Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 05:07 PM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
trust me it does. lol i read my ETM
Old 12-10-2007, 02:15 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What exactly is the final result of this mod? I realize that the fog lights work independently afterwards, so if I understand correctly the only changes are...

• you can turn the fog lights on while the car is turned off
• you can turn the fog lights on with the daytime running lights

Am I right about that? And does the fog light indicator on the dash still work okay after this mod?

Also, any chance I could see some pics of the final result, not so close up? I'd like to see if I think having the fog lights on makes a big enough difference to go to all this work.

Great compilation DIY guide by clee109 and the contributors! Nice job. I get a real good sense of community and support in this thread. You all rock!
Old 12-10-2007, 10:19 PM
I Quit

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Comp-Sci
What exactly is the final result of this mod? I realize that the fog lights work independently afterwards, so if I understand correctly the only changes are...

• you can turn the fog lights on while the car is turned off
• you can turn the fog lights on with the daytime running lights

Am I right about that? And does the fog light indicator on the dash still work okay after this mod?

Also, any chance I could see some pics of the final result, not so close up? I'd like to see if I think having the fog lights on makes a big enough difference to go to all this work.

Great compilation DIY guide by clee109 and the contributors! Nice job. I get a real good sense of community and support in this thread. You all rock!
yes, you can run the fogs with the running lights regardless of the headlights being on. If you use tookie's method and only work with the blue/white wire you can turn the fogs on regardless of the running lights as well. However the foglights will not auto off like they would if you run a tap to the parking lights. The fog light icon will no longer light up regardless of what method you use. IMHO it was worth the time and effort for this mod, alot of TSX'ers look at mine with the fogs on with just running lights with that look of "did I see that in the manual" lol. Also it serves as a great DRL set up on those early morning/evening or stormy days.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:36 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the info clee109. I think I may just have to take a shot at this. I'm always up for a cheap mod. Unfortunately, I'll either have to wait until spring or take a trip up to the cottage where I actually have a garage that I can pull into.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:09 PM
Advanced

Anyone know if it's possible to do this mod (fog lights on when parking lights on, auto off if left on) and still have the fog light indicator on the instrument cluster work properly?
Old 12-13-2007, 11:01 PM
I Quit

Originally Posted by neocrynym
Anyone know if it's possible to do this mod (fog lights on when parking lights on, auto off if left on) and still have the fog light indicator on the instrument cluster work properly?
Nope I don't think anyone has found that out. Perigrine from the other site was the originator of this mod and I don't think that even he has found a way to keep the fog indicator on
Old 12-14-2007, 12:01 AM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by clee109
Nope I don't think anyone has found that out. Perigrine from the other site was the originator of this mod and I don't think that even he has found a way to keep the fog indicator on
is this the same way peregrine does it too?
I was trying to recover his thread.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:30 AM
I Quit

Originally Posted by lcrazyaznl
is this the same way peregrine does it too?
I was trying to recover his thread.
Yes, exactly the same, I just took a bunch of pics and formed this tutorial to help out more than his drawn diagrams. But it is identical.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts

MY mod for the fogs involved a separate honda OEM pushbutton fog switch and separate relay. This allowed the same workings as THIS mod, but not affect the stock switch and fog dash light. MY way did not involve cutting any wire, but probably was a bit more complex as I had to wire the dash switch which illuminates with the other dash lights. I like having a extra switch in that panel on the left side of the dash where the sunroof switch is located.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:10 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dwest1023
MY mod for the fogs involved a separate honda OEM pushbutton fog switch and separate relay. This allowed the same workings as THIS mod, but not affect the stock switch and fog dash light. MY way did not involve cutting any wire, but probably was a bit more complex as I had to wire the dash switch which illuminates with the other dash lights. I like having a extra switch in that panel on the left side of the dash where the sunroof switch is located.
Hhmmm, care to post a pic of said switch? Also, if you have this separate switch over where the sunroof/VSA switches are, then did you take out the stalk on the steering column that controls the fogs/headlights/parking lights and replace it with a plane-jane stalk that only controls headlights/parking lights?
Old 12-19-2007, 02:24 PM
10th Gear

very very nice writeup !!
Thanx..

But it saves you alot of time if you just buy a remote fog-light switch ?

like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REMOT...spagenameZWDVW

Got that in my old car, and worked as a charm..
Also nice to use as a "walk home light" function..

