2008 TSX, 24k miles, 6-speed rebuilt and now has problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 01:50 PM
gets all the crazy chicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2008 TSX, 24k miles, 6-speed rebuilt and now has problems

I was "fortunate" enough to have 3rd gear on my 2008 TSX grind when shifted into @ 23k miles. The dealership ended up rebuilding the otherwise flawless transmission, and replaced the clutch (at my cost), and now I'm having TONS of issues. I've already driven it for 600-700 miles to "break it in" hoping it would magically get better, with no luck.

1. Biggest problem thus far is the rough shifting/notchiness I'm dealing with all gears, and random grinds when shifted into reverse. It seems to get better in warmer weather (though N->1 shift seems too "free" and easy in warm weather, if that makes sense); notchiness now randomly comes and goes in warm weather. 2->3, 3->4 sometimes "springs" into the next gear when I shift.

2. Clutch engagement was frustratingly low to the ground when I got it (0.75" from the ground), but it looks like it self-adjusted (or I adjusted to it) and that's not an issue. *NEW* clutch also slipped for the first day or two after I picked it up when taking off in 1st. Clutch click was very noticeable, but dealer said this was "normal" and it has always done that. Told him that's impossible, I bought this car new but that's what he claimed, and did not even take the car in. The problem has since disappeared, as far as I can tell.

I've got an appointment with another dealership next week, but being as I've never had to replace a clutch OR transmission in my life I want to get more educated on this so I can get it fixed right. Can anyone smarter than me chime in?

Last edited by CiViCKiDD; 04-01-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:34 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by CiViCKiDD
I was "fortunate" enough to have 3rd gear on my 2008 TSX grind when shifted into @ 23k miles. The dealership ended up rebuilding the otherwise flawless transmission, and replaced the clutch (at my cost), and now I'm having TONS of issues. I've already driven it for 600-700 miles to "break it in" hoping it would magically get better, with no luck.

1. Biggest problem thus far is the rough shifting/notchiness I'm dealing with all gears, and random grinds when shifted into reverse. It seems to get better in warmer weather (though N->1 shift seems too "free" and easy in warm weather, if that makes sense); notchiness now randomly comes and goes in warm weather. 2->3, 3->4 sometimes "springs" into the next gear when I shift.

2. Clutch engagement was frustratingly low to the ground when I got it (0.75" from the ground), but it looks like it self-adjusted (or I adjusted to it) and that's not an issue. *NEW* clutch also slipped for the first day or two after I picked it up when taking off in 1st. Clutch click was very noticeable, but dealer said this was "normal" and it has always done that. Told him that's impossible, I bought this car new but that's what he claimed, and did not even take the car in. The problem has since disappeared, as far as I can tell.

I've got an appointment with another dealership next week, but being as I've never had to replace a clutch OR transmission in my life I want to get more educated on this so I can get it fixed right. Can anyone smarter than me chime in?
Did you bring the car back to the first dealer and see if they could fix it first. I can not help you as I have never had to replace the clutch on any of the numerous vehicles I have owned.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:50 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Sorry you're having trouble with your car, but boy am I glad I bought an AT (118K miles and flawless)(and that's why I bought an AT by the way).
Old 04-02-2010, 04:00 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by Simba91102
Sorry you're having trouble with your car, but boy am I glad I bought an AT (118K miles and flawless)(and that's why I bought an AT by the way).
Didn't the car first belong to your wife and that is what she wanted. (LOL) From looking at other posts-AT seems to have more problems than MT-
Old 04-03-2010, 05:57 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
Didn't the car first belong to your wife and that is what she wanted. (LOL) From looking at other posts-AT seems to have more problems than MT-
Good memory! You're right, but.... we both drove manuals (and continued to with the Z4, then the WRX as third cars) for many years, but a move changed both of our commutes from about 25 miles a day to 140. We decided she'd go on a plan which would replace her car every 3 years and 90K-100K miles (I work two days a week, so at the time I was doing allot less miles). It seemed prudent to us to make two changes. One was to get out of Audi's and into something Japanese (we always liked Audi's and still do, but they're a warranty car and we were going to be doing too many miles to continue to make them an option), the other was to go to an automatic (for traffic, perceived durability and resale purposes). I won't go into details, but as sometimes happens in life, that plan has been modified and I'm in the 05 TSX. You may be right about which transmission is more troublesome. And sorry for being a little flip; I couldn't resist. But.... the 6 speed guys always seem to assume that the choice at purchase is black or white: Auto or MT (or so it often seems). Again, as in many things in life, that decision is often more complicated than that. Sometimes we do what we have to not what we'd like to or want to (and sorry if this post sound too much like a "lessons in life" sermon). Hope you make out with your car.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:49 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by Simba91102
Good memory! You're right, but.... we both drove manuals (and continued to with the Z4, then the WRX as third cars) for many years, but a move changed both of our commutes from about 25 miles a day to 140. We decided she'd go on a plan which would replace her car every 3 years and 90K-100K miles (I work two days a week, so at the time I was doing allot less miles). It seemed prudent to us to make two changes. One was to get out of Audi's and into something Japanese (we always liked Audi's and still do, but they're a warranty car and we were going to be doing too many miles to continue to make them an option), the other was to go to an automatic (for traffic, perceived durability and resale purposes). I won't go into details, but as sometimes happens in life, that plan has been modified and I'm in the 05 TSX. You may be right about which transmission is more troublesome. And sorry for being a little flip; I couldn't resist. But.... the 6 speed guys always seem to assume that the choice at purchase is black or white: Auto or MT (or so it often seems). Again, as in many things in life, that decision is often more complicated than that. Sometimes we do what we have to not what we'd like to or want to (and sorry if this post sound too much like a "lessons in life" sermon). Hope you make out with your car.
We can relate to long commutes-my husband drove 200+ miles a day to and from work for about 3 years when we lived in NJ. We then moved closer to his job. We do not have to deal with that much traffic or stop and go traffic-if we did-we probably would get automatic. Our commute now is driving from NC to NJ and back every few weeks. My mom is fighting a battle against cancer so we want to spend as much time as possible with her. I have an appointment with my favorite acura dealer for next Monday to get the MT and brake fluids changed along with whatever else they recommend. I got to choose what loaner car I wanted to keep overnight. I chose a TL with nav.
My parents owned a audi that spent more time at the dealer than with them. (one problem after another) They switched to hondas

Last edited by nj2pa2nc; 04-03-2010 at 07:51 AM.