Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tookie
great! have a good night mltk
haha alright. you too
Old 09-29-2007, 02:28 AM
I can't find my garage

Originally Posted by mltk53
wth! i just caught a mistake! i said fuge box.Lol wth~ ill fix it later. i need to go back to grade school
Old 09-29-2007, 11:43 AM
Advanced

There are 3 blue/orange wires coming out of the relay. Which one do i cut?
I think you're only supposed to cut one of them right? here's the instruction from peregrine:

"The Blue/Orange wire splits and goes into 2 terminals of the fog lights relay. You have to disconnect the side of that wire that connects to relay’s coil. Coil terminals are opposite each other (marked in red below). Since we know the Blue/Black wire connects to the other side of the coil, you have to pick the Blue/Orange wire that is exactly opposite of the Blue/Black wire. A good test to make sure you have coil terminals is to apply + and – voltage to the opposite sides of the coil. If you hear a click every time you connect and disconnect voltage, that means the relay is working

i'm still confused.

Old 09-29-2007, 12:42 PM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ok ok.. how about these.. i took more of my failure.. well before it was a failure.. i cant even use my norm fogs now.. im bout to just rewire everything back together... btw its airbag wire that came from the other tsx harness i had.. lol.

Old 09-29-2007, 01:54 PM
Advanced

alrite i spent half an hour trying to take off the 2 cover pieces on the steering wheel column. all 3 screws under the column are removed. the cover is attached pretty good. what's the secret? how much force must be needed in order to do this because i just drained all the strength i had.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:15 PM
2006 ASM tsx

lol n00b. haha get the screws out.. then on the top. push IN. and pull up.. you can try to get one side off first. then the next if that helps. try not to break the tabs.. would suck a lot if you do.. of if you can dig in from the inside. and pull the top part out.. hope that helps..
Old 09-29-2007, 02:16 PM
2006 ASM tsx

sucks i dont have time to messs with this mod right now.. cuz i have to drive my car.. i hope you get it done tookie and snap pix so i can see where i went wrong..
Old 09-29-2007, 04:06 PM
I Quit

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
question:

Do you need to remove the steering column housing? It seems as though if the relay for the fogs is under the hood, wouldn't the wire from the switch on the steering column run out under the hood to the relay and you could simply cut and reconnect all the wires under the hood vs. running it back in through the firewall?
Old 09-29-2007, 04:17 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by vthree
lol n00b. haha get the screws out.. then on the top. push IN. and pull up.. you can try to get one side off first. then the next if that helps. try not to break the tabs.. would suck a lot if you do.. of if you can dig in from the inside. and pull the top part out.. hope that helps..
ok i got the cover out. tried it the way you said by pushing it hard on one side and the whole thing popped out. luckily no tabs broken. thanks. now there are 2 Blue/White wires coming out of the combination light switch. one is Dark Blue and the other is Light Blue. I think i'm supposed to connect to the Dark blue one right?
Old 09-29-2007, 04:40 PM
2006 ASM tsx

..... i tried the dark one. with no luck.... wanna try the light blue? .. actually i could double check my etm.. but im lazy and not too sure where it is.. =X
Old 09-29-2007, 05:05 PM
Advanced

how exactly can i run a wire from under the hood to inside the cabin? where is this firewall thingy? is there like a hole that i can stick the wire through from under the hood to the steering wheel area??
Old 09-29-2007, 05:13 PM
I can't find my garage

..... i tried the dark one. with no luck.... wanna try the light blue? .. actually i could double check my etm.. but im lazy and not too sure where it is.. =X
have you tapped it onto the parking lights yet? if you follow the diagram exactly, it should work
Old 09-29-2007, 05:16 PM
2006 ASM tsx

i tapped RIGHT into the parking light.. for sure the right wire..... lol.

tookie. theres a lil boot that you can pull off. if you head to the other site. check faq and do teh audio amp install. there' you'll see a pic of the boot!
Old 09-29-2007, 05:18 PM
I can't find my garage

Originally Posted by clee109
question:

Do you need to remove the steering column housing? It seems as though if the relay for the fogs is under the hood, wouldn't the wire from the switch on the steering column run out under the hood to the relay and you could simply cut and reconnect all the wires under the hood vs. running it back in through the firewall?
you kno, you actually have a great point. unfortunately though, i wasnt able to find the blue/white switch cable anywhere else in the harness. it was less of a struggle to just go directly to the column. plus, the great electrician pete did the same.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:22 PM
I can't find my garage

how exactly can i run a wire from under the hood to inside the cabin? where is this firewall thingy? is there like a hole that i can stick the wire through from under the hood to the steering wheel area??
there are many info about where the firewall is, left of the brake pedal, but i believe that those are for the 04/05's cuss some people here, like reach, and i were unable to find it in out 06+. people have made their own hole by drilling. but i was able to find a firewall; its more centered, behind the radio. its really hard to get to. you gotta twist your arm and stuff. also, i recommend using a long clothes hanging wire
Old 09-29-2007, 05:29 PM
I can't find my garage