Cheers
Old 12-19-2007, 02:41 PM
Burning Brakes

how does the indicator light behave after doing this mod clee's way?

i'm guessing that the indicator doesn't come on when the lights are at the parking light (& now fog light) status but DOES come on when the headlights (AND fogs) are on. is this correct?

also, has anyone figured out a way to get the fogs to stay on with high-beams? i can imagine getting some hyper-yellow H1 high beams and having my h9 hyper-yellow fogs on at the same time. that'd be some good visibility!

clee, i'm beginning to get excited about the fog mod again! might need your help
Old 12-19-2007, 03:53 PM
10th Gear

You are not supposed to drive with fog-light + high beam..
Then the point of "fog" beam is gone..

Fog lights does only give you low beam horisontal 40cm above the ground.
And that is becouse you not is supposed to get blinded of the FOG.

So if you have high-beam togheter with the fog, the hole idea of fog beam is gone :P

And if you consider to se "more" with fog beam togheter with high beam (driving fast with no fog) that is no good at all..
Becouse the fog beam will light up the ground in front of you, and hurt your night-vison to your eye

Hope that give you any idea of the purpose of the fog lights..
Old 12-19-2007, 04:06 PM
10th Gear

btw:

If you want high beams that make you nigh to DAY !!
THIS is what you want :

That is 2x Xenon OEM low-beams
2x OEM h1 high beams modded to xenon
And 3x Bosch Big-Knick High beam pencil beams

(DONT talk about that YOU dont need it, I live in Norway.. And I have 23 hours of total darkness 4months all winter)
Old 12-19-2007, 04:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by liteglow
You are not supposed to drive with fog-light + high beam..
Then the point of "fog" beam is gone..

Fog lights does only give you low beam horisontal 40cm above the ground.
And that is becouse you not is supposed to get blinded of the FOG.

So if you have high-beam togheter with the fog, the hole idea of fog beam is gone :P

And if you consider to se "more" with fog beam togheter with high beam (driving fast with no fog) that is no good at all..
Becouse the fog beam will light up the ground in front of you, and hurt your night-vison to your eye

Hope that give you any idea of the purpose of the fog lights..
i never mentioned using fogs and highs DURING fog. of course high beams are terrible in fog. i'm talking about clear conditions.

and as far as light hurting your night vision.... the purpose of having the road lit up in front of you is to eliminate the NEED for night vision. therefore i don't see how having the road way in front of you and the road right in front of you lit up is a bad thing.

if you're worried about your night vision, then YOU'VE got the wrong kind of lights on your car, as red light is the easiest on your night vision. not blindingly bright white light.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:22 PM
10th Gear

Sorry if you did missunderstand me (and I you first.)

But the purpose of the high beam is to lift the light pattern UP and away from the front of your car
Faster you are driving, more the need to se further is needed !
That`s why fog lighs will give light that have no purpose for you who is in the car.
As the fog lighs only shine 20meeter in front of you car.
Driving at 60mph you only se 1second in front of you with the fog

and when I talk about night-vision.
The fog will blind your eye when they light directly in front of your car.
But the high beam will only give you light where you need it.
High UP and further away from the car as you need it when driving fast

But dont get me wrong, as maybe "you" have other need as the roads from where I live is diffrent from you.

(sorry for some bad english)
Old 12-19-2007, 05:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Sorry if you did missunderstand me (and I you first.)

But the purpose of the high beam is to lift the light pattern UP and away from the front of your car
Faster you are driving, more the need to se further is needed !
That`s why fog lighs will give light that have no purpose for you who is in the car.
As the fog lighs only shine 20meeter in front of you car.
Driving at 60mph you only se 1second in front of you with the fog

and when I talk about night-vision.
The fog will blind your eye when they light directly in front of your car.
But the high beam will only give you light where you need it.
High UP and further away from the car as you need it when driving fast

But dont get me wrong, as maybe "you" have other need as the roads from where I live is diffrent from you.

(sorry for some bad english)
no worries. but i still don't understand how having the car lit right in front of me is HURTING my vision.

true, it may not help much, as what's lit by the fogs will be too close to do anything about, but it would be full coverage of light (in theory).
Old 12-20-2007, 10:21 AM
10th Gear

If you drive like one hour alone on a road with no road-lights.
And you only use your high beam most of the time.
The eye get used to the weak light that is outside (togheter with the "high" high beams)

But if you use the fog togheter with your high beams.
The fog light will shine directly in front of the car.
And that light will reflect back to you, and blind the night vision .
(Well it`s not MUCH blinded you get, but if you talk about driving a long time in the winter.. the white road will blind your eye)
Just tell you so you can think about it next night when you use fog+high beams
They dont give any help..

