center console light out

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 10:21 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
center console light out

the lights in my center console went out. the clock, the radio and the air. everything still works but none of them light up lol. im assuming it's a fuse, but i don't see any for center console. i see one for interior light but i think its the domes. can anyone help?
Old 12-18-2003, 10:41 PM
Instructor

Everthing being out? If you hold down the CD/AUX button (I think, it was posted on the "easter egg" thread) on the radio that turns everything off/on, so you might want to try that and see if it comes back on.
Old 12-19-2003, 12:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by esr5096
....hold down the CD/AUX button.....
Winner!
Old 12-19-2003, 07:03 PM
Instructor

i tried it....and it's still dark. i heard the beep and i played with the dimmer, still nothing. you can see it very very very faintly in the sunlight. i already called my dealer to have it checked out tomorrow.

thanks
Old 12-20-2003, 07:56 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I am beginning to wonder if there are more electronic issues with the TSX than we realized or expected with an Acura... I am going to the dealership now to have my audio and LED display looked at. The audio just went out and the CD changer kept trying to change discs and the LED display blinks like a Christmas tree!
Old 12-20-2003, 02:30 PM
Instructor

well just got back from the dealer. they are gonna replace the stereo and further "diagnose" the problem because they are not even sure if that will fix it.

keep you guys posted.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:03 AM
Instructor

odd thing: i had this same problem tonight. i was sitting in the driveway with my parking lights on and suddenly the console lights went off. just the lights for the buttons, not the CD or climate screens, and the lights on the buttons on teh doors all worked. hazard button light was off too.

it would then flash on for a few mins, then turn back off. back on, off, etc. then after stopping and putting the car in park the lights came back on and stayed on till i got back home. strange. i hope this isn't a problem, i hadn't done touched the cd/aux button all night so i don't think its the 'easter egg'

i feel like i'm cursed lately (broken windshield, fog light condensation, now this?)
Old 01-04-2004, 01:21 AM
More On

As I've posted elsewhere, I have the same thing.

And I wouldn't let them take apart my stereo or anything else to "diagnose" the problem either. Let 'em go to the lab or something and figure it out.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:32 PM
Instructor

didn't you have the same problem larch? did you ever get it fixed? it's kinda hard to tell them to figure out the problem without looking at my car and possibly testing it with another stereo.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:53 PM
Instructor

it happened to my car again tonight on the way home. about 15mins after i got on the road it went off and never came back. all of the control buttons (for the climate system, stereo) just go dark, no backlite. the lcd displays (for the stereo and climate system) stay on though.

i may take it into the dealer to have them look at it. i need to get one of my fog lights replaced anyway, might as well get both looked at.

has anyone had this problem fixed sucessfully?
Old 01-04-2004, 11:14 PM
CDR
Instructor

Fortunately I don't have this issue with my TSX, but dropped by this thread ...

I pulled out my TSX service manual to see if there was a good circuit diagram to help. Not really, but there is a detailed troubleshooting procedure for the "Audio-HVAC Display Module Illumination" on page 22-287 that you could mention to the dealer. Try varying the illumination control (gauge section) back and forth.

Here's a brief version of the troubleshooting procedure:
- turn on the ignition to ON and the main light switch ON.
- Turn the illumination control (in cosole) back and forth between full dim and full bright.
- If the illumination problem is only with the audio/HVAC panel:
- Continue varying back and forth while watching the display panel buttons, button LEDs, LCD displays, and lower panel ambient light.

There's a table of choices. The one that most closely matches the problem description is:
- Buttons do not light up; LEDs do not dim; LCD display is full bright and does not adjust with dimmer; Lower panel ambient light may or may not dim with dimmer.

For this case there are a few specific connectors, wires, and voltages to check, a 20 pin audio unit connector, 16 pin climate control unit connector. and an under-hood wire and terminal. Too detailed for me to help with this way, sorry.

Some combination of symptoms do require replacement of the display module, but from what's been described it's just a flakey connection somewhere. The only issue is whether it's inside the audio/hvac controls or not.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:10 AM
CDR
Instructor

prolix21: I just reread your post, and you mentioned when the problem occurred it affected the Hazard Warning Switch light.

This lighting/dimming circuit for both the audio/climate buttons and Hazard switch light is the same, but the hazard connections are much easier to diagnose and troubleshoot. Maybe the dealer should do that first.

The common connections for both:
- a Red/black 12V wire from the under-hood fuse and relay box (fuse is 4). The Red/Black wire goes to 12V when the lights are turned on.
- the "Dash Light Brightness Controller" within the main gauge cluster, which controls both the Hazard light and the audio unit lights.

