Anything to look out for at 110k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 09:05 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anything to look out for at 110k miles?

I'm at 106k miles reaching 110k very soon. The last time my car was in the service dealer was for my 50k checkup right before my warranty expired.

I've done routine oil changes, changed manual transmission oil at 45k, flushed out braking system at 45k, changed spark plugs at 85k, on my second set of brake pads.

Anything major I need to do at 110k ? Has anyone experienced anything braking down at 110k?

Anyone do their own radiator flush?
Old 02-17-2009, 09:56 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You're definitely due to repeat all the stuff you did at 45k since you're 65k miles further down the road now. The radiator flush would be a good idea too. Ideally you should do that every three of four years. It wouldn't hurt to put new radiator hoses in. You can do the accessory belt at the same time.

Your clutch fluid is probably black and opaque by now if you haven't done anything with it. I don't understand why it gets so filthy compared to the brake fluid.

Finally, I'd check on the cam chain tensioner. I believe every case we've heard of here of the timing chain skipping has had something to do with the tensioner. It seems to be a weak(er) link the system. Some of those cases have been attributed to low oil conditions though since the tensioner works off of oil pressure.

I'm not sure if this car has grease fittings for the suspension parts but those could probably use some attention too (if they exist). Congrats on getting her up that high and keep up the good work.

Edit: Oh and I believe you are due for valve tappet adjustment. If you are not comfortable with tinkering around inside the engine, I'd have a mechanic do this part. If you are, you'll want to consult the service manual on the procedure and clearances. It's not terribly difficult if you've got at least 10% motor oil in your veins.

Last edited by LukeaTron; 02-17-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm nearing 110K myself. The big item to get checked out, according to the owners manual, is the valve clearance.

The other routine maintenance stuff - oil & filter change, radiator fluid change (good time to get the inlet and outlet hoses changed out too), tranny fluid changed, rotate tires, brake fluid every 3yrs, just to name a few - should be done too.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:35 AM
Drifting

I'd strongly recommend having the cam chain tensioner checked out too. Not that the failure rate has been extremely high but the cost of a failure there can be that of a new engine.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:07 AM
still plays with cars

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With the AC compressor failures we've heard about, it might be good to have an AC guy check the pressures and look for any oil leaks.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:45 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
You're definitely due to repeat all the stuff you did at 45k since you're 65k miles further down the road now. The radiator flush would be a good idea too. Ideally you should do that every three of four years. It wouldn't hurt to put new radiator hoses in. You can do the accessory belt at the same time.

Your clutch fluid is probably black and opaque by now if you haven't done anything with it. I don't understand why it gets so filthy compared to the brake fluid.

Finally, I'd check on the cam chain tensioner. I believe every case we've heard of here of the timing chain skipping has had something to do with the tensioner. It seems to be a weak(er) link the system. Some of those cases have been attributed to low oil conditions though since the tensioner works off of oil pressure.

I'm not sure if this car has grease fittings for the suspension parts but those could probably use some attention too (if they exist). Congrats on getting her up that high and keep up the good work.

Edit: Oh and I believe you are due for valve tappet adjustment. If you are not comfortable with tinkering around inside the engine, I'd have a mechanic do this part. If you are, you'll want to consult the service manual on the procedure and clearances. It's not terribly difficult if you've got at least 10% motor oil in your veins.
Should I roll it into the dealer for service and bend over on the way out? or any mechanic can do this stuff?

My idea about bringing it to the Acura dealer is that, since they work on these cars all the time, they would be able to service it best.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:48 AM
JDM Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ regular mechanic for the win.

screw the service department and their high fees.
most of it is just inspections.
and the rest of the work that needs to be done can be done
easily by any good mechanic, there is nothing special about our car.
bring a checklist for the mechanic and ask him to check it off
as he goes then initial or sign it. keep that for your records.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Drifting

The dealership is a crap shoot. Typically for every tech that knows what he's doing, there's one who is barely competent and doesn't give a shit about your car. For the premium rates they charge, it's not at all worth it.

Your best bet is to find a shop that deals with a lot of Hondas. There are lots of things I've seen in the construction of this car so far that are identical to my old '91 Legend.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
+1 on finding a mechanic or shop that regularly works or specializes on Hondas/Acuras.

If you really want to go to a dealership and save still save a couple of bucks, I've had luck with going to a Honda dealership...but this was with my old integra. They can be little bit cheaper, and they skip the free car scratching, er wash, which is a good thing.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:48 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
^^Keep in mind not every Honda dealer will work on an Acura. I tried doing that, but the local Honda dealer said no. Call around.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Instructor

The dealer quoted price for 110K Service is around 700/ dollars !!!!!

Guys Please post the amount you have paid..

I am planning to find a mechanic too. As i cannot do these following things myself.

1) AC compressor Check.

2) cam chain tensioner

3) valve tappet adjustment..

thanks..