At 1000 Miles Acura had to take my engine apart!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 10:56 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At 1000 Miles Acura had to take my engine apart!

I am hoping to get your opinions on my situation. As I drove off the lot I noticed (they parked the car a convenient 20 feet from the driveway I noticed a clicking sound in the engine. I took it back and they said it needs "premium" gas. Clicking continued through almost 1000 miles so I took it back. Now 3 weeks later they are tearing my engine apart to put in a new rod and cylinder. I feel like there should have been some kind of quality assurance and like I got a lemon (though not by law). So now I have a new car that has already been torn apart. So my question is... Is my car still going to be like new? Or when you tear an engine apart does it affect it in the long term?

Thanks for the advice...
Old 09-19-2006, 11:13 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Doubt it'll have an ill effect in the long-term. And even the most well controlled QA process will always have a couple of lemons that just happen to slip through the cracks.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:15 AM
Unauthorized User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah you might have a case, contact Acura HQ and start asking some questions.
At least they should upgrade your existing Warranty to 100k if you haven't gotten it.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:17 AM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree with Vega. Ask for an extended powertrain warranty for your own peace of mind.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:31 AM
Instructor

Honestly, I do not think the car will ever be the same. I would demand them give you a new one. Will the car be in the shop for more than 30 days? If so it's a lemon in most states. Regardless you’re going to have to fight them on this one but that's a car I wouldn't want. JMHO

Contact your local BBB and talk to someone in the Autoline department.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:36 AM
Banned

reminds me of my tranny getting replaced
Old 09-19-2006, 12:42 PM
Got Phó?

Originally Posted by 26Shaun
I agree with Vega. Ask for an extended powertrain warranty for your own peace of mind.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:03 PM
Burning Brakes

^^ +1
Old 09-19-2006, 01:25 PM
Pro

^^ +2
Old 09-19-2006, 02:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Acura seems to fix things right in my area, not too sure about yours. If it don't feel right, should ask for extended warranty.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:36 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeys'TSX
Honestly, I do not think the car will ever be the same. I would demand them give you a new one. Will the car be in the shop for more than 30 days? If so it's a lemon in most states. Regardless you’re going to have to fight them on this one but that's a car I wouldn't want. JMHO

Contact your local BBB and talk to someone in the Autoline department.
Disagree on all counts.

#1: It can and likely will be 100% like new. I had a new short block (engine block + all internals) replaced and it drives better than ever before, and no problems at all.

#2: Why a NEW car? They fixed the problem, under warranty, as they are to do with anyone. Even asking for a new engine only, wouldn't be fair to the company (I know, I know... "they have all kinds of money and the consumer has to hurt... blah blah blah". Truth is, they have fixed the problem (assuming here), and that's all one can REASONABLY expect).

#3: It would only take probably 8 to 12 hours of straight shop time, TOPS, to change a piston and rod. Not 30 DAYS. You're going overboard here. It only took them 4 shop-days to initially rebuild my engine, which is a LOT more involved than changing a single piston and rod. Too bad in my case that rebuilding the engine didn't solve the problem as it was likely the block that was out of spec to begin with.

#4: BBB will look at this and say "well, they made good on their warranty and the car is running fine (again, assuming), so there's nothing to complain about".

Every manufacturer has defects. Just some more than others. So to hear that Honda/Acura has an engine problem with one or a handful of cars is big news, as it doesn't often happen to them. But, look at the literally thousands of GM engines that are getting recalled years later because GM cheaped out on a $1.00 gasket to begin with -- that won't happen at Honda probably in your lifetime.

EDIT:
Forgot to add -- I think an extended powertrain warranty to 85 or 90K miles would be more than sufficient. If there were ANY problems with a fix of this nature, they'd appear almost immediately, not 84,000 miles later. So, extended warranty of any length is better than the status quo in this case.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by curls
Disagree on all counts.

#1: It can and likely will be 100% like new. I had a new short block (engine block + all internals) replaced and it drives better than ever before, and no problems at all.

#2: Why a NEW car? They fixed the problem, under warranty, as they are to do with anyone. Even asking for a new engine only, wouldn't be fair to the company (I know, I know... "they have all kinds of money and the consumer has to hurt... blah blah blah". Truth is, they have fixed the problem (assuming here), and that's all one can REASONABLY expect).

