Old 04-05-2007, 10:10 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks cool as hell
Old 04-05-2007, 10:34 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,518 Likes on 1,184 Posts
One hell of a ride!!!

Adding some JDM headlights and a polished exhaust would increase its curb appeal.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:02 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good to see another tsx with mesh style wheels... clean ride
Old 04-05-2007, 01:08 PM
kai!

ok so i'm finally calm enough to post my terrible experience...

Yesterday early morning, my dad, uncle, little sister, and I were on our way to San Antonio for my grandfather's funeral. On the way out of Dallas on I-35, at 5:45AM around all that stupid construction thats been going on for ages near Waxahachie, I'm going about 70 MPH which is the posted speed limit, and I started to feel the car get extremely loose in the rear. I brushed it off thinking that my tires were just catching grooves in the pavement and were just being pulled a little, or it was a little windy. About 30 seconds later, I started going into an all out spin. I started heading toward the median wall, but I managed to save the car from swerving into it with a hard right. Then I started swerving right so I pulled a hard left, but this time it was enough to send me spinning counter-clockwise (twice) and I spun off into the tall grass/ mud of the right shoulder. That was a blessing surviving that, as the conditions were just right. Everywhere else on I-35 there's like hills and deep ditches where it would have surely ended in more of a disaster.

Needless to say everyone in my car (everyone but me was asleep) was shaken up because they had no clue what happened. I'm facing a big hill in the shoulder, almost perpendicular to the highway. I turn my car on and get the VSA and Check Emissions System lights, and try to reverse out. I was spinning my tires in some mud (the mud was good though because it was really sticky and slowed me down when I went off the road) so my uncle and dad helped push me back onto the shoulder. I checked all of the wheels and found that just my driver's side right rear had a blow out - which i later found to be a fucking screw that caused it. The tire had shred completely, the inside sidewall cut out all the way around. With trucks and cars screaming by at like 80/ 90 MPH, I changed the tire with the spare in like 15-20 minutes and put my car in cruise control at 50 MPH the rest of the way to Waco.

We got into Waco and that stupid small town didnt have any rental car places anywhere in sight, so I followed signs to the airport, which by the way is like 20 miles from the damn highway itself. I parked my car there and had to wait until 8:00AM when the rental car places opened (it was 7:15 when we go to the airport). We get the rental and get to San Antonio, needless to say late for the funeral.

After the funeral, we left for Waco to pick up my car, and then cruised at 50 MPH back to Dallas, watching for ever pothole in the road because at the time, we thought a pothole and the extremely low profile tires caused the blow out (didnt see the screw till i got home and changed the wheels and tires). So around the construction near the split for 35E and 35W, theres some more construction. Keep in mind, I'm going 50 MPH on a busy highway with cars speeding at like 80 to 90 MPH flashing lights at me (even though I was driving along at my own pace 10 MPH under the limit with my hazards on). I get to an unavoidable pothole the size of King Kong ass crack and hit it with my right side at like 30 to 40 MPH. I slowed down before I hit it but I couldnt stop or move over because there were cars everywhere. Anyway, I didnt think it was too bad at the time so I drove on. No noise or anything. Then we pulled over after a little while at a gas station for a pitstop. I looked at my right side rims...right front, bent into a peak so much so that there was a tear in the lip...right rear, bent almost as bad, but no crack in the lip like the front. Man, was I pissed. Top it off with my dad being paranoid that the tires werent holding air and I needed to stop and leave the car on the side of the road or get it towed (I was not to thrilled about that because it was like 8 PM and I needed my car for school the next morning), and my uncle laughing at me because I now had 3 damaged rims, exactly a week after I bought them. BTW my left front is in pristine condition still. Anyway, we crawled home at like 40 MPH and I threw my stockies back on and drove to a car wash and sprayed the hell out of my car, which still had mud everywhere and underneath.

I've been calling around all morning after waking up still depressed trying to figure out what to do. The dealership sold me some valve caps that show the tire pressure level. The only reason I bought them was because they told me it would cover damage from road hazard even to aftermarket wheels. I called the dealer and asked what to do and he gave me the company's number to file a claim and I called them. They told me that because theyre 19s they may not cover all of the damage. They told me to take it to the dealer or a wheel repair shop and assess the damage. That's option 1.

Option 2, the more favorable one for me is to fax a letter to TX DOT, Occupational Safety Division to file a claim about what happened, where, damage, and why it would be their fault. I don't remember the actual exit where it happened because I was so pissed at the time, but I'm pissed enough to drive out there later today to find it, take pictures and get longitude/latitude location of the pothole (well not really, but at least the exits and what not), even if it takes me 4 hours.