But in the day light fog is more nice to use than low beams
And the if you use fog they save the OEM xenon ...

Have a nice Christmas
Old 12-22-2007, 02:48 PM
I Quit

Originally Posted by ruffellprefley
how does the indicator light behave after doing this mod clee's way?

i'm guessing that the indicator doesn't come on when the lights are at the parking light (& now fog light) status but DOES come on when the headlights (AND fogs) are on. is this correct?

also, has anyone figured out a way to get the fogs to stay on with high-beams? i can imagine getting some hyper-yellow H1 high beams and having my h9 hyper-yellow fogs on at the same time. that'd be some good visibility!

clee, i'm beginning to get excited about the fog mod again! might need your help
When you do it my way which is originally MLTK's way and Peregrine from the other forum before him the fog indicator light DOES NOT come on regardless of what lights you have on. However; they will auto shut off when you close your door if you set your lights to auto off through the MID =)
Old 12-24-2007, 05:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Hhmmm, care to post a pic of said switch? Also, if you have this separate switch over where the sunroof/VSA switches are, then did you take out the stalk on the steering column that controls the fogs/headlights/parking lights and replace it with a plane-jane stalk that only controls headlights/parking lights?

I will see if I can get a pic. The OEM stalk is still on the car. Both OEM switch and my switch work. I can can use one or the other,except the honda switch works with the parking lights and high beams. The OEM works as usual.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:33 PM
I Quit

I take back my previous comment, the fog light icon on the gauges does come on when the headlights are on. I just haven't actually paid attention in so long. However; without the headlights on and the fog lights on with parking lights only, the fog icon does not come on.
Old 12-25-2007, 05:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Old 12-25-2007, 10:58 PM
Instructor

btw:

If you want high beams that make you nigh to DAY !!
THIS is what you want :

That is 2x Xenon OEM low-beams
2x OEM h1 high beams modded to xenon
And 3x Bosch Big-Knick High beam pencil beams

(DONT talk about that YOU dont need it, I live in Norway.. And I have 23 hours of total darkness 4months all winter)

damn lol hey man care to do a little vid ... u know everything dark then bam. u turn on the sun lol...
Old 12-28-2007, 01:02 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dwest1023
Very nice! My stock stalk (the one that controls headlights and fogs) is all fubared, so I was thinking of getting the switch you have instead of the same stalk again. I like the idea of filling those voids near the sunroof/VSA switches.

Where did you get that switch? Thanks.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:30 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ruffellprefley
no worries. but i still don't understand how having the car lit right in front of me is HURTING my vision.

true, it may not help much, as what's lit by the fogs will be too close to do anything about, but it would be full coverage of light (in theory).

In dark conditions, when you need those far reaching high beams, you want your pupils to open up so that they can receive as much of what little light is available to help you see further down the road. Lighting up the road right in front of the car fools your eyes into thinking it's nice and bright out there, and so the pupils will not open as much and you will not see things far away that are not as brightly lit up. Plus, there's the contrast of what's well lit and bright right in front of you and what's relatively dim and far away, and the difficulty your eyes will have adjusting between the two.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:59 PM
I Quit

^^^ok people are reading way to far into this. Rewiring the fogs is not for better visibility or worse visibility. It's simply aesthetics. It is nice on a rainy days to have something other than your parking lights on to alert other drivers without wasting away your HID's which are by far more pricey than some simple halogen fog replacements. This isn't science class people!
Old 01-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Instructor

Since there is already a write up for this, I won't bother with that. But I did find that there is an easier way to run the wire through the firewall. It's located in front of the fusebox under the dash and it's where all the wires are already running through. The rubber is hard but you can just push it to the side with a screwdriver and push a zip tie taped to your wire through it. here is some pics from my mod today. Total it took me 30 min start to finish to do this mod. i'm very happy with it.

