AC condensation or...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008 | 04:43 AM
Racer

AC condensation or...?

just picked up my 07 CPO tsx. awesome car. i however noticed a steady stream of "liquid" all over the parking lot and quite a bit of "liquid" creating a noticeable pool after i parked and turned off the car.

could this be AC condensation? if so, is it normal to have so much? i've never seen a car drip that much condensation other than the city bus!

if not, should i be worried? i couldn't tell what color the liquid was because it was night time. i did attempt to taste the liquid and it didn't taste like chemicals - it tasted like stale water.

any help would be appreciated. thanks!
Old 03-13-2008 | 07:06 AM
Old Guy

Originally Posted by 808havok_tsx
just picked up my 07 CPO tsx. awesome car. i however noticed a steady stream of "liquid" all over the parking lot and quite a bit of "liquid" creating a noticeable pool after i parked and turned off the car.

could this be AC condensation? if so, is it normal to have so much? i've never seen a car drip that much condensation other than the city bus!

if not, should i be worried? i couldn't tell what color the liquid was because it was night time. i did attempt to taste the liquid and it didn't taste like chemicals - it tasted like stale water.

any help would be appreciated. thanks!
Assuming you have the climate control on "AUTO" (I do 24/7, 12 months a year) or you've had the a/c on, you'll find your pool of water is moisture that the system has removed from the air inside the car (think a/c or dehumidifier). Of course the longer you've driven and the weather both will have an effect on the amount, but it seems there's always some water that the system will discharge when you stop. Try and get a look at the discharge, it should be clear fresh water. Perfectly normal as long as it's not anything else.
Old 03-13-2008 | 10:22 AM
Drifting

... You tasted it?
Old 03-13-2008 | 10:22 AM
Intermediate

Lightbulb Taste?!?

i did attempt to taste the liquid and it didn't taste like chemicals - it tasted like stale water.
Wow I would have never tasted the liquid....
Old 03-13-2008 | 12:30 PM
Drifting

i did attempt to taste the liquid and it didn't taste like chemicals - it tasted like stale water.
Old 03-13-2008 | 12:45 PM
Racer

lol. i know. in hind sight, it was kinda' stupid. but there was no way for me to tell because my parking lot light is yellowish so everything has a yellowish look to it. i first tried to smell it and it didn't smell like any chemicals. so i figured i take a dab of it with my pinky and try taste it - i'm well aware that if you have the AC on, you'll have a little pool of water when you stop so i wanted to see if that's what it was. i start work early in the morning so i wanted to make sure it wasn't so critical fluid that was leaking...

what bothered me was the trail of water that followed me all the way to my parking stall and what i thought was quite a bit of water pooled. my previous car did not have that much water pooled when i parked.

i'll have to keep an eye on it for a couple of days and if it keeps happening, i'll call my stupid dealership and ask about it.
Old 03-13-2008 | 12:48 PM
Drifting

Considering your humid environment, it sounds like A/C condensation like you said. The TSX A/C system is quite good in cooling the cabin. (That's of course it doesn't crap on you like some of us '04 owners).
Old 03-13-2008 | 12:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

better way to find out...look underneath the car and see where the water is dripping from. there is a black tube underneath the car that just drips the condensation out. if it is coming out of that tube, it is water.
Old 03-13-2008 | 01:03 PM
Team Owner

See if you can get a good look at it in the daytime. If its clear and doesn't feel filmy then its water and most likely a result of condensation (I mean where else in your car could water come from?).
Old 03-16-2008 | 05:34 AM
Racer

update: problem has not occurred again. i see normal ac condensation dripping after i park my car, but not a stream. i'll have to keep a look out for it and see if it happens again.
Old 03-16-2008 | 10:17 AM
Instructor

if it's just water relax, all cars do that, it's perfectly normal. mine drips oil, wanna trade?
Old 03-17-2008 | 03:56 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by cls1000
if it's just water relax, all cars do that, it's perfectly normal. mine drips oil, wanna trade?
nah, you can keep yours.

ok, so i had another trail of "liquid" left in my wake today. its a lot of "liquid"! YES, I KNOW ALL CARS HAVE AC CONDENSATION. its just that, of all the cars i've had, i've NEVER seen this much before. not even my old 91' suzuki sidekick had that much condensation drip!