Old 09-25-2008, 07:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
More photos post cleaning of the Duc:

Old 09-25-2008, 08:22 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
HOT!!!!

Is that the same bike that was on Irobot?
Old 09-26-2008, 06:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
HOT!!!!

Is that the same bike that was on Irobot?
No, I believe they used an MV Agusta in that movie. So far there have only been a few movies that I've seen with Ducatis in them:

Fled - 916 (this is the movie that got me hooked on Ducati)
Matrix Reloaded - 996
The Italian Job - 748
Austin Powers Goldmember - 748
Old 09-26-2008, 09:13 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by moda_way
More photos post cleaning of the Duc:
Niiiiiice. Looks like the baby brother of this bike.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Well, I am officially (and have been) become a statistic. In late October, I ended the affair with my Italian beauty. It was by choice of course. I was riding with a group of folks and entered a slight left hand turn on a back road. The 2 guys in front pointed out some gravel, the 3rd guy drove through the edge and recovered, I unfortunately split the gravel and drove right through it loosing grip in the front. I stood the bike up and looked for an exit. It was a telephone/eletric pole on my left and a tree on my right. I choose to go between into a grassy field. After going down the embankment, I bottomed out the suspension and the bike w/ me laid down on our right side. I sustained a puncture wound and she sustained what initially was to be cosmetic damage. Buds picked the bike up and assessed it. It was drivable and I rode it to the ER to get stitched up. Rode it back to the house and had the insurance come out in the morning per a riding buddies suggestion (a misaligned motor can come back to bite you). Anyway, insurance came out and concluded the following; Due to damage seen on the rear wheel, rear suspension, exhaust, and body damage with slight crack in frame on the right rearset, your 1098 would cost $11k in parts and $3k in labor. We have totalled your bike out.

Pics to come shortly....
Old 11-24-2008, 02:37 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ ouch...

glad you weren't seriously injured bro. as msf instructors always say - there are 2 types of people: ones who've crashed and ones who will crash again... i loved street and dirt bikes but in the end, motorcycles were more of a hobby than main transportation... i hung up my "leathers" a while ago...

but that's why i love my tsx! its a high revving motor that loves to be flogged hard!
Old 11-24-2008, 02:53 PM

Oooooh.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:16 PM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
wow moda, i'm just glad you escaped with cuts/bruises. when i hear of a bike accident, the first thing that comes to mind is RIP
Old 11-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Boo! I hope you were leathered up. I've been down twice now, both times due to other drivers doing something asinine. Both were low speed affairs and I was wearing full gear (by full I mean a two piece suit, boots, gloves, helmet and few extra pieces here and there). I would have lost quite a bit of skin on my forearm had the jacket not done it's job. Luckily (an purposefully) I ride a 15 year old bike so if and when it comes down to it, I don't have a second thought about sacrificing the bike to save my body.

Let this be a lesson to all who ride, the ground and all its firmly affixed buddies are serious fucking business when they're passing by at much more than 20 mph. If there's a part of your body you're rather fond of, best put something between that and the ground.

Now take that insurance check and turn it into another piece of fun on wheels. This is the time to buy. If you wait till spring there will be much higher demand and things will be priced accordingly.

Glad you're mostly alright. Keep it sticky side down next time out, eh?
Old 11-24-2008, 09:56 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice bike. im jealous i wont have one anytime soon.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:13 PM
Racer

That totally sucks. I'm sure it happened so fast you didn't even realize it until it was over. Good to hear you are ok. I too have laid a bike down a 2005 600rr. I hit some gravel in a corner and low sided it about 45. insurance paid about $4000 to fix it. I was ok. The important thing is that you are fine, it could have been a lot worse. Are you going to get a new bike? I sold my bike for the TSX and haven't been happier since. Sure there are the days I want a bike, but its too crazy out their with dumb drivers, and besides, I was getting stupid. If you don't mind me asking where was the puncture wound? It sounds like it missed organs and bones (I am a chiropractor so I am always curious about medical stuff). Glad to hear you survived, good luck.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:05 AM
Burning Brakes

good to hear ur alrite, any pics?
Old 11-25-2008, 05:34 AM
Suzuka Master

So here are the pics:

Old 11-25-2008, 05:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
Boo! I hope you were leathered up. I've been down twice now, both times due to other drivers doing something asinine. Both were low speed affairs and I was wearing full gear (by full I mean a two piece suit, boots, gloves, helmet and few extra pieces here and there). I would have lost quite a bit of skin on my forearm had the jacket not done it's job. Luckily (an purposefully) I ride a 15 year old bike so if and when it comes down to it, I don't have a second thought about sacrificing the bike to save my body.

Let this be a lesson to all who ride, the ground and all its firmly affixed buddies are serious fucking business when they're passing by at much more than 20 mph. If there's a part of your body you're rather fond of, best put something between that and the ground.

Now take that insurance check and turn it into another piece of fun on wheels. This is the time to buy. If you wait till spring there will be much higher demand and things will be priced accordingly.

