Check Engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004 | 10:01 PM
Cruisin'

Check Engine

Hey Guys,
Need some help...so my stupid check engine light (the yellow one) has gone off for the 3rd time...the dealer doesn't have an appointment until mid-December and I need to drive somewhere that's about 4 hours away (one way). Do you think I should drive my car? I'm just worried something is going to happen to the engine? Any advice?

Oh, the dealer replaced the valve, so that wasn't the problem...thanks!
Old 11-21-2004 | 11:53 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by zumzum
Hey Guys,
Need some help...so my stupid check engine light (the yellow one) has gone off for the 3rd time...the dealer doesn't have an appointment until mid-December and I need to drive somewhere that's about 4 hours away (one way). Do you think I should drive my car? I'm just worried something is going to happen to the engine? Any advice?

Oh, the dealer replaced the valve, so that wasn't the problem...thanks!
Which valve?

And try and get an appointment ASAP with another dealer, just in case it was something important with high damage potential if not looked after quickly.
Old 11-22-2004 | 02:55 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Chances are it is emission related. Best friend has a 98 Camry LE and it's check engine light has been on since 45k miles (has 102k now), dealer never able to fix it and it runs fine otherwise. Unless your oil light (low oil pressure) comes on, I think it's safe to drive. Don't take this the wrong way, but do you tighten your gas cap at least three clicks? Drive it and pay attention to how it behaves and see the service people ASAP, but most likely it is a simple emission-control problem.

Let us know what you find out.

Edit: Saw in another post you did $12,000 damage to your TSX in an accident? Was this light coming on or anything before the accident, or after the repairs? Perhaps something wasn't repaired exactly right?
Old 11-22-2004 | 05:20 AM
Cruisin'

It says they replaced the evap canister vent shut valve and some dust filter. I've done the gas cap thing before and it still won't shut off. The service rep said it was most likely an emissions issue and I could drive the car to Cali and back, but since they also told me my car was fine and well, it's not, I just don't know if I should listen to what they have to say. Plus, the earliest appointment at any of the dealers around here is early/mid-December.

About the accident...all the issues that I've been having with my car was after the accident. I don't think the engine was ever damaged, just the structure of the car. I hope it's not because something wasn't fixed right. I'm so frustrated right now. The accident happened in January and I'm still constantly bringing my car to the shop/dealer. I so want to replace my car, but I have no money. This just sucks!
Old 11-22-2004 | 06:16 AM
Race Director

This is why I'd be very weary of a car that's been in an accident - all kind of mysterious things can come up for the rest of its life.

If one afford a TSX one can afford another car.
Old 11-22-2004 | 06:39 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Zum:

As I figured, it appears that it is just an emission problem. Where I live we don't do emissions inspection, but what about where you live? Unless you have an impending inspection, I would just drive the car until I could take it in. I hope it doesn't turn out like my best friend's Camry -- a light that will not go out. Then again, while he chooses to live with it, I know if the car were mine I would freak out. In his case it is emission control, too.

Best of luck in getting this issue resolved. I agree with biker in that I would see about replacing it, though. In my experience, cars are never the same after accidents no matter how well they are repaired.
Old 11-23-2004 | 07:09 AM
Intermediate

I was diving to work this morning and saw that my check engine light came on. I have an injen CAI so I'm hoping it has nothing to do with it. I wasn't the last person to put gas in my car, so I checked the gas cap and was really loose. I am hoping that the light will go off in a day or two.

Does anyone else notice that the gas attendants have a tuff time with the gas cap? That plastic string always seems to get in the way.