Wilwood BBK Question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 10:37 AM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wilwood BBK Question.

I'm planning to upgrade my front brake this summer. Currently, I have the slotted RacingBrake on all 4 corner, and pair w/ Hawk HPS. Recently, I have seen a set of Wilwood Dynalite and i think I like it very much. The following is the package that I'm talking about. It includes all necessary items for bolt-on install.

Wilwood OEM rotor size + 4 piston package.

Here's my question, under 2 scenario.

1. Since I already have upgraded RacingBrake slotted rotor. IF I don't plan on upgrade the brake rotor, and all I want is the new 4-pot caliper, anything I need for this install?? I know I need at least SS Brake line, and the caliper adapter, anything more. Will it be a simple bolt on???

2. If I plan to buy the whole front Wilwood BBK (12.2) package, so it's a straight forward install. However, if I want to REPLACE my rear stock size rotor and caliper with the OEM size Front rotor and OEM caliper, is that possible????

Any input are welcome.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:38 AM
Unauthorized User

Originally Posted by chuson
2. If I plan to buy the whole front Wilwood BBK (12.2) package, so it's a straight forward install. However, if I want to REPLACE my rear stock size rotor and caliper with the OEM size Front rotor and OEM caliper, is that possible????
I was wondering the same thing, I think the front rotors and the rear may not be compatible, because the front rotors bore might be larger than the rear rotors, it's possible i suppose, but with some modification.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:43 AM
Senior Moderator

And I'm wondering the same about the first question. I too have RacingBrake's and am looking for a 4 pot caliper / brake setup for the fronts. I just don't know which ones are easily compatible with that setup.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:53 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
#1 if the Wilwood rotor is the same diameter and width as the RB, you should be able to use the one you have

#2, you would lose your parking brake and you would need an adaptor (that doesn't exist), I can't see any way the much large front caliper would fit where the tiny rear one currently does
Old 02-21-2007, 05:06 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Thanks for the input.

Currently I'm still looking for a solid info on the Wilwood TSX kit. I don't see a lot of store carrying it. The reason why Wilwood pop up on my upgrade list is, there's a guy on ClubRSX forum can get the Whole front package (caliper+rotor+SS line+ adapter) for $5XX close to $600. Therefore I'm wondering if the RSX front brake kit the same as TSX. While there's only Fastbrake.com carry the TSX Wilwood kit, I wonder if it's a valid kit specific for TSX.

Regarding to question #1, if the brake caliper are capable to pair w/ OEM size rotor, does that mean all I need is to un-bolt the stock caliper and put the new 4-pot caliper in???

Another question to xizor, if the rim is the same size for both front and back, why will the front rotor and front caliper NOT fit in it???? Is there any other component there or what?

For the Parking brake (e-brake) issue, what exactly need to be done, and what parts are needed, can you clarify???

Thanks
Old 02-21-2007, 05:07 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Quick question to everyone...

Will upgrading JUST the caliper greater shorten the braking distance??? (assume w/ OEM size slot rotor). Or I should take the full benefit with Big Brake rotor?
Old 02-21-2007, 05:15 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

a guy on ClubRSX forum can get the Whole front package (caliper+rotor+SS line+ adapter) for $5XX close to $600. T
link? I have a hard time believing that price for the whole set

Regarding to question #1, if the brake caliper are capable to pair w/ OEM size rotor, does that mean all I need is to un-bolt the stock caliper and put the new 4-pot caliper in???
pretty much, there's not a whole lot to it. You'd bolt the adaptor to the hub and the new caliper to the adaptor

Another question to xizor, if the rim is the same size for both front and back, why will the front rotor and front caliper NOT fit in it???? Is there any other component there or what?
the caliper and rotor will fit inside the wheel, but its unlikely the caliper will bolt onto the hub. the rear hub is very small, while the front is very large. you should take off your wheel and look around

For the Parking brake (e-brake) issue, what exactly need to be done, and what parts are needed, can you clarify???
pulling the e-brake pulls a cable which activates the rear brake. the front caliper doesn't have this, so you won't have a parking brake. i don't think there's anything you could do about it
Old 02-21-2007, 05:32 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

found the clubrsx thread, this is the part number that the guy referenced wil-140-7014: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...wil-140-7014-d . The price is pretty good so I guess his $600 is legit

it gives the specs on the rotors, and they are not OEM sized (RB's sizing: http://www.racingbrake.com/TSX_REAR_.../9627r-111.htm), so you can't/shouldn't use your OEM sized RBs
Old 02-21-2007, 05:36 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

found the clubrsx thread, this is the part number that the guy referenced wil-140-7014: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...wil-140-7014-d . The price is pretty good so I guess his $600 is legit

it gives the specs on the rotors which are close to the size of the RB Fronts (http://www.racingbrake.com/TSX_FRONT...1-211-1034.htm), might be worth a shot
Old 02-22-2007, 09:05 AM
Senior Moderator

But would it be possible to get only the caliper, pad, and adapters to make it fit a RB rotor? Is there any distributor that would make that kit, or should I just call Wilwood?

chuson could you PM me with the details on that kit too? thanks.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:32 AM
PJS
Burning Brakes

I've sent Wilwood a message asking about their products on the TSX.
Hopefully they''ll reply in the next few hours or tomorrow with an answer.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:35 AM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Quick question to everyone...

