Alignment problem this early?? Am I just being paranoid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006 | 04:13 PM
Instructor

Question Alignment problem this early?? Am I just being paranoid?

Warning, there may be some dumb questions below:

I've had my car for only 2-3 months and just hit 3k miles. About a week ago, I started noticing whenever I drive it the steering wheel is cocked to the left a bit (11 o'clock pos.). I can't recall if it's always been like this (my previous car (98 Neon), had the same tilt). At low speeds, the car seems to fly straight, but at higher speeds (60+), it seems to drift ever so slightly to the right. So I suppose I have an alignment problem, but I don't know why. I'm the only driver, and I have not hit any potholes and speedbumps at high speeds. The only thing I can think I may have done was taking a corner to fast and causing the car to drift for a second. Would that hurt my alignment? Should I be having alignment problems after only 3k miles? Am I just being hypersensitive (when I notice something slightly wrong, I tend to dwell on it)? Should I wait until my first oil change and just mention it then or sould I be worried about it now?

Sorry for all the dumb questions. Someone please ease my mind / educate me.

BTW, I did search, but I didn't find anything to answer my question or ease my mind.
Old 10-01-2006 | 04:56 PM
2010 TL SH-AWD

My car is also cocked to 11 o'clock in order to keep the car straight. If let go of the steering wheel it will drift to the right. Currently my car has 800 miles and it was F'd up since the first day i got it 7 miles on the odometer. I believe the thrust angle is out 1-2 degree.

Have you notice any abnormal wear on your front tires?
Damn people whoever did the alignment from factory obviously have a cocked eye. Ive been wanting to get an alignment but never had time.
Old 10-01-2006 | 04:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by derbaff

I've had my car for only 2-3 months and just hit 3k miles. About a week ago, I started noticing whenever I drive it the steering wheel is cocked to the left a bit (11 o'clock pos.). I can't recall if it's always been like this (my previous car (98 Neon), had the same tilt). At low speeds, the car seems to fly straight, but at higher speeds (60+), it seems to drift ever so slightly to the right. So I suppose I have an alignment problem, but I don't know why. I'm the only driver, and I have not hit any potholes and speedbumps at high speeds. The only thing I can think I may have done was taking a corner to fast and causing the car to drift for a second. Would that hurt my alignment? Should I be having alignment problems after only 3k miles? Am I just being hypersensitive (when I notice something slightly wrong, I tend to dwell on it)? Should I wait until my first oil change and just mention it then or sould I be worried about it now?

BTW, I did search, but I didn't find anything to answer my question or ease my mind.
It could be a deffective tire or a bent rim also if you are parking on not so even ground that could also do it For example if you park in the grass over night or something like that where the ground shifts it could possibly affect your alignment.
Old 10-01-2006 | 08:49 PM
Advanced

Did you check the tire pressure?
Old 10-01-2006 | 11:11 PM
10th Gear

it also depends on what kind of ground u drive in. if the ground is uneven or unsmooth ur car tilts a little. the problem with the tire wear is that its front wheel drive, which means you use your front tires to brake and accelerate which causes alot of damage. thats why u need to do tire rotation every 7500 miles or so.
Old 10-02-2006 | 08:13 AM
Team Owner

Mine's a bit off too, but I suspect it's been thrown off by the shitty ground I drive on to get to work everyday, and my tire pressure, and the stupid rock that I hit and blew my tire out on last time.
Old 10-02-2006 | 08:13 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the replies. Yes, tire pressure was the first thing I checked. It was at 42 all around from the dealer, so I decided to bring them down to Acura's number 32/30. I mostly drive and park on standard paved road, never grass or loose gravel.

When I get my first oil change I may go ahead and have the tires rotated, though it seems kind of early. Perhaps that will help? Maybe I can talk them into a free alignment, but since the dealer I'd go to isn't the one who sold me the car, they may not be all that willing work with me, I don't know how that stuff usually works.
Old 10-02-2006 | 08:50 AM
Instructor

If it's a Acura dealership just tell them that the car has been doing that since you picked it up usually they give you the first alignment under 5000k for free.
Old 10-02-2006 | 10:14 AM
mrgold35

My TSX started drifting to the left after about 2,500 miles when driving +60 mph. I told the service manager about during my 5K service and Acura fixed it for free. Straight steering wheel and no left/right drift at +60 mph with 5500 on the ODO. Doesn't hurt to ask to fix it under warranty, just tell them the car was doing it since purchase.
Old 10-02-2006 | 08:56 PM
Driver/Detailer

Our cars in Australia get the Bridgestone RE040, and they all pull to the right after a few thousand km. The dealer is claiming that the problem is the tires....
Old 10-03-2006 | 02:40 PM
Racer

does it pull to the side when you're in gear and pressing the gas pedal and if you put it in neutral and just coast?

if it only does it when in gear and you're pressing on the gas pedal and not if you put it in neutral and just coast. then the problem is fwd torque steer. nothing short of an lsd will solve that problem.
Old 10-05-2006 | 02:05 PM
10th Gear

the tsx also has camber issues in the rear as well from the right rear upper control arm. its a service bulletin/recall. where we replace the right rear upper control arm. i do a lot of these. ask the dealer about.
Old 01-18-2007 | 12:00 AM
Advanced

yeah i have a 06 tsx and when i drive on teh highway its coked to the right a little took it to teh dealer and they said nothing was wrong
Old 01-20-2007 | 05:53 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by derbaff

there is a replacement rear upper arm for alignment issue, some time it is just tire PSI. The most common is the angle of the road. If it angle right it pulls left and visa versa.
Old 01-20-2007 | 07:57 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 1slicktL
yeah i have a 06 tsx and when i drive on teh highway its coked to the right a little took it to teh dealer and they said nothing was wrong
Same here. The steering wheel is very slightly off-centre, to the right. Highway or not, it's always the same. Dealer said it was ever so slightly off-centre, told me not to worry about it. It does bother me though, I may take it back to where I bought it and ask that it be re-aligned.

I also freak about every little thing, so I'm actually glad others like me post, so I don't feel so weird, haha!
Old 01-21-2007 | 10:58 PM
Pro

My wheel is at 1:00 to keep car straight on the highway. Problem is that I already have 8,000 miles on the car. Is it too late to get a free re-alignment? I been so lazy I never took it back to have it checked but lately it been bothering me alot.
Old 01-22-2007 | 08:57 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ninjamyst
My wheel is at 1:00 to keep car straight on the highway. Problem is that I already have 8,000 miles on the car. Is it too late to get a free re-alignment? I been so lazy I never took it back to have it checked but lately it been bothering me alot.
Alignments are not covered by the warranty. My local dealer would not fix it for me without me paying $80 (Can.) They told me to try the dealership where I bought it, to ask them to do it for free.

You can at least try...