Good luck! Should be easy to isolate the problem at the Hazard switch light, which should fix the audio/climate buttons as well.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:31 AM
Instructor

well, it turns out i was wrong. the hazard light works fine. i sat in the car this AM and messed with the light dimmer and it dims everything fine (guages, hazard light, etc). the stereo and climate lights are still dead though. it looks like my intermitant problem is now a permanent problem. i'm gonna go through the fuses and check a few things, but i will probably end up going to the dealer.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:34 AM
Intermediate

I just encountered the same problem where the console lights for the audio and the climate controls went off, but not the screen displays. The yellow and lights that indicate the Defroster, Rear Window Defroster and the Dual controls come on when pressed, but not the backlights for the controls.

I had the car in today to have the washer jet replaced and mentioned the light problem to the dealer. They had not heard of the problem, and took a cursory look at the lights but could find nothing. I have an appointment on the 26th where they will be able to spend some time looking at it. I will post the results of that visit.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:40 AM
More On

Originally posted by hjd73
I just encountered the same problem where the console lights for the audio and the climate controls went off, but not the screen displays. The yellow and lights that indicate the Defroster, Rear Window Defroster and the Dual controls come on when pressed, but not the backlights for the controls.

I had the car in today to have the washer jet replaced and mentioned the light problem to the dealer. They had not heard of the problem, and took a cursory look at the lights but could find nothing. I have an appointment on the 26th where they will be able to spend some time looking at it. I will post the results of that visit.
Looking forward to the results. Your problem is EXACTLY the same as mine.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:48 PM
Instructor

well after about a month waiting for an appointment and 4 days with a loaner, my car is finally fixed. they replaced the whole center console and it seemed to do the trick.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:45 PM
More On

Great to hear!

Aside from the "4 days," I'd be worried that if they do all that kind of work, I might suddenly get the famous "rattles" or something.

Please let us know if anything winds up being WORSE after this fix.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:01 PM
Instructor

actually they fixed it today. it just sat in the lot the first 3 days. i know cuz i checked lol.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:09 PM
Instructor

i guess i should call my acura dealer and make an appointment to get mine fixed. its starting to get annoying searching for the correct buttons at night
Old 01-27-2004, 12:38 AM
Intermediate

As I noted earlier I have the same problem with the dash lights for the HVASC and Audio. I took it to the dealer today and they are uncertain as to the problem. I told them twice that others have had the same problem, and that ACURA, should be aware of it, but I don't think they took notice. They had the car for the day and finally concluded that they think it needs some new circuit boards that they believe have blown. They have ordered these and will replace when they arrive. The blue light in the ceiling is also out and they are replacing that circuit board as well, but of course had to order the parts.

Mojox20, could you possibly send me a message with the name of your dealer and I will pass it on to mine, so that they can talk to a dealer that has dealt with this. If not, I expect they will dick around with this for far too long, attempting all sorts of trial and error fixes rather than talking to someone who may know.

This is what pisses me off about so many companies today. Too often, their customers know so much more about their products than the companies. If the companes listened they would be so much better off. However, I will leave that rant for another day.

Once again, I will post after I next see the dealer.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:35 AM
Instructor

well, i've got an appointment to drop my car off Wednesday the 4th... i'm a bit scared.

i also have to get one of my fog lights replaced b/c its full of water....
Old 01-28-2004, 11:02 PM
Advanced

I have the same problem, I thought I was the only one...
I did check out the service manual, but it's troubleshooting tips didn't work, so I have an appointment to take my car in.

mojox20, did they charge you to replace your display unit or it was covered under warranty? I know it should be covered under the warranty but you know how some dealers get.

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:47 PM
Instructor

they didn't charge me a dime. although i had to wait a month for an appointment w/loaner. so i beat up an integra for 3 days and a tsx for 1 hehehe
Old 02-02-2004, 09:56 PM
Instructor

my car goes in wednesday morning. i'm a bit nervous about it. i hope they don't screw it up.

i'm also wondering what i'll get as a loaner. i hope its something mildly fun to drive.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:51 PM
Instructor

crap

well, my car went in this AM to get looked at. i just got off the phone with the dealer. they are going to have to replace the stereo unit and i guess the hvac controls too b/c of the backlight problem. problem is the parts are on national backorder. no idea when they will get here. same with my leaking fog light lens. parts on order. joy.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:32 PM
Instructor

hehe good thing i got mine fixed in time.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:11 PM
10th Gear

