Awlful Customer Service from Acura Corporate

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 07:43 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awlful Customer Service from Acura Corporate

April 2008 - The mileage at this time on my '07 TSX was ~21,000. I reported to my Acura dealer that I was noticing a steering wheel shake when breaking. They told me that the front rotors were badly warped and glazed. However, they found it sort of odd, since the pads still had 8/32 left on them. They tried to tell me that I must be hard on breaks. I wasn't sure how this was the case, since only 2/32 of front pads were worn in 21,000 miles. They replaced the pads and rotors as a one-time courtesy. At the same time, the rear pads were replaced as well.

April 2009 - The mileage now is 44,225. I reported to my Acura dealer that I was again noticing the steering wheel shaking when breaking. They again told me the front rotors were warped. Since it is the 2nd time, they are refusing to replace them again at their expense, explaining to me that it must be my driving. This time, there are 9/32 of front pads left. I am not sure, how my driving can be the cause, since only 1/32 of pad has worn down in 23,000 miles of driving. Furthermore, the rear pads need to be replaced again, now measuring 3/32 of thickness. I have no idea how in the same 23,000 miles the fronts can wear to 9/32 and the rears to 3/32. It a difference of 90%/30% remaining on the pads in the same mileage.

Since the dealer has been no help, I was hoping Acura corporate in California could be of some help... NOT! It was the worst customer service experience of my life. I got into a shouting match with the Client Services Manager on the phone.

They basically told me this issue is occurring because I am light on my breaks and that I should be harder on them to take care of the problem. And rather than pick up the cost of the rotor repair, Acura would be happy to lose my business if I choose to never buy another Honda made automobile. The Regional Supervisor was at least pleasant about it, but the guy who worked for him was very insulting to me.

When this issue occurred in 2008, it was fixed under dealer goodwill and I was told I was too hard on my breaks. So, I have really made an effort to be easy on my breaks in an attempt to prevent this from happening again. Now, the 2nd time around, I am being told, the issue is being caused by being too light on my breaks. So, I have apparently made it worse, in my attempt to correct my driving habits based on the dealer's recommendation from the issue in 2008.

In fact there is a 07-021 TSB out on this very issue that states to correct it under warranty, but it seems that Acura will not honor that a 2nd time around. They told me a TSB only means "1" person had to have to issue reported to them. And even though it says to fix it under warranty, they do not have to honor that.

Has anyone else had a very similar breaking issue or similar experiences in dealing with Acura Client Care in California?

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2009, 08:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Has anyone else had a very similar breaking issue or similar experiences in dealing with Acura Client Care in California?
Not to laugh at your situation, but you may want to search the problems & fixes section and find all the threads on the horrible brakes. You are not alone.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:19 PM
heel/toe is my specialty

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I am having a similar braking issue currently (my thread is a few down from yours) along with many other owners, as mentioned by LuvMyTsx. You got yours replaced once, I cant even get that right now. I am under 20k miles. Many owners have gone aftermarket and never looked back - I will probebly do the same. The aftermarket choice seem to perform better and last longer and are less expensive than the oem replacements (if you have to pay for yours now). A win-win situation.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:21 PM
Advanced

I had an issue with the steering wheel shaking under braking on my '06 6MT at 33K miles. Made a service appointment at the Acura dealer and they refinished the front rotors and replaced the front pads under warranty at no charge with no questions asked. Hope this helps.

The service order reads as follows:

STEERING WHEEL SHAKES WHEN BRAKING
CAUSE:
410820 FRONT BRAKE DISC, BOTH - RESURFACE WITH ON-CAR LATHE. (N/C)
1 45022-SEC-A00 PAD SET, FR. (N/C)
CC: 03502
FC: 07-021A
PART#: 45022-SEA-J11
COUNT:1
CLAIM TYPE: WA
AUTH CODE: 00###
Old 04-29-2009, 08:25 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by davidh

Thanks!
David, believe me, ACS is a JOKE!

You know, I had a HUGE warranty issue, and they "good-willed" the fix 1 time just as yourself. But, the problem persisted, and they wouldn't fix it the second time! It had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with my driving habits, either. I argued with them extensively...and since I live in California, I actually went to ACS personally!

It didn't help.

ACS is a joke, and all of corporate knows me by now. I named my case manager and his manager in their "follow-up" correspondence and gave it to them. I literally wrote on their survey, "ACS is a JOKE".

You're not the only one who's had problems with ACS. All you have to do is google them and you'll find out. There're also numerous threads on AZ regarding ACS.

There is a good chance my current Acura is my last as well...we'll see.

*Keep in mind, I was always very cordial with them through the whole process, until the survey came out. They even took all of my praise-worthy posts here on AZ into consideration, but still did not want to help me out.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:14 PM
User with Skills

i'm a bit confused by your math, either that or pads only start at 10/32 which might as well be 5/16 but out of what? 10/32 of an inch of pad? 10/32 of the total amount of pad? The numbers do not really add much to your case, but regardless the situation seems pretty crappy.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:03 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
So you front pads gained 1/32" over the 23000 miles? 8/32 to 9/32. Just goes to show the techs really do not look at the pads and measure.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:50 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoosier_Buddy
I had an issue with the steering wheel shaking under braking on my '06 6MT at 33K miles. Made a service appointment at the Acura dealer and they refinished the front rotors and replaced the front pads under warranty at no charge with no questions asked. Hope this helps.

