2004 TSX Navigation Issue Alpine DVD Drive

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 08:50 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2004 TSX Navigation Issue Alpine DVD Drive

Hello,

Today when I started the car I noticed the navigation no longer comes up. I get the Acura Navigation Screen with the earth on it, the next screen with the orange text with the warnings and then the "OK" button appears but I can't press it on the screen nor use the joystick. It then times out as it would if you don't press "ok" only the screen stays backlit instead of turning off as it usually would if you don't press "ok". I can't access the AUX, CD player or any of the on screen controls, nor through any of the buttons for those functions. However, the radio works through the regular buttons as does the climate control on auto.

After doing a lot of research it seems there is likely an issue with my Alpine DVD drive. I ejected the disc and put it back in and no luck. The disc is not scratched at all. It looks flawless so not an issue there. After seeing it was about $370 to have the drive sent out and refurbed by Alpine vs. buying a replacement from another car from a parts dealer on ebay for $199 I opted for that option first. I've already replaced a blown audio amp this way successfully. I picked one that is 100% money back in case it isn't the issue.

My question is when I get the new DVD drive and swap it out is there a different unlock code I'll need or will my existing code work? My radio currenty works and I don't recall if the code is stored in the head unit or on the DVD drive and if there is a seperate code for the radio and navi or just one. I see a radio code and a serial number in my records. I had the head unit replaced in year 1 of owning the car as it failed and I got a new code then. DVD drive was never changed to my knowledge at that time and based on the October 2003 date on it further makes me think it is original and that the code is stored in the actual head unit. I figure someone here will know.

Last edited by illinimatt81; 10-06-2019 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:27 AM
Instructor

Coming back to update in case anyone else finds this later. The DVD drive does in fact have it's own 4 digit unlock code that is seperate from the 5 digit radio code. I decided I will try the drive that I bought and see if I can get the code. If not, I'll return for a refund and already contacted Alpine to get the details for the repair.

They are currently quoting 3 business days once received and $358.

Just an annoyance, but the rest of my car is solid and in great shape. This is exactly why I don't want anything new - more electronics to fail!
Old 10-10-2019, 09:58 PM
Instructor

Another follow up, DVD drive I bought didn't work. Decided to look into aftermarket units and low and behold there is a great solution made specifically for our cars and under $400. Google and you'll find it. Blessing in disguise to have the factory nav die.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:35 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by illinimatt81
Another follow up, DVD drive I bought didn't work. Decided to look into aftermarket units and low and behold there is a great solution made specifically for our cars and under $400. Google and you'll find it. Blessing in disguise to have the factory nav die.
Can you post the link? Or you can PM me, thanks!