Lights went out in my center console this weekend... just got off the phone with the dealer.... told me they are replacing the stereo and it is on backorder. They are also replacing my breaks because they are squeaking and they can't figure out why. They have been for months now but of course when I took the car in last time they wouldn't squeak. Wonder how long it will take to get the backordered parts...... they need to get me the heck out of this Tuarus and into another Acura ASAP!
Old 02-10-2004, 01:18 PM
Instructor

well, at least i'm not the only one who is on backorder.. i don't have an eta on parts either....
Old 02-11-2004, 11:40 PM
10th Gear

Talking

Well my dealer decided I shouldn't have to wait and took the stereo from another (new) TSX on the lot and installed it in my car... looks and works perfectly and I'm out of the Taurus and back in my baby. They also didn't charge me for the oil change... my dealership (RON TONKIN) rocks! My car was completely detailed when I picked it up... looked brand new.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dang, i'm unfortunately joining this exclusive club...my center console lights were out this morning even tho they were fine when i was driving at 11pm last nite. I don't know how sitting in the parking lot overnite would cause this. in any case, having the radio replaced seems kind of a extreme fix but it seems like we have no choice in the matter. i'm going to call my dealer and set up an appt

if you could please list the dealers (w/contact #) you went to that knew of this problem it would be greatly appreciated. i want to relay that info to my dealer. thanks!
Old 02-13-2004, 09:19 AM
10th Gear

Sorry dude...hope yours is as painless as mine was. If they say the stereo is backordered nationwide cuz I think it is... tell them to do what my dealership did! It's Ron Tonkin, Portland OR, 503-292-0662 and Gabe is the Mgr in the service dept. Good luck....
Old 02-13-2004, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by sarahmorgan
Sorry dude...hope yours is as painless as mine was. If they say the stereo is backordered nationwide cuz I think it is... tell them to do what my dealership did! It's Ron Tonkin, Portland OR, 503-292-0662 and Gabe is the Mgr in the service dept. Good luck....
thanks for the info! i wonder why the stereo is backordered? maybe there are more TSXs with the same problem? wonder if they have a TSB out for this?

well, during lunchtime i checked the fusebox and i believe slot#6 is the fuse for the radio/center console. i pulled it out and the radio went out, after reinserting the fuse i had to punch in the radio anti-theft code. unfortunately it didnt fix the problem...sounds like i might need a new radio too... really disappointing
Old 02-13-2004, 01:18 PM
Instructor

i'm thinking this is becoming a common issue they are seeing. i had my car in and showed them and they didn't really react suprised or anything. and then later they said they would be replacing the stereo and that it was on backorder. no problems, no real big fuss. it seemed like they had seen this before

obviously more and more people here are seeing it. i'd like to know how common it is outside of the users on this site...
Old 02-13-2004, 09:58 PM
10th Gear

Must be pretty common if they are on backorder nationwide, huh?
Old 02-14-2004, 10:06 PM
Instructor

hrm, must be. at least we are all getting the same story about national-backorder. i was wondering if my dealer was bs'ing me.

i wonder if the problem is limited to certain ranges of vin#'s or if it affects all of them. i know certain issues were happening to early vin#'s but were fixed in later ones.

mine ends in 7707

still waiting on word about my parts. nothing yet...
Old 02-16-2004, 10:15 AM

well, just an update...my tsx is in the shop right now...the service dude said the techs are running some mandatory tests and will "try" to fix it....hopefully they dont screw up anything else, like my 2-way alarm...

if they can't "fix" it then they'll try to order the radio overnite...service dude said they also had another tsx w/5k miles come in with the same prob and they eventually replaced the radio.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:35 AM

well, my tsx is still in the shop...the service dude ordered a radio for me to be delievered overnite so they should receive it today (guess they're not backordered anymore). he said it should be a few hours to install it so i should hopefully pick my tsx up tonite

btw, somehow the service dood said my front right tire had a slash/flat after driving it into the garage. something about replacing a window for another vehicle and maybe driving over some glass. in any case he said they'll replace my tire free of charge...so i guess i'm getting a new tire and radio out of this...damnit... dont know if i'm or def disappointed tho
Old 02-24-2004, 11:06 AM

update: picked up my tsx this past friday, was in the shop for extra few days because they ordered the wrong part. anyways, long story, short...they replaced the radio and was covered under warranty...thankfully, considering the radio itself was $2700 without labor.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:07 AM
Instructor

got the memo in the mail that my parts are in. my car goes under the knife tomorrow. :\
Old 02-24-2004, 11:39 AM
Have camera, will travel

I would say that a scarcity of the parts required to repair the stereo is indicative of the fact that it's NOT a widespread problem. Parts may have to be ordered from Japan.

If the problem was common, you'd think, if anything, the parts would be more readily available. Just MO.

Quick Reply: center console light out