2004 TSX AC compressor noisy but press clutch in and it goes away

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 10:00 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 TSX AC compressor noisy but press clutch in and it goes away

I have a 2004 Acura TSX and figure I might be plagued with the first year TSX ac issues. I’ve had black death before on an RSX and that was a nightmare to clean and clear up, so I’m trying to get ahead of this issue..

I purchased the car a year ago and always noticed the sound the AC makes but it has always blown cold. It makes somewhat of a clunking, clicking, rattling sound I guess is the way I should describe it. What is super bizarre is the sound goes away when I press the clutch in (I have a 6-speed manual). The car is super quiet when the AC is off…turn the AC on and you get the sound, turn it off or push in the clutch and the car is really quiet. I am super confused…

Should I try and troubleshoot what is going on or just get ahead of the issue and install a new AC compressor? Since I’m super confused about the issue I don’t know where to start. I live in Phoenix and it’s been 110 here I want to nip this in the butt before it takes a shit. Any help or advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 06-07-2017, 02:16 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Are you sure sound is from Ac compressor? Suggest using a long rod or screwdriver to pinpoint noise origin (very carefully!). Serpentine belt tensioner or other component could be source.

If your compressor is source of noise it may be a bad compressor clutch idler bearing. It can be replaced but is a job to remove clutch.

good luck
Old 06-07-2017, 11:22 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Are you sure sound is from Ac compressor? Suggest using a long rod or screwdriver to pinpoint noise origin (very carefully!). Serpentine belt tensioner or other component could be source.

If your compressor is source of noise it may be a bad compressor clutch idler bearing. It can be replaced but is a job to remove clutch.

good luck
It is definitely coming from the AC compressor...well i guess in that general area. The car is super quiet with the AC off but once i turn the AC on it starts clunking. When the AC is off my clutch doesn't make noise engaged or disengaged, but when i turn the AC on and press in my clutch the noise goes away...

I guess i'll have to jack her up, take some pieces off and see if i can locate where the noise might be coming from. Pretty damn sure it's the compressor though so I guess i'll look for wobbling and so on...