a crack appeared in my windshield overnight

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 12:14 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a crack appeared in my windshield overnight

i really am unsure what to think or do about this one...

its been pretty cold here, 20's and teen's at night. snow for the last couple days, not that much snow though.

i went out to my garage this morning and was cleaning of the film of dirt and whatnot from my headlights and i look up at my windshield and i have about a 4" crack that goes from the a-pillar and towards the center of the window on the passenger side.

i haven't been hit by any rocks or anything lately and even if that was the case there would be some sort of impact point, there is none. this is a nice clean crack that starts at the very edge of the window and goes inward frm the a-pillar. the crack starts from under the black molding strip

i can't think of anything that i've done or anything thats happened to my car would have caused in. is it possible my windsheild is defective? could i even argue something like that with acura and get them to cover it? there is no little ding where something hit it, its just a clean crack from the edge. body stress or something?

this is a bit frustrating and i don't want to claim it on insurance when its a defect in the car... i'm afraid its going to get worse if i don't get it fixed but do i go to acura about it? anyone else have a problem like this?
Old 12-20-2003, 01:24 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Wow! That is scary! I think you should call up your dealer and ask them to replace it!!!
Old 12-20-2003, 01:44 PM
Instructor

yeah, i'm going to call monday and see what they say. i found another post on the club-tsx site with someone else who had a stress crack in their windsheild. the dealer agreed to replace it. this is the only other post i can find with someone with a similar issue. his had cracked in the heat though, mine was in the cold. i wonder if somehow me turning the defrost on after the car had been sitting out in the cold caused it?

the car had been sitting at a resturant last night, i had it valet parked and the idiot valet people didn't remove any of the ice or snow off the car when they brought it back to me so i had to crank the defrost on high so i could see (i would have scraped the car off but i was downtown and would have been blocking traffic).

i'm just nervous the dealer will be able to deny any warranty repair on it, which would be easy to do i think. they could just tell me something hit me and its not their problem.
Old 12-20-2003, 10:14 PM
Instructor

well, this just gets even better. the crack is growing. i went out for dinner tonight and as we were driving my girlfriend said "the crack is growing" so i look over and its now about 12" long and is creeping towards teh center of my windshield.

needless to say i'm getting a little mad. and i just have this bad feeling acura is gonna say its from the weather or something. i'm now driving around with fogged up windows b/c i'm afraid to turn the front defrost on b/c it will make the crack worse.

i have to go somewhere tomorrow, about an hours drive. i'm worried about the window getting worse and wondering what this is gonna look like by the time the dealer opens monday AM
Old 12-20-2003, 10:32 PM
Drifting

OMG, this sounds BAD. You know, whether it will be covered by warranty or not, I don't think you have any other choice but to have it fixed! Still, if it's just the weather (which does not sound that extreme to me! But that's just all relative LOL) it does sound like a defective windscreen to me. Call the dealer first thing on Monday morning and keep us posted. Good luck!
Old 12-20-2003, 10:34 PM
Instructor

yeah, no matter what i have to get it fixed. i think its a stress crack due to either the windsheild being defector or maybe its just installed wrong. we all know about the window creaking noise, perhaps the windsheild can only take so much of it...

i hope acura will cover it... i don't see any impact points along the crack
Old 12-21-2003, 08:21 AM
Advanced

Definteily reduce your driving, maybe have your girl drive for you, no point in adding insult to injury, and give acura more fire to fight with,

they should definitely replace it though.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:28 PM
Instructor

took some pic's of the crack. please escuse the dust on the car, lots of salt on the road so my car's a dusty mess

the crack extends under the rubber seal. there is no real impact point that i can see on there, the crack comes from under the seal then sort of turns up and towards the center of the window. on the top pic you can see a chip near the seal, but it doesn't look like an impact chip to me (i had plenty of them on my old car) it looks like the crack just made a turn and chipped there. the light hits it sort of funny in the pic

i'll see what acura says tomorrow
Old 12-21-2003, 09:46 PM
Drifting

OMG! This looks awful! More importantly, I worry about your safety. In fact, if it were trauma, since this is tempered glass, it should have shattered into a million small pieces already. So this is another point to back you up tomorrow when you call them - it's a spontaneously crack rather than you smashing it!

