Burning Smell & Smoke...Clutch or Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 01:17 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Burning Smell & Smoke...Clutch or Brakes?

More likely a sticking caliper or clutch?

Brought the car to my local Honda dealer to have what I thought was a sticking caliper piston inspected. About 3 or 4 times over the last few months there has been what seems like brake burning smell and smoke coming from the front right tire.

Dealer diagnosis is a failing clutch. Considering the positioning of the clutch, I guess that makes sense and sounds plausible. Only thing is, the clutch feels fine. No slipping that I've noticed and the car seems to drive fine. Although I can understand if its something I failed to realize if its been happening slowly. Doesn't sound the dealer took anything apart but came to this conclusion on a test drive.

Thoughts? Can a clutch burn like that yet still feel pretty normal?

Replacement clutch....$1600 + taxes
Old 11-18-2008, 02:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds more like burning brake fluid. Does it smell like cat piss? When does it happen? Under what conditions?

If the clutch is not slipping and feels like it always has, the clutch is more than likely fine.

Check your brake fluid lines for any signs of wear or leaks and check the reservoir.

Also, that price for a clutch replacement is absolutely ridiculous and outrageous. If you ever need to replace your clutch, buy an OEM clutch kit on ebay (exedy etc.) and have a reputable local shop install it. I guarantee that the cost will be less than half of what the dealer is charging.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The clutch is on the front left side. Not the front right.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:56 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Dom, how many miles do you have now?
Old 11-18-2008, 05:20 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by aaronng
The clutch is on the front left side. Not the front right.
So its on the passenger side? Interesting.

The smoke/steam is definitly coming from the drivers side front.

131,000km or about 82,000 miles.

I had the brake fluid done today since thats what I initially suspected needed to be done anyway. Brake feel is much better.

1,600 was a Honda dealer price. Acura wanted 1,900. I've since got two other quotes of ~900.

Can I get some ideas on what type of testing I can do to determine if the clutch is slipping? I thought Cruising in 5th or 6th and flooring it would show slipping but the rpms climb...slowly but they climb.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:47 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dom

Sorry, I meant front left from my orientation when I am sitting in the car. So yes, front driver's side in your car. I haven't seen a clutch give out smoke before on a street car with a street clutch.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:51 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dom

131,000km or about 82,000 miles.

I had the brake fluid done today since thats what I initially suspected needed to be done anyway. Brake feel is much better.

1,600 was a Honda dealer price. Acura wanted 1,900. I've since got two other quotes of ~900.

Can I get some ideas on what type of testing I can do to determine if the clutch is slipping? I thought Cruising in 5th or 6th and flooring it would show slipping but the rpms climb...slowly but they climb.
a slipping clutch will cause the RPMs to rise, but not the speed.

one easy test would be to try to start the car from a stop using only the clutch. if you can get the car to start moving without using the gas pedal, then the clutch should be in pretty good shape.

have you checked for leaks in the area? could be any sort of fluid leaking and just burning off.

is the clutch fluid cylinder full?
Old 11-19-2008, 08:29 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by aaronng
I haven't seen a clutch give out smoke before on a street car with a street clutch.
Exactly what I've been told by many people.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:33 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by gftgrill
a slipping clutch will cause the RPMs to rise, but not the speed.
Not happening.

one easy test would be to try to start the car from a stop using only the clutch. if you can get the car to start moving without using the gas pedal, then the clutch should be in pretty good shape.
Do you mean just press the clutch and see if the car rolls? It does.

have you checked for leaks in the area? could be any sort of fluid leaking and just burning off.
Its garage parked and I haven't noticed any leaks on the concrete.

is the clutch fluid cylinder full?
Will do.

This morning at one point at about 120 the car steering was shuttering/vibrating and only got worse when I applied the brakes. It only happened that one time and my drive is all highway.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd get someone to look at the front brakes. Inspect pad thickness, rotor wear, clean and lubricate the slider pins and shims.

Does your car pull left or right when the brakes are not applied? What about when they are applied?

What does the smoke smell like, and if it happens again sometime soon, get under there and try to see what area it's coming from (brakes/wheelwell, or under the car (transmission area)).
Old 11-19-2008, 10:53 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by curls
I'd get someone to look at the front brakes. Inspect pad thickness, rotor wear, clean and lubricate the slider pins and shims.
That's what I'll be doing next.

Does your car pull left or right when the brakes are not applied? What about when they are applied?
I don't think so. But I haven't tested that yet.

What does the smoke smell like, and if it happens again sometime soon, get under there and try to see what area it's coming from (brakes/wheelwell, or under the car (transmission area)).
Smells like burnt brakes to me. And it looks like the smoke is coming directly from the rotor, not in behind.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:18 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
That's what I'll be doing next.

I don't think so. But I haven't tested that yet.

Smells like burnt brakes to me. And it looks like the smoke is coming directly from the rotor, not in behind.
Well if that's the case, get the caliper inspected fully, ASAP. There is an increasing chance that it will get worse and worse and could seize up completely.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dom
Do you mean just press the clutch and see if the car rolls? It does.

I meant stop the car, and try to get the car moving. it's kind of like starting from a stop, but you're not using the gas pedal.

the end result would be that the car is moving 5-10 mph and you have no feet on any pedal. and you get the car moving only using the clutch pedal. you never touch the gas pedal.

i'm going to agree that it sounds like a problem with the brakes and not the clutch.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:43 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Is the brake fluid bleed valve on the caliper leaking or not closed?
Old 11-20-2008, 03:18 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by PACman
Is the brake fluid bleed valve on the caliper leaking or not closed?
No leaking, I just had the brake fluid changed on Tuesday.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:42 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Problem appears to be solved.

Took the car to a local shop. After driving it they didn't find anything wrong which was fine since the problem was periodic. While up on the hoist all tires except for the drivers front spun freely and there was some browning on the rotor compared to the other.

$225 for a rebuilt caliper later and I'll be crossing my fingers hoping that was it.

The car had a periodic vibration at higher speeds for some time now and its only been getting worse. I really hope this was the cause.

And he said the clutch felt fine to him.