Finally rewired the fogs!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 04:21 PM
I Quit

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
did you maybe cut more than just the dark/black wire on the stalk harness?
Old 09-30-2007, 04:36 PM
I can't find my garage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
okai okai...seems like people have been having some trouble here while i was gone. lol let me try to firgure things out here and there
Old 09-30-2007, 04:38 PM
I can't find my garage

Originally Posted by vthree
.... while testing my relay i touched a + to a ground i think.. now my lights wont turn on.. =/ sigh.. lol big mistakeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeee any change anyone know what i need to replace? fuses all are good.... relay?
did you check all the fuses in both of the boxes? when u touch the + and the - together, u usually cause a shortage in the cirrcuit.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:46 PM
I can't find my garage

ok... so i just attempted to drive my car.. my turn signals also do not work now........
from all these littlee flaws im hearing. you must have just cut and connected the wrong wires. you must have cut the wrong wire, maybe the turn signal one in the column. and as for the parking lights functioning weird, you must have tapped in the wrong wires
Old 09-30-2007, 04:46 PM
Advanced

How about reconnecting everything back to the way it originally was? try using brand new wire?
Old 09-30-2007, 04:50 PM
I can't find my garage

Originally Posted by clee109
Ok tookie - thank you that makes much more sense. Last question, we have two orange/blue wires on the relay that are now cut. We run BOTH of them to the positive wire coming from one of the parking lights, presumably right at the parking light, correct?

2 orange/blue wires to 1 parking light positive wire, right?

It looks as though you achieved the task leaving that part out and just working with the blue/black wire.

My assumption then is that your fogs can turn on regardless of the parking light. But when you turn the car off, they will stay on and you need to shut them off to avoid draining the battery, right?
exactly! your correct. but many people suggest going the parking light route because you dont have to worry about turning it off and draining the battery. when tapped onto the parking lights, the fogs will automatically turn off along with it
Old 09-30-2007, 04:51 PM
I can't find my garage

Originally Posted by tookie
How about reconnecting everything back to the way it originally was? try using brand new wire?
yea you can try that route of putting every back to normal to figure out what exactly is the problem. but personally, i hate startin over. hah
Old 09-30-2007, 04:55 PM
I can't find my garage

woohoo! hey guys i did it! i'm so proud of myself. this is the cheapest modification i've done on the TSX (barely $5 for wire and electrical tape) but also the longest, most laborious and frustrating mod to date. The wiring was easy, hardest parts were taking the cover off the steering wheel column and pushing the wire through the firehole. i only cut the Blue/Black wire from the relay and connected it to the Blue/White wire from the light switch. so the fogs are now operating independent of all the other lights. that's it for today. maybe tomorrow or sometime later when i have time i'll connect it to the parklights.
thanks a bunch to MLKT and VTHREE This could not have been possible without you guys' assistance.
great to hear about your success. and youre welcome!
Old 09-30-2007, 04:59 PM
I can't find my garage

ok ok.. how about these.. i took more of my failure.. well before it was a failure.. i cant even use my norm fogs now.. im bout to just rewire everything back together... btw its airbag wire that came from the other tsx harness i had.. lol.
you kno, i can hardly make out anything from your pics. maybe a close up can be better
Old 09-30-2007, 05:27 PM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did that.. just spend 45 mins diong that..

i somehow cut the blue/orange wire. that we werent supposed to touch. the one parallel to the blue/yellow

can any of you please trace it back.. i only have one blue orange wire coming from the original set going up... making a total of 4 wires running to the relay. 2 blue/yellow 1 blue/black and 1 blue/orange... for now i decided to hook both the two blue orange wires i cut. to the 1 blue /orange running up... but then i have no where to connect the one that was parallel to the blue/yellow

please please please look at your setups!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i cant signal. nor turn on lowbeams/highbeams/ or even foglights...

however everytime my car is in the on position my parkinglights are on. and interior lights are dimmed..

i tested my relay in my 02 accord.. and it works fine. so didnt blow that.
also checked all the fuses in both locations.. everything works...

this really sucks because i have 2 tests on mon and tuesday.. have to pick up my sister from the airport tomorrow night.. and now i dont have a car to drive there.. unless i take my 1989 civic si... ugh. definitely wish this mod had been completed before i had attempted... i brought it up a long time ago... sigh.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:04 PM
2006 ASM tsx

once im through with this. i'm officially throwing in the towel on mods.. just cant do this anymore... i think i might try and pick up modding on my 89 si with lsvtec.... at least it wont be my dd..
Old 09-30-2007, 06:18 PM
Instructor

mltk53 , since it seems like you know how to do this with your eyes closed, can i buy you lunch to do my fog lights?
Old 09-30-2007, 06:32 PM
I Quit

Ok let me see if I can help mltk clear this all up and help out vthree:

Step 1:
Identify the fog light relay under the hood, it is attached to the fuse box above the air intake, then detach it and open it up to find this:

This is how your relay should look on an 06 UNMODIFIED, notice where mltk circled the three wires on tookie's pic. Orange/blue, Orange/blue, and blue/black on it's own.

