Bluetooth on '06 TSX

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 07:14 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bluetooth on '06 TSX

What is the deal with Bluetooth???

I think the quality is not what I expected.

By following all instructions, I hate to talk really loud for the other person to hear me. Did I miss something somewhere?

It can't be the phone...

Please provide your input...

Thanks,
BBZ
Old 12-16-2005, 07:18 PM
Only Acuras Since '93

The microphone's located up by the map lights... you don't have anything blocking it, or a vent pointed toward it, right?
Old 12-16-2005, 11:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I don't understand why people are having so much trouble with the HandsfreeLink. I have used it to call a lot of friends and for business and not one person has yet complained to me about the quality of the sound on their end.

which bluetooth phone are you you guys that are having trouble using?
Old 12-17-2005, 07:13 AM
Instructor

I tried to use common sense. Closed windows, vents pointed side ways, pretty serene outside...

The phone is Nextel i870 (It's not listed on HandsFreeLink website). It paired fine with the car. But knowing how ancient iDen phones are it doesn't even display the battery life or the signal strength on the Info display. I do have to say that I made only one phone call and maybe the person on the other end had problems with his phone. I will try it again as the last thing I want to be is being flamed for being extra stupid...

I have no doubt it is something I did. Because knowing how good honda is with these things unless it really works they won't release it...

I'll be in touch... Don't flame me yet
Old 12-17-2005, 08:26 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bbznyc
I tried to use common sense. Closed windows, vents pointed side ways, pretty serene outside...

The phone is Nextel i870 (It's not listed on HandsFreeLink website). It paired fine with the car. But knowing how ancient iDen phones are it doesn't even display the battery life or the signal strength on the Info display. I do have to say that I made only one phone call and maybe the person on the other end had problems with his phone. I will try it again as the last thing I want to be is being flamed for being extra stupid...

I have no doubt it is something I did. Because knowing how good honda is with these things unless it really works they won't release it...

I'll be in touch... Don't flame me yet
We'll wait to

But in the meantime, you might wanna get a proper, up to date Bluetooth phone.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When u gonna change that avatar and name huh?
Old 12-17-2005, 06:14 PM
Pro

I used mine today for the first time. Motorola MPX220 cell phone. Worked excellent and the caller said it was clear. Now only if it told me who was calling so I don't have to look at the MID.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:20 PM
Instructor

Tested bluetooth some more... Works as advertised... Next time before posting, I will test more carefully...

I just got the stupid phone... Stupid POS Sprint/Nextel
Old 12-17-2005, 10:22 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
For some reason I can't hang up phone calls using the "back" button as the manual states

Phone is a Samsung SCH-A950 from Verizon. Anyone else have this problem? I know the button WORKS for other functions, just not to end calls.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:31 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ILoveMyHonda
When u gonna change that avatar and name huh?
Don't know if I will. My heart still belongs to my first TSX.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:39 PM
Advanced

Yes, often for whatever reason, the voice quality over Bluetooth varies from phone to phone. I'm still waiting for my TSX to come in, but I have both a BlackBerry 7290 & Moto RAZR that I use with a Moto 850 BT headset. The voice quality is much, much clearer with the RAZR -- all my callers agree.

Bluetooth is a great technology, but it definitely isn't mature by any means. If possible, you may want to try it with a friend's BT enabled phone to see if different models are any better. I was on a conference call with a guy using his BlackBerry 7290 in his new MDX and the quality was bad. From my past experiences with HandsFreeLink on the receiving end, my $$$ is with the poor BT quality on the BlackBerry (which they are known for having anyway). You might want to check out a site like www.howardforums.com to see if other i870 users are experiencing poor BT quality.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:33 AM
Instructor

Yeah... I've been there... done that...

I'll have to stick with it for a while
Old 07-07-2006, 08:43 AM
ICG
British

Originally Posted by bbznyc
What is the deal with Bluetooth???

I think the quality is not what I expected.

By following all instructions, I hate to talk really loud for the other person to hear me. Did I miss something somewhere?

It can't be the phone...

Please provide your input...

Thanks,
BBZ

Old thread I know, but is anyone else having bluetooth quality issues with a Nextel I870. I have listened to voicemails I have left for people and the voice cuts in and out a lot. (I have used the phone for nearly 7 months and have had the problem since day one)

Also does anyone have access to the electrical wiring drawing for a 2006 TSX and is able to pinpoint the bluetooth receiver? (Assuming there is one) maybe being closer to the receiver would help my crappy phone. Thanks
Old 07-07-2006, 08:48 AM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
The first time I used HandsFreeLink I noticed it was very hard to hear, then I discovered I could adjust the volume with the controls on the steering wheel. Oops.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:00 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ LOL

^^^^and the voice cutting in and out might be your phone cutting in and out, not the bluetooth signal cutting in and out...
Old 07-07-2006, 09:27 AM
ICG
British

