4th blown tranny

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003 | 11:04 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by tsx-mdxman
Where you getting 1% from even?
Since the ratio will be 4/number of active 6MT members here , the question is what value to assign to "number of active 6MT members" and of course there can't be an exact figure to use. I honestly figure there are probably only 50 or so active 6mt members here, which would give 8% failure rate. But just to make things even better I assumed 400 active 6mt members at most...which is probably WAY to high....to get >1%. I think 3-6% is very possible we could never say for sure.
Old 11-18-2003 | 11:17 PM
Racer

fdl, I don't mean to be rude, but I think you've been taking Rush's medication... If I had a problem with my car I would be online pronto. I would bet that the TSX has been hugely followed on both this and ClubTSX (originally, at least). This car is somewhat akin to a M-series bmw - it is a niche vehicle, and purchasers pride themselves on their car (why else would you not buy a Malibu)?

50 6MT users on this web site. Ba humbug.

Some people are jumping the gun on this. This is no Camry sludge, Accord AUTO problem etc. It may prove to be an issue, but sample size of reported problems is way to small to be meaningful. Statistically, you're prone to a type 1 error.
Old 11-18-2003 | 11:38 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by zircon
fdl, I don't mean to be rude, but I think you've been taking Rush's medication... If I had a problem with my car I would be online pronto. I would bet that the TSX has been hugely followed on both this and ClubTSX (originally, at least). This car is somewhat akin to a M-series bmw - it is a niche vehicle, and purchasers pride themselves on their car (why else would you not buy a Malibu)?

50 6MT users on this web site. Ba humbug.

I said 50 ACTIVE memebers, and when I did my caculation I blew that number up to 400. is that not reasonbale? I think even when considering non-members who just read, 400 is still more than enough for the ratio. Do you really beleive that 30..40..50% of tsx owners come to this site. Or even know about it? I still say 1% is a realistic number.
Old 11-18-2003 | 11:43 PM
Racer

well, we may never know (the problem rate), although if we get another 50 people complaining then I will agree with you. Really, I do think the numbers are too small right now to be a concern (and I have a MT).

Sorry about the snide remark above - I tried to remove it.
Old 11-18-2003 | 11:56 PM
YBA
Burning Brakes

If the 6MT is weak, I will probably end up with a broken tranny sooner or later. So far I have 8000KM on the car but I have no problems yet. Generally, I readline the engine pretty much everytime I take off from standstill or when I get on a highway. I hope it doesn't happen to me (or any of you) but worst comes to worst, the 5 year warranty will take care of it.

If the problem gets reoccuring, dealers will probably receive a bulletin from Acura Canada (or US) to inform them of the possible trannie problems.

Regards
Old 11-19-2003 | 08:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by fdl
....Do you really beleive that 30..40..50% of tsx owners come to this site. Or even know about it? I still say 1% is a realistic number.
I think we're starting to speculate a bit too much here. I could make the assumption that people who don't come to this board don't care as much about cars as we do and thus don't drive as hard and conclude that none of their trannies failed. There's too many unknowns. Even if 1% turns out to be a realistic number, 10+% is not. And even if 1% turns out the be the right number, I'd still take those odds. Condoms have a 6% failure rate! Should we all stop having sex? Of course not.
Old 11-19-2003 | 08:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by JeffTSX
....I have both cars. RSX-S has a famous "can't shift into 3rd" problem which I don't have....
Do you have the "can't shift into 2nd" (when cold) on your TSX? I do. Ugh...
Old 11-19-2003 | 09:22 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by zircon
Failure rate of >10%? It don't compute. Let's assume that 20% of the cars sold thus far are 6MT, or (.2x16000) = 3200 cars. Let's assume further that the 4 problems represent half of the real number (we tend to update each other on this car, sothis seems plausible) = 8 problems. This give a rate of 8 problems per 3200 cars = 0.25%. HOnda isn't perfect, but this is not a high problem rate. Compare it to any other brand and it would compare well. However, the 1st year issue may come into play as all manufacturers alter their cars over the 1st year to work bugs out. Then again, this car has been on sale in Europe and Japan for some time, so it is not entirely new.
The voice of reason. Thank you! You guys are the embodiment of pessimism.
Old 11-19-2003 | 02:03 PM
2004 TL Owner

glad i am waiting till the 2005 model year to come out
Old 11-19-2003 | 02:45 PM
dnb
in search of PW threads