#3: It would only take probably 8 to 12 hours of straight shop time, TOPS, to change a piston and rod. Not 30 DAYS. You're going overboard here. It only took them 4 shop-days to initially rebuild my engine, which is a LOT more involved than changing a single piston and rod. Too bad in my case that rebuilding the engine didn't solve the problem as it was likely the block that was out of spec to begin with.

#4: BBB will look at this and say "well, they made good on their warranty and the car is running fine (again, assuming), so there's nothing to complain about".

Every manufacturer has defects. Just some more than others. So to hear that Honda/Acura has an engine problem with one or a handful of cars is big news, as it doesn't often happen to them. But, look at the literally thousands of GM engines that are getting recalled years later because GM cheaped out on a $1.00 gasket to begin with -- that won't happen at Honda probably in your lifetime.

EDIT:
Forgot to add -- I think an extended powertrain warranty to 85 or 90K miles would be more than sufficient. If there were ANY problems with a fix of this nature, they'd appear almost immediately, not 84,000 miles later. So, extended warranty of any length is better than the status quo in this case.
I know a lot more than I wish I did about lemon laws.

I didn't say it would take 30 days...I asked…. so I didn't go overboard. I had an oil light that took 65 days to fix (not an Acura) so nothings impossible. Trust me on this one...if you call customer service and ask for an extended warranty THEY WILL NOT GIVE IT TO YOU. You will have to fight them for it. This is were the BBB will come in. Make sure you keep EVERY receipt...this will be extremely important if you have more problems down the road.

Your car will not be the exact same…sorry. I’m not saying you will have more problems out of it but it will not be the exact same. That why I would demand another car.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:37 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Joeys'TSX
I know a lot more than I wish I did about lemon laws.

I didn't say it would take 30 days...I asked…. so I didn't go overboard. I had an oil light that took 65 days to fix (not an Acura) so nothings impossible. Trust me on this one...if you call customer service and ask for an extended warranty THEY WILL NOT GIVE IT TO YOU. You will have to fight them for it. This is were the BBB will come in. Make sure you keep EVERY receipt...this will be extremely important if you have more problems down the road.

Your car will not be the exact same…sorry. I’m not saying you will have more problems out of it but it will not be the exact same. That why I would demand another car.
The funny thing is it took them 25 days to fix... It sucks I know and I feel like they should have known something was wrong with the car. I still would have bought a TSX, it just stinks this happened so soon.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:41 PM
Is waiting in

hmm what would it take for Acura to replace my motor, transmission and drivetrain?
Old 09-19-2006, 09:22 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by surferdude
So my question is... Is my car still going to be like new?
Well, new, it was broken. So if they fixed it, then it's better than new. No?
Old 09-19-2006, 09:36 PM
Time to Climb

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
uhm, you have been putting in 93 octane haven't you? if not, your warranty issues might be a moot point ... good luck
Old 09-20-2006, 08:31 AM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Seems like they would simply replace the engine instead of rebuilding it.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:15 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by surferdude
The funny thing is it took them 25 days to fix... It sucks I know and I feel like they should have known something was wrong with the car. I still would have bought a TSX, it just stinks this happened so soon.
Keep all the paperwork. If something else happens and they keep your car 5 more day for the same problem they will have to replace or repurchase your car under your states lemon law.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:46 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by godfather2
uhm, you have been putting in 93 octane haven't you? if not, your warranty issues might be a moot point ... good luck
Ah, that's 91 octane, otherwise most of us are in trouble.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:55 PM
04 remembrance

If I were you, I'd ask them to extend your standard warranty to 7yrs/100,000miles. You really have to be careful when they rebuild either the engine or the tranny, because if the mechanics neglect the smallest thing, the whole component will need to be replaced or repaired.

My transmission was rebuilt, only to be rebuilt after couple hundred miles. The service manager told me that my case was an "isolated" issue, but I'm pretty sure it was because the first repair didn't go as planned.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:23 PM
Burning Brakes

did u run 87 ????
Old 09-23-2006, 01:08 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
The maunal clearly states that you can safely run lower than 91 octane at a reduced engine performance. So even if he did put lower than 91 octane, the warranty issue is NOT a moot point. The TSX is designed to retard the timing to elimate knocking, not like previous cars.