Lesson learned...fuck what anybody says, don't ever get 225/35-19 tires, and watch out if youre driving on Texas roads. I'm kind of disappointed that my wheels cracked and bent so easily though. If TDOT sends me a check, I'm getting forged wheels for sure.

....sigh....lets see how long this takes...
Old 04-05-2007, 01:42 PM
I can't find my garage

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo clean!
Old 04-05-2007, 01:44 PM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

Received 266 Likes on 131 Posts
wow... it's good that no one got hurt... I'm sorry about your rims, I hope everything works out with the TDOT
Old 04-05-2007, 02:02 PM
Advanced

that sucks man, but i'm glad everyone is safe....discount tire should cover the three tires under the free replacement road hazard warranty and you just need to get the two bent wheels replaced, hopefully they are the same ones you curbed last friday. and those should be covered by tdot or your tire/wheel warranty for the dealer.

Man, I'm driving down to Houston tomorrow, I'm debating whether or not I should keep the Ronjons on for now or switch to the stockies for the weekend...now I'm going to be paranoid and looking for potholes the entire way on I-45.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:09 PM
kai!

yea i called discount tire on the way back up to waco to get the left rear tire replaced and they said theyd have the tire in today...but that was before i screwed up the right side on that damn pothole. so now theyll just have to wait until whatever is going to happen with the TDOT. even if i get my 19s replaced, im going to do something about the 225/35 tires. ill talk to the guy at discount to see if he can let me pay extra for a swap for 235/35s instead or something.

ive never driven on I-45 myself, but Texas is Texas. watch out for those bastard potholes. I'd say its better safe than sorry to put the stockies on, but then again youve got plenty more tire than i do on your sidewall.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Advanced

if tdot doesn't pay for it, then take them to the shop i was telling you about for repairs, they should be able to fix the curb damaged and the bends for $125 a wheel...all together should only cost about $250 to $300 for repairing the wheels and replacing the tires through the road hazard warranty.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:31 PM
04 remembrance

TSX's generally look best clean/simple.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry that happened to you dude!
I just banged up one of my rims and after almost 3years of small scuffs and 2 rims with a bend in them it was time. $125 a wheel and they are like new.

That's nothing compared to new rims of course. I feel your pain. Don't knock the 19's they are still nice rims.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:52 PM
Burning Brakes

actually if your tsx has navi, you can get longitude and latitude locations, just click where you are. Hell you can even get your elevation above sea level
Old 04-05-2007, 09:15 PM
kai!

haha its not navi though
Old 04-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Burning Brakes

oh well. I'm glad everyone was/is alright from that! Sounds like you dodged a bullet. Well everything happens for a reason. Maybe god did this because someday youll be walking down the street and some guy will say "hey did you have a set of TSW's? And were three of them messed up in texas somewhere?" and youll say "yea" then he'll give you a free set of volks!
Old 04-06-2007, 01:03 AM
Pro

niceee
Old 04-06-2007, 01:45 AM
OEM plus!

Wow man, sorry to hear about the unfortuante series of events. If I were you I would go back to the places where you had the second incident and take some pictures for sure. The first incident with the screw is just going to be a lost cause, because that can happen anywhere. The only thing that would have been better than that is to have filed a police report right on the spot.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:18 PM
Pro

sorry 2 hear that...glad your OK
Old 04-06-2007, 09:21 PM
kai!

Originally Posted by A Cake On
Wow man, sorry to hear about the unfortuante series of events. If I were you I would go back to the places where you had the second incident and take some pictures for sure. The first incident with the screw is just going to be a lost cause, because that can happen anywhere. The only thing that would have been better than that is to have filed a police report right on the spot.
done and done...i went down there after class ended early today...man, it sure was a crazy ass site for the first incident. the second one i found easily too...the pothole was so damn deep i could fit my fingers extended all the way to the bottom of it. i had to go down there for the second one to get the exact location of it for when i file the claim...let's see where this goes...
Old 05-03-2007, 12:54 AM
kai!

ok so theyre back on for good now. i replaced the two rims that got fucked up and had Discount Tire replace the tire that blew. i just now got around to dropping a tad bit lower today and set it for good and got my alignment done today...all in this shit weather we had this past evening. right now my teins are set at 35mm on all 4 coilovers - the tein manual's recommended settings were 30mm but my front kept rubbing so i raised them all to 42mm but that was too high for me. im debating on a camber kit right now. im at -2.8 and -2.6 in the rear right now. everything else is set right - I got my alignment done at NTB and the guy who worked on it was a local miata guy who's known for being really good at them and i watched as he aligned the car. decided to get the 1 year warranty thing and he told me even after i install a camber kit i can bring it back to him and he'll adjust it for free - got pretty lucky.

ill take some better pictures when this crappy weather passes by and i finally get to wash my car again.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:15 AM
I can't find my garage

duuude niiice riide. ur cars close to what i had in mad for the near future.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:17 AM
OEM plus!

