XM Commander Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 04:16 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
XM Commander Install

Thanks to Bass Mechanic, I was able to install the XM Commander faceplate in the "Not An Ashtray" bin - it looks sweet! Bass did the custom mounting work (good work, BTW) and I installed everything when it was done.

Check out the pics...

The Commander matches the interior lights of the TSX almost perfectly

Here are some pics of the actual install

I tapped into the fuse box for the power and accessory line.

Also, a line driver is a must if you want the volume to be equal to the CD player volume.

Old 03-10-2004, 04:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Damn, dude!! What's next? Portable BBQ grill? Or maybe a microwave? Or maybe you should do a drink warmer/cooler under the cupholders. You've got to have one of the most electronically customized TSXs yet. Gotta admit, it's all pretty sweet.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:57 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Seriously, i have so much entertainment in my car right now, i dont even know what to do with it. it'll come in handy at some point
Old 03-10-2004, 05:19 PM
Have camera, will travel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Damn, dude!! What's next? Portable BBQ grill? "

LOL!

RogerPodacter:

Nice install. You must've wanted XM radio REAL bad. I liked your pc upgrade too. You've got some serious electronics skills.

Cheers
Old 03-10-2004, 05:31 PM
04 remembrance

I'll tell you what, I'll give you my TSX for yours.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:06 PM
Burning Brakes

looks good man, seems strange to see my work show up on the net. having never met the person i did the work for it think it worked out pretty well to ship me the parts so i could do the install then ship back.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:11 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Yea, everything went quicker than i thought between the shipping and the work being done. I thought i wouldnt be able to wait, but it worked out great.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:51 PM
Don't listen to me.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bass did you by chance make a how to on the install? I thinking of changing my too. I want to put a preamp there. Any suggestions?
Old 03-11-2004, 10:46 AM
Über Geek

Roger and Bass:
I want to do the same install. What parts were sent? How long did it take? How much?
Please tell me!
Old 03-11-2004, 11:25 AM
Advanced

Do you have a Job?

I would sell my house with a car like that.

Great work man,
Old 03-11-2004, 04:46 PM
Burning Brakes

oritz, i the install is not for the ammature, it requires some custom fab and welding of plastic. carefull cutting and i have been doing things like this for over 16 years. even if i did a how to it would be difficult for the beginner to attempt.
also i hope you dont think im selfish but i think the amount i charged was more than fair. it was my idea my install and i enjoy making a little money on the side.
so there was no how to. this is somthing i can do to help out fellow TSXers and the shipping makes it easy as swapping out parts for the guy that owns the car.
as for a preamp i also sold him a preamp as seen in the pic for 30.00 and included it in the shipment back to him. i charged 3 hours labor (105 ) for the install and some shipping.

also i think you should ask Rogerprodactor what he thinks of the install i did, i think he would agree it was very professional and solid.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by captainjack
Roger and Bass:
I want to do the same install. What parts were sent? How long did it take? How much?
Please tell me!
105 + about 18 shipping and turnaround is 2 days

i need the faceplate, the trim ring and the center console. he bought a new one for 45 bucks as a replacment to sell the car with.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:38 PM
Über Geek

Re: XM Commander Install

Bass:
That price seems very fair. I want to have you do it but I have a couple concerns:

1) What's the trim ring?

2) Gutting the console looks scary. Could you give me instructions simple enough for 2nd grader to follow?

3) In this picture…

…I see a gap(?) between the edge of the XM/plate and the edge of the Not-An-Ashtray compartment. It looks sorta unfinished. Does this get covered by the console top? Is it just the angle of the pix?

4)And in this one…
…it looks like the console cover (with the heated seat switch) isn't lined up right w/the side of the console. I assume Roger did that part. Will my audio shop be able to pop mine back in right, to factory spec?

5) I'm waiting on my tax return so it might be a week or 2 'til I can actually ship. But I WILL do it as long as you can help with 1-4.

I'm not questioning your skills. Just being careful before I remove an organ from my baby and send it out into the world. I'm dead serious about getting this done. I already have the Commander and SHOND3 adaptor waiting on a shelf.

Let me know when you can. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:49 PM
Burning Brakes

the gap you are looking at is part of the console and cant be fixed cleanly. if you have a console to look at you will see that under the red not an ashtray bin it has that plastic lip on the front. then where the lighter socket sits has no lip there. you might ask rodgerprodactor what he thinks of the install its actually quite clean except for the small imperfection you noticed in the pic. i could cut that part out but it would have an unfinished edge there. i tried to keep as much of the factory peice in tact as i could. if you want yours flush i can do it that way but if you look inside it would look like there is a gap there.

as for the console that holds the seat heater switch is not part of the peice i modify. the part you send me is just the not an ashtray part with the door attached. it ends right where the panel that hold the switch begins. in fact he had to remove this panel to get to the 2 screws under it that hold the bottom part of the bin. there are 2 more at the top you can get to by removing the upper bin.

you can see these 2 empty screw holes in the top pic. you can see that unit and all the peices i need sent to me in that pic. the faceplate, the trim ring for the faceplate and the console itself.

you will also notice that with all the parts of the console installed again you really dont see the lip you noticed in the top pic.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:40 AM
So, do you like...stuff?

Re: Re: XM Commander Install

Originally posted by captainjack
Bass:

4)And in this one…
…it looks like the console cover (with the heated seat switch) isn't lined up right w/the side of the console. I assume Roger did that part. Will my audio shop be able to pop mine back in right, to factory spec?
In that picture the center console (with the heat switch) is not reattached yet. It is only "resting" on top, because i am waiting before i put it back together for the final install. This weekend i have to do a few things, and i didnt want to have to completely disassemble the console again.

As for your other question, that little "dip". It doesnt bother me at all, and i agree with Bass about leaving the stock material where possible. I am very happy with his work. Maybe he could cut that piece out for you if you wish.

Also, I ordered a brand new ash tray compartment in case i want to resell the car later without the xm there. You dont have to do this, all you would have to do is ship your existing piece out.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:06 AM
Über Geek

Thank you both very much.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:11 PM
1st Gear

Hello Bass Mechanic!

I'm going to be buying a non-Nav TSX at the end of April and would like to know if Bass Mechanic would be willing to do an install of an XM Commander. I can be reached at timepixdc@aol.com

Thanks.
Old 04-03-2004, 02:37 PM
Master in Science

Re: XM Commander Install

Looks awesome! Nice pics, too.