Phase 4 (the beginning)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 14 Posts
Phase 4 (the beginning)

A few new parts came in today that I'm hoping to get installed soon (Josh - I'm looking at you ):

ClutchMasters FX300 (Stage 3 - Carbon Kevlar)

Wavetrac LSD

Not pictured: DC5 Type R flywheel (10.25lbs) - should be arriving soon.

Oh, and a little engine "bling":

T1R radiator hoses

Phase 4 is more of a stop-gap/reinforcement for Phase 5...and I'm sure alot of you can guess what that will be .
Old 01-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
^ fudge, just when i thought my build was getting good, i've gotta keep up with you!

seriously, your ride is impressive - KEEP PUSHING THE ENVELOPE
Old 01-22-2009, 10:09 PM
Helladump/flush

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dayta, you are epresenting us ASM's very nicely. Very nice additions you have coming...
Old 01-22-2009, 11:17 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As for the diff, which application did you get to work w/ the TSX?
Old 01-23-2009, 12:10 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I be jealous. I miss the kevlar clutch on my civic. You can beat the hell out them and they just take it. Uptake is a bit quit for daily driving but you can compensate by just driving like a maniac all the time.

I want to hear everything you have to say about the LSD from installation to impressions. I'm really thinking about going down that road in the future. My car is mostly stock but the terrain is pretty severe around me and I tend to do a good amount of one tire spinning.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by godfather2
^ fudge, just when i thought my build was getting good, i've gotta keep up with you!

seriously, your ride is impressive - KEEP PUSHING THE ENVELOPE
Haha, thanks Vinny. I've been following your build thread as well - you've got an impressive setup yourself. In fact, if my exhaust system ends up being a bottleneck for me down the road, I might have to ask for your help .

Originally Posted by 04-6mt-atx
As for the diff, which application did you get to work w/ the TSX?
Any LSD made for a RSX Type-S app should work with the TSX. In fact, from what I've seen, most aftermarket parts made for K-series motors that don't involve piping are often interchangeable.

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
I be jealous. I miss the kevlar clutch on my civic. You can beat the hell out them and they just take it. Uptake is a bit quit for daily driving but you can compensate by just driving like a maniac all the time.

I want to hear everything you have to say about the LSD from installation to impressions. I'm really thinking about going down that road in the future. My car is mostly stock but the terrain is pretty severe around me and I tend to do a good amount of one tire spinning.
I was debating between a full-faced and a 6-puck disc, but for daily driving I figured a puck clutch might be a PITA. From what I understand, the clamp load shouldn't be increased more than 20%, but it should still hold 110% over stock. I'm just not looking forward to the 5-600 mile break-in period because I like to drive like a maniac . I guess that's the good thing about puck clutches - a few hard shifts and they're good to go. I'm just hoping a 10.25lbs flywheel will still be streetable...

I will not be doing the LSD install myself (lack of tools...and knowledge ). Instead, I'm having Josh/Jamie @ Excelerate handle it. They've done most of the work on my car, and I fully trust them - much more than I trust myself. I'll definitely give driving impressions once everything's installed. Honestly, I've been waiting to add an LSD for years, even before the S/C. I get ridiculous wheel spin in the lower gears at any RPM, so it'll be nice to control that .
Old 01-23-2009, 12:23 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Awesome setup

I've read a lot of good things about the Wavetrac LSD. Power is one thing, but putting all the power to the ground is another. Your car is coming together nicely and this setup will be perfect for when you up the boost
Old 01-26-2009, 09:33 PM
is glad to be back!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

:th umbsup:
Old 01-27-2009, 05:23 AM
Time to Climb

i'm having visions of kpro and an inter/aftercooler for you .... i hope i'm right
Old 01-27-2009, 08:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tsx536
Awesome setup

I've read a lot of good things about the Wavetrac LSD. Power is one thing, but putting all the power to the ground is another. Your car is coming together nicely and this setup will be perfect for when you up the boost
I'm looking forward to adding the LSD as well. While I think it will noticeably decrease wheelspin on low-gear acceleration, I'm really interested to see how it will improve cornering traction.

i'm having visions of kpro and an inter/aftercooler for you .... i hope i'm right
Old 01-27-2009, 08:52 AM
Time to Climb

lol, you suck
Old 01-29-2009, 01:35 AM
Instructor

K-Pro is definitely Phase 5. Aren't you running methanol on high boost right now?

Soon I'm going to be chasing after you, assuming all goes well with my '07 at Hondata this weekend. K-Pro + 10psi + RSX LSD = here we go…
Old 01-29-2009, 12:21 PM
Racer

can't see pics. Is it just me?
Old 01-29-2009, 12:43 PM
where is my garage?!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Populuxe
K-Pro is definitely Phase 5. Aren't you running methanol on high boost right now?

