45,000 miles and clutch makes rubbing noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 11:20 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
45,000 miles and clutch makes rubbing noise

I am coming upon my warranty expiration (45,000 miles now)! I love my TSX (silver 6spd), but enjoyed it more in the first year when nobody else had one. It's good to see more and more people appreciating the car. The reason I bought it was the reliability (I wanted to test that "110,000 miles before 1st major tune up" claim). My only complaint is I wasn't expecting to spend $250 every 15,000 miles for minor service and to turn off my service engine light.

I have a very steep driveway and have noticed that when I begin accelerating and just begin to let the clutch out it lets out a very loud and annoying rubbing noise. It sounds like a belt that needs tightening. It's pretty embarrasing at stop lights that are on inclines. It only happens when there is an incline. I have to pop the clutch to pass this point quickly to avoid this noise.

Any advice before hitting the dealership?

BTW - my dealership did my trunk harness recall wiring a few months ago and the trunk support on the drivers side rubs the carpet in the trunk (when you open and close it). I brought it back a week later and they didn't fix it. Should I cut the carpet myself, so it doesn't rub? Or head to another dealership?

Also, since I'm asking for some advice already, I'm moving to Chicago in June and want to know of some reputable dealerships in the northern suburbs (Evanston area).

Thanks.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:03 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Denver, the wire harness fix rubbed on mine too for a while, and either I don't notice it anymore, or it doesn't do it anymore, because I stopped noticing it lately.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:25 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by DenverTSX
BTW - my dealership did my trunk harness recall wiring a few months ago and the trunk support on the drivers side rubs the carpet in the trunk (when you open and close it). I brought it back a week later and they didn't fix it. Should I cut the carpet myself, so it doesn't rub? Or head to another dealership?
they broke the clip that holds the trim on, don't cut the carpet, get the clip replaced. i told mine what happened and they knew how to fix it, just ordered a part.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:36 PM
10th Gear

Thanks Xizor. I can push the cover up a bit and it won't rub until I open the trunk again. I'll take it to the dealership and have them replace the clip. It makes sense that the clip is broken, since the plastic cover won't stay up more (and rubs the carpet a bit).

My bigger concern was the clutch making this noise. Any ideas on what it might be? Can my clutch already be going? It feels normal except for this noise when accelerating on hills. I'm not much of a "Need for Speed" driver. I do enjoy going 90-100 on the highways, but I never race it off the line.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:03 PM
Pro

my clutch seems to be making that rubbing noise going in reverse. I'm up on 49k right now. Will make sure I hear that noise and hopefully bring it in before I hit 50k.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:10 PM
Use all 3 Pedals at once

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DenverTSX
Thanks Xizor. I can push the cover up a bit and it won't rub until I open the trunk again. I'll take it to the dealership and have them replace the clip. It makes sense that the clip is broken, since the plastic cover won't stay up more (and rubs the carpet a bit).

My bigger concern was the clutch making this noise. Any ideas on what it might be? Can my clutch already be going? It feels normal except for this noise when accelerating on hills. I'm not much of a "Need for Speed" driver. I do enjoy going 90-100 on the highways, but I never race it off the line.
I think my car makes the same noise. I never knew how to describe it though. I have ~62,000 Miles on my TSX
Old 12-21-2005, 04:18 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by TSX 3Pedal
I think my car makes the same noise. I never knew how to describe it though. I have ~62,000 Miles on my TSX
Mine does it too. I've been told that's because either my push plate or flywheel is glazed. It's annoying, but nothing terminal in itself.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:50 PM
Use all 3 Pedals at once

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How does it become glazed?
Old 12-21-2005, 05:27 PM
Advanced

My '04 6spd makes a rubbing/squealing noise now also! It sounds like a belt is slipping as you let the clutch out to accelerate from an incline.
Anyone have this fixed yet?
Thanks

Oh yeah I got 31,600 miles on the car
Old 12-21-2005, 10:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by TSX 3Pedal
How does it become glazed?
I have not the slightest idea. All I know is it is a pretty common problem with older gen Accords.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:13 PM
Advanced

Glazed

Well just got back from the dealer and they say my clutch is glazed. They say it shouldn't cause any problems or get any worse. Pretty much that I have to put up with this......which I don't feel I should have to do. I've owned 5 manual drive cars and not one of them had this problem.
The service advisor did say they could replace the clutch but the glazing would reoccur and bring the sqeaking back. Any one have any suggestions on getting Acura to fix this?