Originally Posted by cibs
^^ LOL

^^^^and the voice cutting in and out might be your phone cutting in and out, not the bluetooth signal cutting in and out...
If it was one time I could believe that but this has been consistent problem for 7 months and 26,000 miles
Old 07-07-2006, 09:31 AM
Drifting

weird...

have you tried pairing your system with a buddies phone to see if it works clear with that? if it keeps going i'd maybe take it in to the dealership and get that fixed before the warranty's up... it should be covered no?
Old 07-07-2006, 09:34 AM
ICG
British

Originally Posted by cibs
weird...

have you tried pairing your system with a buddies phone to see if it works clear with that? if it keeps going i'd maybe take it in to the dealership and get that fixed before the warranty's up... it should be covered no?
I did try a different phone and it sounded crap to, but it was also another nextel and none of the nextel phones are "certified" to work with the Acura system, so the dealer said they would not help. I should try with a none nextel phone, but also wanted to find this bluetooth receiver and stick the phone on it!!
Old 07-07-2006, 09:48 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Only thing I don't like is when my phone rings (RAZR) it often takes 3-4 seconds after I hit the talk button on the steering wheel before the caller can hear me. There's clearly a delay.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:03 AM
Drifting

yeah... i experience the delay too... i say hello a couple of times before the person hears me... kinda annoying...

there's also a delay when you're listening to music say, you'll hear the music cut out... and nothing... then you hear it ring.... hit the talk button... and then wait again another few seconds till they can hear you...
Old 07-07-2006, 10:33 AM
'06 TSX 6MT

I just wish there was a way to change the Bluetooth profile from "HandsFree" to "Headset"
that way i'd lose the batter/signal indication, but i'd be able to use the voice recognition of my Motorola E815 which is years ahead of what the HandsFreeLink can do.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:02 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You're not alone

I think it's the TSX (lucky the ones that don't have this problem and are the exception).

Both my wife and daughter have their own '06 TSX's with Navi and their HFL bluetooh hookups sound horrible. The voice of the caller cracks frequently and the other caller frequently complains they cannot hear them, their voices break up, etc.

They both have the same phones as I do (an LG from Sprint). However, I have an '05 RL and my phone sounds crystal clear during all HFL calls. No problems such as they experience. I then added my phone to theirs and, surprise, surprise, I had the same problem with my phone and their HFL. They then added their phone to my RL's HFL, and surprise, surprise (again), they had crystal clear responses thru my RL's HFL.

My wife did mention that she had read somewhere that Acura's bluetooth was one of the least reliable of all the car mfgrs.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:25 AM
ICG
British

Originally Posted by PRNole47
I think it's the TSX (lucky the ones that don't have this problem and are the exception).

Both my wife and daughter have their own '06 TSX's with Navi and their HFL bluetooh hookups sound horrible. The voice of the caller cracks frequently and the other caller frequently complains they cannot hear them, their voices break up, etc.

They both have the same phones as I do (an LG from Sprint). However, I have an '05 RL and my phone sounds crystal clear during all HFL calls. No problems such as they experience. I then added my phone to theirs and, surprise, surprise, I had the same problem with my phone and their HFL. They then added their phone to my RL's HFL, and surprise, surprise (again), they had crystal clear responses thru my RL's HFL.

My wife did mention that she had read somewhere that Acura's bluetooth was one of the least reliable of all the car mfgrs.
Interesting, Thanks for the input. I may go to the dealer and try my phone with a different TSX, maybe a RL and see if the same problems appear. Anyone have any thoughts on the bluetooth receiver yet??
Old 07-08-2006, 12:58 PM
Banned

Hey guys I was wondering is it possible to connect a laptop with the blue tooth because im a noob at this just wondering lol
Old 07-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
HFL works great with my Motorola V551--the voice quality is clear and people can hardly tell I'm in a moving car. I guess I'm lucky in that regard.

I don't think you can pair a laptop to the car--I've tried (just for fun) and the car couldn't recognize my laptop.

I use my phone as a "modem" for my laptop, so I can access the internet via a bluetooth connection. If a call comes in, the internet connection is temporarily suspended. Recently on a road trip, the phone, car, and laptop worked beautifully together. My passenger was online and a phone call came in. The phone immediately switched over to HFL mode. Once the call was complete, the phone switched back to internet/laptop mode.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:04 PM
NBP6MTTSX

I've had my TSX for just over a week now and one of the reasons I bought the TSX was the Bluetooth and I have no regrets. I've used it with my Nokia N80 which I use most of the time and my Sony Ericsson K750i which I don't use as often. Both phones are paired to HFL. When the K750i is connected, HFL shows phone signal strength and battery strength, but with the N80, that does not work, however all conversations are very clear and if at all it was bad it has always been fading signal strength on the phones.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:50 PM
Instructor

^^^ Agreed.

I have a Sprint Treo 700p, and while people say my voice sounds quiet, it doesn't come in and out or anything. I've generally been nothing but happy with it (except for a minute ago when it froze up, but I'll start another thread about that).