Glad you're mostly alright. Keep it sticky side down next time out, eh?
I was wearing my leather jacket, helmet, and gloves. I hadn't yet gotten my boots b/c I didn't think I would be riding much more. This day would've been one of the last riding days here in Ohio and just so happens that's when I had my off road experience. Had I been wearing boots, I wouldn't have had any injuries, but more importantly, I didn't hit any pavement, so you are right, it is really important to have ALL the gear. I would've been pretty torn up had I slid on pavement. I was going to get these riding jeans by DiamondGusset Company that are Kevlar lined, but again, I hadn't gotten them yet.

I had a few close calls before this from other drivers trying to take the lane I was in, but mostly I had an uneventful experience with my Ducati. I eased my way into the power it had, so I wasn't some jackass just going out idiotically speeding around. That's not to say I didn't roll on the power a bunch of times, but the disturbing part is that this happened while I was totally behaving myself. As stated before, I'm now part of the very popular club, "Those who have been down."

To answer the question, "Will I get another?" I absolutely will. Not sure when exactly, but there will be another Ducati in the garage sometime. I'd get another one right now if it financially responsible. Given my insurance will suck for about 3 years now, it seems more responsible in these times to save save save instead of spending.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:14 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Elevate your leg above the level of your heart as often as you can & place packs of cold peas on the bruises - to help with swelling and pain.

Hope you recover quickly!
Old 11-25-2008, 11:39 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Sorry to hear that. And thank god you're alright.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by PACman
Elevate your leg above the level of your heart as often as you can & place packs of cold peas on the bruises - to help with swelling and pain.

Hope you recover quickly!
Its long over now, but yeah, I got that advice as well as doing the "A, B, Cs" with my big toe. Under that large bandaid was my stitches for the puncture wound. Proof that I should've gotten those Puma 1000 v2 boots, which are on sale now for a steal.

Originally Posted by dom
Sorry to hear that. And thank god you're alright.
Thanks. Its still tough thinking I had that bike and now I don't. It was AMAZING and worth every penny.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:44 PM
Drifting

Every sketchy situation I've ever been in has been while I was totally behaving myself. The problem is that other people are so unpredictable and on a bike, you are so very exposed. A friend of mine was waiting at a light in stopped traffic when the guy behind wasn't paying enough attention and crept forward. In a car it would have been on of those no harm, no foul bump and go situations. In this case though, the bike was knocked over and my buddy broke his foot.

I hate riding anywhere near other traffic, especially multi-lane roads with traffic lights. You easily vanish from view to the SUV drivers. All it takes is one arrogant business jerk on his cell phone glancing at his mirror, seeing nothing and then cutting into the next lane without warning. I have these kind of close calls in my car all the time which is 500% more visible than a bike.

The more I ride on the street, the more I want build a track bike and give up the public roadways.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Damn, glad you're alright man.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
Every sketchy situation I've ever been in has been while I was totally behaving myself. The problem is that other people are so unpredictable and on a bike, you are so very exposed. A friend of mine was waiting at a light in stopped traffic when the guy behind wasn't paying enough attention and crept forward. In a car it would have been on of those no harm, no foul bump and go situations. In this case though, the bike was knocked over and my buddy broke his foot.

I hate riding anywhere near other traffic, especially multi-lane roads with traffic lights. You easily vanish from view to the SUV drivers. All it takes is one arrogant business jerk on his cell phone glancing at his mirror, seeing nothing and then cutting into the next lane without warning. I have these kind of close calls in my car all the time which is 500% more visible than a bike.

The more I ride on the street, the more I want build a track bike and give up the public roadways.
I found highways at non-peak traffic hours to be my favorite. Boring scenery, but atleast everyone is going in the same direction. The biggest negative is speed. If you are going to get into an accident, it will be at a very high rate of speed and you will very little margin for error. However, it seems on back roads, every telephone pole and guard rail has your name printed all over it. I jokingly said to my rider buds, "I need to go back to the scene and put 'Ryan was almost here' on the telephone pole". I'm trying to look at it as positively as I can. It isn't every day you get to fulfill your #1 dream, even if for a brief period of time.

The idea of riding on a track is great, but I really did enjoy those moments when there is a gap in traffic, that you can take a deep breath and look around. But then again, you get shoved right back into reality with the next truck, SUV or car in front of you. My MSF course instructor said, "It is simply about the amount of risk you are willing to accept. Motorcycles are always the losers in an accident, so what are you willing to do to minimize that risk." Clearly I could've done a bit more, but I started out right. I had ridden plenty of bikes in my time, but I said, "Hey, if I'm going to do this, I'm going to learn the right way." It seems my investment at least helped to save me if not the bike.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:49 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i hate you. i want your bike.

edit: ouch, glad you're ok

Last edited by afici0nad0; 11-25-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by afici0nad0
i hate you. i want your bike.

edit: ouch, glad you're ok
Wish I could sell it to you, but it is long gone. I tried to sell it to a guy in NY so he could race it, but I already signed over power-of-attorney to my insurance and they sold it to a scrap yard.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:36 AM
Suzuka Master

I forgot to add this picture. My wife was so gracious to take it as I was standing in the garage.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:23 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Old 11-26-2008, 09:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear about your bike - she was a beauty. Still, I'm glad to hear you're OK .

