Installed: Cleared 2006 Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 05:33 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Installed: Cleared 2006 Headlights

After reading about these, I figured I would give it a shot, just removing the sidemarker diffusers.

Needless to say after looking at it after I got everything done, I am pretty impressed. Just waiting on my hyperwhite bulbs to come in now, and it will look even better. I like how the 06 lights have the chrome in there already, it looks better than ones I saw around that had been done without the chrome.

And while it isn't truly JDM authentic, it gives it a good look without spending 600+.

Tell me what you think.

Old 02-24-2007, 05:37 PM
Not Driving, Just Posting

they look good, but I think replacing the amber reflector with clear one would have looked pretty good too

and roxxor where are you located at??
Old 02-24-2007, 05:47 PM
in HKDM land!

looks ehhhh. personally like da amber or if yu really want that clear look, go wid smoked corners. right now, it reminds me of altezzas.

A+ on the DIY tho.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:58 PM
Instructor

So there is a difference between the sidemarker diffusers and the amber reflectors, they are 2 different things?
Old 02-24-2007, 07:05 PM
Where did my garage go?

i like it. it looks clean.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks too APC for me...

but then again i'm an amber fan...
Old 02-24-2007, 08:35 PM
Advanced.

OEM Amber is much better IMO. That look appears cheap to me. But hey, it's your car so as you see fit.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:41 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^ I rather spend money to buy the JDM headlights, or not do it at all. Looks too ghetto, and the chrome just makes the car look cheap, like those ricer Civic taillights. Maybe tinting it will be better
Old 02-24-2007, 09:43 PM
Have camera, will travel

It's not for me, but kudos for the DIY. That and you're car is now unique, which is cool.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:40 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
ahhh.. You finally did it huh? I personally dont like it but have you thought about smoked out sidemarker?
Old 02-25-2007, 01:50 AM
Instructor

I thought about the smoked, but I'm waiting to see what the new 168 bulbs look like.

I thought about getting rid of the amber turn signal as well, but decided to keep it so it wouldn't be totally chromed out, adds a little touch to it...
Old 02-25-2007, 02:22 AM
Instructor

i think it might look good with this:

blue film on the headlights.

not sure if it'll burn the film though.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:40 AM
Senior Moderator

I for one think you did the right think by keeping the amber turn signal diffusers. Otherwise, you've introduced a huge air gap into the front of the housing, potentially allowing in moisture. It also prevents the bulb from being 'naked' in there which looks bad imo.

Nice diy!
Old 02-25-2007, 10:48 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by fadinglionhart
i think it might look good with this:

blue film on the headlights.

not sure if it'll burn the film though.

That looks great.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:20 AM
B A N N E D

how much to do my head lights ;D
Old 02-25-2007, 12:34 PM
Instructor

It really isn't that hard to do by yourself, I think this was the easiest thing I've done outside of changing out my bulbs.

** I take no responsibility for anything that happens while attempting this. These are the steps I used and they worked. Perform this at your own risk**

- 1. Remove bumper. Details for the bumper can be found here:
http://www.handa-accessories.com/tsx/08V31.pdf

- 2. To remove the headlights, remove the two top bolts, the one side bolt, and one bolt underneath(the bottom one is the b**** to get to unless you have an extender in your socket set)

- 3. Remove the ballast, and all bulbs/rubber seals from the assembly. I didn't mess with taking out the metal clamps that hold the bulbs in place as they won't get messed up, just make sure the rubber seals and all parts of the low beam/hid and the high beam are removed.

- 4. Preheat your oven to 200F. Get an oven sheet, preferably a solid one, not a rack, and place a small towel just big enough for the sheet in the center.

- 5. Depending on oven size you may have to mess with this to get it to fit right, but: Place headlight on the sheet and put in the oven for about 20-22 minutes.

