Check Emission System AND Check VSA System at the same time?

Old 08-18-2010, 06:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Check Emission System AND Check VSA System at the same time?

So I was driving my car normally and all of a sudden the Check Emission System and Check VSA System came on.

In addition to these two, I noticed the engine revving itself from idle to about 1500rpm when in neutral (6MT).

I pulled over and shut the car off as soon as I pulled off the freeway.
The VSA light went off and the auto revving stopped, but the Emission light stayed on.

Has this happened to anyone else?
The following 2 users liked this post by psteng19:
Jimmy Vu (06-30-2019), Raymond Alvarez (10-17-2020)
Old 08-18-2010, 08:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I would suggest pulling the code to determine what actually went wrong. Most local auto parts store will probably provide the service for free.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm... funny. The CEL was on this morning non the way into work.
But when I started the car at lunch time, it was gone.

Does it keep a log of what code it threw?
Old 08-19-2010, 12:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I think it depends on the code and the type of scanner being used to retrieve it. One of my scanners has a "stored data" field, which might have such info even after the code is no longer displayed. However, I'm not 100% certain how it works as I have not personally experienced such error.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:43 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Some scan tools are able to retrieve past codes stored (no current CEL), unless of course the stored codes were wiped out by a prior scan tool.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:00 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by psteng19
So I was driving my car normally and all of a sudden the Check Emission System and Check VSA System came on.

In addition to these two, I noticed the engine revving itself from idle to about 1500rpm when in neutral (6MT).

I pulled over and shut the car off as soon as I pulled off the freeway.
The VSA light went off and the auto revving stopped, but the Emission light stayed on.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Did you guys ever figure out what happened here, it does not appear to be a big deal since the guy never came back to update the fix.

Mine is doing the exact same thing now.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:03 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The following is my reply to another post, called OIL, In addition to getting the Oil message, I was also getting the VSA/Traction Control and Check Emission lights. My car now has 225,000 miles, and I've used an engine flush twice during the past 25,000 miles, trying to keep things inside the engine cleaner. I haven't had any of these CELs since:

I've had this issue twice, and both times were on rather aggressive right hand city corners, at relatively low speed (20 - 25 mph), where I just cranked the steering wheel over, and nailed the gas. Both times, however, I didn't just have the oil light come on, but also the VSA and Traction Control light, and the Check Emissions light. The first time happened two years ago, when mileage was about 180,000, and then once this spring, with mileage at about 205,000 miles.

I recall that the frist time the codes all cleared themselves, after several restarts. I think the second time I just got my OBDII reader and cleared the codes.

My car uses 1 qt of oil/2,000 miles, but was not low on either occasion.

My oil is regularly changed, but 10,000 miles ago I got a VSA/Traction code which the manual told me might have been a clogged screen, so I gave the engine its first ever flush, which the dealer said is not necessary. I cleared the code, and it's not come back, and after the flush my oil stays cleaner, longer: it used to be BLACK 500 miles after an oil change.

So, the problem may be the switch, but driving maneuvers can also set it off.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:47 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by gdcwatt
The following is my reply to another post, called OIL, In addition to getting the Oil message, I was also getting the VSA/Traction Control and Check Emission lights. My car now has 225,000 miles, and I've used an engine flush twice during the past 25,000 miles, trying to keep things inside the engine cleaner. I haven't had any of these CELs since:

I've had this issue twice, and both times were on rather aggressive right hand city corners, at relatively low speed (20 - 25 mph), where I just cranked the steering wheel over, and nailed the gas. Both times, however, I didn't just have the oil light come on, but also the VSA and Traction Control light, and the Check Emissions light. The first time happened two years ago, when mileage was about 180,000, and then once this spring, with mileage at about 205,000 miles.

I recall that the frist time the codes all cleared themselves, after several restarts. I think the second time I just got my OBDII reader and cleared the codes.

My car uses 1 qt of oil/2,000 miles, but was not low on either occasion.

My oil is regularly changed, but 10,000 miles ago I got a VSA/Traction code which the manual told me might have been a clogged screen, so I gave the engine its first ever flush, which the dealer said is not necessary. I cleared the code, and it's not come back, and after the flush my oil stays cleaner, longer: it used to be BLACK 500 miles after an oil change.

So, the problem may be the switch, but driving maneuvers can also set it off.
Thanks, after many hours I found that it can be fixed by changing the accelerator sensor, if you go on Amazon they read the same exact complaints. The part is almost $200 and they all changed it on their own in 20 minutes or so.

I think your fix may be cheaper however, a simple engine flush would probably make the existing sensor work better since this problem only occurs for me and others on hard accelerations.

Good luck with the rest of the mileage as this car appears to be working better than most as it gets older.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:23 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by psteng19
Hmm... funny. The CEL was on this morning non the way into work.
But when I started the car at lunch time, it was gone.

Does it keep a log of what code it threw?
Did you fix this problem?! If yes How?!