clickin noise on clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 08:32 PM
Like It Smooth!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xizor
someone posted this before?

link
Bingo! I had this clutch pedal "click" noise for months that gets louder with use. Finally brought my car in for eval. According to Acura Tech Support, the noise was indeed caused by a defective clutch master cylinder. My car was in the sick bay for 4 days waiting for parts... The CMC was then replaced and I have not heard a single noise since. If you are experiencing the same issue, I suggest that you take your car in ASAP and get it fixed.

~Adam
Old 06-29-2004, 10:04 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamC
Bingo! I had this clutch pedal "click" noise for months that gets louder with use. Finally brought my car in for eval. According to Acura Tech Support, the noise was indeed caused by a defective clutch master cylinder. My car was in the sick bay for 4 days waiting for parts... The CMC was then replaced and I have not heard a single noise since. If you are experiencing the same issue, I suggest that you take your car in ASAP and get it fixed.

~Adam
eek!

says the person who's had the creak fixed with lube only to have it return later.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:23 PM
5th Gear

Possible fix for you

Soon after new (1st 1000 mi.) developed a strange sound/feel in clutch pedal. One, or a few, clicks as depress pedal, sort of like an over-wound rubber band. Much more common in warm weather. First dealer (WPB, Fla.) found no problem put silicone grease - no help. Now 11k mi on car and took to dealer in Tallahassee. Replaced M/Cyl Ass and problem is gone and clutch engagement is much improved too. Part # 46920-S7A-A02.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:30 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

my clicking has actually gone away. maybe its the warm weather, but I haven't felt it in a month or so.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:27 PM
7th Gear

Just got my TSX last month - it's been smooth as silk, other than the the clutch "click". It's not the relay either (similar to other posts), that is a much fainter sound, and there is no associated feeling in the pedal when I pass the relay point in travel.

I get this noise and the "rubber band unspringing" feeling in the cluth when I am releasing the clutch about 60-75% of outward travel - it does not impact engagement at all, just really annoying. Do not get it when I push the clutch in, just letting it out. The sound is pretty noticible as well....I'm going to take it into the dealer, anybody else noticeably feel it in the pedal in addition to the sound?

Old 07-10-2004, 03:22 AM
I am Ahab!

I've got the the 10k maintanence next saturday and I'll be asking them about the master cylinder then. Will update.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:10 PM
Intermediate

Had my car for a year and the clicking on my TSX started at 9K. The dealership said it was the spring rubbing against the clutch so they swapped the clutch assembly. That didn't fix the problem and took my car back today at 10k and they just greased it up and that fixed the problem for 2 days. Now they're saying that I need to get a washer put at the end of the spring around the pin because will prevent it from it from clicking. Got it done today and the problem is still not fixed. They told me that there's nothing else they can do because Honda doesn't recognize this as being a warranty issue. What the heck???? Apparently, they're not trying hard enough.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:15 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by babyd927
Had my car for an year and the clicking on my TSX started at 9K. The dealership said it was the spring rubbing against the clutch so they swapped the clutch assembly. That didn't fix the problem and took my car back today at 12k. Now they're are saying that I need to get a washer put at the end of the spring around the pin because that's what making it click. Got it done today and the problem is still not fixed. They told me that there's nothing else they can do because honda doesn't recognize this as being a warranty issue. What the heck????
What bullshit dealer told you that? Be sure to let us all know so members in TX know who to avoid. After you do that, check out another dealer and let them know of the problem. There are fixes listed in this thread.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:16 PM
Burning Brakes

I have an intermittent clicking clutch. I have 7500 miles on my TSX, and it started a few months ago--maybe around 4000 or 5000 miles.