ok i got the cover out. tried it the way you said by pushing it hard on one side and the whole thing popped out. luckily no tabs broken. thanks. now there are 2 Blue/White wires coming out of the combination light switch. one is Dark Blue and the other is Light Blue. I think i'm supposed to connect to the Dark blue one right?
it should be the darker blue of the two wires. a solid blue/white wire. oh and i forgot to mention, its a lot easier to take apart the steering wheel covers if its pulled out all the way and the leverage is pulled down
Old 09-29-2007, 05:31 PM
I can't find my garage

i tapped RIGHT into the parking light.. for sure the right wire..... lol.

tookie. theres a lil boot that you can pull off. if you head to the other site. check faq and do teh audio amp install. there' you'll see a pic of the boot!
if you did everything like the diagram, you should have no problem. also i would like to suggest disconnecting the battery for safety and precautionary issues
Old 09-29-2007, 05:44 PM
I can't find my garage

There are 3 blue/orange wires coming out of the relay. Which one do i cut?
I think you're only supposed to cut one of them right? here's the instruction from peregrine:

i'm still confused.
look.

you need to cut the two blue/orange wires that are together. try comparing it with the diagram
Old 09-29-2007, 05:46 PM
I Quit

ok clarification:

Notice the pick blue wire in the diagram that says "cut and connect" cut and connect to what???? Where you cut to run to the stalk do you just tape off that wire that is not connected to the stalk?
Old 09-29-2007, 05:47 PM
I can't find my garage

^^
pic doesnt show
Old 09-29-2007, 07:01 PM
2006 ASM tsx

hey mlt how bout some pix of yours?????? =)
Old 09-29-2007, 07:35 PM
I can't find my garage

^^
i would definately take pics of my setup but my car is in the shop right now. and its going to be there for a few weeks
Old 09-29-2007, 10:16 PM
Advanced

woohoo! hey guys i did it! i'm so proud of myself. this is the cheapest modification i've done on the TSX (barely $5 for wire and electrical tape) but also the longest, most laborious and frustrating mod to date. The wiring was easy, hardest parts were taking the cover off the steering wheel column and pushing the wire through the firehole. i only cut the Blue/Black wire from the relay and connected it to the Blue/White wire from the light switch. so the fogs are now operating independent of all the other lights. that's it for today. maybe tomorrow or sometime later when i have time i'll connect it to the parklights.
thanks a bunch to MLKT and VTHREE This could not have been possible without you guys' assistance.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:31 PM
Advanced

ok ok.. how about these.. i took more of my failure.. well before it was a failure.. i cant even use my norm fogs now.. im bout to just rewire everything back together... btw its airbag wire that came from the other tsx harness i had.. lol.

hey V, i think yours doesn't work is because you cut the darker Blue/White wire in the stalk???! it looks like it from your picture above. that's not supposed to be cut. the correct way is to just tap into the Blue/White with your extension wire from the relay's Blue/Black wire. maybe Mltk can clear it up further.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:54 PM
Racer

I ran through my electrical manual and here is what I think.
If you want to turn on your foglights without the parking light, don't cut the blue/orange wires at all. These wires are hot all the time.
If you cut them and connect to the parking light, what this does is it will only allow you to turn your foglights on if your parking light is on. (I guess the advantage of this is that it will automatically shut your foglight off if you leave them on)

for the blue/white wire, maybe we don't need to cut it.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:54 PM
I Quit

tookie - think you could post up some pics of your relay and stalk if you took pics though the process???? pretty please
Old 09-30-2007, 12:06 AM
Racer

Another alternative to connecting the blue/orange wires is to connect them to "Hot on Start" wire. This will let you turn them on when your car is started, and off when you turn your car off. This will not require you to use your parking light switch to turn the foglights on.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:08 AM
I Quit

Originally Posted by mltk53
here is a diagram of the relay.

you have to add some wires of your own to extend to connect to the parking ligths and to the switch(blue/white). you should solder these wires together, not with those plastic connectors
So here is what I understand:

1. Cut the blue/orange wires (2 of them) from the relay under the hood
2. Cut the blue/black wire on the relay (tookie's pic shows it just opposite to the 2 orange/blue wires)
3. Run an extension wire blue/black wire on the relay through the firewall and up the steering column.
4. Cut the DARK blue/white wire from the stalk harness
5. Connect the extension cable to the DARK blue/what wire from the stalk harness

now here is where I get lost:
We have cut the two orange/blue wires, but where do we connect them to??? See step 1, cut them, then we cut the blue/black that connects to the stalk. But we are left with the two orange/blue wires cut at the relay. Where do they go?
Old 09-30-2007, 12:27 AM
Racer

you connect the two orange/blue wires that were cut together.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:41 AM
Advanced

So here is what I understand:

1. Cut the blue/orange wires (2 of them) from the relay under the hood
2. Cut the blue/black wire on the relay (tookie's pic shows it just opposite to the 2 orange/blue wires)
3. Run an extension wire blue/black wire on the relay through the firewall and up the steering column.
4. Cut the DARK blue/white wire from the stalk harness
No, don't cut the dark blue/white wire from the stalk. nothing needs to be cut from the stalk. just tap the extension from the relay to this dark blue/white wire.

