'04 Air Conditioner broken

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009 | 03:41 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by PACman
Don't know. It would make sense if Honda changed manufacturers, they would also change the part number.

Here's the thing, from knakane DIY thread (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-problems-fixes-128/diy-air-conditioning-change-04-a-679144/), the weakest link was the shaft connecting the compressor to the A/C clutch set. BTW, we share the same compressor with the CR-V (last gen).

The refrigerant also lubricates the insides of the compressor, and our manual advises at least running the A/C for 10mins once a week, even in colder weather (turn up the temp while the A/C is on).
yep. i always adhere to the "use it or lose it" concept. them parts are engineered for usage. if it gets too little or too much, it'll break either way.

if i were to buy a used tsx or any car for that matter, i'd like to know that the previous owner used the full capabilities of the car every now and then (but not abused!). wouldn't want something like i-vtec not working ya' know...
Old 03-30-2009 | 01:35 PM
Pro

Don't know. It would make sense if Honda changed manufacturers, they would also change the part number.

Here's the thing, from knakane DIY thread (https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=679144), the weakest link was the shaft connecting the compressor to the A/C clutch set. BTW, we share the same compressor with the CR-V (last gen).

The refrigerant also lubricates the insides of the compressor, and our manual advises at least running the A/C for 10mins once a week, even in colder weather (turn up the temp while the A/C is on).
03 04 CRV owners are also reporting the same issue.
Old 03-31-2009 | 05:38 PM
Pro

gogozy:

You mentioned 03 and 04 CRV owners are also reporting the same issue. What about 2005 and later CRV owners?
Old 04-01-2009 | 11:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Miamicarfan
gogozy:

You mentioned 03 and 04 CRV owners are also reporting the same issue. What about 2005 and later CRV owners?
I posted a link earlier in this thread somewhere about CRV owners having this problem. Go to topix.com or google it - the link was to a bunch of owners talking about it on topix.com.
Old 04-02-2009 | 02:50 AM
Advanced

Guys and what happens after dealing with this issue once and installing new hardware? Did it happen one more time to someone who already dealt with it?
Old 04-02-2009 | 12:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Yes, some people have had it more than once, unfortunately.
Old 04-02-2009 | 12:38 PM
Advanced

bad news... so i suppose that it'd be better for me to buy an insurance that'd cover all the losses... Cause I don't wanna pay that huge amount of cash if the AC problem takes place... =/
Old 04-02-2009 | 12:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Do you already have a 2004? If you are looking to buy, get a 2005 or newer because 2004s are the ones with this problem. I don't think you can buy any extended warranties after the car is 4 years old, so you are out of luck if you already have a 2004.
Old 04-02-2009 | 03:49 PM
Advanced

I almost have it =) Already payed for it, just waiting till my car is delivered to my country at last! )) ( I live in Europe, Belarus)
We have some insurance plans here that cover all the expenses if something happens with the car accidentaly (ex. windshield broken, paint scratched or AC exploded, any of possible variants =)
Though I already have some things that are needed to be taken care of: the trunk hatch and front left... dunno how it's called in english, we call it "wing" ))) are damaged a bit =)
Old 04-04-2009 | 08:30 PM
1st Gear

Up north, I am using the AC only 4 months per year. Never leave it in AUTO but always keep the fan ON, I think it extents the AC life. In city I use the sunroof most of the time.
If the AC does not produce cool air d'ont wait to have it checked, condenser may leak, humidity will eventually get inside the system and if you wait until the summer lilke I did, in bonus, it will cost you a compressor!!
Old 04-05-2009 | 10:22 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by gavinn58
Isn't the factory end-to-end warranty on all Acuras 4yrs/50K miles? You shouldn't have needed the extended warranty yet with only 36k.
Old 04-06-2009 | 01:31 PM
9th Gear

04 TSX AC Broken

04 TSX - 80K miles..Another problem to add to the list:

- Brakes shimmy - replaced Rotors (r1) and pads (hawks) - other than the dust...no more shimmy.
- Door Lock actuator (drivers side) - replaced by Dealer (I think I was at about 60K miles when this happened)
- Transmission - replaced by Dealer (75K miles). - Was extremely fortunate - No cost to me.

