After 6 hours of claying.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005 | 02:41 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Originally Posted by joerockt
Point taken, but if its visiable, I still dont think claying is the right method. Alcohol/water, wd40, bug/tar remover are all products that can remove the visiable stuff a lot quicker then scrubbing it with clay.
Not if the visible stuff is stuck IN the clearcoat.

Think of throwing a screwdriver into the ground... some sticks up out of the ground, but the pointy part is stuck in the ground.

You could mow your lawn and chop the part off that's above the ground (theoretically, LOL), but the part stuck in the ground is still there...

The clay will grab the screwdriver by the handle and pull it directly out, leaving no part of the screwdriver behind.

Steps:
1. Wash w/ soap and wax remover (or Dawn dish soap as it does both)
2. Dry thoroughly.
3. Clay bar
4. Polish / Sealer / Glaze
5. Wax or Polymer Sealant (like NXT Tech).
6. Final detail wipe with microfiber cloth and an instant detailing spray to bring out that last bit of shine.

~Eric
Old 06-20-2005 | 04:23 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by curls

Think of throwing a screwdriver into the ground... some sticks up out of the ground, but the pointy part is stuck in the ground.

You could mow your lawn and chop the part off that's above the ground (theoretically, LOL), but the part stuck in the ground is still there...

The clay will grab the screwdriver by the handle and pull it directly out, leaving no part of the screwdriver behind.

Steps:
2. Dry thoroughly.
3. Clay bar
6. Final detail wipe with microfiber cloth and an instant detailing spray to bring out that last bit of shine.

~Eric
I guess were all experts.
Old 06-20-2005 | 05:45 PM

I guess were all experts.
I've researched clay a LOT before trying it a few years ago, and unless you've tried it on the same car you try your "WD-40" tricks on, I wouldn't go around telling people to put WD-40 on their paint.

Why don't I just go dump a bunch of gasoline on my paint -- it'll clean it!

Read up about the clay process and the theory behind it. Better yet, try it for yourself and see the difference it makes.
Old 06-20-2005 | 06:21 PM
Just dial 1911

I've researched clay a LOT before trying it a few years ago, and unless you've tried it on the same car you try your "WD-40" tricks on, I wouldn't go around telling people to put WD-40 on their paint.

Why don't I just go dump a bunch of gasoline on my paint -- it'll clean it!

Read up about the clay process and the theory behind it. Better yet, try it for yourself and see the difference it makes.

Ok, your the expert.
Old 06-20-2005 | 06:22 PM
Just dial 1911

Steps:
~Eric
Hands down, most professional detailers would agree with this first step Specifically the Dawn reference
Old 06-20-2005 | 06:24 PM
Just dial 1911

Oh and before anyone else does

Old 06-20-2005 | 08:43 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

IBTL

haven't done that in a while
Old 06-21-2005 | 01:55 PM
Racer

Steps:
2. Dry thoroughly.
3. Clay bar

~Eric

What brand of clay bar do you like and polish/sealer? Im going to get my pwp in a few days and want to clay it asap cause I know its probably been sitting outside for awhile or something.
Old 06-21-2005 | 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by rtlltj
What brand of clay bar do you like and polish/sealer? Im going to get my pwp in a few days and want to clay it asap cause I know its probably been sitting outside for awhile or something.
I use Mother's California Gold clay ("paint saving system").

Mother's Step 2 Sealer/Glaze (which acts similar to a polish but isn't as harsh).

Mother's Pure Caranuba Wax as the final wax step (2 coats if you have the time).
Old 06-21-2005 | 03:59 PM
Pro

If you wax 2 times, does it really make that big of a difference? I've never done it before.
Old 06-21-2005 | 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by TSX7
If you wax 2 times, does it really make that big of a difference? I've never done it before.
I do it more to be fully sure that I didn't miss any spots. Being thorough and detailed is my job.

Very thin applications of wax are all that's needed (contrary to what a lot of people think -- slopping massive gobs onto their car and thinking it does more). I do two very thin coats... enough just to get a uniform haze, wait a few minutes, and then buff off. Repeat once more a bit later and voila. The results can be seen in my thread in this forum.

~Eric
Old 06-21-2005 | 08:04 PM
Just dial 1911

I do it more to be fully sure that I didn't miss any spots. Being thorough and detailed is my job.

Very thin applications of wax are all that's needed (contrary to what a lot of people think -- slopping massive gobs onto their car and thinking it does more). I do two very thin coats... enough just to get a uniform haze, wait a few minutes, and then buff off. Repeat once more a bit later and voila. The results can be seen in my thread in this forum.

~Eric
Wax or polish because there is a distinct difference. You can use several coats of polish, you only need one coat of wax. And here is proof of the from Megs:

http://www.meguiars.com.au/Get_Schooled29.htm

Eric, seriously, visit the wash and wax section in off topic and read some of the posts of exceldetail, clpower and TSXtc. They are professionals that do this stuff for a living.
Old 06-21-2005 | 09:52 PM

Wax or polish because there is a distinct difference. You can use several coats of polish, you only need one coat of wax. And here is proof of the from Megs:

http://www.meguiars.com.au/Get_Schooled29.htm

Eric, seriously, visit the wash and wax section in off topic and read some of the posts of exceldetail, clpower and TSXtc. They are professionals that do this stuff for a living.
Wax.

And doing more than one might be overkill but I don't mind. I think it does a more uniform and thorough job, that's all. I'm sure professionals have better single-coat quality control than I do, but in my mind, two coats of wax lets me know that I've got every single square millimeter of the car..

And yes I know the distinct difference between polish and wax. I've talked with a LOT of detailers here in Ottawa and online and they've all complimented my methods and given me props for doing a thorough and complete job. Nothing bad to say about what methods I've presented above.

Oh, and from your link:
Are multiple coats of wax beneficial?

Environmental conditions today do demand more frequent waxing to prevent costly damage to the outer layers of paint. However we don't recommend applying two or three coats of wax at one time. While there is some slight incremental protection with each application, you'll gain greater benefits by spreading the same number of applications over a longer period.

Incremental gain. That is a good thing. Sure, more beneficial over 2 separate days/weeks, BUT, I don't have the time to wax every other week, so I do 2 coats in a day to get the most possible protection on that day and leave completely satisfied. It doesn't say your paint will be HARMED by putting two coats on.

Anyhow, I'm done with this. We've hijacked this thread enough.
Old 06-21-2005 | 10:29 PM
Just dial 1911

There is a fine line between anal and wasting your time.

But hey, if your happy with your methods, knock yourself out...
Old 06-21-2005 | 10:36 PM
Just dial 1911

Oh, and I guess if Megs is wrong, how about Einszett? I guess their wrong too

"One concern that is unfounded is that it is possible to put too much wax on your car.
There is no harm in waxing your car every month or two if you choose. However, applying multiple coats of wax at one application (also known as "layering") has no additional benefits. In this case, more is not necessarily better. One coat of wax is more then sufficient."
Old 06-22-2005 | 03:07 AM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Seriously, it shouldnt take that long. Especially on a new car. One or two passes is all it takes before it feels smooth. Fold the clay and repeat.

You know, I wouldnt really mind doing someone else's TSX eventually. I've become quite good with the whole detailing process, if I say so myself

In fact, I think im going to do my 6 month Zaino this weekend.
Hmm... Mine can use a claying badly.... you offering?
Old 06-22-2005 | 09:53 AM
Team Owner

Oh and before anyone else does

+ 1