5K Hesitation on AT

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 10:27 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5K Hesitation on AT

I have the aem short ram with hondata. I am experiancing the hesitation at 5K, it is weird. I just got back from driving, my problem is the 3rd gear will not pass 7000 rpms around at 75% throttle down. the 4th gear gets stuck at 5K rpms.....it is very weird.

My roommate has the 6spd with the same mods as mine, his car has no hesitation..

something wrong??????
Do I need other mods? Header????

I will really appreciate some response. Thanxs.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:02 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the same problem too with my 5AT with Hondata, Comptech headers and Injen CAI.

At around 5k RPM in 3rd gear, it hesitates... It fluctuates from 5100 rpm down to 5000 up to 5100 again etc... The VTEC crossover is noticable in all gears except for 1st. Sometimes in other gears it hesitates after ~5k rpm too.

I'm installing a high-flow cat tommorow to see if this the remedy for this problem, another member (Triz08) said after he installed a high-flow cat the hesitation was gone.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:20 PM
Tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does it feel like the VSA cutting throttle? Try some runs with the VSA off and see if it makes a diff. If not, then its probably a bug in reflash that Hondata didn't catch.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:26 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TechSX
Does it feel like the VSA cutting throttle? Try some runs with the VSA off and see if it makes a diff. If not, then its probably a bug in reflash that Hondata didn't catch.

I've tried that, thanks for the suggestion though.

I've also tried different headers (DC Sports), and different air filters... No dice.
I'll let you guys know what the high flow cat does.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:20 PM
Instructor

annoyed

I was actually thinking of getting some comptech header......but I got a car tax bill., yesterday.....CT suckssssssssss...............the bill is as high as the header...
F%^$#K even with the header installed the problem isn't fixed....I didn't know that! I was under the impression that the stock header is very limiting....was I wrong.

u guys mentioned u were able to hit 5K on all gears..at what throttle percentage is that?????? are u flooring at that point?????
Old 07-07-2005, 09:09 PM
A Commuter

my car actually does that also....but i don't have hondata~

whenever i downshift to 3rd from 5th on the freeway...it hesitate around that rpm range...

WEIRD~~~~~

is this somthing i should consult my dealer with?
Old 07-07-2005, 10:57 PM
Burning Brakes

....hondata bug reflash.....

that sux
Old 07-08-2005, 04:29 PM
Racer

Ive been through this problem for quite sometime now. Ive talked to some of the RSX guys and they say the same thing happens with the reflashes for the rsx. They say its a small dip in acceleration followed by nice strong pull. Since the tsx reflash was designed on a manual tsx with intake and a header, it would only perform flawlessly on a manual. Ive ridden in 2 manual hondata tsx's before and there is no drop at 5k whatsoever. However, in auto's since the gear ratios are much larger, we take longer to get through the rpm range than the manuals do (Sorry i dont know all the technical terms so bare with me).

I know have Injen intake, dc headers, highflow cat, comptech exhuast, and of course hondata. The hesitation was most noticeable with just the hondata, intake, and exhuast. I decided to purchase the dc header to see if that would be the fix, and it fixed a good amount of the hesitation but i still could feel it there. I say about 75% of the hesitation was gone at this time. Just in the past month i decided to put a highflow cat on there to see what it would do. This caused pretty much all of the hesitation to dissapear and made the whole acceleration through the rpm much more consistant and smoother.

But since there was a bug from the start, there isnt going to be a perfect fix or solution to the problem. Only thing to look foward to if you really arent happy with the reflash is the K-Pro which will be programmable to whatever specs that work best with your car. Might take a while before you see one of these though.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by drkabe
I have the aem short ram with hondata. I am experiancing the hesitation at 5K, it is weird. I just got back from driving, my problem is the 3rd gear will not pass 7000 rpms around at 75% throttle down. the 4th gear gets stuck at 5K rpms.....it is very weird.

My roommate has the 6spd with the same mods as mine, his car has no hesitation..

something wrong??????
Do I need other mods? Header????

I will really appreciate some response. Thanxs.
You should not be at that high of a rpm if you are not at WOT. If your going to be going into Vtec territory, you should deffintately be at wide open throttle or hondata wont work properly.