5. Connect the extension cable to the DARK blue/what wire from the stalk harness

now here is where I get lost:
We have cut the two orange/blue wires, but where do we connect them to??? See step 1, cut them, then we cut the blue/black that connects to the stalk. But we are left with the two orange/blue wires cut at the relay. Where do they go?

ok . in the relay, you cut the 2 orange/blue wires opposite the blue/black wire. this will give you 4 orange/blue ends correct? use an extension and connect the 2 ends ON the relay to the parklights. The other 2 ends just connect them to each other.
Extension from the stalk connecting to the cut Blue/Black wire in the relay.

Other end of the same extension tapped into the dark Blue/White wire in the stalk. Notice I didn't cut the dark blue/white wire. just peeled off the plastic in a little section and tapped in the extension.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:54 AM
2006 ASM tsx

woW TOOKIE i think ur right.. lemme go check. wow so glad i helped you help me! lol. i hope
Old 09-30-2007, 02:19 AM
2006 ASM tsx

hmm seems liek i have something WAY off.. lol ok i redid the blue/white wire in teh column.. now my parking lights are on.. anytime the car is in the on position... regardless if i even had the wire to the parking light hooked up.. odd....... i'll have to look more into it later tomorrow iguess
Old 09-30-2007, 11:00 AM
I Quit

Ok tookie - thank you that makes much more sense. Last question, we have two orange/blue wires on the relay that are now cut. We run BOTH of them to the positive wire coming from one of the parking lights, presumably right at the parking light, correct?

2 orange/blue wires to 1 parking light positive wire, right?

It looks as though you achieved the task leaving that part out and just working with the blue/black wire.

My assumption then is that your fogs can turn on regardless of the parking light. But when you turn the car off, they will stay on and you need to shut them off to avoid draining the battery, right?
Old 09-30-2007, 11:23 AM
2006 ASM tsx

.... while testing my relay i touched a + to a ground i think.. now my lights wont turn on.. =/ sigh.. lol big mistakeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeee any change anyone know what i need to replace? fuses all are good.... relay?
Old 09-30-2007, 11:27 AM
Advanced

Ok tookie - thank you that makes much more sense. Last question, we have two orange/blue wires on the relay that are now cut. We run BOTH of them to the positive wire coming from one of the parking lights, presumably right at the parking light, correct?

2 orange/blue wires to 1 parking light positive wire, right?
Yes that is how i see it from the diagrams.

It looks as though you achieved the task leaving that part out and just working with the blue/black wire.

My assumption then is that your fogs can turn on regardless of the parking light. But when you turn the car off, they will stay on and you need to shut them off to avoid draining the battery, right?
Yes. I wanted to minimize any cutting and rewiring and decided to just do that single extension to the stalk. The fogs act independently on their own regardless of parklights, headlights or high beam. Now i can turn everything on at the same time and blast the hell out of whoever flashes me because they think my headlights are highbeam.

Just need to turn them off when the car is off, which is not a hard thing to do since i have the habit of glancing back at my car everytime i walk away from it, plus the Hid fogs would be hard to miss even in daytime.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:33 AM
Advanced

.... while testing my relay i touched a + to a ground i think.. now my lights wont turn on.. =/ sigh.. lol big mistakeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeee any change anyone know what i need to replace? fuses all are good.... relay?
oh god what have you done?! looks like you've dug yourself into deeper mess. we need a real electrician in here.

does touching a + to a ground really mess up the system...? have u checked your connection again? do it exactly like i did, just the connection to the stalk. ignore the connection to the parklights for now.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:44 AM
2006 ASM tsx

ya i fixed it.. but my headlights brights.. wont turn on at all...
everytime iput car in on position or start it..

my parking lights autoatically turn on..... .................................................. ...........................
Old 09-30-2007, 11:58 AM
2006 ASM tsx

lol. i feel like my navi swap was easier to accomplish than this mod.. =(..
Old 09-30-2007, 03:30 PM
2006 ASM tsx

ok... so i just attempted to drive my car.. my turn signals also do not work now........

Quick Reply: Finally rewired the fogs!