Will upgrading JUST the caliper greater shorten the braking distance??? (assume w/ OEM size slot rotor). Or I should take the full benefit with Big Brake rotor?
No and yes.
No the caliper will not shorten the distance, that's the rotors job.
The rotor being larger provides more area and metal to soak and dissipate the heat the pads generate.
The caliper does something, but it's more to do with the clamping force of the pads wither side of the rotor.
I suppose they too will soak up some of the heat generated by the pads, so their larger size will have an effect, but less so than the rotors.
If you were to only run or other, then rotor upgrade will have the more pronounced effect in all likelihood.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:36 AM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Originally Posted by PJS
No and yes.
No the caliper will not shorten the distance, that's the rotors job.
The rotor being larger provides more area and metal to soak and dissipate the heat the pads generate.
The caliper does something, but it's more to do with the clamping force of the pads wither side of the rotor.
I suppose they too will soak up some of the heat generated by the pads, so their larger size will have an effect, but less so than the rotors.
If you were to only run or other, then rotor upgrade will have the more pronounced effect in all likelihood.
I'm partially agree wtih you, but not totally. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
The larger rotor does have an advantage of dissipate the heat more than "smaller" size rotor, due to its bigger metal surface. However, the caliper does play a major role as well, especially when we are comparing our TSX single-pot caliper to Whatever brand 4-pot caliper. Not only more piston will provide more force, but overall it will be more balance as well. I believe our regular TSX will not benefit from a 12-pot caliper due to the performance we have, or daily use. But a 4-pot caliper should be a nice upgrade.

Back to topic, I passed by my mechanic today and ask him about this question. Like what Xizor has stated, he said was as long as the rotor is the same size as the Wilwood kit, it should be no problem to fit it, all we need is the caliper, brake pad, and adapter. However, he has pointed that our TSX single-pot is a BIG piston caliper, while the Wilwood (the model I have stated above) is 4 "tiny" pot. Base on the price, it's attractive, has bling factor and is a slight performance upgrade. But he rather has the TL front Brembo caliper + disc and he said it will be more effective. His client has 1 spare since that guy upgrade to something else. I will ask him to show me the TL kit later and see if it's fit, and see if anything need to modify in order to use it.

chuson could you PM me with the details on that kit too? thanks.
Reach... I would love to PM you if I have more info, but for now I don't. All I have is that link, and it's the ONLY online store that I see carry the TSX kit. I've sent them an e-mail couple days ago and still waiting for reply.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:55 AM
PJS
Burning Brakes

I'm partially agree wtih you, but not totally. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
The larger rotor does have an advantage of dissipate the heat more than "smaller" size rotor, due to its bigger metal surface. However, the caliper does play a major role as well, especially when we are comparing our TSX single-pot caliper to Whatever brand 4-pot caliper. Not only more piston will provide more force, but overall it will be more balance as well.

However, he has pointed that our TSX single-pot is a BIG piston caliper, while the Wilwood (the model I have stated above) is 4 "tiny" pot.
That was my point - calipers with multiple pistons is more for redundancy than actual improved performance, although the leading and trailing edges of the pad make for more efficient use of the pad.
So the additional clamping force will help, but only insofar as the rotor temperature remains cooler than the pad's surface, so fade isn't introduced.

By all means go for it for the bling factor, but don't delude yourself into thinking you'll pull up in shorter distances that make the OEM brakes look as effective as sticking your feet out to stop. It's not going to be that night and day contrast.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:58 AM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Originally Posted by PJS
That was my point - calipers with multiple pistons is more for redundancy than actual improved performance, although the leading and trailing edges of the pad make for more efficient use of the pad.
So the additional clamping force will help, but only insofar as the rotor temperature remains cooler than the pad's surface, so fade isn't introduced.

By all means go for it for the bling factor, but don't delude yourself into thinking you'll pull up in shorter distances that make the OEM brakes look as effective as sticking your feet out to stop. It's not going to be that night and day contrast.
I have the OEM size RacingBrake Slotted rotor, is that not good enough???
But yeh, i need more people chim in for more info.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:15 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Good enough for what?
It all depends on what you're looking to achieve out of this.
If it's improved braking performance, then yes, the calipers and slotted disc will be better than OEM, but it's hard to quantify by how much or in what instances.
Part of the point of bigger rotors is to wick away the heat build up from braking quickly so that you have the same co-efficient of friction for repeated slow downs.
The way I look at BBKs is nothing more than bling factor. Any additional gains in performance are a bonus.
The only real time you'd see NEED for a BBK, is if you were repeatedly doing a lot of heavy braking from high speeds - street or track racing for example.
For everyday driving conditions, the brakes will not help as the OEMs are not likely to be overwhelmed and where you can feel them fading.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:58 AM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

I agree with you PJS. But I have experience Brake Fading whenever we have TSX meet here (Toronto)... lol.

