Another Mod Complete . . . Painted Calipers . . .

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 12:42 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Mod Complete . . . Painted Calipers . . .

So I got some black caliper paint from Pep Boys and Acura decals from a member on "the other site" and some other supplies and tackled this mod with some friends. Overall it took 3 days due to time and some other issues.

Day One:

So day one my friend came over with a jack and jack stands. We jacked up the front since he wasn't able to figure out how to get his jack to lift the rear high enough. We used the caliper cleaner that came with the caliper paint kit and scrubbed the calipers with a wire brush. After that we masked the calipers and painted them. It was pretty simple from there, though the brush that came with the kit pretty much fell apart as all the bristles came off during the painting. So we went off got some lunch and new brushes and finished painting the calipers. Each coat we gave about 15 mins in between. Except for the coat we put on before leaving since we were gone for about an hour or so. So after we finished painting all the coats(Which was about 4), we applied the caliper decal. After that we finished it off with a couple of coats of clear engine enamel. Although on one side, the decals kinda messed up in the letter R cuz we sprayed too close. But it isn't really too noticeable from afar. So once we did that my friends decided to call it day on caliper painting since we had a weekly Concept In Motion Meet to go to.

Day 2:

So a week later after we did the front two, I decided to tackle the rears by myself using the OEM jack. It all seemed well . . . but once I was done adding the coats, it came out too thick. So my friend came over, they scraped some off and we went to that weeks Concept In Motion meet. So upon returning home I decided to try again. Due to lack of sandpaper and a open store, my friend suggested I use a rock. So I "sanded" off the messed up paint as best as I could using the rock. Then I tried again paining, however towards the end of the process one of the lights in my garage died so I had to continue painting with aid of a flashlight, yet again it came out too thick. So today I scraped off the paint again using the rock. Then attempted to paint it again, but again it came out too "thick". So I said f' it and did the other side. Cleaned it, painted it, decaled it, and clear coated it and it came out fine. So my friend came over and helped out a bit on the side which kept getting messed up. At some point(I can't remember) the brush I was using the metal part and the bristles came detached from the stick (while I was painting no less) so my friend took the masking tape and taped it today. We painted it all fine and it looked ok(although he says it had some weird stucco texture). So we waited for it to dry to put the caliper decal on. Though for some odd reason the paint was still soft and stayed soft for a while. Even when we finally put on the decal it was still soft in some areas. So we put the decal on and clear coated it. After he left I attempted to touch up parts in the front caliper that kinda "chipped" off. Which due to time constraints on my part was done through the wheel. Which almost sucked because paint dripped on the wheel, but luckily I wiped it off and used some rubbing alcohol and it was all removed. So at that point I cleaned up and called it day on caliper painting O_o.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:37 AM
Pro

Your Tire is flat

J/K

Looks good man Im doing my in red
Old 08-26-2007, 01:52 AM
Cruisin'

looks great. much like tl's
Old 08-26-2007, 01:49 PM
Have camera, will travel

Nice job!
Old 08-26-2007, 02:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good turnon Maybe when we have a Bay Area meet or something you might be able to help me out with doing the same
Old 08-26-2007, 07:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by kaliraver69
Looks good turnon Maybe when we have a Bay Area meet or something you might be able to help me out with doing the same
actually the sn is "turon" after the name of a Filipino desert . . . but more importantly I dunno if you want my help . . . I mean I did have to paint one caliper about 4 different times(which if you add up the time was like around 8-16 hours give or take, I really lost track) until it sorta looked alright O_o . . .
Old 08-26-2007, 08:50 PM
Instructor

good job
Old 08-26-2007, 09:14 PM
Mugen CL9

good job - looks good