The service order reads as follows:

STEERING WHEEL SHAKES WHEN BRAKING
CAUSE:
410820 FRONT BRAKE DISC, BOTH - RESURFACE WITH ON-CAR LATHE. (N/C)
1 45022-SEC-A00 PAD SET, FR. (N/C)
CC: 03502
FC: 07-021A
PART#: 45022-SEA-J11
COUNT:1
CLAIM TYPE: WA
AUTH CODE: 00###

In my experience with resurfacing rotors is that the issue will come back faster than it took the first time. Most times if rotors are warped, they should be replaced. I think the aftermarket Bremo rotors cost as much as the OEM ones from Honda
Old 04-30-2009, 02:52 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by miner
So you front pads gained 1/32" over the 23000 miles? 8/32 to 9/32. Just goes to show the techs really do not look at the pads and measure.
Yeah they mostly guess how much padding is left. I know what the pads looks like new and usually just tell my family members, you have 50% padding left.

To the OP, I would get Bremo rotors and Hawk pads, see if that helps. Changing the pads/rotors is the simplest thing to do. Get a Haynes or Helm manual and do them yourself. You will save a ton of money just in the first change alone.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:57 AM
Pro

For the people with aftermarket pads/rotors - what kind did you guys go with? Also, to prevent this problem in the future, do I want to get different pads and different rotors?

Would putting ceramic pads on with the stock rotors prevent the rotors from warping?

Thanks much!
Old 05-01-2009, 06:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
As you will find in your research, this has less to do with rotor warping than it does with the cheap ass pads Honda decided to put on these cars. The issue being that the cheap pads have left behind material on the rotors at a full stop creating differing friction points on the rotor, giving you the sensation as the pads skip across sections of the rotor, that that the rotor is warped. This does not mean there haven't been warped rotors, but having experienced this myself, I learned it was not warped at all.

Secondly, both MrHeeltoe and Excelerate offer great brake packages for an awesome deal. So at 92k miles, I'm on my 3rd set of front pads (OEM, racing pads, and Hawks), 2nd set of rear pads (OEM, Hawks), 2nd set of front rotors (OEM and Brembo) and still on the OEM rear discs. Oh, I'm a very spirited driver as well.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:58 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JLTSX07
For the people with aftermarket pads/rotors - what kind did you guys go with? Also, to prevent this problem in the future, do I want to get different pads and different rotors?

Would putting ceramic pads on with the stock rotors prevent the rotors from warping?

Thanks much!
OEM pads are a ceramic friction amterial, but not all pads are created equal. Look into Hawk Ceramics or Axxis Ultimates and you'll likely be very happy with their stopping power and longevity.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:13 AM
still plays with cars

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by moda_way
As you will find in your research, this has less to do with rotor warping than it does with the cheap ass pads Honda decided to put on these cars. The issue being that the cheap pads have left behind material on the rotors at a full stop creating differing friction points on the rotor, giving you the sensation as the pads skip across sections of the rotor, that that the rotor is warped. This does not mean there haven't been warped rotors, but having experienced this myself, I learned it was not warped at all.
Cheap ass is not the issue. Honda makes a pad that's quiet so people don't complain about squeaks and other noises. The problem is the pad material transfer brought on by high speed stops at red lights and then sitting at the stop with your foot on the brake pedal. I'll bet most of the rotor issues are with cars with automatic transmissions which sit at stop lights with the brakes clamped on.

FWIW, I drive a manual transmission and apply the parking brake if the car rolls at stop intersections. So far, 35 k miles and no problems.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:21 PM
NBP 08 TL Type S / TSX

Sorry to hear about your customer service. I can't complain about mine. I have taken my TSX in twice because of the steering wheel shaking during high speed braking. I spend about 75 percent of my driving on the freeway and I am always braking at high speeds. Eventually, I will have to buy some better pads. Both times they replaced the the rotors and pads under the warranty...no questions asked. The dealership I go to in Seattle has been damn good to me so far. I've yet to have a complaint about them or even better never have to deal with ACS!
Old 05-14-2009, 07:38 PM
4th Gear

After dealing with multiple folks at ACS in California, I am now satisfied with the service I received. They once again replaced my front rotors under warranty. Furthermore, they covered the cost of the parts for the rear brakes as well. Thank you Acura!
Old 05-14-2009, 07:47 PM
Instructor

don't you guys ever BED your brakes?

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

not to knock the OP, I have had similar crap experiences with Chrysler Corp. so I feel you on that..

if the pads are so bad, try beding in the brakes and see if it doesn't clear it up..
Old 05-14-2009, 07:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Switched to aftermarket rotors and pads, 2 years later still no problems.

the oem parts suck, just be happy this is one of very few known problems.