Thanks
Old 01-11-2006, 04:18 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I'm not surprised to hear this. Indeed it is a common phenomenon among Honda Accords, and yes, we do have to put up with it.

There's nothing critical about this noise. It won't cause any harm or premature wear. You should indeed prepare yourself to deal with it.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:13 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sauceman
I'm not surprised to hear this. Indeed it is a common phenomenon among Honda Accords, and yes, we do have to put up with it.

There's nothing critical about this noise. It won't cause any harm or premature wear. You should indeed prepare yourself to deal with it.

Found this thread about the exact clutch issues I am experiencing at 100,000 kms. So it appears the TSX clutch is a POS.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:16 PM
Cruisin'

Clutch Moaning

My car makes this noise too -- only when I'm accelerating from a stop on an incline. It kind of reminds me of the sound a ship makes when it's sinking -- metal moaning under pressure or something. Shifts fine though. I figured it was the clutch..
Old 06-03-2007, 03:42 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by AZSCOTT
My car makes this noise too -- only when I'm accelerating from a stop on an incline. It kind of reminds me of the sound a ship makes when it's sinking -- metal moaning under pressure or something. Shifts fine though. I figured it was the clutch..
The dealer lubricated it for me once and then it happened again. I bought some lubricating spray and just sprayed it. I did that almost a year ago and I haven't heard anything since.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:59 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Which hole on the transmission case did you spray into? I want to know so that in case I need to lube my release bearing, I won't be spraying in the dark.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:38 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Clutch Issue

I had this happen to me as well, around the same mileage, this is now over 20,000 miles ago, car still makes the noise but functions properly.

When I took it to the dealer, I got this whole speach about how if I had the automatic, the shifts would be controlled, etc, etc...

Basically, the conversation boiled down to two points: the clutch was a wear and tear item, and secondly, with just the noise there was no way for the dealer to distinguish between the effects of abuse and an actual defect.

The service guy had to "talk to his manager" and return another 20 minutes later with an estimate to dissassemble and reassemble everything necessary to get to the clutch. We were talking about over $800 at this point. He was looking for me to consent to this charge, as it could be my responsibility to pay for that and the replacement parts/labor (which were unknown at that point?) if the service tech(s) determined it was a result of abuse rather than a defect. I was assured the worst case would be a total repair cost of about $1500, but it would probably be less than that.

At this point, I had already had the Hondata reflash, as well as a few other mods. The Hondata program will let you rev then engine a few hundred RPM higher than the stock ECU programming. I was already thinking this could be decide in the dealership's favor.

In the event that the service tech(s) agreed that it was a defect and not abuse, I could have gotten the dealership to pay. I left the dealership with all these estimates and parts costs in hand...

...and went somewhere a little more local for a second opinion! The first question I asked was how much labor would be involved if all I wanted them to do was tear it down and tell me what's wrong, then put it back together. $350. I got a funny look and a "why would you want that?" and explained the whole situation, as well as let this guy drive the car.

It wouldnt make the noise until we found a rather steep hill. He was relatively sure that the noise was related to either warping or glazing, and that resurfacing would cure it. Both shops were in agreement that it might be smart to replace some parts while everything's open.

I am probably going to use the clutch for as long as it feels like it is working properly, then go for something aftermarket, as I would not want to buy another OEM clutch, only to have it making all this noise again after the same mileage...