Acura Didnt tighten oil drain bolt/Engine driven with little to no oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 11:12 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura Didnt tighten oil drain bolt/Engine driven with little to no oil

Hi,

I had recently received an oil change at an Acura Dealer on Saturday on my 06 tsx. I was driving into work Monday morning and their were fumes coming from my engine. I pull over and towed the car back to the dealer. Apparently they had not tightened the bolt and oil was leaking over the entire weekend. I checked out my garage and where my car sits there was tons of oil everywhere. I am quite concerned about the future of the engine so I asked them go give me some options. I currently have 65k on the car. I already filled a complaint with corporate Acura. The dealer has been responsive here are their options;
- Extended warranty through a third party ( Century) apparently its accepted at every Acura?? They will not give me a Acura certified warranty. The warranty is for Power Train 3 yrs/36k. Has ne1 heard of it/used it

- Up to 100k miles warrant from the dealer itself which would be bad if I had to move

- They told me this incident would not show up on car fax.

- The other option I am still waiting on is a trade in where I could trade it in and they would give me a really good deal on a TL or something. I am still waiting to see what the "good" deal is.

Has anyone been in the same boat, I Know its prob rare any thoughts?

Last edited by jesh411; 11-18-2011 at 11:16 AM. Reason: better title
Old 11-18-2011, 12:04 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jesh411
Hi,

I had recently received an oil change at an Acura Dealer on Saturday on my 06 tsx. I was driving into work Monday morning and their were fumes coming from my engine. I pull over and towed the car back to the dealer. Apparently they had not tightened the bolt and oil was leaking over the entire weekend. I checked out my garage and where my car sits there was tons of oil everywhere. I am quite concerned about the future of the engine so I asked them go give me some options. I currently have 65k on the car. I already filled a complaint with corporate Acura. The dealer has been responsive here are their options;
- Extended warranty through a third party ( Century) apparently its accepted at every Acura?? They will not give me a Acura certified warranty. The warranty is for Power Train 3 yrs/36k. Has ne1 heard of it/used it

- Up to 100k miles warrant from the dealer itself which would be bad if I had to move

- They told me this incident would not show up on car fax.

- The other option I am still waiting on is a trade in where I could trade it in and they would give me a really good deal on a TL or something. I am still waiting to see what the "good" deal is.

Has anyone been in the same boat, I Know its prob rare any thoughts?
I think this is gross negligence. They should buy you a new engine, or give you a FANTASTIC deal on a new car (like practically free).

Acura is a big company, and I'm sure they have insurance policies on their side for such instances of gross misconduct.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:21 PM
10th Gear

Unfortunately a dealer is independent from Acura corporate so they cant do much to the dealer. I doubt they would give me a free car but making a good deal would be nice, but they just offered me 9 k?????? from my 06 tsx that has had 0 problems with 65k miles stating their are maintenance issues due to this incident that THEY caused.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:39 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Usually I have heard of others complaining the dealer tightened the bolt too tight. They aren't offering your very much for your 06 tsx. When I was thinking of trading my 06 with 95,000+ miles I was offered $11,500 for it. Did Not trade it. Good Luck and hope things work out for you.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:55 PM
Cruisin'

Did your low oil light go on? Unless you drove a lot of miles without any oil, your engine will be fine. Had this happen to an old civic & I had no problems with it for 109k miles.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:27 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Ask for 15K trade-in and dealer cost (including hold-out $$ from Corp) for the car you want.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:28 PM
still plays with cars

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jarvo1
Did your low oil light go on? Unless you drove a lot of miles without any oil, your engine will be fine. Had this happen to an old civic & I had no problems with it for 109k miles.
If the low oil light did not come on you are probably OK. That's one of the idiot alarms to awaken folks who never check oil levels.

But if they are willing to make things right, take the extended warranty anyhow.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:24 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I'm a parts advisor for a Kia dealer. We recently had a 2011 Sportage come in tapping so loud you thought it was going to throw a rod. When the tech took off the splash shield (which was covered with oil), the oil filter was covered in oil and he could spin it off with his hand. After an inspection, something blew a whole in the bottom, passenger side of the engine.

Here's the problem for the customer... he had the oil changed using aftermarket parts from a non Kia dealer. Kia won't honor his warranty for this reason. The customer is looking at a $7800 replacement cost. Obviously he's going after the oil change shop to pay for it.

The point is this... first, you kept the warranty valid by going through an Acura dealer; second, the dealer should do a complete inspection and advise you on what the damage is.

In my opinion from years as a Marine Corps mechanic and working for Honda in Colorado and Florida, I can tell you that the dealer should either do a complete rebuild on that engine, or replace the engine. They were negligent in the oil change. You've got a small claims case here and the dealer knows it. That's why they are being responsive in the first place along with they are most likely a reputable dealer too.