Please do keep us posted! I hope this is a very, very rare occurence...
Old 12-21-2003, 10:16 PM
2006 DGP Sold 10/24/2012

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whoa, lot's of speculation and hand-wringing going on here with no input from an expert. I have to replace a windshield every year on one of my 3 cars as a matter of routine, so I'm somewhat familiar with the drill...

First of all get an expert opinion from both your Acura dealer and an auto glass shop; just because you can't see a cause doesn't mean it doesn't exist... There's a reason it cracked.

You also might want to consider adding zero-deductable glass coverage to your insurance policy; it's not expensive.

Good luck and let us know what you discover as the cause.

Santa Rosa Steve
Old 12-21-2003, 10:24 PM
Instructor

you're right, i really have no idea what the cause is but obviously there is one.. my first step is the acura dealer, the next step is a glass shop if acura is no help.

all i know is nothing hit me, i too have been through a lot of windshield replacements and fixes on my past cars and i'm pretty familiar with different impact cracks, but i've never had one like this. from everything i've read and from pic's i've seen they typically describe this type of crack as a stress crack, and there are a number of causes (including impacts, but if there is no impact point it can also be material defects, body stress, etc).

there isa similar post to mine over on clubtsx and the issue sounds very similar to mine, and with all of the issues people are having with creaking and popping sounds from their windshield i'm a little suspicious about the cause, b/c i too had some of those same noises and tonight i found most of them to be gone. but as i said, i can't say anything for sure, i'll hopefully have more info tomorrow.

if acura says its not their fault i'll just submit it to insurance, i have a low deductable on comprehensive so its not a big deal.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:17 AM
2nd Gear

You should definately have a glass shop look at it. Usually a crack starts from an impact. Like someone said, you may not even notice the impact mark. Look at the crack at the outer edge of the windshield, in the black band. If you get a "chip" there, it is almost gauranteed to crack. Think of the windshield like a drum, it is "tighter" at the edges and "looser" in the middle. You can tap on the glass with your finger and hear the difference. Occassionally you do see a stress crack, but not often. There is also the chance that there is something in the windshield bed. A small burr where the windshield sits could cause a crack. Find yourself a good glass shop and let them decide.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:08 AM
Instructor

Well, apparently I was hit by something. I went over to Acura and the service manager took a look at the car for me. We pulled the rubber strip up a bit and right on the edge, like right on the very edge of that rubber there is a really small chip and under the lighting at the svc dept you could see where the crack started there and then went in two directions.

Anyway, I'm glad I at least know what it is now and I don't have to be worried about some defect in the car that caused it.

So I talked to them about replacement and costs and whatnot and they contract glass work out to a local glass shop down the road, and told me that I should just call them myself b/c if the dealer arranges it they mark it up. So I should just cut the middle man out of the deal and save myself some money. He gave me the shop info and said the shop buys all its Acura parts from them so I don't have to worry about aftermarket stuff. I appreciate that they were honest with me about that

So I now have an appointment for tomorrow to get it fixed. Hopefully the weather is ok tomorrow, its gonna be around 45, they said as long as its not below freezing there aren't any problems with doing replacements.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My windshield cracked for a different reason (pics in the signature, collison with a hubcap) and I think mine was the first to go that I'm aware of.

The glass shop told me that windshield glass, like all glass, can crack for many reasons and it doesn't have to be due to an impact... it can just happen due to a defect in the glass itself. Under cold extremes and heat extremes, glass can fracture for no reason at all. For instance, my 89 325i rear glass EXPLODED one morning while I was sitting in it with just the heat on. Was later told that the that piece of glass floated and it was a known defect that it will bind itself up and under the right conditions will shatter.

