Air Conditioning problems...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006 | 04:37 PM
Advanced

Air Conditioning problems...

Since its gotten hot out, my air conditioning has been pretty crappy. I figured I'd give you guys a try, because I'm pretty sure the dealership is just going to say they can't reproduce the problem.

When driving in stop and go or city traffic, the A/C works fine (ice cold). I seem to have problems when driving at a constant speed on flat or downhill grades (like driving on the highway) for > 10 or 20 mins at a time, then the A/C gradually gets warmer and warmer until it is just blowing hot air and I have to turn it off.

If I leave it off for a few minutes and then turn it back on, it is ice cold again.

It seems like as long as I am periodically accelerating at a decent pace, it is ice cold, and if I'm just cruising it gets really warm (hot).

Worst part is, warranty expires in only a couple thousand miles

Do you guys have any advice?

-- Rob
Old 07-11-2006 | 04:55 PM
Suzuka Master

No idea....
Old 07-11-2006 | 06:42 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Are you leaving it in Auto mode the whole time? If so, that's probably why. It's blowing really cold air at the beginning to compensate for the larger temp difference.

If you're having this problem while in manual mode, then I have no idea.
Old 07-11-2006 | 06:59 PM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Originally Posted by Tsx536
Are you leaving it in Auto mode the whole time? If so, that's probably why. It's blowing really cold air at the beginning to compensate for the larger temp difference.

If you're having this problem while in manual mode, then I have no idea.
It still should not be getting warmer to HOT air as he described.

Since your warranty runs out "shortly" why not just take it in now?
Old 07-11-2006 | 08:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 04rob
Since its gotten hot out, my air conditioning has been pretty crappy. I figured I'd give you guys a try, because I'm pretty sure the dealership is just going to say they can't reproduce the problem.

When driving in stop and go or city traffic, the A/C works fine (ice cold). I seem to have problems when driving at a constant speed on flat or downhill grades (like driving on the highway) for > 10 or 20 mins at a time, then the A/C gradually gets warmer and warmer until it is just blowing hot air and I have to turn it off.

If I leave it off for a few minutes and then turn it back on, it is ice cold again.

It seems like as long as I am periodically accelerating at a decent pace, it is ice cold, and if I'm just cruising it gets really warm (hot).

-- Rob

Sounds like you could be low on freon. Have it checked out. A AC gauage will tell what is going on. You can also have a restriction in the ac line somewhere.
Old 07-11-2006 | 09:17 PM
#TeamBoosted

man i'm having the same exact problem....but mine's just blowing out HOT air from A/C mode. I used a gauge to check my freon level...and it went to the "warning" level, meaning something's wrong with the A/C line, not freon level. Going to get it checked tomorrow.
Old 07-11-2006 | 09:59 PM
Undercover Slacker

Originally Posted by Stevestr
Since your warranty runs out "shortly" why not just take it in now?
Old 07-12-2006 | 12:17 PM
Advanced

Problem is with Manual or Auto mode. I'm taking it in soon. It seems to me that a 2-3 year old car shouldn't be low on Freon already right?

I wanted to get some feedback from you guys to use as ammuntion in case the dealership comes back with "unable to replicate problem," since it doesn't happen all of the time.

I've got about ~1200mi left on the warranty.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 07-12-2006 | 12:55 PM
Safety Car

There have been documented cases where The AC has been puncture due to raod debris - causing a leak of freon. The dealer will need to do a leak test which you will need to pay for.
Old 07-12-2006 | 10:01 PM
Racer

With the JDM Euro Rs, we have been experiencing this aircond problem. Compressor makes some noise and kaput, gone. Also aircond lubricant needs topping up. If refrigerant goes down, suspect a leak.

Auto or manual mode, check the thermostat. Also check the thermostat sensor feedback. Location is at the dashboard below the meter panels, there is this small hoirizontal slits and if sometimes build up dust and dirt. get a vaccum and suck it all out. Keep it clean and no wax or anything that can trap the dust....
Old 07-12-2006 | 10:53 PM
TSX: Boeing Dreamliner!

Just manually direct the air, fan and turn ac on with a temp of 'Lo'. It should stay cold the entire time despite driving conditions. Then again, if you set it at Lo even with Auto on for all else the temp should always be pumping in through the vents at the lowest temp.
Old 07-24-2006 | 05:53 PM
Advanced

Problem occurs in manual or auto mode, even when set to "Lo."