- 6. When time is up, quickly remove the headlight and put it on a solid surface to work on that won't get messed up by the heat. Using a flat head screwdriver/your fingers, pull up on all the retaining tabs so as not to break them. Then using the flat head screwdriver, begin to pry the headlight apart starting at the pointy end. The sealant should be warm enough that it will begin to pull apart, you will just have to deal with gooey sealant on your hands. FYI: I did not completely separate the two halves, if you are only removing the side reflector then you can get to the screws without taking it completely apart

- 7. Once you have it split enough, you will see the two screws that hold the side reflector and chrome housing in place. Remove the screws, and remove the chrome housing. Then slide the amber reflector out and over the tab that holds it in place in the corner of the light. Replace the chrome housing, and screw it back in place. Make sure you get the end of it over the tab in the corner of the assembly, or it will not stay in place.

- 8. Immediately begin to press the assembly back together, and start to push the retaining tabs back over the posts in order to hold the headlight together. Put the headlight back in the oven at 200F for about 8-10 minutes.

- 9. When time is up, take the headlight out and using a spring clamp set, find various points around the headlight to clamp together and put them on. I left these on for varying amounts of time since I was doing other things, but 10-15 minutes should be enough.

- 10. After the headlight assembly has sufficiently cooled down, reinstall all bulbs/rubber seals/ballast.

- 11. Reinstall headlight, then when done with both, reinstall bumper.

Done. Some other things to remember:

- Common sense, but remember not to touch any of the bulbs at any time. Grease/oil may collect on the light causing it to malfunction later on.

- If possible, the time you need to work the fastest it once you split open the assembly. The faster you work, the warmer the sealant will still be when you go to push the assembly back together. I know my first one was a little slow, but the second one I was able to knock out a lot quicker since I knew where it was the second time.

- Overall total time took me about 2-2 1/2 hours including bumper removal/reassembly.

- For those who might be paranoid like I was about putting a towel in the oven, it really didn't do anything. Of course I sat there the entire time watching to make sure nothing caught on fire, which I recommend unless you feel comfortable leaving a towel in a 200F oven without supervision...
Old 02-25-2007, 12:40 PM
Instructor

DIY Instructions

It really isn't that hard to do by yourself, I think this was the easiest thing I've done outside of changing out my bulbs.

** I take no responsibility for anything that happens while attempting this. These are the steps I used and they worked. Perform this at your own risk**

Tools I used:
- Flathead screwdriver(for bumper clips/prying apart the assembly)
- Fat Phillips head screwdriver(For removing the HID ballast and part of the internal assembly for the HID, and the amber reflectors)
- Oven sheet/Small towel
- 10mm Socket with extension(for the bumper bolts)
- 6 pc spring clamp set(Sears sells these for sure, other place do as well)
- Slotted Oven rack(Used to work on headlight outside of the oven. NOTE: DO NOT use this to put the headlight in the oven as you risk the towel falling through and catching on fire)

- 1. Remove bumper. Details for the bumper can be found here:
http://www.handa-accessories.com/tsx/08V31.pdf

- 2. To remove the headlights, remove the two top bolts, the one side bolt, and one bolt underneath(the bottom one is the b**** to get to unless you have an extender in your socket set)

- 3. Remove the ballast, and all bulbs/rubber seals from the assembly. I didn't mess with taking out the metal clamps that hold the bulbs in place as they won't get messed up, just make sure the rubber seals and all parts of the low beam/hid and the high beam are removed.

- 4. Preheat your oven to 200F. Get an oven sheet, preferably a solid one, not a rack, and place a small towel just big enough for the sheet in the center.

- 5. Depending on oven size you may have to mess with this to get it to fit right, but: Place headlight on the sheet and put in the oven for about 20-22 minutes.

