Anyone had this happen? Flooring it then boom!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011 | 11:53 PM
Cruisin'

Anyone had this happen? Flooring it then boom!

We have a 2005 Acura TSX with 103k miles. About a year and a half ago my girlfriend was driving this car and had a situation where she had to floor the car all of a sudden to avoid a situation shortly after turning on the car. The car then started to jump and bump and shut off. The stealer fixed it and the code at that time was a P2647. The stealer replaced the sensor. No problems since.

Tonight I took the car to fill up with gas. When I was leaving the parking lot, a big SUV was pulling in and I had to go around it when I was leaving the parking lot so I slowly had to see my way clear from cars approaching from the left. As soon as I thought it was clear I then see a wave of cars coming my way. I then have to floor the car and then notice on the dash the VSA light came on, oil light, check engine and it started to flutter. I pulled over and shut everything off. I checked everything out and all is well. I then let it sit for a few minutes with the key out hoping things would reset.

I then started it back up and everything seems ok. The oil light didn't come back on and only the check engine light stayed on. Everything sounded ok and I'm a decent amateur mechanic and I'm pretty picky about sounds, etc. I drove the car home and ran it on the scanner and the same code, P2647. I cleared the codes and reved things up over 4k after I was confident that it sounded normal and it sounds as smooth as a sewing machine.

I wonder since in both cases it involved flooring it soon after turning the car on if it wasn't an actual failure but a code that was thrown due to flooring it in these odd situations. Any insight or replace the sensor no matter what?

Thanks guys!
Brad
Old 05-26-2011 | 07:14 AM
Safety Car

Sounds to me like a fuel cutoff that happens when the TSX reaches its rev limit - if an auto tranny it should have shifted to a higher gear. Were you in sport mode?
Old 05-26-2011 | 07:17 AM

Brad, have you checked the oil level?
it sounds like, right after you start her up, there is no oil pressure or lack of oil, and flooring it doesnt help the situation.

I would check to make sure that the oil is not low.
if oil is at its proper level, I would then pull the solenoid and clean it. But you said it was recently changed to a good one.....hmmmmm.

Last edited by justnspace; 05-26-2011 at 07:19 AM.
Old 05-26-2011 | 12:16 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by miner
Sounds to me like a fuel cutoff that happens when the TSX reaches its rev limit - if an auto tranny it should have shifted to a higher gear. Were you in sport mode?
I was in regular auto on the trans.
Old 05-26-2011 | 12:17 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by justnspace
Brad, have you checked the oil level?
it sounds like, right after you start her up, there is no oil pressure or lack of oil, and flooring it doesnt help the situation.

I would check to make sure that the oil is not low.
if oil is at its proper level, I would then pull the solenoid and clean it. But you said it was recently changed to a good one.....hmmmmm.
Yep, I checked the oil as soon as I pulled it over. I checked the level again after I got it home and all is fine. I guess it is solenoid time now.
Old 08-08-2011 | 11:36 PM
Cruisin'

Well, previously I replaced the sensor and the car was fine. Tonight I drove the car to home depot and ended up flooring it at a light to test it out and sure enough, just like before the vsa light came on and it started acting up. Same code. I reset the codes and then drove the car again. No problems when I drive it like granny. Seems like when really goosing it is when this happens. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Meanwhile I'm going to keep researching it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Brad
Old 08-09-2011 | 04:17 PM
in the 24th and a half...

P2647 is "Rocker Arm Oil Pressure Switch (VTEC Oil Pressure Switch) Circuit High Voltage"

Diagnostics include checking oil level...replacing rocker arm oil control solenoid (VTEC solenoid valve)...replacing rocker arm oil pressure switch (VTEC oil pressure switch)...fixing an open circuit...replacing ECU/PCM. All but the first use HDS readouts to confirm what to do...what did the stealership replace the first time?
Old 08-09-2011 | 09:22 PM
Cruisin'

They just replaced the oil pressure switch. Same thing I did last time.
Old 08-10-2011 | 03:48 PM

OK, assuming a correct diagnostic by the dealer, that rules the VTEC solenoid valve out (then)...so it's more likely an wiring issue (or, God help you, ECU?PCM). However, several other site with similar VTEC issues (TL, Element owners, etc) have had success with cleaing an oil filter screen within the VTEC solemoid valve unit...can anyone confirm if we have that screen?
Old 08-11-2011 | 01:04 AM
Cruisin'

It does have that screen. I plan on replacing it very soon. I maintain the car very well and have since we bought it new. I mention this since overdue oil changes can dirty the screen. I've thought about replacing all the vtec parts just to rule everything out electrical or sensor wise.
Old 08-11-2011 | 10:43 AM

Screen cleaning/replacement, followed by a code clear and ECU/PCM reset reportedly cleared those code problems in the other forums...IDK.