We need to keep reporting this problem so that they know it is not normal. These cars have been available for over a year now, plus a little longer in overseas markets as the Honda Accord, so they MUST know about it!
Old 07-13-2004, 06:10 AM
Racer

I took mine to the dealership and they applied some lubricant. I think it went away for a day or two then it came back but not as bad. I may have trained myself to ignore it because I don't really notice it that much anymore although it does still occur.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:13 AM
Burning Brakes

mine is there but i really dont pay attention to it anymore. i tested a few acuras on the show room floor that had a manual, and all of them had the same noise.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:04 PM
7th Gear

Update from the dealer - dealer says that were able to reproduce it, and already overnighted a new clutch assembly - sounds similar to babyd927 - hope it's not the same result....
Old 07-16-2004, 08:36 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by babyd927
Had my car for a year and the clicking on my TSX started at 9K. The dealership said it was the spring rubbing against the clutch so they swapped the clutch assembly. That didn't fix the problem and took my car back today at 10k and they just greased it up and that fixed the problem for 2 days. Now they're saying that I need to get a washer put at the end of the spring around the pin because will prevent it from it from clicking. Got it done today and the problem is still not fixed. They told me that there's nothing else they can do because Honda doesn't recognize this as being a warranty issue. What the heck???? Apparently, they're not trying hard enough.
David McDavid Acura in Austin, TX
Old 07-16-2004, 08:44 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AdamC

~Adam
I wonder how long it would take for the click to come back.....
Old 07-17-2004, 10:43 PM
I am Ahab!

just got mine lubed again. I mentioned the master cylinder but they didn't change it. They called acura and asked. They were told there was a fix being worked on but nothing yet.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:15 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Gator_TSX
Update from the dealer - dealer says that were able to reproduce it, and already overnighted a new clutch assembly - sounds similar to babyd927 - hope it's not the same result....
Update...dealer (Columbia Acura in Cincinnati) replaced the clutch assembly. Problem solved, clutch operates smooth as silk now.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:22 PM
My bolonga has a 1st name

Anyone have any expereiince with any Acura dealers in Florida? I go to school in Tampa, my grand parents live in Orlando, and my Parents live in Ft. Lauderdale/Miami... So I have a lotta dealerships that I'm able to get access to... I'm 19 and the dealership's first reaction to everything is... he's a kid he screwed it up.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:33 PM
Burning Brakes

I guess I'll wait 'til Acura/Honda comes up with a solution to the clicking. Clutch clicking is not normal, expected, or acceptable.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:29 AM
Instructor

Mine did it.

They replaced the clutch master cylinder and it fixed it.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sveet
Mine did it.

They replaced the clutch master cylinder and it fixed it.
That would be curious if that fixes the problem long-term. My clutch engagement was perfectly quiet for the first 5,000 miles or so.

At least shifting has remained smooth.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:26 AM
04 remembrance

Originally Posted by 97AcuraCL
Anyone have any expereiince with any Acura dealers in Florida? I go to school in Tampa, my grand parents live in Orlando, and my Parents live in Ft. Lauderdale/Miami... So I have a lotta dealerships that I'm able to get access to... I'm 19 and the dealership's first reaction to everything is... he's a kid he screwed it up.
If that's the case, you got some complaining to do. It doesn't matter about your age, the only thing that'll matter is you being unable to get a loaner.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:42 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

I just started getting the clicking sound today. Its really low and barely noticable, but I guess I should have it checked out.

Has anyone been able to lube whatever needs to be lubed on their own? I'm wondering if its something I can try myself.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:37 AM
Intermediate

I just got off the phone with my dealership in Austin, TX. Since this would be the 4th time with the clicking issue, I had suggested to the Warranty Manager about replacing the master cylinder. She talked to her tech and decided that they could try swapping it to see if the clicking goes away. Since my car has other issues....might as well get everything fixed at once . I'm pretty sure they are sick and tired of hearing from me also :P.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brad
That would be curious if that fixes the problem long-term. My clutch engagement was perfectly quiet for the first 5,000 miles or so.

At least shifting has remained smooth.
Mine was doing it by 3000 miles and I had it fixed ato about 5000 miles.