Now the AC Compressor. Driving for a bit..turned on the AC, and nothin' but hot air. Took it to dealer this am..and currently waiting for a call back. (Mechanic' friend looked and from what he saw the compressor/clutch was not spinning). After reading these posts..looks like I may have to see if I could get the "Goodwill Assistance" for this fix...
Old 04-06-2009 | 06:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by KC_2004TSX
04 TSX - 80K miles..Another problem to add to the list:

- Brakes shimmy - replaced Rotors (r1) and pads (hawks) - other than the dust...no more shimmy.
- Door Lock actuator (drivers side) - replaced by Dealer (I think I was at about 60K miles when this happened)
- Transmission - replaced by Dealer (75K miles). - Was extremely fortunate - No cost to me.

Now the AC Compressor. Driving for a bit..turned on the AC, and nothin' but hot air. Took it to dealer this am..and currently waiting for a call back. (Mechanic' friend looked and from what he saw the compressor/clutch was not spinning). After reading these posts..looks like I may have to see if I could get the "Goodwill Assistance" for this fix...
Good luck with your repairs. Another one bites the dust.
Old 04-13-2009 | 10:59 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Good luck with your repairs. Another one bites the dust.
Thanks.

Just a quick update. Dropped off my car this a.m. Got a 50/50 deal with Acura - AC Unit replacement approx. $2000 out of pocket..better than nuthin'! Might have paid for the whole thing .. but thanks to all the info..just paying for half.
Old 04-13-2009 | 12:50 PM
Senior Moderator

That's great. But still, $2000 is a lot of money to fork over. Hopefully it doesn't happen to you again.

Also, try to post your invoice in this thread so we can keep track.
https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-problems-fixes-128/c-repair-invoices-post-them-up-679124/#post9854676
Old 04-13-2009 | 04:26 PM
Pro

KC_2004TSX:

Why did you need to change transmission at 75K?

Is this an auto or manual?

Did the transmission have shifting problems or was it one of those transmissions on the 2004s where there was a problem with the serial numbers of the transmission but the transmission did not have a problem shifting?
Old 04-13-2009 | 06:24 PM
9th Gear

Thanks for the link. I'll post the inv. once available. Looks like I'll be stuck driving an 09 TSX around for a week. (Parts should be coming in on Wed., car should be ready by Thur or Fri).

- Automatic
Had shifting problems. Was driving around my neighborhood, and the car just downshifted back..from what the dealer said..it's was stuck in 2nd gear. They (dealer) changed the Tranny oil a couple of days before this happened..not sure if it's connected somehow.
Old 04-15-2009 | 09:02 PM
9th Gear

Last update (hopefully)

Just picked it up. Total cost out of pocket $1960.00. As mentioned previously, 50/50 split between Acura and myself. Good luck to all with your dealings with Acura.

From the invoice:
"A/C Compressor seized and has metal contamination. Recommended A/C Compressor/Condensor/Evaporator and lines and hoses....due to debris stuck on the charging ports"

LuvMyTSX - Any other way of posting the invoice w/out an image account?
Old 04-16-2009 | 07:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by KC_2004TSX
Last update (hopefully)

Just picked it up. Total cost out of pocket $1960.00. As mentioned previously, 50/50 split between Acura and myself. Good luck to all with your dealings with Acura.

From the invoice:
"A/C Compressor seized and has metal contamination. Recommended A/C Compressor/Condensor/Evaporator and lines and hoses....due to debris stuck on the charging ports"

LuvMyTSX - Any other way of posting the invoice w/out an image account?
You can try PMing moda_way. He's posted some for other people.
Old 04-20-2009 | 03:35 PM
Instructor

I posted in here somewhere last week about my A/C biting the big one. After flatbedding the car to the dealer, I immediately contacted Acura. The end result was that the initial total rebuild cost of $2600 was reduced to just $1089 (including local sales tax), even though the car has ~75k miles on it. While I am not pleased with the known mechanical problem that just cost me a grand, I have to say that the dealer and Acura treated me very well.
Old 04-20-2009 | 03:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Glad you had a decent outcome. I wouldn't be happy about fixing the A/C for a grand either, but it's definitely better than $2600. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.
Old 04-20-2009 | 04:17 PM
Pro

i am thinking of taking my 04 tsx to dealer for an ac test every year from now on... cheap insurance?
Old 04-20-2009 | 06:45 PM
n00b

I posted here about 1.5 months ago about my A/C could possibly have some problems. Well, it's 104 degrees here in SoCal today. I went out to lunch with the A/C turned on. When I came to a complete stop (for traffic light), the A/C was blowing hot air. There was no clunking noise whatsoever. So just a precaution, I took the car to the dealer after lunch. I received a call about 30 minutes ago saying that the coil and the clutch have failed. The good thing is that the compressor is still good. So they're going to replace the coil and the clutch set, and recharge the freon. They quoted me about $850 for parts and labor.
Old 04-20-2009 | 06:52 PM
n00b

