Clear Bra - Autobahn Roadblock

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 01:13 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Clear Bra - Autobahn Roadblock

I got the bra installed on Saturday and I like it alot. Its damn near impossible to see actually.

Driver side mirror. Look closely at the top of the mirror and you'll see the line where the bra stops.

Driver side again.

Driver side front fender.

Its impossible to see right there..the sun was pretty bright though.

Section between the grill and driver side head light. You can see where it has to be cut out to fit in there.

Self explanatory. Look closely to see all the lines.

Driver side front fender. You can see how far it goes back on the fender and across the hood.

Driver side mirror again. You can see the whole thing pretty much.

Passenger side fender. You can see how it crosses the hood. You can't see it but it curves across instead of a straight line which i really like.

The section below the front license plate where the two pieces of the bra meet.

I'll get some better hood shots once the sun goes down more.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
looks good.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:07 PM
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 91 Posts
looks really good.. i got mine done saturday also...i have to take it back cause the front area on the bumper has alot of air bubbles...also i noticed that you have the foglight area covered...the guy told me it doesn't get covered...if you don't mind me asking...how much did it cost you all together? i'm gonna ask the guy for the foglights pieces when i take it back this weekend...for some reason i'm having "buyers remorse"...maybe since it cost alot...i'm sure i'll feel much better a few months from now when my front bumper & hood are free of rock chips...
Old 05-23-2006, 02:24 PM
Drifting

Definitely not cheap...It was $717 for front bumper, hood, air dam and back of side mirrors. I didn't mind spending the money though since it has a lifetime warranty against bubbles, tears and discoloring. My insurance company also covers it.

I asked the guy about the 3m vs this one and he basically said they go with the latest and greatest thing until something better comes out and can live up to the hype. He didn't disagree the 3m was good but he said the one i got is as thin as you can get and is still an awesome protector.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:29 PM
my acura sanctuary

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drigo, I have an 06 ASM and mine was $630 for the same installation as rza49311.
I can't see it in rza's photos but the hood diecut on mine is not a horizontal straight line. but looks like this:

-----------\ ___________/------------

and of course I got my first chip north of the dip.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:31 PM
my acura sanctuary

rza, likely you got headlights covered too.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:43 PM
Drifting

subdued : mine is just like rza's minus the foglight area...i'm gonna ask about it when they redo the air bubble area...did any of you guys have trouble with air bubbles? the guy told me that its like getting your windows tinted...you have to let it settle for a day or 2...well..it's been 3 days and the bubbles are still there...i paid $587 for mine...
Old 05-23-2006, 02:50 PM
Drifting

Headlights were extra so I didn't get them done.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:57 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by rza49311
Headlights were extra so I didn't get them done.
maybe you can check out rockblocker...he's a vendor for this site..its not like the clearbra but he has film for headlights and foglights
Old 05-23-2006, 02:58 PM
my acura sanctuary

Surprisingly I had absolutely no air bubbles since the first day of install.
(oh BTW, I am getting a new windshield tomorrow with just 1700k miles- one tiny rock
made a 12 inch crack...wish I had it on the windshield)
Old 05-23-2006, 04:33 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks good. I wish I had my hood kit installed before I left the dealership. They work well!
Old 05-23-2006, 05:15 PM
Instructor

