clunk sound in front, when first moving.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 09:40 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question clunk sound in front, when first moving.

I have the automatic. When shifting to drive and starting to roll down the road, I hear a clunk in the very front of the car. I've been assuming something in the ventilation is closing. But I'm starting to wonder if there is an issue with the transmission. Anyone heard of this condition? Thanks.
-The rock in so. cal.
Old 10-18-2003, 09:50 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Likely the ABS ....

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=2574
Old 10-18-2003, 09:53 PM
Advanced

there is a similar thread somewhere else...I hear it to, more of a springy boing than a clunk, I think people learned it was the ABS priming itself, a safety feature that ensures brakes are working properly everytime you start moving. Hopefully someone else can confirm this as well.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:13 PM
'04 MSM/Auto/No Nav

My MSM/auto has about 1800 miles on it and I've just started to notice this clunking in the right front. It happens everytime I start from a dead stop or if I'm moving very slowly (in a parking lot) and apply the brakes. I don't think it has anything to do with the ABS because I have that noise also (that occurs every morning when I first take off and never again) and this is totally different. It sounds like what I would think a lose control arm or CV joint with too much play in it would sound like. Last night I put the car up on the jack and banged around in the right front wheel area and nothing. Anyway, I'll be taking it to the dealer shortly- we'll see what they have to say...
Old 01-07-2004, 12:43 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My 6MT does this too. it has since may when i bought the car, and i believe its normal...?? It seems like it happens exactly at 2000 rpms, happens once, only when the engine is cold.
Old 01-07-2004, 01:26 PM
Audi Driving Snob

If it happens only when the car is cold it's actually the ABS pump priming and firing @ ~ 10mph. If it's all the time take that thing in. Could be any number of suspension components or even brakes that aren't calibrated right.
Old 01-07-2004, 01:27 PM
'04 MSM/Auto/No Nav

Originally posted by RogerPodacter
My 6MT does this too. it has since may when i bought the car, and i believe its normal...?? It seems like it happens exactly at 2000 rpms, happens once, only when the engine is cold.
I assume you're talking about the grind/buzz sound when you first take off in the morning that last for about a second? That I believe is the ABS.

Now if you are talking about a constant clunking when taking off from a stop light or tapping the brakes at slow speeds- that is something different and very wrong in my opinion...
Old 01-07-2004, 01:38 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by ryanc44
I assume you're talking about the grind/buzz sound when you first take off in the morning that last for about a second? That I believe is the ABS.

Now if you are talking about a constant clunking when taking off from a stop light or tapping the brakes at slow speeds- that is something different and very wrong in my opinion...
I am talking about the "ABS" clunk, which i dont have a problem with. I have never experienced the other problem that you are talking about. No constant clunking on my TSX...
Old 01-16-2004, 05:33 PM
'04 MSM/Auto/No Nav

Originally posted by ryanc44
My MSM/auto has about 1800 miles on it and I've just started to notice this clunking in the right front. It happens everytime I start from a dead stop or if I'm moving very slowly (in a parking lot) and apply the brakes. I don't think it has anything to do with the ABS because I have that noise also (that occurs every morning when I first take off and never again) and this is totally different. It sounds like what I would think a lose control arm or CV joint with too much play in it would sound like. Last night I put the car up on the jack and banged around in the right front wheel area and nothing. Anyway, I'll be taking it to the dealer shortly- we'll see what they have to say...
Update: Took the car into the dealership. I mentioned to them that the noise seemed to have started sometime after I had an alignment done (at this same dealership about two weeks before.) Turns out they loosened the front suspension when did the alignment (not sure why?) and my right front strut was twisted a bit when they tightened it back up so it didn't quite seat right. After giving them a bit of a tongue lashing, my car is back to it's non-clunking self.

It's funny how everytime I take a car to a dealership something happens that re-inforces my belief in doing all my own car repairs and maintenance. If only I had my own alignment machine...