Damn...I spoke too soon. While they're trying to remove the coil from the compressor, they said that somehow it's fused into the compressor, and they can't get it out. So I guess the compressor will be replaced. That's gonna bring the total repair cost to about $1350.
Old 04-21-2009 | 12:52 AM
wine em, dine em, cl9 em

Originally Posted by vwong
I posted here about 1.5 months ago about my A/C could possibly have some problems. Well, it's 104 degrees here in SoCal today. I went out to lunch with the A/C turned on. When I came to a complete stop (for traffic light), the A/C was blowing hot air. There was no clunking noise whatsoever. So just a precaution, I took the car to the dealer after lunch. I received a call about 30 minutes ago saying that the coil and the clutch have failed. The good thing is that the compressor is still good. So they're going to replace the coil and the clutch set, and recharge the freon. They quoted me about $850 for parts and labor.
dood wtf... almost the same happened to me today! however, i had it replaced once already under the extended warranty (about 20k mi or so ago) and the same three components were replaced. i am now at 87k, and i have an appointment on wed to inspect the problem. good thing my ext warranty is to 100k mi LOL.

so the AC issue has struck me twice haha! wish me luck! i was PO'd too... first hot ass day in cali....
Old 04-21-2009 | 01:51 AM
Unregistered User

^ Awww.... sorry to hear about that, Clint. Hope everything works out for u
Old 04-21-2009 | 11:33 AM
n00b

Originally Posted by clintoris diggler
dood wtf... almost the same happened to me today! however, i had it replaced once already under the extended warranty (about 20k mi or so ago) and the same three components were replaced. i am now at 87k, and i have an appointment on wed to inspect the problem. good thing my ext warranty is to 100k mi LOL.

so the AC issue has struck me twice haha! wish me luck! i was PO'd too... first hot ass day in cali....
Wow...twice!!! This tells me that Honda serious had some design flaws with this A/C compressor/coil/clutch assembly.
Old 04-21-2009 | 07:01 PM
1st Gear

need help

Okay I really need help before taking it to the dealer tomorrow. I have a 04 TSX my ac compressor blow out awhile ago so i replace it with a new one right. so i charge it up with a can of oil and two cans of refrigerant it work good for about two weeks and today it blew cool air only. I went and check and see that th driver side fan is not working because i forgot to plug the power for the driver side, so i've been driving with the ac on and one fan for two weeks. Can this cause any damage to anything? And i also see that now after plugging both fan, it turns on when i turn my ac on but my compressor coils is not spinning anymore. so what could be the problem here. No funny noise or anything it just wont blow cold air.
Old 04-22-2009 | 12:08 AM
wine em, dine em, cl9 em

Originally Posted by valeratj
^ Awww.... sorry to hear about that, Clint. Hope everything works out for u
thank you val

Wow...twice!!! This tells me that Honda serious had some design flaws with this A/C compressor/coil/clutch assembly.
for real... curse this 04 AC! i'll be damned if lightning strikes twice!

i had to make an appointment for tomorrow so i would have this evening to raise up my coils i don't want those goons even attempting to drive my car/put it on a rack when it is on slammed status.
Old 04-22-2009 | 01:23 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by clintoris diggler
i don't want those goons even attempting to drive my car/put it on a rack when it is on slammed status.
When my A/C got replaced, my ride was already lowered. When the Master Tech was working on it, he didn't need to lift it.
Old 04-23-2009 | 09:16 PM
2nd Gear

Few months ago the A/C in my 2004 TSX (only 27,696 miles) would intermittently stop blowing cold air, I would turn it off and on a few times or play with the buttons and it would eventually start blowing cold air again. This happened a couple times a month but I was never without the A/C for more than a few hours. Last week it stop blowing cold air and has yet to work. I took it to the Acura dealership today and they told me the compressor locked up and shot debris through the whole system and I need to replace every component in the A/C. My Acura is no longer under warranty and I did not buy the extended warranty. They told me it would cost $2,700.00 to replace the whole A/C but Acura would be willing to pay for 75% which means my portion would cost about $700.00 + tax. They said they had to replace all components because if they only replace one the compressor could lock up again and ruin it so I should replace the whole system. Does this sound legitimate? Should I take it to a Honda dealership or other Import shop to see if I can get a cheaper price? This car has very low miles, I only work 2 miles from home but I also live in Tampa, FL and the summers here are unbearable without A/C.