Just a report from someone who’s had the Autobahnd Rockblocker film on his TSX since late November of 2004. The film becomes more visible over time because it doesn’t “age” the same way the uncovered paint does. Very gradually, it gets hazy with very fine scratches. I suspect that much of that scratching occurs during routine washing. (I wash my car – gently – by hand about once a week. I shudder to think about how the film would fare if subjected repeatedly to automatic car washes.) So now, after a year and a half, the piece of film you notice the most – the one on the front of the hood – is decidedly hazier than the adjacent uncovered paint. My advice is to treat the film gently, use a fine hand polish on it periodically to reduce the haziness, and put wax or a polymer sealant on it regularly (when you’re doing the same to the rest of the car).
(By the way, I only paid $325 for the full application: front of hood and front fenders, front bumper and mirrors. Evidently I got a very good price through the body shop that repaired my car after a late-night encounter with a deer. I had the film put on right after the damage – fortunately, relatively minor; only the front bumper had to be repainted – was fixed. At that point, I’d had the car for just about exactly one year and was plenty distressed about how many stone chips were dotting the hood and front bumper. In a way, the deer did me a favor: I might have hesitated to pull the trigger on a clear bra purchase had the body shop owner not urged me to protect the newly repainted bumper.)
Old 05-23-2006, 05:32 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rx280
Just a report from someone who’s had the Autobahnd Rockblocker film on his TSX since late November of 2004. The film becomes more visible over time because it doesn’t “age” the same way the uncovered paint does. Very gradually, it gets hazy with very fine scratches. I suspect that much of that scratching occurs during routine washing. (I wash my car – gently – by hand about once a week. I shudder to think about how the film would fare if subjected repeatedly to automatic car washes.) So now, after a year and a half, the piece of film you notice the most – the one on the front of the hood – is decidedly hazier than the adjacent uncovered paint. My advice is to treat the film gently, use a fine hand polish on it periodically to reduce the haziness, and put wax or a polymer sealant on it regularly (when you’re doing the same to the rest of the car).
Amen!!! The film may get hazy, but you won't have big rock chips in your sweet factory paint. Have it removed and replaced every few years or just remove it to uncover a brand new front end after a few years when you go to sell it. Well worth it IMO.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:24 PM
Canuck

I saw a silver E class with a clear bra today. The car was probably a 1997. The clear bra was yellow and crusty from old age.

One of my best friend's who's an assiant manager at an Infiniti that does the 3M clear bra sugguests to replace it every few years.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:44 PM
Drifting

The installer told me to polish it once a month. He swears by liquid glass he said but i haven't decided yet what i want to try on it. Also, I wonder if they are still using the exact same film they were using in 2004, possibly they have a newer type to install nowadays? Thats the impression I got from what he said. Also, my car is garage kept so i'm hoping that will prolong the life of the bra as well.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:15 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by rza49311
The installer told me to polish it once a month. He swears by liquid glass he said but i haven't decided yet what i want to try on it. Also, I wonder if they are still using the exact same film they were using in 2004, possibly they have a newer type to install nowadays? Thats the impression I got from what he said. Also, my car is garage kept so i'm hoping that will prolong the life of the bra as well.
yes lets hope that they use a different type of film by now ..i guess in due time we'll find out if it turns colors on us...but even if it does after a few years..i'd rather have it do that than have a million rock chips all over my hood and bumper...
Old 05-23-2006, 10:25 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My bra is about a year old and it still looks like it did when I first had it installed. I already vow to never own another car without it. My dad's TL is destroyed on the front end because he didn't have the bra installed. That's a mistake he will never make again...
Old 05-23-2006, 11:49 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sclass88
My bra is about a year old and it still looks like it did when I first had it installed. I already vow to never own another car without it. My dad's TL is destroyed on the front end because he didn't have the bra installed. That's a mistake he will never make again...
thats good to hear..i'm expecting at least a few years out of mine...by the way...which brand of clearbra do you have?
Old 05-24-2006, 11:36 AM
Have camera, will travel

Well, I guess if you can't really see it, it's doing its job
Old 05-25-2006, 09:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by drigo
subdued : mine is just like rza's minus the foglight area...i'm gonna ask about it when they redo the air bubble area...did any of you guys have trouble with air bubbles? the guy told me that its like getting your windows tinted...you have to let it settle for a day or 2...well..it's been 3 days and the bubbles are still there...i paid $587 for mine...
I got 3M, and my guy told me it could take up to 3 full weeks of sun to get ALL of the spots out. And it did. Now it looks fantastic.