So, being that the TSX is not a floating windshield, more than likely this crack did start as a small (microscopic) stone chip and each time you run your heat and it cools down, it will continue to grow... nothing you can do about it, but get it replaced.

Also, WATCH them install the windshield if you can. My TSX now has a very tiny dent (almost unnoticeable) from the guy leaning on my car while putting the windshield in.

Good luck.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

I have had a moon roof (same type of safety glass) crack the same way but it was due to something hitting it. No visible sign of an impact point. In fact where it cracked and were the rock hit were in 2 different places.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:11 AM
Instructor

I'm thinking the chip may have been for quite a while before the crack started. The chip was really small and the lights in svc dept made it show up a little better. Its not something I would have noticed unless I was actually looking for it.

It was snowy and cold here Friday so I have a feeling the combination of the snow/ice on my window (which tends to get packed in right along the molding) and then the defroster caused the problem. And like VTTSX said, the edges of the window are much more prone to cracking than the inner areas of the windshield.

Oh well, there wasn't much I could do to stop it, hopefully the new windshield will hold up a little better
Old 12-22-2003, 11:23 AM
2006 DGP Sold 10/24/2012

Originally posted by prolix21
So I now have an appointment for tomorrow to get it fixed. Hopefully the weather is ok tomorrow, its gonna be around 45, they said as long as its not below freezing there aren't any problems with doing replacements.
Good news! I'm surprised that they can get a replacement so quickly. Be sure to ask them if it is a Honda or another manufacturer's part... more than likely it wil not have come from Japan, but will be made to the same specs. I've found PPG glass to be of comparable quality.

BTW, check with your insurer regarding the zero-deductable glass coverage; if you've gone through one windshield already you may live in an area that is prone to this problem.... I do and wouldn't be without it.

Santa Rosa Steve
Old 12-22-2003, 12:43 PM
Instructor

The replacement windshield I am getting is PPG, I made sure to ask everyone I got quotes from. From what people have said here and other sites I've read PPG seems to have the best reputation. Do we know who makes the OEM Honda windshields?

I'm going to check into a zero deductable, I used to have one but Progressive kept jacking up my rates and said that it was unusual to have a 0$ comprehensive deductable. I changed it to 250$, which isn't a big deal. Hopefully replacing windshields doesn't become a habit for me, although the roads around here blow. The first chip I got in my window was from i-471 coming out of Cincinnati, and I think thats where I go the one that ultimately caused the crack. The lesson here is to avoid 471

I was pretty suprised they had the glass too, one auto-glass shop didn't even have the TSX in their computer so they had to call around to get a price.

I'm just going to pay for this windshield out of pocket, it seems to me that Progressive is looking for any reason to jack up rates right now (probably the case with most insurance co's).
Old 12-22-2003, 02:09 PM
2006 DGP Sold 10/24/2012

How much are they charging you for that windshield? It gets expensive if you're going through one per year like I seem to be doing lately...:'(

Sounds like a line to me regarding the zero deductable glass coverage from your insurance agent... my policy included it without my asking...

Did you notice that the TSX glass contains an "Asahi" among the DOT and other markings? Recycled beer bottles?

I had one replaced in my Miata which was made in Mexico from recycled glass... lasted all of one year before it had to be replaced... old Corona bottles? Never again...

Good Luck with your replacement, and glad you discovered the problem so quickly.

Santa Rosa Steve
Old 12-22-2003, 02:22 PM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Santa Rosa Steve
Good news! I'm surprised that they can get a replacement so quickly. Be sure to ask them if it is a Honda or another manufacturer's part... more than likely it wil not have come from Japan, but will be made to the same specs. I've found PPG glass to be of comparable quality.

BTW, check with your insurer regarding the zero-deductable glass coverage; if you've gone through one windshield already you may live in an area that is prone to this problem.... I do and wouldn't be without it.