2. Cut the blue/black wire at the relay and give yourself some space with it to work. Attach your extension wire into the car (preferably 18 gauge) to the blue/black wire you cut AT the relay.

*You should solder these wires together, however; I can't see why heatshrink and electrical tape together would not do the job and be much easier for us electrically illiterate.

3. Cut the 2 orange/blue wires circled in the picture. Now here is where it gets complicated:
The ends that are attached to the relay must be attached to another extension wire of it's own. Now take that extension wire and run it to the POSITIVE wire on one of the parking lights. You will see it coming right off the parking light bulb. You TAP the parking light positive wire, DO NOT CUT THE PARKING LIGHT WIRE!

4. Now you still have the other half of the orange/blue wires, CONNECT THOSE TOGETHER to complete the circuit.

5. Open up your steering column by fully extending and dropping the wheel and unscrew 3 phillips head screws undernethe and then firmly press inward on the top half sides and lift upwards.

6. Identify the light stalk harness and TAP DO NOT CUT the dark blue/white wire with your extension wire from the blue/black wire on the relay that you ran through the firewall.

7. TEST!

8. You should solder the wires even under the wheel, but again if you use a splice clip that you would see on a car stereo that should surfice and be easier IMO.

That's it! I have not done this yet but this is what I have compiled from all of the comments and I condensed it into a step by step guide to help.

Here is a drawn representation of the relay:

Thanks to mltk, tookie, and vthree for making this possible, thanks to peregrine from the doomed other site for the original tutorial and work.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:42 PM
Instructor

Would using something like this be a good idea to tap into wires?

Old 09-30-2007, 07:07 PM
Advanced

This should help somewhat too.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:12 PM
I Quit

lilasiian: yep those lil clips are exactly what I was talking about, thanks for providing a picture!

Tookie: coming through in the end with better pics! Hopefully once all the dust settles it'll finally make sense to everyone! I know your pics and mltk's pics and instructions deffinately made it make sense to me!
Old 09-30-2007, 09:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

clee, great write up. this seems easier than I originally though. I got lost here however:
3. Cut the 2 orange/blue wires circled in the picture. Now here is where it gets complicated:
The ends that are attached to the relay must be attached to another extension wire of it's own. Now take that extension wire and run it to the POSITIVE wire on one of the parking lights. You will see it coming right off the parking light bulb. You TAP the parking light positive wire, DO NOT CUT THE PARKING LIGHT WIRE!

how do you "tap" into the parking light wire without cutting it?

I also got lost here:
6. Identify the light stalk harness and TAP DO NOT CUT the dark blue/white wire with your extension wire from the blue/black wire on the relay that you ran through the firewall.

But it seems like the answer would be to the same question I asked above.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:19 PM
I Quit

CGTSX07 -

Notice the clips that lilasian posted pictures of? Those will allow you to "tap" the wires. Otherwise, you peel back a section of the insulation around the wire you wish to tap, and take the extension wire, wrap it around the wire you are tapping then solder over that and wrap in electrical tape.

Ummm let me see if I can it a bit more clear because my definition even confuses me lol.

1. Identify the parking light positive wire (you will two wires coming right off the bulb one + one -).

2. Peel the insulation off the parking light + wire, probably a few millimeters would suffice, just enough to wrap your extension wire around it.

3. Strip maybe 1/4" of the insulation off of the end of your extension wire for the parking light (the wire you ran in step 2 from the two orange/blue lines on the relay).

4. Wrap the uninsulated end of the extension wire around the positive parking light wire that you peeled the insulation off of in step 2.

5. Solder up this connection then wrap in electrical tape to seal off from water.

I hope that makes more sense, you'll do the same fir the stalk blue/black wire. This is shown in tookies picture which is used in step 6 of the write up.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:59 AM
I can't find my garage

oh wow. thank you clee109, much appreciation for your efforts of gathernig information for others to read and understand easier

and thank you too tookie for further helping to clarify info and helping others while i was away.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:03 AM
I can't find my garage

Originally Posted by CGTSX07
clee, great write up. this seems easier than I originally though. I got lost here however:

how do you "tap" into the parking light wire without cutting it?

I also got lost here:

But it seems like the answer would be to the same question I asked above.
technically, u can cut it. but i guess it is easier to just strip some of the insulation off and "tap" it in and covering it back up with some electrical tape
Old 10-02-2007, 02:04 AM
I can't find my garage

Originally Posted by lilasiian8
Would using something like this be a good idea to tap into wires?

you can use those, though it doesnt guarantee the best reliability, its still good enough
Old 10-02-2007, 06:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

any 06-07 owners find an easy way to route the extension into the steering wheel?
Old 10-02-2007, 12:10 PM
2006 ASM tsx

hey tuon or somebody with an 06. please look for me in the ETM i cnat find mine.......

i cannot turn on my headlights. brights. or even turn signals

but my hazards do work. and everytime i put my car in the on position my parking lights automatically come on... please respond asap.. sigh my birthday and i cant even drive my car at night =(.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^did you reconnect all the wires you cut at the stalk? I believe tookie mentioned that you shouldn't have cut any wires there.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:25 PM
I Quit

vthree- this is your problem, you CUT the dark blue/black wire on the stalk and just connected the extension to it, the blue/black wire MUST stay in tact and the extension wire simply taps into it.