Also, learn the gearing of the sportshift to use it properly. If you go out and and try to accelerate in 4th gear, while going 20 mphs. The tach will not go over 3k rpm, and climb very slowly. When in normal automatic driving, If you press hard on the gas, the car will automatically downshift for you, so you get the acceleration you desire depending on how hard your foot is on the gas. In tiptronic, people dont seem to understand why there car wont accelerate as hard maybe when they downshift when gear and accelerate. Alot of the times, you can drop it into 2nd or 3rd and it will cause your rpms to jump up to about 5-6k or so depending on what speed you were going before.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Triz08
You should not be at that high of a rpm if you are not at WOT. If your going to be going into Vtec territory, you should deffintately be at wide open throttle or hondata wont work properly.

Also, learn the gearing of the sportshift to use it properly. If you go out and and try to accelerate in 4th gear, while going 20 mphs. The tach will not go over 3k rpm, and climb very slowly. When in normal automatic driving, If you press hard on the gas, the car will automatically downshift for you, so you get the acceleration you desire depending on how hard your foot is on the gas. In tiptronic, people dont seem to understand why there car wont accelerate as hard maybe when they downshift when gear and accelerate. Alot of the times, you can drop it into 2nd or 3rd and it will cause your rpms to jump up to about 5-6k or so depending on what speed you were going before.

Thanks, I usually do that, but seeing my room mate in his 6spd accelerate from 4th gear and gun from there..I started to wonder what if I could do the same and was dissapointed with the results. So wantred to make sure ..that people with AT were having the same issues.

My first mod was Hondata, my room mate definitiely felt the car acceleration fromk the stock ECU. So I don't believe there is a bug in the reflash. IMO I think its the auto transmission.

I have driven the 6spd manual...and only have to say....the RPMS really like to look at the sky.....I was really suprised...same car and what a difference.

I kinda like the intake..it really attracts attention from the mustang, evo, subaru, and GTO....and std civics.....they always want to race......its kind a good and bad...
Old 07-08-2005, 09:27 PM
Pro

I just got my high flow cat in by Labree Motorsports... It fixed the hesitation problem I was having with Hondata, Triz08 was right.

Thank you rmpage for suggesting the idea in the other thread!
Old 07-09-2005, 12:04 AM
A Commuter

so its not normal for non hondata AT's to have the hesitation when downshifted????

CRAPPPPP~~~~~~~

time for a dealer visit?
Old 07-09-2005, 01:11 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by nahooneyya
so its not normal for non hondata AT's to have the hesitation when downshifted????

CRAPPPPP~~~~~~~

time for a dealer visit?
No, no, it's still noticable but it can be alot worse if you didnt downshift enough.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:12 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by drkangel348
I just got my high flow cat in by Labree Motorsports... It fixed the hesitation problem I was having with Hondata, Triz08 was right.

Thank you rmpage for suggesting the idea in the other thread!
What do you think of the results. Im intreseted in what others think about it.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:26 PM
Pro

Actually after "testing" it for a day, there still seems to be some slight hesitation at 5800rpm in third gear.The RPM's drop from 5800 to 5600 back up to 5800 again. It pulls harder with the new cat though, and there isn't as much hesitation as before. I'm getting a custom exhaust done soon in the future maybe that will help too?
Old 07-09-2005, 07:52 PM
Instructor

Question

Originally Posted by drkangel348
Actually after "testing" it for a day, there still seems to be some slight hesitation at 5800rpm in third gear.The RPM's drop from 5800 to 5600 back up to 5800 again. It pulls harder with the new cat though, and there isn't as much hesitation as before. I'm getting a custom exhaust done soon in the future maybe that will help too?

to fight this hesitation, should i get the greddy exhaust first? or the comptech header?
Old 07-10-2005, 01:24 AM
Racer

header helped most from me. I had my exhuast on before i got hondata so i couldnt test the difference.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:48 AM
Burning Brakes

so...is the hesitation cause by hondata bug?
Old 07-11-2005, 08:34 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My theory behind why we have hesitation at Vtec engagement is because when the engine switches into the high cam, the intake is sucking in more air than the exhuast can move out.

I did something kind of interesting a couple of weeks ago. I switched my Injen intake from cold air mode to short ram mode. What I've noticed so far is that after doing that the hesitation is pretty much gone. The power seems more linear and the hesitation is noticeably much shorter than it was when I had the intake in Cold air mode.

I'm thinking since the reflash was designed around the Comptech Icebox, which sucks in less air than the Injen in CAI mode, then that's why we get the hesitation. I spoke to a Hondata owner who was all stock except for an icebox and he said he didn't notice any hesitation.

You guys should consider trying this to see how it effects the hesitation. I'm guessing with the intake in short ram mode and also a high flow cat the hesitation will be completely gone.