Originally posted by ClutchPerformer
Condoms have a 6% failure rate! Should we all stop having sex?
Poll! We need a poll!
Old 11-19-2003 | 07:16 PM
Racer

Originally posted by ClutchPerformer
Do you have the "can't shift into 2nd" (when cold) on your TSX? I do. Ugh...
Yes, I have this problem too. Sometimes I'll get it in and then it will "pop" out.
Old 11-19-2003 | 07:47 PM

If all 15k TSXs were sold, we just need to find out how many here actually own the car to find out the failure rate.
Old 11-19-2003 | 07:48 PM

1% is what 150 people? Maybe not even that many are here yet.
Old 11-19-2003 | 08:53 PM
Kickstand

Originally posted by ssm_tsx
Yes, I have this problem too. Sometimes I'll get it in and then it will "pop" out.
Sorry...never had that problem...only prob I have with my tranny is when I come off the clutch too fast...but since I moved over to the short shifter from Comptech I really dont have that problem
Old 11-20-2003 | 01:23 AM
Advanced

I am leasing my 6mt

I decided to lease my TSX, and some of the logic behind this was to see how well the car was holding up when the lease expires, then decide on keeping it.

You guys think I should drive the shit out of it now just to make sure the MT goes before my lease is up rather than after? (I am halfway joking).
Old 11-20-2003 | 06:53 AM
The Voice of Reason

Re: I am leasing my 6mt

Originally posted by calbear2k1
You guys think I should drive the shit out of it now just to make sure the MT goes before my lease is up rather than after? (I am halfway joking).
It is also a well-established fact that rented, leased and company cars are fastest.

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/8949/drive.html

"You have to get a car that handles really well. This is extremely important, and there's a lot of debate on this subject about what kind of car handles best. Some say a front- engined car; some say a rear-engined car. I say a rented car. Nothing handles better than a rented car. You can go faster, turn corners sharper, and put the transmission into reverse while going forward at a higher rate of speed in a rented car than in any other kind. You can also park without looking, and can use the trunk as an ice chest. Another thing about a rented car is that it's an all-terrain vehicle. Mud, snow, water, woods, you can take a rented car anywhere. True, you can't always get it back, but that's not your problem, is it?"- P.J. O' Rourke (Humorist)
Old 11-20-2003 | 09:47 AM
Registered AssHat

Re: Re: I am leasing my 6mt

Originally posted by bob shiftright
It is also a well-established fact that rented, leased and company cars are fastest.

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/8949/drive.html

"You have to get a car that handles really well. This is extremely important, and there's a lot of debate on this subject about what kind of car handles best. Some say a front- engined car; some say a rear-engined car. I say a rented car. Nothing handles better than a rented car. You can go faster, turn corners sharper, and put the transmission into reverse while going forward at a higher rate of speed in a rented car than in any other kind. You can also park without looking, and can use the trunk as an ice chest. Another thing about a rented car is that it's an all-terrain vehicle. Mud, snow, water, woods, you can take a rented car anywhere. True, you can't always get it back, but that's not your problem, is it?"- P.J. O' Rourke (Humorist)
This I would agree with. My last leased car went through hell. Let's just say I kept wishing my '99 Accord LX Sedan was a WRC car. Gravel road...e-brake turns...oil change?
Old 11-21-2003 | 01:00 AM
Houston we have a problem

All n all, does anybody know what went wrong with those transmissions? Did the unfortunate guys heard from the dealer yet?
Old 11-21-2003 | 06:34 AM
Safety Car

Since some owners of blown transmissions have acknowledged seeing silver liquid come out when the fluid is drained, could there possibly be some chemical reaction between the fluid & the magnesium casing which could be causing these problems?
Old 11-21-2003 | 07:41 AM
wiz
Pro