Here's your pic of the stalk wire, notice how you cut it in half and just connect the extension wire to the one half, connect the other half of the dark blue/black wire to your exisiting set up.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:54 PM
2006 ASM tsx

i fixed that wire already. and took off all the wires i added...

however i cant find the two orange/blue wires..

regardless... before when i didnt have those two wires added.. my headlights etc worked...

since i touched the ground with the parkinglight.. i lost a lot..

and i've checked all my fuses and even the fog relay.. all work.

=(... i really need to drive tonight to the concerttttttttttt ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. i cant figure out what was shorted.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:33 PM
I Quit

hmmmm

so you touched the parking light ground with the extension wire from the fog relay (orange/blue)? have you check all fuses including those under the hood? Also the orange/blue wires may have slipped up into the electrical tape leading to the relay, peel back the tape and you should find them. Those HAVE to be hooked to something either eachother, the relay, or the parking lights for the lights to work.

On a last note, when you touched the ground wire did it spark? could you have possibly melted part of the wire? If that's the case you'll have to splice in some new wire.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:58 PM
I can't find my garage

regardless... before when i didnt have those two wires added.. my headlights etc worked...

=(... i really need to drive tonight to the concerttttttttttt ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. i cant figure out what was shorted.
like you literally cant find those wires? it must have fallen deeper into the harness.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:02 PM
I can't find my garage

also you should have also taken my suggestion of disconnecting the battery in to some consideration. if you think you shorted something and all the fuses look normal, then i dont know if i can help you and further but to suggest you to still change te fuses. but the first priority for you is to look for those two blue/orange wires; those are important.

Originally Posted by mltk53
if you did everything like the diagram, you should have no problem. also i would like to suggest disconnecting the battery for safety and precautionary issues
Old 10-02-2007, 06:06 PM
I can't find my garage

Originally Posted by CGTSX07
any 06-07 owners find an easy way to route the extension into the steering wheel?
what do you mean? getting it through the firewall?
Old 10-02-2007, 06:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^yeah, was wondering if there was an easier way instead of through the middle of the engine bay
Old 10-02-2007, 06:47 PM
I can't find my garage

^^
i found that there is a very tiny hole for this one wire, i ran mine through there because it was a bit closer to access to from under the drivers side, it located left of the firewall(view from inside of car facing forward). or you can try to drilling a hole
Old 10-02-2007, 07:13 PM
Advanced

why can't you just pop out the boot above teh brake pedal then pop it back in when ur done thats what i did......
Old 10-02-2007, 07:30 PM
I Quit

just pop the boot directly above the valve cover on the firewall, it's the easiest to fish a hanger through and it'll pop out above where the ECU is I believe. It's the easiest way to do it. On the other site there is a write up on installing an amp with pics, and they ran an amp power cable through it, so if it's big enough for that it's big enough for the wire. Just pop your hood and look straight at the firewall, can't miss it.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts

Sounds like to me, you took out the headlight rely. Check the fuses in the engine compartment too. You might have taken one of those fuses out too.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:46 PM
2006 ASM tsx

ok so update on my progress..... still no lights...

my fuses 10, 15 etc in under the hood fues box. are not getting any power...

when i direct power to those fuses. the headlight will turn on. and when i direct to the high beam that turns on.. however i still cant get my turn signals on due to the fact that i have no idea where the fuse for that is.. hazards do work....
Old 10-02-2007, 08:11 PM
Advanced

i hope u figure it out tonight. such bad timing. it sucks when something like that happens.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:14 PM
Advanced

ok so update on my progress..... still no lights...

my fuses 10, 15 etc in under the hood fues box. are not getting any power...

when i direct power to those fuses. the headlight will turn on. and when i direct to the high beam that turns on.. however i still cant get my turn signals on due to the fact that i have no idea where the fuse for that is.. hazards do work....
the cover of the fuse box should have the legend that shows what each fuse does, right?
Old 10-02-2007, 08:15 PM
2006 ASM tsx

so... looks like maybe my relay control module is out...
which is about only $500 to replace..
Old 10-02-2007, 08:18 PM
2006 ASM tsx

the cover of the fuse box should have the legend that shows what each fuse does, right?

oh ya each fuse is doing the right thing. except for the high beam fuse. is turning on both high beams regardless of the switch being pulled back or not.

Quick Reply: Finally rewired the fogs!