Took it in to the dealership, they test drove for twenty miles and let sit for 8 hours with a thermometer. Unable to reproduce the problem.

I've had it happen again subsequent to taking it in to the dealership. I've noticed that if you turn the AC system off and then on again right away, it will start working again. Happens infrequently enough that I'm not going to worry about it. Hopefully the whole system won't go kaput.
Old 07-24-2006 | 08:57 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by 04rob

-- Rob
Yeah, take it in quick.
Old 07-24-2006 | 09:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by waTSX
Yeah, take it in quick.

It's not too out of the ordinary for the car to run out of freon. I've seen cars come in that had less than a year's use run out. One thing to also make sure to do to save some of the life of the a/c: Turn it off before you turn off your car.
Old 07-24-2006 | 10:07 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Originally Posted by kurt_bradley

It's not too out of the ordinary for the car to run out of freon. I've seen cars come in that had less than a year's use run out. One thing to also make sure to do to save some of the life of the a/c: Turn it off before you turn off your car.

having it on will strain the starter and already weak battery when you crank. turn it off before you shut the engine.
Old 07-13-2007 | 01:53 PM
Advanced

Posting a follow-up for anyone else who might have the same problem. I was finally able to reproduce the problem I was having for the dealership. It was a bad relay in the fuse box under the hood. Pohanka Acura fixed it for me right there in the little car drop-off bay while I stood there. They did it free of charge since the car was still under warranty when I first brought it to them.
Old 05-28-2008 | 06:50 AM
RGSTRD TL & TSX Offdr

I just came back from the dealer w/o my car because of similar experiences. Whether in auto/manual the system on Lo produces hot air. I bought the car less than a year ago new and barely used the car at all last summer. During the winter the a/c produced hot air as I desired. It sucked as this past memorial day I drove 600 miles in 80 deg. F weather with a NBP and ebony interior. Tints helped!

I was starting to worry that it was b/c of my intake but does that have anything to do with A/C? What else can it be besides lack of freon if the car only has 5700mi? Should I expect to pay a diagnostic fee at the dealer or should it be covered under warranty?
Old 05-28-2008 | 07:41 AM
Senior Moderator

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...0&page=1&pp=40

Causes include a fuse, relay, or compressor.

If your car is under warranty, there should be no diagnostic fee and the fix should be free.
Old 05-28-2008 | 07:14 PM
RGSTRD TL & TSX Offdr

So I just received a service a call from my service rep about the situation and he said that compressor line/blah blah is damaged. He said that its not covered under the warranty. He said that he will do what he can to help me out but I'm not buying into that bull unless if he means free and covered under warranty. The car has less than 5800miles and is less than a year old and this is the first time the A/c is being used. Seeing how others experienced the same problems through the other thread that LuvMyTSX pointed out, my stubborn butt is not buying into any of the crap the mechanic fed the service rep.

I asked how could of this had happened he said the design of the grill allowed a rock/road debris to do the damage.

I left the car with them overnight and will be back tomorrow morning to meet with the service rep.

Any one have advice on how they would approach this situation?
Old 05-28-2008 | 07:50 PM
Senior Moderator

I'd start by stating that you are still under warranty. Then, if they still don't budge, go to another dealer. You should not pay a dime.
Old 05-29-2008 | 09:56 AM
still plays with cars

Originally Posted by slickrab
So I just received a service a call from my service rep about the situation and he said that compressor line/blah blah is damaged. He said that its not covered under the warranty. He said that he will do what he can to help me out but I'm not buying into that bull unless if he means free and covered under warranty. The car has less than 5800miles and is less than a year old and this is the first time the A/c is being used. Seeing how others experienced the same problems through the other thread that LuvMyTSX pointed out, my stubborn butt is not buying into any of the crap the mechanic fed the service rep.

I asked how could of this had happened he said the design of the grill allowed a rock/road debris to do the damage.

I left the car with them overnight and will be back tomorrow morning to meet with the service rep.

Any one have advice on how they would approach this situation?
Rock damage to the condenser should be covered by your vehicle comprehensive insurance. If that is truly the problem, call your claims agent. Acura is not responsible for road damage like dented fenders and stone damage so don't expect your bumper to bumper warrantee to fix it.