If anyone needs help, pm me. Also maybe we could ammend all these pictures and how to onto the first post. ?
Old 03-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Advanced

Can anyone clarify what tools / materials / wires do I need for this mod? From readong the DIY, it seems I need to some additional splice, heat shrinks, and extension wires. What else is there?
Old 03-09-2008, 08:04 PM
I can't find my garage

here are the list of tools that i used:
soldering iron
electrical tape
18ga wire
wire cutter
Old 03-09-2008, 10:24 PM
I Quit

I used 16 gauge wire, 16 gauge splices from a stereo shop, heat shrink and some zip ties, oh not to mention wire cutters, hanger, and a screwdriver
Old 03-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Advanced

i think i got ripped off I paid 100 dollars for the fake ebay foglights apparently and i have someone that is electrically and mechanically inclined that says he can attempt it but he doesnt know in which direction to start with the wiring ? would this write up work for it also ??
the foglights came with a button that you put next to the vsa button
Old 03-24-2008, 08:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=nycxtsx05]i think i got ripped off I paid 100 dollars for the fake ebay foglights apparently and i have someone that is electrically and mechanically inclined that says he can attempt it but he doesnt know in which direction to start with the wiring ? would this write up work for it also ??

If your friend does not know how to "start the wiring" I'd say he is not to good. If you are going to use a seperate switch, use a 12 volt relay.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:05 AM
Advanced

[QUOTE=dwest1023]
Originally Posted by nycxtsx05
i think i got ripped off I paid 100 dollars for the fake ebay foglights apparently and i have someone that is electrically and mechanically inclined that says he can attempt it but he doesnt know in which direction to start with the wiring ? would this write up work for it also ??

If your friend does not know how to "start the wiring" I'd say he is not to good. If you are going to use a seperate switch, use a 12 volt relay.
Well he suggested i go to the forums and look for diy for the "fake" ebay foglights so that he doesnt have to take a bunch of time testing. i think he is just being cautious because he usually works on g35s apparently he is a reputable g35 forum member that helps out with the g35nyc scene. so my friend had him take a look.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:31 PM
Racer

k dumb questions -

Fogs still shut off when high beams are on?

When I lock my car with the car fob my lights will flash?

Fog light light on dash won't work?

Does the fog light switch still work to shut them on and off? Or is that option lost and they are just on??
Old 06-19-2008, 04:41 PM
Is waiting in

Originally Posted by EuroR08
k dumb questions -

Fogs still shut off when high beams are on?

When I lock my car with the car fob my lights will flash?

Fog light light on dash won't work?

Does the fog light switch still work to shut them on and off? Or is that option lost and they are just on??
The only dumb question is the one not asked.

Fogs are still on when you put the highbeams on.

It will flash along with your parklights when you press they keyfob.

The dashlight will not show the fogs being on unless you have the foglight switched on the stalk

A separate switch will help...
Old 06-19-2008, 05:46 PM
Racer

[QUOTE=rex.]
The dashlight will not show the fogs being on unless you have the foglight switched on the stalk
[QUOTE]

so the only function i lose is being able to shut them off and have my headlights on by themselves??
Old 06-19-2008, 06:20 PM
Use all 3 Pedals at once

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This has to be my next mod! LOL
Old 06-19-2008, 08:14 PM
I Quit

[QUOTE=EuroR08][QUOTE=rex.]

so the only function i lose is being able to shut them off and have my headlights on by themselves??
You can turn them on or off with the stock foglight switch, the foglight indicator comes on when you have your headlights on just like always. If you do it the way MLTK and myself did it the fogs will auto shut off when you shut your door like the parking lights do (you can set that up through the MID).

So direct answer, foglights will work identical as they do now with the benefit of being able to run them without the headlights being on and they'll flash when you lock/unlock your door.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:34 PM
Racer

If you do it the way MLTK and myself did it the fogs will auto shut off when you shut your door like the parking lights do (you can set that up through the MID).
how do u change it thru the MID?? I'm guessing it says somewhere in my giant owners maunal right?? haha
Old 06-19-2008, 09:31 PM
I Quit

Originally Posted by EuroR08
how do u change it thru the MID?? I'm guessing it says somewhere in my giant owners maunal right?? haha
When your remote is paired you can enter the settings by putting the key in the ignition and turning to the on position then hold the info button (or sel/reset can't remember) for 10 seconds and you can scroll through the menu and you'll see auto off headlights. What this does is when you turn your car off and shut the door it'll automatically turn off your headlights and parking lights.

If you follow the write up I did your fogs are hooked up to your parking lights, when the car automatically turns off the lights it'll shut your fogs off too. That way you wont wake up to a dead battery.

The way Tookie did it you'd have to remember to shut your fogs off every time you turn the car off, the way MLTK and myself did it when the parking lights are off so are the fogs.

Quick Reply: Finally rewired the fogs!