Soon I'm going to be chasing after you, assuming all goes well with my '07 at Hondata this weekend. K-Pro + 10psi + RSX LSD = here we go…
you're doing the 04-06 k-pro swap test int an 07/08 this weekend?!
Old 01-29-2009, 10:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by xjohnkdoex
you're doing the 04-06 k-pro swap test int an 07/08 this weekend?!

Um, uh, no. You didn't hear me say that.
I'll post the results on Sunday when I get back from Torrance if Hondata is cool with it.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:47 PM
where is my garage?!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
haha. good luck man. i really hope there is a solution. would def be interested in the results if you're able to comment on it all.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Populuxe

Yes, I'm running a 3.2" pulley + water/meth. I don't know if I'd call 7-8psi high boost, but it's higher ...

Good luck with the K-Pro testing this week. I believe kuma912 on the "other" website is attempting to do the same thing, so I'm sure the 07-08 guys are rooting for both of you .
Old 02-26-2009, 11:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Everything's installed...

Quick update: All tranny components have been installed.

There were scheduling conflicts with Josh/Jamie @ Excelerate (i.e. I was impatient) so I went to another shop for the install. Consequently, I want to say thanks to Greg @ JK Motorsports. Him and his team did a great job handling the install .

First impressions are definitely positive. Due to the fact that the carbon kevlar disc requires careful break-in, I won't be able to push the car for at least 6-700 miles. That said, the steering feels heavier with the LSD installed - but in a good way. The car seems much more planted around bends, even when I'm not pushing it.

By contrast, the clutch pedal is extremely light - lighter than stock which surprised me. Also, the engagement point is considerably lower (which did not surprise me). One thing is for sure, the car revs SO much quicker with the DC5 Type-R flywheel. I don't even have to give it more than 20-30% throttle and the car accelerates much quicker. I can't wait to step on it once the break-in period is over.

I will come back with more impressions in the next few weeks, but suffice it to say I'm very pleased with the results so far......oh, and I also really miss boost .

Phase 5 is only 2-3 weeks away ...
Old 02-27-2009, 05:12 AM
Time to Climb

congrats dayta ... keep taking your build to places unimaginable only months ago!!!!!
Old 02-27-2009, 06:42 AM
boost owns

Glad to hear your positive impressions... did they wash your car after all? When I dropped you off it looked pretty clean (then again, compared to my car before I washed it, any car looked clean...). Also, how long is that JK Motorsports license plate frame staying on there? Haha

I'm over here (im)patiently waiting on Phase 3... it'll be nice to have that in time for the nice weather.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Congrats on the installs. Can't wait for the fully tuned setup, dyno and perhaps time slip.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:46 AM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Awesome man! Your must be able to go through 1st and 2nd like they are nothing. Can't wait to see your dyno numbers. How about an in cabin video too?!
Old 02-27-2009, 02:34 PM
Burning Brakes

congrats dayta ... keep taking your build to places unimaginable only months ago!!!!!
Thanks man, and if you ever do decide to part out that exhaust setup, you know where to find me .

Originally Posted by Audioserf
Glad to hear your positive impressions... did they wash your car after all? When I dropped you off it looked pretty clean (then again, compared to my car before I washed it, any car looked clean...). Also, how long is that JK Motorsports license plate frame staying on there? Haha

I'm over here (im)patiently waiting on Phase 3... it'll be nice to have that in time for the nice weather.
Thanks again for the ride .

The blower is gonna rock your world...

Originally Posted by JTso
Congrats on the installs. Can't wait for the fully tuned setup, dyno and perhaps time slip.
Who says I'm going for a fully tuned setup ???

Thanks for all the advice you've given me. I wouldn't have ended up with the DC5 Type-R flywheel if it wasn't for you .

Originally Posted by Tsx536
Awesome man! Your must be able to go through 1st and 2nd like they are nothing. Can't wait to see your dyno numbers. How about an in cabin video too?!
Well, because of the clutch break-in process I actually haven't gone over 3k RPM yet...but I can imagine how it will feel when I do .

Updated vids are coming...
Old 02-27-2009, 04:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by DAYTA
Quick update: All tranny components have been installed.

There were scheduling conflicts with Josh/Jamie @ Excelerate (i.e. I was impatient) so I went to another shop for the install.
I'll remember this.

Glad everything worked out. Starting April 1st we will have Jamie on board as a full time technician and we have may have a tuner available too.

And the only license plate frame on that car better be mine after all the work I've done.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Excelerate
I'll remember this.

Glad everything worked out. Starting April 1st we will have Jamie on board as a full time technician and we have may have a tuner available too.

And the only license plate frame on that car better be mine after all the work I've done.
Haha, don't consider this a criticism on your work - all the work you've done (which is alot) has been high quality and well priced. You know that if you guys could've taken me sooner, I would've gone with you.

