Bad rear wheel bearings.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 12:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad rear wheel bearings.

Hey, whats up. Has anyone replaced there rear wheel bearings here. I just replaced my tires and the last set had severe cupping and feathering on the rear tires I though maybe it was due to my lack of rotation and the fact that i bought cheap tires, but with the new set on there i can feel a vibration through out the car. it is a subtle vibration but something is definitely not right. I had the it aligned and replaced the pads and rotors already. All the wheels are tight and the struts are fine as well. I am thinking maybe it is the wheel bearings form parking in my driveway which sits on a 10 to 15 degree angle. I am wondering if the all the cars weight sitting on the bearings has caused some flat spots on the bearings. Any one familiar with this problem.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:47 PM
Almost Doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bad wheel bearings will make humming or whirring noise that is most often speed dependent. You hear it throughout the car but you should be able to locate which wheel is bad by riding as a passenger and listening closely. Also, when they get really bad, there is some significant play when you jack the car up and shake the wheel.

As for your hypothesis, I'd sincerely doubt parking on an incline would effect the life of wheel bearings. They just go bad from moisture and lack of lubrication.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:53 AM
Intermediate

Yeah you are probably right. I hut a curb and blew my tire out back in November. I think i might have put a tiny dent in the race and over time just wore the bearing down. Can a bad bearing cause a rotor to warp? I resurfaced the old ones twice and after they, or it, i think it is just one, warped again i just bought new ones. Now the new one is starting to warp. I am going to take the rotor of the side that i blew the tire out on, resurface it and see if that smoothes it out. If so i will go ahead and replace the bearing on that side.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:56 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
After going for a fairly long drive, feel each wheel with your hand. IF one is significantly warmer than the rest, that is a potential problem corner. Something is generating excess heat, be it a sticking caliper (which can also cause the brake 'warp' problem you are experiencing), or a bad/dying wheel bearing (also causes heat and vibration).
Old 06-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Intermediate

I decided the bearings where fine and decided to change out the axles. However i think i made a mistake. Imagine that.I bought two brand new axles. Got the drivers side in fine it is operating normally. However, the passenger side has a problem. The new axle did not come with the bracket extension and bearing. So instead of taking out the axle from the extension at the bearing I unbolted the bracket and removed it from it from the transmission. Separated the o;d axle out and put the new axle in. Here is the problem. I dont think i inserted the axle in to the bearing far enough.I think i need to go about three or four more millimeters. So i when i had it all back together and took it for a test drive you could feel the tranny torquing the axle. There was a click when i put in gear and i could feel stress on the axle via the vibration in the stearing wheel. Has anyone replaced the passenger side axles? Do you have any pictures? I could use some help here. Thanks
Old 06-03-2010, 02:45 PM
Intermediate

The axle was in all the way. Turns out the carrier bearing is bad. Ugh had to order the parts form the dealer, won't be in until tomorrow. I will let you know when i have it all together. Has anyone else replaced the carrier bearing. I really hope this is this fix. i am so tired of screwing around with this thing. There was very noticeable play in the bearing and the dealer said it should be tight as a drum no play.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:52 PM
Intermediate

I have some pictures but figure out hoe to post them.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:27 AM
Intermediate