Originally Posted by n1ke5h
ok so theyre back on for good now. i replaced the two rims that got fucked up and had Discount Tire replace the tire that blew. i just now got around to dropping a tad bit lower today and set it for good and got my alignment done today...all in this shit weather we had this past evening. right now my teins are set at 35mm on all 4 coilovers - the tein manual's recommended settings were 30mm but my front kept rubbing so i raised them all to 42mm but that was too high for me. im debating on a camber kit right now. im at -2.8 and -2.6 in the rear right now. everything else is set right - I got my alignment done at NTB and the guy who worked on it was a local miata guy who's known for being really good at them and i watched as he aligned the car. decided to get the 1 year warranty thing and he told me even after i install a camber kit i can bring it back to him and he'll adjust it for free - got pretty lucky.

ill take some better pictures when this crappy weather passes by and i finally get to wash my car again.
So who paid for the wheels? Did you pay for them out of pocket or were you able to get the DOT to pay for the them since their roads were shitty?
Old 05-03-2007, 01:19 AM
Instructor

ok so im going to be called retarted for this question. but can someone explain what it mean by the offset?
Old 05-03-2007, 01:28 AM
kai!

Originally Posted by A Cake On
So who paid for the wheels? Did you pay for them out of pocket or were you able to get the DOT to pay for the them since their roads were shitty?
i havent really had the chance to get to my dad's office and send a fax (we dont have one at home) and ive been busy with finals until now so i havent sent the DOT the letter yet. i doubt theyll do anything though but ill still try since its only at the cost of a long distance fax.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:35 AM
kai!

Originally Posted by carcrazyboy68
ok so im going to be called retarted for this question. but can someone explain what it mean by the offset?
google wheel offset...basically for a TSX you need an offset of about 42 or higher. the lower the wheel offset the more the wheel sticks out past the fender, making it look weird and possibly causing rubbing issues with the fender and the tire if the car is lowered. with my wheels 40 seems to be perfect except minor rubbing. its completely flush with my fenders.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:41 AM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
hows them general exclaims uhp i have the same, pretty good tires and the price i'd say.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:14 AM
kai!

yea theyre not that bad. a whole lot better than stock, thats for sure. only complaint is that there isn't much rubber between my rims and the road, but thats because of the 225/35-19 size. i havent driven with any other tire than these and the stocks so im not really sure what the difference in performance is with other tires next time i get new tires ill probably spend a little extra to get something more performance oriented.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by n1ke5h
im debating on a camber kit right now. im at -2.8 and -2.6 in the rear right now.
Ummm...what's to debate??? You're way outta spec, and unless you like uneven treadwear I'd get a camber kit soon. They're not expensive, and they'll save your tires...unless you're trying to wear down your 225s and get 235s ...
Old 05-03-2007, 08:54 AM
kai!

Originally Posted by DAYTA
Ummm...what's to debate??? You're way outta spec, and unless you like uneven treadwear I'd get a camber kit soon. They're not expensive, and they'll save your tires...unless you're trying to wear down your 225s and get 235s ...
im debating on how long i can put off the camber kit so i can use the money towards Hondata instead also, that whole article about not needing a camber kit from Mr.Heeltoe got me thinking. plus, if its supposed to handle better with negative camber i wouldnt mind the minor tire wear.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Have camera, will travel

Really nice wheels
Old 05-12-2007, 09:48 PM
kai!

Adding a few more pics from when I got my dyno done today (check TSX dynos thread if you want to see it and a video)

Old 05-13-2007, 12:05 AM
Racer

how much did your wheels cost?
Old 05-13-2007, 12:21 AM
Instructor

wow. after all that bs. i'm glad you and your tsx are alright! your car is lookin' really nice.. what happened to the forged wheels? haha
Old 05-13-2007, 04:02 AM
kai!

Originally Posted by LOL888
how much did your wheels cost?
wheels, tires, and Discount Tire's replacement plan took it to about 1270 total...and then add about 410 more for replacing 2 rims.