I've been contemplating picking up a bike for some time, but as you said, it's not a question of if you're going to lay down so much as when. Between your story, stories from friends, and what I've witnessed first hand (just recently, I saw some fat woman not paying attention T-bone this guy on a bike at a 4-way while making a turn - pretty horrible ), I think I might just pass.

I love bikes (never owned a sportbike, but I've owned a few dirtbikes), but I just don't know if the risk is worth it. Maybe I'm just getting old ...
Old 11-26-2008, 10:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by DAYTA
Wow, sorry to hear about your bike - she was a beauty. Still, I'm glad to hear you're OK .

I've been contemplating picking up a bike for some time, but as you said, it's not a question of if you're going to lay down so much as when. Between your story, stories from friends, and what I've witnessed first hand (just recently, I saw some fat woman not paying attention T-bone this guy on a bike at a 4-way while making a turn - pretty horrible ), I think I might just pass.

I love bikes (never owned a sportbike, but I've owned a few dirtbikes), but I just don't know if the risk is worth it. Maybe I'm just getting old ...
I don't think it is a question of getting old, it is about how much risk are you willing to take. I know that if I get another bike, it means I'm willing to risk a lot at the expense of my wife and kids. As much as I love my motorcycle, this accident has called into question that. Do I want to miss my sons playing sports, teaching them how to work on cars, teaching them how to shoot a rifle/pistol/shotgun, hunting trips, taking the plunge into marriage and becoming a grandfather. It sounds rather sentimental, but I am the unlucky beneficiary of a wife who's uncle died early on in his son's lives and I see how much they really needed him around. So I guess the point is, are you willing to sacrifice those things for the pure enjoyment of a motorcycle. I've had a Ducati and if it is at all possible to love a material item, I loved my 1098. The really messed part is I did all the right things and I still ended up having an accident. So I desparately want my motorcycle back, but I have to weigh the risks again, as I did when I got the bike the first time.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:23 PM
Drifting

Just get track bike. They're generally cheaper to buy and the track is 100 times safer than the road. You'll never have to pick between running into a tree or a pole on a track (I guess if you're particularly skilled in the art of failing you could force that decision but...). It's a cheap way of getting into racing.

The other option which I'm weighing heavily is a shifter cart. The risk of injury is moderately lower and they still look like a crap load of fun.

Dayta, I know what you're saying about getting older. Perspectives change and the reasonableness of certain risks shift around readily. I love riding but I don't know how much longer I'll be doing it. Just too much to lose, ya know?
Old 11-26-2008, 04:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts
Damn....no freaken way! Hope you're ok. Well....I guess it is time to antie it up for a Desmo!
Old 11-26-2008, 06:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by KB1Spec
Damn....no freaken way! Hope you're ok. Well....I guess it is time to antie it up for a Desmo!
LOL... I don't think I can make a payment on a D16RR and alimony and child care. I'll look into a 1098 next year or an 1198 in a few years. Right now the deal is my wife wants a 3rd child in a year or 2. I told her that I want another bike and that somewhere in there is a deal we can strike.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:47 PM
Cruisin'

glad to see that you are ok, looking at the pics.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
wow, sorry to hear about the bike. Such a quick affair.. Glad you are ok.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JTso
wow, sorry to hear about the bike. Such a quick affair.. Glad you are ok.
Thanks... and yes it was too quick. Unfortunately, it even happens to the careful ones.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:07 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
OMG>...that's amazing!! One of my dream bikes for sure!! Ducati ftw!!
Old 12-09-2008, 12:56 PM
I Only Park In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never knew having an affair with an Italian lady could take so much out of you. As you can see by the pic, that's 1 1/2 hours on her wearing my helmet of course.

I've already modified her too. Took off a high beam block out plate, which did nothing more than make the high beams totally useless at night and I took off the reflectors on the license plate bracket and front fender. She comes with a seat to make the bike biposto, but I went ahead and took the rear pegs off because the wife isn't interested in a two-some.
i fkucing hate you j/k that's my dream bike enjoy it bro ! oh yeah, how much did u pay for it ???
Old 12-09-2008, 01:52 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by bjtexer
i fkucing hate you j/k that's my dream bike enjoy it bro ! oh yeah, how much did u pay for it ???
Umm
Old 12-09-2008, 02:27 PM
Drifting

^^ LOL, thread reading FTL!
Old 01-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Right now the deal is my wife wants a 3rd child in a year or 2. I told her that I want another bike and that somewhere in there is a deal we can strike.
LMAO... you'll have to let us know what the "somewhere" deal reached was.

Husband: Babe I want a bike.
Wife: Honey, I want another kid.

Husband: Okay let's compromise.
Wife: Okay then, no bike for you and a kid for me.

Husband:...lol.

To be honest, I have a '06 GSXR 600 in my garage, but once I have a family, my personal feeling is it will be going bye-bye for the same reasons you mentioned that I would want to be there for my family too.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by bjtexer
Don't worry, I sometimes respond to a thread before noticing that it continues for 2-3-4 pages, too.

Quick Reply: Noticeably Absent: Been Cheating on the wife