Santa Rosa Steve
Oh c'mon isn't part of the fun of living in California dodging all the debris on the freeway?

When I had my Pontiac I had it all of 3 months before a damned truck cracked that windshield.

So far so good with the TSX. Let's not curse it.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:26 PM
Instructor

I'm paying 353$ for the replacement. Safelite autoglass was less but I don't really trust them and after watching their people try to install a new window in the rain a few months ago (on a Volvo here in my office building) I question their employee's intelligence. Needless to say they were back the next day to do it again..

The place I'm using is Mel's Auto Glass, the Acura dealer recommended them.

As far as the insurance bit, Progressive will do glass repairs free of charge, replacement requires you to pay your deductable and they pick up the rest. I'll have to see what the difference is for a 0$ replacement on my car, I just know they were raising premiums a while ago and a 0$ jacked the premium up quite a bit. I agree if this becomes a problem it may be worth it to eat the higher rate...

It really does seem that windshields are more and more fragile lately. I know the same is true of auto paint, all the new EPA regulations have required auto makers to re-formulate. I wonder if its affected auto-glass too
Old 12-23-2003, 11:57 AM
STC
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I'd try and get an OEM Honda one if I were you.
Old 12-23-2003, 12:28 PM
2006 DGP Sold 10/24/2012

I'm paying 353$ for the replacement.
Not too bad, IIRC the last one I replaced on my CL was over $600.
Safelite autoglass was less but I don't really trust them.
Good call, that was the company that I mentioned above... their installer was actually very professional, but the windshield started pitting immediately. At least it cracked within a year so I was able to replace it quickly.

Santa Rosa Steve
Old 12-23-2003, 12:58 PM
Instructor

but the windshield started pitting immediately. At least it cracked within a year so I was able to replace it quickly.
Yeah, although I asked what brand the window (at Safelite) was and they said PPG. I think the big problems are from their own brand of windshields, I've read a lot of stuff about them being cheaply made and pitting and cracking easily. PPG is supposed to be good, and I think I even read they are the OEM for Honda.

I had to have my windshield replacement re-scheduled for Friday, they had to order some other molding for the TSX and due to the holiday Acura couldn't get it to them for today. Thats fine though, I'm actually gonna be up right near their shop so I'm gonna drop the car off and let them do it.

Out of every place I called this was the only one who mentioned having to replace any molding or seals. Makes me question the other places and if they re-use parts that maybe shouldn't be re-used.
Old 12-24-2003, 05:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
PPG makes most of the replacement glass for all cars. Safelite did my window and it was Honda OEM... guess what, their PPG too.
Old 12-26-2003, 05:36 PM
Instructor

well this has turned into a huge mess and i'm a little pissed now

i went to this place b/c the Acura dealer recommended them and said they do good work, use the right Acura parts, etc. well, i drop my car off this AM and go do other things for a few hours. come back, the car isn't done yet. ok thats fine, stuff happens, they had to go to the Acura dealer and get another part. i expected that since the TSX is new and i doubt they have ever worked on one. no big deal

well, the car comes out. all done, nice new window. looks fine, i looked over it, should have looked closer but i leave and go home. i start looking over my car, the trim all looks straight, nice new weatherstripping along the top. all looks well until i look towards the passenger side trim from the drivers side of the car. the rubber seal is nowhere near the glass, its just hanging out, i can see the edge of the windshield underneath it. not good. i check the drivers side, same thing although not nearly as bad.

i call the autoglass place, they say bring it back. so i take it back, they agree its not right. its back in the shop for 20 minutes. comes back, looks the same. i say "hey, its not fixed". the guy says "hm. yeah, thats not right. i didn't fix it but i'll take it back into the shop and fix it". ok, so i'm getting sort of annoyed but they are at least trying to fix it.