- 6. When time is up, quickly remove the headlight and put it on a solid surface to work on that won't get messed up by the heat. Using a flat head screwdriver/your fingers, pull up on all the retaining tabs so as not to break them. Then using the flat head screwdriver, begin to pry the headlight apart starting at the pointy end. The sealant should be warm enough that it will begin to pull apart, you will just have to deal with gooey sealant on your hands. FYI: I did not completely separate the two halves, if you are only removing the side reflector then you can get to the screws without taking it completely apart

- 7. Once you have it split enough, you will see the two screws that hold the side reflector and chrome housing in place. Remove the screws, and remove the chrome housing. Then slide the amber reflector out and over the tab that holds it in place in the corner of the light. Replace the chrome housing, and screw it back in place. Make sure you get the end of it over the tab in the corner of the assembly, or it will not stay in place.

- 8. Immediately begin to press the assembly back together, and start to push the retaining tabs back over the posts in order to hold the headlight together. Put the headlight back in the oven at 200F for about 8-10 minutes.

- 9. When time is up, take the headlight out and using a spring clamp set, find various points around the headlight to clamp together and put them on. I left these on for varying amounts of time since I was doing other things, but 10-15 minutes should be enough.

- 10. After the headlight assembly has sufficiently cooled down, reinstall all bulbs/rubber seals/ballast.

- 11. Reinstall headlight, then when done with both, reinstall bumper.

Done. Some other things to remember:

- Common sense, but remember not to touch any of the bulbs at any time. Grease/oil may collect on the light causing it to malfunction later on.

- If possible, the time you need to work the fastest it once you split open the assembly. The faster you work, the warmer the sealant will still be when you go to push the assembly back together. I know my first one was a little slow, but the second one I was able to knock out a lot quicker since I knew where it was the second time.

- Overall total time took me about 2-2 1/2 hours including bumper removal/reassembly.

- For those who might be paranoid like I was about putting a towel in the oven, it really didn't do anything. Of course I sat there the entire time watching to make sure nothing caught on fire, which I recommend unless you feel comfortable leaving a towel in a 200F oven without supervision...
Old 02-27-2007, 06:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Nice write-up. Looking forward to seeing your lights in person. Like someone else mentioned earlier, it may look good with the light blue RB tint. Not to mention the protection of 17mil plastic. You will see them on my ride.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:47 PM
Instructor

Got the new bulbs in today, here are the pics. Sidemarkers at night pics didn't come out as well as I wanted, I'll get some better ones another time. Also, got my new H11 MTEC fog bulbs as well.

And the spots you see are water spots, damn neighbors with their sprinkers that backspray onto anything in the driveway

Old 02-27-2007, 10:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Just a heads up about those MTEC bulbs... I had a pair too (in yellow, 3000k) and this is what 1 looked like after about 10 minutes:

Kaput. Dead. Crapola. Maybe I just got a bad set, but it could say something about their quality.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:32 PM
Instructor

I am not an amber corner fan at all....i have black 06, and it is more amber than 04-05.....gotta get jdm headlight soon....
Old 02-28-2007, 12:29 AM
New to Modding Cars

i wonder what it would look like if you tint the corners.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:27 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Def. props for the mod but not my cup of tea.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:39 AM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by roxxor
I thought about the smoked, but I'm waiting to see what the new 168 bulbs look like.

I thought about getting rid of the amber turn signal as well, but decided to keep it so it wouldn't be totally chromed out, adds a little touch to it...
You know that once you take that amber turn singal off..you cant put it back.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:33 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
You know that once you take that amber turn singal off..you cant put it back.
why can't you put it back???
Old 09-02-2009, 12:20 PM
Special-K

It doesnt look ghetto... it looks good man. It looks more like chorme side markers.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
it looks a lot better than regular oem, but i would just buy jdm headlights or knock offs on ebay, like i did =]
Old 09-08-2009, 10:00 AM
21 ILX ABP

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
get the fishcake headlights, great quality and cleared out.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
The car looks really nice. Saves money by DIY. Anyone know where I can get the real JDM cleared headlights and not the knockoffs? I spent at least an hour looking for them. I dunno, maybe I'm just special and didn't see it.