Jamie will be a very valuable asset, and between the two of you there'll be almost nothing that can't be done at your shop .

And don't worry - I'll be removing the license plate frame since you know I don't like having anything on there.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Haha, don't consider this a criticism on your work - all the work you've done (which is alot) has been high quality and well priced. You know that if you guys could've taken me sooner, I would've gone with you.

Jamie will be a very valuable asset, and between the two of you there'll be almost nothing that can't be done at your shop .

And don't worry - I'll be removing the license plate frame since you know I don't like having anything on there.
Speaking of which, Jamie moved a lot of his tools in here the other day. He should be starting with us full time the 1st or 2nd week of April and I'm excited to bring many new services to our shop and I'll be able to focus more on the core workings of Excelerate.

Oh and we may have someone who can tune Hondata for us.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:02 AM
boost owns

Hmmm, I think I may have an install job coming up that Jamie can help with, don't you?

This will be the longest 3 weeks ever...
Old 03-05-2009, 05:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Audioserf
Hmmm, I think I may have an install job coming up that Jamie can help with, don't you?

This will be the longest 3 weeks ever...
Absolutely, that's the idea. Forget helping me; he will do the entire job. I am a fine technician but Jamie is a real mechanic, capable of installing anything and diagnosing and resolving issues.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:10 PM
Burning Brakes

impressions

OK, so I finished the self-enforced 700-mile+ break-in period last night (ClutchMasters recommended 500 miles) and decided I would go for a quick spirited drive on my way back from work.

To sum up my impressions in one word......WOW !!!

Clutch (ClutchMasters FX300)

Pedal pressure is also very close to stock. It might be very slightly heavier, but the positive tradeoff is considerably more feedback and less mush.

In normal day-to-day driving, clutch engagement is extremely smooth. It feels almost exactly like stock (albeit a little more grabby). In slow moving traffic, you can slip it without problem and it remains silent (no chatter common with puck clutches).

However, when pushing the car, the clutch grabs really hard. Engagement is forceful but not brutal, and it feels so much more connected/solid all throughout the rev range.

Overall, it really is the best of both worlds - the ease of use like a standard organic clutch with the holding qualities of a race clutch. But again, with any type of kevlar-based friction plate, the break-in period is key. Additionally, I wouldn't recommend this clutch setup for anyone planning to drag their car as the material is not designed for the excessive overheating that will be generated from hard launches or power shifting.

Flywheel (JDM DC5 Type-R)

Throttle response is immensely improved and the engine revs considerably more freely now, regardless of where I am in the RPM band. I was worried about the significant weight decrease affecting the ability to maintain highway speeds, but no such issues exist.

The one issue I have is not a deficiency with the flywheel so much as our horribly calibrated DBW system. While having improved response is excellent, the problem is that now it's much more difficult to actually modulate the throttle. Consequently, I find it slightly more difficult to rev match my downshifts efficiently because even the slightest input will either rev too much or too little - there's very little consistency. If there was a way to re-calibrate our DBW system to function more like the one in the 06+ S2000, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.

LSD (Wavetrac)

In my life, I've driven many cars with LSDs as standard so I had no point of reference with those particular experiences. But with the TSX, words truly can't describe what a difference having a proper differential makes on every driving aspect. From acceleration to cornering, everything is night and day.

For fun, I did a few 1st-2nd quick acceleration runs (no launches, though). Before, chirping the tires was essentially involuntary at WOT. Now...there's nothing. I tried my hardest to spin the tires, and they wouldn't. I was just pinned to the back of my seat by the acceleration. Amazing...

If anything, taking corners with the LSD was even more impressive. The car has this unbelievably planted feel now and understeer is quite literally non-existent. With the inner wheel now receiving additional power from the driveshaft, I can feel the car pulling me towards the middle of an apex. Having this amount of grip gives me a new level of confidence. I feel like I can attack the corners rather than just "carve" them. I really am at a loss for words to describe how good my car feels in the corners now.

This is one of my two favorite mods by far. Dare I say it - overall, I might even like it more than the supercharger (). If you prefer straight-line speed and highway passing, then the supercharger is a great mod. However, if carving up windy backroads is your preference, I'd spend the money on an LSD first hands down.

I am VERY, VERY pleased with how my Phase 4 turned out. If anyone is looking for a solid, track-ready setup that is extremely streetable, look no further .

