20,000 miles and 2 sets of rotors

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005 | 06:49 PM
Advanced

20,000 miles and 2 sets of rotors

I just got my car back from service and at 20,000 miles Acura replaced the rotors and pads for the 2nd time. They were also replaced at 10,000 miles. And before anyone says I work the brakes too hard, I am a very soft driver I do not brake hard. Has anyone else had the issue with the rotors warping?
Old 02-25-2005 | 06:54 PM
Team Owner

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19175

See that thread. Lots of good info.
Old 02-26-2005 | 01:00 PM
Drifting

i've accumalated close to 30k on the car with no issues with the brake system till now, the pads are starting to squeal so monday i'm gonna change them all...will let you know if i need to have the rotors resurfaced...i'm coming up on 1yr with the car....so far so good with all other aspects of the car
Old 02-26-2005 | 10:39 PM
Moderator Alumnus

96,000 miles here, still on original brakes, and still doing thier stuff just fine.
Old 02-27-2005 | 12:51 AM
Intermediate

Wink

Originally Posted by ncsu-tc
I just got my car back from service and at 20,000 miles Acura replaced the rotors and pads for the 2nd time. They were also replaced at 10,000 miles. And before anyone says I work the brakes too hard, I am a very soft driver I do not brake hard. Has anyone else had the issue with the rotors warping?
Take a look at this thread and how I solved my brake problems...
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...3&page=2&pp=25
Good luck, jprovostla
Old 02-27-2005 | 02:18 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ncsu-tc
I believe domn has gone through two sets of rotors.

But then, he takes his turns at 53mph.
Old 02-27-2005 | 08:07 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jlukja
I believe domn has gone through two sets of rotors.

But then, he takes his turns at 53mph.

Yes...I am currently going throught the same thing...the car is one year old, 35K miles, and mechanics are telling me rotors are warped.

When Acura replaced your rotors, was it covered under their warranty? or did you have to pay extra?
Old 02-27-2005 | 08:36 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SeeVuPlay
Yes...I am currently going throught the same thing...the car is one year old, 35K miles, and mechanics are telling me rotors are warped.

When Acura replaced your rotors, was it covered under their warranty? or did you have to pay extra?

WARRANTY - I would fight it if they tried to I would fight it.
Old 02-27-2005 | 11:47 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the advice! I'll try to. I have an appointment this coming Tuesday.
Old 02-28-2005 | 05:27 PM
Drifting

well, finally had a chance to take a look at the pads in the back, they are ready to be replaced as for the front pads, they look fine, matter of fact, they look way more better than the rear pads...anyone else run into this?

went to the dealership to get them to resurface/turn my rear rotors..and now my brakes feel solid!!!

I expect around 20-30K miles outta mine considering my driving habits,
Old 02-28-2005 | 11:39 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Yup, my hind pads show slightly more wear than the front ones. I figure it must be because the friction surface of the pads on the back wheels is smaller in proportion to the brake load compared to the front.

I might be wrong, as it's a very simple explanation.
Old 03-01-2005 | 08:28 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

61,000kms (38,000miles) and I'm on my 3rd set of rotors.
Old 03-01-2005 | 08:36 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by domn
61,000kms (38,000miles) and I'm on my 3rd set of rotors.
How's this one doing?
Old 03-01-2005 | 08:37 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sauceman
Yup, my hind pads show slightly more wear than the front ones. I figure it must be because the friction surface of the pads on the back wheels is smaller in proportion to the brake load compared to the front.

I might be wrong, as it's a very simple explanation.
Just had my rear brake pads changed while my fronts still are at roughly 30%. The rear pads seem to wear much quicker than the fronts on this car...
Old 03-01-2005 | 08:41 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

How's this one doing?

The problem is noticeable when braking from 120+ although it is somewhat noticeable when braking from lower speeds as well. So far it seems fine at lower speeds and I havn't had a chance to brake hard from higher speeds in a while due to the weather. As soon as its safe I'll test them out.

If they are warped of ruined again, I really have to take some sort of action. Just not sure what?
Old 03-01-2005 | 08:42 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Just had my rear brake pads changed while my fronts still are at roughly 30%. The rear pads seem to wear much quicker than the fronts on this car...

Ya, I had mione replaced at ~55K as well. The fronts were still fine.
Old 03-01-2005 | 08:54 AM
Moderator Alumnus

The problem is noticeable when braking from 120+ although it is somewhat noticeable when braking from lower speeds as well. So far it seems fine at lower speeds and I havn't had a chance to brake hard from higher speeds in a while due to the weather. As soon as its safe I'll test them out.

If they are warped of ruined again, I really have to take some sort of action. Just not sure what?
Lemon Law. Although it may be a stretch. But it is a dangerous situation, and it has been attempted to repair unsuccessfully thrice.

Get an attorney, and accumulate all the data you possibly can.
Old 03-01-2005 | 09:03 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Lemon Law. Although it may be a stretch. But it is a dangerous situation, and it has been attempted to repair unsuccessfully thrice.

Get an attorney, and accumulate all the data you possibly can.

Maybe I can get a PWP 6MT 05 out of this

Seriously though. If the car continues to ruin rotors and the problem can't be solved could that be a lemon law case? and do I absolutely need a lawyer?
Old 03-01-2005 | 09:19 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Maybe I can get a PWP 6MT 05 out of this

Seriously though. If the car continues to ruin rotors and the problem can't be solved could that be a lemon law case? and do I absolutely need a lawyer?
Lawyer, most definitely. But you do have a 40,000$ cause. And the lawyer could tell you pretty quickly if you had a case or not.