Well to ease everybody's mind a bit. I just passed over 15k miles last night and you could say I drive my car hard at times, but not all the time. I've even taught 2 women how to drive a manual with my TSX. The only problem I have had so far is the brakes having a bad vibration when braking. They replaced the rotors under warranty and the car is like new again after the 15k mile maintenance.
Old 11-21-2003 | 08:25 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by wiz
Well to ease everybody's mind a bit. I just passed over 15k miles last night and you could say I drive my car hard at times, but not all the time. I've even taught 2 women how to drive a manual with my TSX. The only problem I have had so far is the brakes having a bad vibration when braking. They replaced the rotors under warranty and the car is like new again after the 15k mile maintenance.
I'm almost at 11,000 miles myself.
Old 11-24-2003 | 12:01 PM
Cruisin'

well here is the latest BS-

Acura of Walpole MASS called me today to let me know that they are not going to warenty the transmission. they said that a pin brok off and whent through the case. they said that it is my fault, all the parts to the transmission and clutch were "blue" form over heating (i bet thats what happens when you drive a trannie 60 miles with no fluid) that the tires were worn down 50% (compleate BS) and that since i damaged the front end ( scratched by getting dragged across a fence - yea dumb move but shit happens) theat i was rocking the car back and forth and fcked it up. oh yea and i must have been spinning my tires alot too etc. (sure its soooo freaking easy to spin tires with the traction conterol on- i generaly leave it on)

I drive my car like a performance car, i like hard cornering and enjoy the feel of the car as it moves through trafic lanes. I had an RSX-S for 22 months and i drove it a whole lot harder than this car. and never had an issue with it.

right now i am contacting my Attorny general and will bring suit against acura. I would like any help that can be offerered, anyone that had this problem (trannie issue) i would appreciate details etc you can e-mail me at dg4lj@yahoo.com
Old 11-24-2003 | 12:10 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Originally posted by Mcc18
well here is the latest BS-

Acura of Walpole MASS called me today to let me know that they are not going to warenty the transmission. they said that a pin brok off and whent through the case. they said that it is my fault, all the parts to the transmission and clutch were "blue" form over heating (i bet thats what happens when you drive a trannie 60 miles with no fluid) that the tires were worn down 50% (compleate BS) and that since i damaged the front end ( scratched by getting dragged across a fence - yea dumb move but shit happens) theat i was rocking the car back and forth and fcked it up. oh yea and i must have been spinning my tires alot too etc. (sure its soooo freaking easy to spin tires with the traction conterol on- i generaly leave it on)

I drive my car like a performance car, i like hard cornering and enjoy the feel of the car as it moves through trafic lanes. I had an RSX-S for 22 months and i drove it a whole lot harder than this car. and never had an issue with it.

right now i am contacting my Attorny general and will bring suit against acura. I would like any help that can be offerered, anyone that had this problem (trannie issue) i would appreciate details etc you can e-mail me at dg4lj@yahoo.com
I think the best thing to do is contact the acura district rep directly and give him a piece of your mind. Someone did that previously and got everything covered under warranty.
Old 11-24-2003 | 12:25 PM
9th Gear

You best bet is to call Acura Customer Care and talk to a District Manager. They tried to pull the same crap on me until I talked
to Customer Care. Call 800 3822238.
Old 11-24-2003 | 02:51 PM
Cruisin'

Ok i have called everyone and their mother at this point.

Acura customer care is saying that they will investigate.

The Attorney General is going sending me a complaint from, and i called up the 3 major TV networks consumer affairs teams. To tell them my story. I think a big part of this BS is because I’m 24 and hardly look 20.

Could the three guys who have had this problem please contact me. I want to hand the investigator a copy of what happened to you guys, to show that this is not an isolated event, and it should be covered by warranty.

I talked to my mechanic who told me that what they are saying is bull. A bolt flew out of the freaking case! It wasn’t caused by something external. And there was no misfit because there were no gears specifically destroyed.

(I was able to drive the car home 20 miles without much trouble)

So this is my shout for help. Please send me inform about what happened to you, and some detail about your car.

Thanks - Matt - dg4lj@yahoo.com
Old 11-24-2003 | 03:35 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Good luck Matt. Keep us posted.
Old 11-24-2003 | 03:40 PM
VTECSTASY!

MCC18... ill email you my experience with this tomorrow as I am very busy here at work. I'll me more than happy to help!
Old 11-24-2003 | 03:44 PM
The Voice of Reason

Ok i have called everyone and their mother at this point.

Acura customer care is saying that they will investigate.