Last edited by DAYTA; 03-13-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Time to Climb

jealousy and envy over here
Old 03-14-2009, 06:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Congrats on the new setup!
Old 03-14-2009, 09:23 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
that boosted TSX is sweet
Old 03-14-2009, 11:49 PM
Racer

your write up just re-affirms my dead set desire for an LSD, LW flywheel, clutch as my next major purchase. thanks for the post break in write up

shiraz > grammar
Old 03-15-2009, 11:10 AM
Racer

This is one of my two favorite mods by far. Dare I say it - overall, I might even like it more than the supercharger (). If you prefer straight-line speed and highway passing, then the supercharger is a great mod. However, if carving up windy backroads is your preference, I'd spend the money on an LSD first hands down.
Isn't it just convienant that you have both mods on the car? I would assume having the LSD to put the SC ower down to the road is quite different than before. The limited or no wheel spin must improve the overall feel of straight line exceleration. Glad to hear the impressions are good and the money was well spent. I take it that the LSD would benefit a 5AT car as well? Also care to give a ball park cost on the hardware needed and installation?
Old 03-15-2009, 11:19 AM
Advanced

5AT= No diffrental since its a auto tranny LSD mod is for 6mt only
Old 03-17-2009, 01:32 PM
Time to Climb

Originally Posted by carmagnut
Isn't it just convienant that you have both mods on the car? I would assume having the LSD to put the SC ower down to the road is quite different than before. The limited or no wheel spin must improve the overall feel of straight line exceleration. Glad to hear the impressions are good and the money was well spent. I take it that the LSD would benefit a 5AT car as well? Also care to give a ball park cost on the hardware needed and installation?
you'd be better served trying to upgrade your AUTO torque converter
Old 03-17-2009, 01:40 PM
boost owns

Every time I read your threads it makes me wish I could teleport forwards in time by a month...
Old 03-17-2009, 01:52 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

OK, so I finished the self-enforced 700-mile+ break-in period last night (ClutchMasters recommended 500 miles) and decided I would go for a quick spirited drive on my way back from work.

To sum up my impressions in one word......WOW !!!

Clutch (ClutchMasters FX300)

Pedal pressure is also very close to stock. It might be very slightly heavier, but the positive tradeoff is considerably more feedback and less mush.

In normal day-to-day driving, clutch engagement is extremely smooth. It feels almost exactly like stock (albeit a little more grabby). In slow moving traffic, you can slip it without problem and it remains silent (no chatter common with puck clutches).

However, when pushing the car, the clutch grabs really hard. Engagement is forceful but not brutal, and it feels so much more connected/solid all throughout the rev range.

Overall, it really is the best of both worlds - the ease of use like a standard organic clutch with the holding qualities of a race clutch. But again, with any type of kevlar-based friction plate, the break-in period is key. Additionally, I wouldn't recommend this clutch setup for anyone planning to drag their car as the material is not designed for the excessive overheating that will be generated from hard launches or power shifting.

Flywheel (JDM DC5 Type-R)

Throttle response is immensely improved and the engine revs considerably more freely now, regardless of where I am in the RPM band. I was worried about the significant weight decrease affecting the ability to maintain highway speeds, but no such issues exist.

The one issue I have is not a deficiency with the flywheel so much as our horribly calibrated DBW system. While having improved response is excellent, the problem is that now it's much more difficult to actually modulate the throttle. Consequently, I find it slightly more difficult to rev match my downshifts efficiently because even the slightest input will either rev too much or too little - there's very little consistency. If there was a way to re-calibrate our DBW system to function more like the one in the 06+ S2000, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.

LSD (Wavetrac)

In my life, I've driven many cars with LSDs as standard so I had no point of reference with those particular experiences. But with the TSX, words truly can't describe what a difference having a proper differential makes on every driving aspect. From acceleration to cornering, everything is night and day.

For fun, I did a few 1st-2nd quick acceleration runs (no launches, though). Before, chirping the tires was essentially involuntary at WOT. Now...there's nothing. I tried my hardest to spin the tires, and they wouldn't. I was just pinned to the back of my seat by the acceleration. Amazing...

If anything, taking corners with the LSD was even more impressive. The car has this unbelievably planted feel now and understeer is quite literally non-existent. With the inner wheel now receiving additional power from the driveshaft, I can feel the car pulling me towards the middle of an apex. Having this amount of grip gives me a new level of confidence. I feel like I can attack the corners rather than just "carve" them. I really am at a loss for words to describe how good my car feels in the corners now.

I am VERY, VERY pleased with how my Phase 4 turned out. If anyone is looking for a solid, track-ready setup that is extremely streetable, look no further .
Great writeup

It sounds like the tranny mods really made a big difference. You're car must be a lot of fun to drive!! I'm glad everything turned out so good.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:31 PM
Instructor

Wow. That sounds phenomenal! Great write up, I really get a great sense on exactly how the mods have changed the car. Enough to know how much I would personally love them on mine based on my driving style and what I want out of my car.

I am so very, very, very jealous. Congrats!
Old 03-18-2009, 05:39 AM
Drifting

It's times like this that I REALLY wish I bought a 6MT rather than a 5AT