comes back again, looks better, tons of tape all over it... ok fine. they re-sealed something, its cold, i understand it may need to setup. so the car is back here and its been sitting, well the trim is lifting up again, tape is coming undone, its just a mess. i don't think they installed the trim correctly or the plastic and rubber has gotten a memory from when they removed it and put it back. there is no way they are gonna fix this without replacing trim and probably re-seating the windshield. i think its just put in wrong or slightly off and putting pressure on the trim and lifting it up. thats my guess at least

so unless some miracle happens by morning i'm going to be making yet another trip to the auto glass. i gave them the benefit if the doubt the first few times, but now getting a little pissed.

so thats my latest update, i hope to have a better one tomorrow but who knows... i just don't get it, i had a number of people tell me this was a good shop.

moda_way - after they replaced your window does your side trim (the big black strip running from the bottom of the windshield to the top of the rear window) seal completely against the glass? thats what they can't seem to get fixed on mine. the rubber seal should be seated flush against the window and i've probably got a 1/16 - 1/4" gap all along mine.
Old 12-26-2003, 06:01 PM
2006 DGP Sold 10/24/2012

Sorry to hear of your problem prolix21. Too bad you have to be the guinea pig for all of the TSX's to come. I never noticed that long side trim strip until you mentioned it, and I can't recall ever seeing a part like that on any other car. Maybe they haven't either...

Santa Rosa Steve
Old 12-26-2003, 09:31 PM
Instructor

yeah, i pretty much feel like a guinea pig right now. i had hopes that this would go well, but so far its been far from it. it seemed like all they wanted to do was do quick fix today, basically rely on glue and tape to fix it, instead of finding the real cause as to why the seals won't stay down. i'm not gonna let them glue it anymore, that trim isn't supposed to be glued down. if they keep messing with me they are gonna get an earful tomorrow. i noticed they are members of the BBB, if I have to I will go that route to get this taken care of. needless to say my acura dealer is going to get a letter about what this place has done to my car (since they are the ones who told me to go there).
Old 12-27-2003, 12:37 AM
Drifting

A big rock hit my winshield last week and took a big ol chunk out of my glass. I'm sure it'll have to be replaced and this thread is scaring the hell out of me. There is no question I'm going to have the dealership do the repair. Also got a speeding ticket later that day.
Old 12-27-2003, 02:04 AM
STC
Burning Brakes

As i said should have gone w/ OEM windshield.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:48 AM
2006 DGP Sold 10/24/2012

Originally posted by Jason
There is no question I'm going to have the dealership do the repair.
Don't be surprised if they send you to an auto glass shop. Most dealers don't do windshield replacements; they farm out the work to specialists.

Originally posted by STC
As i said should have gone w/ OEM windshield.
The windshield is not the problem here, it's the trim piece. Check that thing out... ever seen one like it before?

Santa Rosa Steve
Old 12-27-2003, 01:09 PM
Instructor

well, i took the car in today and sat there in front of the guy and pushed the trim all over the place and said "hey, see this? it shouldn't do this. it didn't do it when i brought it in and it sure as hell shouldn't do it now". the guy just kind of looked at me and said he'd take it back into the shop.

so i go into their office and sit and wait. within a couple minutes the owner comes out to talk to me. he said sometimes there are problems with the clips and he agrees this isn't right and shouldn't have been left like this. so what they are going to do is call my acura dealer and order all new clips and whatever else he thinks needs to be replaced to make this right. so i get all new clips on the trim, new clips for the cowling and probably new seals and everything too.

so far so good, at least i'm dealing directly with the owner now and he knows whats wrong and agrees it shouldn't be the way it is now. they are going to just take the whole windshield out when the parts come in and re-seat everything and put all new clips in. he thinks the clips probably sprung or bent when they removed the trim the first time. i don't think they have ever worked on a TSX before

so right now i'm just waiting for my new parts to all come in, hopefully monday i can schedule a new appointment and get this all fixed. its frustrating but i feel like i made some progress today
Old 12-27-2003, 01:53 PM
2006 DGP Sold 10/24/2012

i don't think they have ever worked on a TSX before
Bet you're right. Good to hear that you are getting some satisfaction from them... I'm surprised that they tried to re-use the original clips though. I'll be sure to demand new clips when it's time to replace mine....

