Alternator or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 06:53 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternator or something else?

So last November the battery light came on in my TSX along with a high pitched whirring noise. Took it to a mechanic friend who said the alternator was bad and he replaced it. About a few weeks ago(5 months later) my battery light is starting to flash off and on occasionally while I'm coming to a stop or slowing down. Doesn't seem to every come on while accelerating. Mentioned it to my mechanic and even though the voltage outputs were good he replaced the alternator for free just to be safe. After about a week the light will randomly flash again while I'm stopping or slowing down. He said my battery is still good but is there something else that could be causing this? Could my car just not like the brand of alternator. He uses a rebuilt alternators from Carquest.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:40 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rtlltj
So last November the battery light came on in my TSX along with a high pitched whirring noise. Took it to a mechanic friend who said the alternator was bad and he replaced it. About a few weeks ago(5 months later) my battery light is starting to flash off and on occasionally while I'm coming to a stop or slowing down. Doesn't seem to every come on while accelerating. Mentioned it to my mechanic and even though the voltage outputs were good he replaced the alternator for free just to be safe. After about a week the light will randomly flash again while I'm stopping or slowing down. He said my battery is still good but is there something else that could be causing this? Could my car just not like the brand of alternator. He uses a rebuilt alternators from Carquest.
My car had the similar symptoms last year (whirring noise) - it was the alternator. I had it installed at a dealership who used OEM parts. I think the entire bill was around $300 - for something critical like an alternator, you should probably just go OEM and have it done at the dealership.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:05 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by rtlltj
Sounds like the belt may be slipping. The tensioner may not keep it tight enough at low speed to allow the alternator to produce proper voltage. Food for thought.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:49 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Also possible to have a slipping bushing in the crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer. The rubber bushing gets loose and outer pulley slips instead of driving the accessory belt. Check is to make a radial mark across the face of the crankshaft pulley assy. If marks get displaced from each other the bushing is slipping.

good luck
Old 04-30-2013, 11:55 AM
POWER!!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I'd start with the simplest thing, which is to check the tensioner as Simba said. It would also probably be the easiest/cheapest thing to do.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:51 PM
Racer

A mechanic would be needed to check the tensioner?
Old 05-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Also possible to have a slipping bushing in the crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer. The rubber bushing gets loose and outer pulley slips instead of driving the accessory belt. Check is to make a radial mark across the face of the crankshaft pulley assy. If marks get displaced from each other the bushing is slipping.

good luck
Anyone willing to take a picture of exactly where I would mark it?