2004 TSX A/C Problem (go figure)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 01:53 PM
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2004 TSX A/C Problem (go figure)

Let me preface by saying that I've done a lot of reading up on the multitude of A/C issues that have plagued this car, as well as a lot of different solutions to the problem. I've also had the A/C break once before, and I was able to fix it by simply replacing the relay. This time, unfortunately, my problem seems a bit more complicated.

My A/C stopped working suddenly this time; the fans are working, but unfortunately it's not blowing cold. The compressor clutch is not engaging.

I plan to jumper the compressor clutch pins to try and pinpoint my issue (pressure / temp switches vs. clutch coil), but before doing so, my concern is on the low-side pressure. Using the gauge from an old A/C refill kit that I had laying around, the low-side pressure appears to be about 90 PSI (without the compressor running, since the compressor doesn't currently run). I've read a lot of conflicting information here, though most seems to agree that it should be in the 30 PSI range. Should I be concerned with this high pressure, or is it simply an effect of my issue? Does this point to any particular problems?
Old 07-15-2016, 10:30 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If the compressor isn't running the low side will be higher than normal and the high side will be lower than normal - really in theory they should be the same pressure since the high side only becomes the high side when the compressor is running.
I say you troubleshoot the compressor issue, see if you can determine what is causing that to act up, then check pressures once you know it's working.
That will tell you if there is a blockage or if its low on R-134a, etc.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:13 PM
9th Gear

Thanks, Tangoman. I'm planning to do the troubleshooting today. I know that I need to jump 12VDC to the compressor clutch, but even after a lot of reading, I'm not 100% sure how to do that. I've pulled the connector, which has three pins, so let's say in my left hand, I have the male connector that ties back to the battery, and in my right hand I have the female connector that is attached to the compressor clutch. Now what? I assume I need to direct connect one of the pins in the male terminal to one in the female? When I hear 'jumper', it sounds like I'd just be connecting two of the female pins to one another, but how would the clutch then get power? Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I'm confused...and help for my small mind would be appreciated!
Old 07-17-2016, 03:53 PM
9th Gear

I can't figure out how to edit threads on here...

In any case, I went ahead and tested the male connector (running back to the battery) and saw about 12.5V across the outer pins (presumably 1 and 3). I've attached a photo here to hopefully help clarify (I tested the male connector in the lower left-hand corner of this photo, circled in red):

I don't have a wiring diagram; what does this rule out (if anything)? From reading this post (http://https://acurazine.com/forums/...unique-871162/), it appears that there is a thermal protector downstream of this (item 4 in the diagram below, the connector for which is the one circled in yellow above), mounted directly to the compressor, but I don't see any other connectors. It's tough to see down in there, but it looks to be direct-wired to the compressor, and I don't know how I could test it without some serious disassembly. Thoughts?