Santa Rosa Steve
Old 12-27-2003, 08:47 PM
5th Gear

I picked up my TSX on 12/23. On 12/26 I got my first windshield chip with less than 500 miles. I went straight to the glass shop and they fixed it, but still a little mark where it happened. I guess the newness is gone.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:27 PM
Instructor

drove my car around for a while today, i can't wait to get this fixed. all kinds of horrible rattles from the windshield. its gonna rain tonight and tomorrow, i'll be paranoid for the next 24 hours b/c the seals aren't really against the window correctly... hopefully i'll have an appointment to get this fixed tomorrow.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:39 PM
STC
Burning Brakes

The windshield is not the problem here, it's the trim piece. Check that thing out... ever seen one like it before?

Santa Rosa Steve
I have, my friend cracked his windshield to his S2000 a yr ago.
1st insurance tried to give a non OEM one.
We saw the guy install it. He told me buddy always go OEM.
The glass was okay, but the trims and tape and stuff that came w/ it make it sit funny.

Then he complained an got an OEM one. Same guy came and installed the new glass. No probs, perfect fit all around.

just my exp.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:43 PM
Instructor

well, if this one doesn't fit right after they screw with it i'm gonna request an oem windshield. i'm giving them one more chance to make this right. we'll see how it goes.

edit - got a call from the glass place about an hour ago. the parts are on order (new clips i assume) and may be here wednesday, but if not then after the 1st....

the more i sit here and think the more i wonder if i should just call and tell them i want an OEM windshield. the car was just rattling and vibrating all over the damn place this morning and the longer i sit here at work the more angry i get. a $30k car, only a few months old and this glass place has pretty much f**ked it up. they can't even say if the new clips will help.

bleh.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:49 PM
2006 DGP Sold 10/24/2012

...it's the trim piece. Check that thing out... ever seen one like it before?
Originally posted by STC
I have, my friend cracked his windshield to his S2000 a yr ago.
The trim piece we're talking about is one long strip of hard rubber that runs from the base of the windshield along the complete length of the roof to the rear back glass... 7 1/2 feet!

they can't even say if the new clips will help.
i don't think they have ever worked on a TSX before
Look's like you were right...

Santa Rosa Steve
Old 01-07-2004, 05:45 PM
Instructor

well, attempt #4 was made today to repair my TSX's windshield. they had ordered all new clips and whatnot to re-attach the molding and cowling down by the wipers

dropped the car off at 12:30, they told me an hour or so, it ended up finally being ready at 5.

when i got there a manager or something came out to show me the clips and how the molding is attached. its definitely strange and they had never seen anything like it. there is a strip of plastic with a couple slits in it (for lack of a better term). the plastic has adhesive on both sides and bonds to the windshield and i guess the molding. then there are these clip type things that latch in there and clip onto the molding and hold it all together. well its pretty delicate looking and its a one time deal, if you try to take them apart it breaks these 4 teeth off.

so my car is now sitting in the garage all taped up. i'm gonna leave it taped for a couple days, its insanely cold here (single digits at night) so they suggested leaving it alone for a few days so that the strips bond properly. i can't really tell if its fixed b/c of the tape. we'll see in a few days i guess.

what i don't get is that this is all that the shop does. they only do auto glass and you'd think they would look out for stuff like this, and it shouldn't take me 4 trips to get it fixed (i hope this is the last one).

oh well. this has been frustrating to say the least.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:18 AM
2006 DGP Sold 10/24/2012

How's the fit on that new windshield, prolix21?

Santa Rosa Steve

Quick Reply: a crack appeared in my windshield overnight