On the other hand, the rotors being a wear & tear item, it could be argued on Honda's side that you were using them improperly.
Old 03-01-2005 | 09:21 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

I'll need to do some research into this. Canadian Lemon laws that is.
Old 03-02-2005 | 12:06 AM
Intermediate

Cool

I'll need to do some research into this. Canadian Lemon laws that is.
Your rotors are not warped... it's the OEM pads that are depositing material on the rotors, specially when you heat them up [braking from 120+km/hr] and staying on the brakes at a stop sign or red light... the you feel a pulsing sensation in the brake pedal and you [or the mechanic] assume that the rotors are warped...
Just put on more abrasive pads [i.e. higher coefficient of friction] which wil brake better [more bite] and will clean up your rotors [no need to resurface them]...
I can personally recommend AXXIX Ultimate pads, which I use on my TSX...
Also I hear good things about Hawk HPS pads and there are several more out there...
Old 03-02-2005 | 07:27 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jprovostla
Your rotors are not warped... it's the OEM pads that are depositing material on the rotors, specially when you heat them up [braking from 120+km/hr] and staying on the brakes at a stop sign or red light... the you feel a pulsing sensation in the brake pedal and you [or the mechanic] assume that the rotors are warped...
Just put on more abrasive pads [i.e. higher coefficient of friction] which wil brake better [more bite] and will clean up your rotors [no need to resurface them]...
Also I hear good things about Hawk HPS pads and there are several more out there...

I agree, sauceman had a huge write up about this awhile back expalining how its pratically impossible to physically warp rotors. For lack of a better term, I used the word warped when describing my problem.

When I do have to change pads, I'll be sure to go aftermarket. But I still wonder why the dealer hasn't figured this out yet?
Old 03-06-2005 | 11:38 AM
Instructor

Where can you get these pads? Advance auto parts? Napa? NTB? Pep Boys? or are they special order items.

I took mine to Acura in Charlotte, and they wanted to charge me 160 bucks to resurface them....they said the cause of the warped rotors was due to drivers poor breaking habits.

I have not had this problem with my corolla or my celica.

oh, I didnt get my rotors resurfaced because NTB will do it for 80 bucks....but it sounds like i may just need to change out the brake pads.
Old 03-06-2005 | 12:51 PM
Intermediate

Talking

I brought my car into my dealership (Sunnyside Acura of NH) last November before storing it for winter. I had them check out/fix a multitude of problems to include brakes that screech & squeel at low speeds, especially when cold. My car had about 7,500 miles when the problem started and about 10k miles when I finally brought it in to Sunnyside.

Mind you, I live in northern Maine where my closest Acura dealer in the USA is about 6 hours away... so I have to acumulate problems before it's worth my time to get them fixed.

Sunnyside had my car two entire work days... they replaced my driver's headlamp for condensation, fixed rattles in my driver and passenger door, tightened bolts in my steering column to elininate a buzzing rattle noise, replaced my driver door window motor for an intermittent squeeling noise, and turned all my rotors to fix the brake squeel. They also wanted to replace the pads, however they weren't able to get them... the told me the warehouse showed them in stock, but the computer would not allow them to order... they even called to get an override, but Honda wouldn't let them. The service manager said he has never seen anything like it - not being able to get brake pads when they are available. His guess was the perhaps Honda was improving the pads because of the problems they were having and basically recalled the old units.

So I left NH for my drive back to ME with quiet brakes that started screech again before I even made it home. I am supposed to bring my TSX back after winter is passed to get my rotors replaced and new pads.

By this time, I am already eyeballing an '05 TSX just to see if they have improved and to get the added creature comforts and integrated XM Radio.

Sorry for such a long speech, but that's my story.
Old 03-06-2005 | 02:13 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SeeVuPlay
Where can you get these pads? Advance auto parts? Napa? NTB? Pep Boys? or are they special order items.
I took mine to Acura in Charlotte, and they wanted to charge me 160 bucks to resurface them....they said the cause of the warped rotors was due to drivers poor breaking habits.
I have not had this problem with my corolla or my celica.
oh, I didnt get my rotors resurfaced because NTB will do it for 80 bucks....but it sounds like i may just need to change out the brake pads.
You can get them from Ebay on the internet: look for "tsx axxis ultimate"... they're $95 + S&H for all 4 corners... or call Irotors directly tool free at (888) 8 ROTORS...
I got mine from Cobalt Friction in FL at 954-828-1515 for $150...

$160 to resurface your rotors... what BS??? they have a design problem with the pads and can't admit it or they'd get sued or they'd have to do a recall... they're just protecting their asses...
Just install the Axxis Ultimates properly [keep the OEM shims on and use brake grease/goo to eliminate noise] and you won't believe the result... you don't need to resurface them... the ultimates are more abrasive and will clean your rotors...
Good luck
Old 03-06-2005 | 04:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

You can get them from Ebay on the internet: look for "tsx axxis ultimate"... they're $95 + S&H for all 4 corners... or call Irotors directly tool free at (888) 8 ROTORS...

$160 to resurface your rotors... what BS??? they have a design problem with the pads and can't admit it or they'd get sued or they'd have to do a recall... they're just protecting their asses...
Just install the Axxis Ultimates properly [keep the OEM shims on and use brake grease/goo to eliminate noise] and you won't believe the result... you don't need to resurface them... the ultimates are more abrasive and will clean your rotors...
Good luck
It's always recommended to resurface your rotors prior to installing a new set of pads. This is to let your pads settle in to it's optimum performance. This, no matter what grade of pad you're using.

That being said, I too have had a very positive experience with Axxis pads in the past.
Old 03-06-2005 | 07:12 PM
Instructor

Good luck
Yeah, I figured as much....I knew they wouldnt bend at all. Thanks for the help. I will look on ebay first and see what I can get!