The Attorney General is going sending me a complaint from, and i called up the 3 major TV networks consumer affairs teams
Honda eventually caved on the CL-TL-Odyssey transmissions and extended the warranty to 100,000 miles and refunded costs to those who had the early failures. So there is hope although the experience was no doubt very painful for those with the early failures. A part of the problem is that almost everyone thinks Honda makes "perfect" products. There was a story posted on the Odyssey board where an owner had a sliding side door fall off the car and Honda customer care claimed she forced it. Nice explanation except the woman weighed maybe 90 pounds. Eventually Honda replaced her door with a new one.

Good luck, seriously, because if you don't have success here it looks like my Acura purchase may have been a mistake!
Old 11-26-2003 | 09:36 AM
Cruisin'

Things are not looking good. Acura customer service is siding with the dealer, any ideas?

-btw had i know this bs was going to happen i would have actually pushed the car.
Old 11-26-2003 | 09:40 AM
Drifting

Things are not looking good. Acura customer service is siding with the dealer, any ideas?
Attorney!
Old 11-26-2003 | 09:43 AM
Cruisin'

im going to, i just want to cry at this point. i am so disapointed. this is the last acura i will buy and i will activly discourage people not to purchase an acura due to this experience.
Old 11-26-2003 | 09:47 AM
Drifting

im going to, i just want to cry at this point. i am so disapointed. this is the last acura i will buy and i will activly discourage people not to purchase an acura due to this experience.
Well, I'm very sorry to hear that, I really am, but don't go trolling on this website. We don't need that here. Maybe it'll work out in the end.
Old 11-26-2003 | 09:54 AM
Instructor

First, getting an attorney will only be good for the attorney.
You'd be better off using small claims court.
The problem is that a judge would probably take the dealer's word over yours. It's a lousy situation to be in.

The question I have is - Why would the dealer lie?
If they replace a tranny under warranty, they get paid, so why would they lie?

Hope this all works out for you!!!

Eneg
Old 11-26-2003 | 09:57 AM
Instructor

I'd complain loudly to Acura Customer Care, ask to speak with thier boss or whatever, or district manager like someone said. Usually if there is any doubt, Honda will just fix it...odd that they're acting like this.
Old 11-26-2003 | 10:01 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by esr5096
I'd complain loudly to Acura Customer Care, ask to speak with thier boss or whatever, or district manager like someone said. Usually if there is any doubt, Honda will just fix it...odd that they're acting like this.
Do all that and kill 'em with kindness. Patiently explain your position and be very polite. Good communication is essential here. Write down some talking points if you must. Be sure to explain how much you love Honda products (assuming you do), talk about past experiences with the company, etc.
Old 11-26-2003 | 10:08 AM
Cruisin'

i am still waitng for the district service manager to call me back. she is on vacation. i was told not to expect to hear anthing untill monday.

ACC said they spoke to the service manager at the dealership and they believe that the part was not defective. i dont get it. a bolt come out of the transmission case, the gears themself were all fine - iw as able to drive home without much trouble, just soft cluch. If i mis-shifted and messed up a gear or 2 sure, blame me. but thats nothing near what happened.

I have begun to write my letters now. I will have the name address and phone number for all of the AHMC board memebrs soon. (its a joy that its required that that all must be publicly acessible) I just finished filling out the complaint form to the attorney generals office.

The truth is I love this car and have had great experiences with honda and acura products up to this event. I have always consided them mechanicaly sound, one of the main reason i bought an acura was because they are both high performance and are known to have very few problems.
Old 11-26-2003 | 11:55 AM
Instructor

Might want to check into lemon law too... I don't know if they'd just go on whatever the dealer says the fault is or not.
Old 11-30-2003 | 04:36 PM
Cruisin'

I hope your problems will be solved soon in a decent manner.
Old 12-01-2003 | 10:40 AM
Cruisin'

anyone who said that they had this problem I would appreciate it if you could send me wna e-mail with your story, name, etc.

I had the owner of the dealership call me up last weds to tell me that he is looking into this personally. They were resubmitting to honda today and meeting with the the district manager for service. I should have an answer tomorrow.

Matt- dg4lj@yahoo.com
Old 12-03-2003 | 01:16 PM
Cruisin'

OK guys this is the end result. - Acura has said no. no coverage, they want the loaner back. I am screwed.

people that have had this happen to you PLEASE!!!! write to me with your storie and information. I will need it for when i take them to court and for the consumer advocasy groups.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!

-Matt Cardoso
dg4lj@yahoo.com

Quick Reply: 4th blown tranny