Last edited by ktrayner68; 04-23-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-24-2009 | 12:15 AM
wine em, dine em, cl9 em

When my A/C got replaced, my ride was already lowered. When the Master Tech was working on it, he didn't need to lift it.
yea, this particular service advisor said it may need to be raised, so i did not want to risk it.

update on my ac: turns out it was just a leaky hose and a faulty valve. both replaced under warranty, no major components replaced. AC is blowing ice cold again haha, too bad its cold again in the bay

my extended warranty has certainly benefited this 04.
Old 04-24-2009 | 09:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ktrayner68
Few months ago the A/C in my 2004 TSX (only 27,696 miles) would intermittently stop blowing cold air, I would turn it off and on a few times or play with the buttons and it would eventually start blowing cold air again. This happened a couple times a month but I was never without the A/C for more than a few hours. Last week it stop blowing cold air and has yet to work. I took it to the Acura dealership today and they told me the compressor locked up and shot debris through the whole system and I need to replace every component in the A/C. My Acura is no longer under warranty and I did not buy the extended warranty. They told me it would cost $2,700.00 to replace the whole A/C but Acura would be willing to pay for 75% which means my portion would cost about $700.00 + tax. They said they had to replace all components because if they only replace one the compressor could lock up again and ruin it so I should replace the whole system. Does this sound legitimate? Should I take it to a Honda dealership or other Import shop to see if I can get a cheaper price? This car has very low miles, I only work 2 miles from home but I also live in Tampa, FL and the summers here are unbearable without A/C.
You should read through the rest of this thread. Yes, this problem is for real, and the repairs suck.
Old 04-24-2009 | 10:24 AM
6th Gear

that sux and expensive!!!! mine just stopped working one day......cant figure out whats wrong...
Old 04-27-2009 | 09:11 PM
Intermediate

Hey, add me to list! '04 manual TSX 72k miles
I have the intermittent A/C problem where it doesn't always blow cold air. Going to email my buddy at Acura service and see if he's familiar with this issue. I hope it's just the relay. HOPE!

BTW these forums rule.
Old 05-04-2009 | 08:59 PM
Intermediate

LuvMyTSX, approximately how many problems have we heard of in Canada?

I hope Acura USA AND Canada step up and make this a recall...
Old 05-11-2009 | 01:28 PM
n00b

Last Thursday, I brought my car in for the 2nd time because of the A/C problem. In April, I already had the compressor replaced. It was blowing cool air only when the car was moving. But when the car stops (like waiting at the light), it started blowing warm air. They replaced something that I didn't think it was related to the A/C system. It was the throttle body that was replaced. The service adviser told me that there is a sensor in the TB that when the idle speed drops below certain RPM, the A/C is shut off. I haven't checked with my service manual yet, but it sounds like a problem in the TB actuator/motor more than a sensor.

Anyway, the problem has been fixed at no extra charge to me. It is blowing cool air (actually cold air) now when both idling and moving. I thought I share this information here, hope it may help someone.
Old 05-11-2009 | 02:42 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Last Thursday, I brought my car in for the 2nd time because of the A/C problem. In April, I already had the compressor replaced. It was blowing cool air only when the car was moving. But when the car stops (like waiting at the light), it started blowing warm air. They replaced something that I didn't think it was related to the A/C system. It was the throttle body that was replaced. The service adviser told me that there is a sensor in the TB that when the idle speed drops below certain RPM, the A/C is shut off. I haven't checked with my service manual yet, but it sounds like a problem in the TB actuator/motor more than a sensor.

Anyway, the problem has been fixed at no extra charge to me. It is blowing cool air (actually cold air) now when both idling and moving. I thought I share this information here, hope it may help someone.
If you have a copy of the invoice/work order, can you list the part number that they replaced?
Old 05-11-2009 | 07:30 PM
n00b

Originally Posted by curls
If you have a copy of the invoice/work order, can you list the part number that they replaced?
Parts replaced:

1x Throttle body, p/n 16400-RBB-J02
1x Throttle body gasket, p/n 16176-RAA-A01
Old 06-13-2009 | 12:10 AM
3rd Gear

has anyone filed a class action lawsuit vs honda?

Quick Reply: '04 Air Conditioner broken