I now have 15K miles and it still works perfect. No clicking...........

Hopefully it keeps working without clicking.

I am more worried about losing my stereo,clock, and HVAC backlighting again...............
Old 07-28-2004, 09:09 PM
My bolonga has a 1st name

Aside from other problems with the dealership...

They said that its most likly a problem with the clutch, and the clutch is not covered under warranty, so there is nothing that can be done about the clicking.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:49 PM
I am Ahab!

they're wrong. Ask them to call another dealership about it while you're next to them.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tony4311
they're wrong. Ask them to call another dealership about it while you're next to them.
Another vote for "wrong". It isn't the clutch material but the master cylinder (at last in my case). Friggin dealers have way too many service writers / techs that have the "not covered" mindset.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:56 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

So has anyone who had the MC replaced had the clicking problem re-appear?

Also, I'm wondering if any damage was being done because of the faulty MC in there. Could premature clutch wear be a result as it was in this case? https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6578
Old 11-02-2004, 09:18 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by fdl

Also, I'm wondering if any damage was being done because of the faulty MC in there. Could premature clutch wear be a result as it was in this case? https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6578

bump.

anyone?
Old 11-02-2004, 11:48 AM
A-TSX Oldie

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
still too early to tell for me. I just had my entire clutch assembly replaced last Friday (which I hope includes the M/C) and so far so good. Then again, I had the push-rod lubed last time, and it was fine for all of 10 days before the clicks/creaks came back.

as for the M/C causing premature clutch wear, personally I can't see the corelation, but what do I know.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:26 AM
Moderator Alumnus

So add me to the list of folks that ignored the clicking sound and not has the squeaking sound. Time to go to the dealer (when I have a chance) and see what they say.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fdl

I had mine replaced at something like 10K miles and it just started doing it again. I now have 23K miles on it.

I guess it's back for another MC. You would think they would learn???????????
Old 11-19-2004, 06:58 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

guys , keep in mind that not all noises are the MC. Sometimes it could just be the relay/switch used to allow the car to start, etc. IMO is its a softer click, its the relay, if its a louder squeek, its the MC. But i'm no mechanic so what do i know But i would have then check that first since its alot less intrusive to replace the relay/switch.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:04 PM
Racer

I have about 20K miles now. Mine went away. We'll see if it comes back this winter.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:04 PM
Racer

can anyone else also feel the clicking? I can feel it,sometimes when i push the clutch in it feels as if it clicked like 2-3 times but i hear i DISTINCT click is this what everyone else is hearing last time i took it in they only lubed something forget what it was this time im gonna ask them to look into it a bit more
Old 11-19-2004, 07:47 PM
I am Ahab!

I can feel it.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:36 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

you can feel it if its the relay as well. So i'd still have them check that out FIRST.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by fdl
you can feel it if its the relay as well. So i'd still have them check that out FIRST.
Will do. Hopefully everything will be taken care of along with the clicking noise
Old 11-20-2004, 07:50 PM
Instructor

I can feel and hear mine.

Like I said, they replaced my MC at something like 5K miles and it fixed it until last week. Now it does it again at 24K miles.

Apparently it's a crap design, since I have now had it twice. Must simply be either a design or a manufacturing flaw.

It is definitly not the switch. It does it in about 3 spots right now.

I have lost my respect for ACURA. This is a fun car, but I have had way too many problems to feel confident about this brand.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:34 PM
UK Accord Type-S

can someone please check this...

with the car engine off try pressing the clutch pedal in quickly and then press it in slowly...do you find that when you press it quickly the click is louder?

I have a click too and just wanted to make sure if this is similar to what people are hearing?....anyone have a fix yet? I am sure that in my case it maybe a spring in the pedal mechanism since the clutch engagement is very smooth......would like some feedback, thanks...OH AND

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!!!

Quick Reply: clickin noise on clutch