And I'm planning to track this summer so I'm looking forward for 4-pot Caliper, or BBK.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:44 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
From what I know.....yes, RSX brakes DO fit on the TSX, as someone has done a JDM DC5-R Brembo brake replacement.

And no, as xizor has explained already, you can't really just switch around front and rear calipers like that, reason about the hand brake.

And as for braking power and all of that, TSX stock even with bolt ons do not need more than 4-pot. But if you have FI, then 6-pot will be better judging that you will track and drive the car hard. But everything in the braking system contributes, bigger rotors, better pads, more pistons in the calipers. That's why people have different stage of upgrading brakes. Stage 1 = brake lines and fluids. Stage 2 = pads and rotors + above. Stage 3 = bigger/more pot calipers + above.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:36 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

I'm still waiting for SC w/ Intercooler Stage2 kit, but I have no idea when will they release...

Anyways, here's a bit more info on the Wilwood Caliper itself, and what kind of disc rotor will be compatible with the Caliper. Anyone has the RacingBrake disc rotor size???

Here's a couple choices...
Forged Billet Dynalite Caliper
Billet Dynalite Caliper
Powerlite Caliper
Old 02-26-2007, 09:45 AM
iVTEC no koe

Originally Posted by Benz_05_TSX
Stage 1 = brake lines and fluids. Stage 2 = pads and rotors + above. Stage 3 = bigger/more pot calipers + above.
I would recommend this more:

Stage 1:
- Racing pads like Hawk HP Plus are a HUGE diff compared to stock on the track (and cost about the same as lines)
- Fluids (optional)

Stage 2:
- Rotors
- Brake Lines

Stage 3:
- Calipers
Old 02-26-2007, 03:26 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Originally Posted by HoRRo
I would recommend this more:

Stage 1:
- Racing pads like Hawk HP Plus are a HUGE diff compared to stock on the track (and cost about the same as lines)
- Fluids (optional)

Stage 2:
- Rotors
- Brake Lines

Stage 3:
- Calipers
Hey Horro...

Did you have that "noise" on your Hawk HP Plus??? I heard those racing pad will make sounds whenever they brake.

Which Brand of Brake Lines are recommended? I see Stoptech or Wilwood does have a nice looking Brake Lines, however, I think they are more like re-brand SS Brake lines from other company. Any recommendation?

I've also e-mail StopTech regarding on their Brake Caliper, Wilwood has NOT reply me yet. I will update you guys later when I have the info.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanks for the good info chuson, keep it comin. I believe moda_way recommends goodridge brake lines as high quality with a good price. That's another upgrade I have yet to do.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:39 AM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Originally Posted by Reach
Thanks for the good info chuson, keep it comin. I believe moda_way recommends goodridge brake lines as high quality with a good price. That's another upgrade I have yet to do.
Speaking of SS Brake Lines, I remember one member recently broke the goodridge bolt. I forgot if it's broke by itself, or the guy who installed broke it?
Old 02-27-2007, 02:15 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Most of the BBK comes with the goodridge brakelines. Well, maybe not the main brands, but all the other brands does. I heard they are the best bang for the bucks. But of course, they are so many other brake lines out there, its ENDLESS!!
Old 02-27-2007, 04:33 AM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Horro...

Did you have that "noise" on your Hawk HP Plus??? I heard those racing pad will make sounds whenever they brake.:
Hawk hps

I noticed that if they are cold they tend to make more noise. When they are warm they do make a little noise but only if you start to brake 100 feet from stopping rather than braking harder like 30 feet from stopping (just an example not real measurments). They cool off quick too, so it does get a little annoying because you will hear them pretty frequently. Especially if you glaze the rotors. So do shorter harder stops rather than longer softer stops. Just remeber to ease off the brakes as you almost come to a complete stop to avoid that jerk. I dunno but it works for me.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:20 AM
iVTEC no koe

Hey Horro...

Did you have that "noise" on your Hawk HP Plus??? I heard those racing pad will make sounds whenever they brake.

Which Brand of Brake Lines are recommended? I see Stoptech or Wilwood does have a nice looking Brake Lines, however, I think they are more like re-brand SS Brake lines from other company. Any recommendation?

I've also e-mail StopTech regarding on their Brake Caliper, Wilwood has NOT reply me yet. I will update you guys later when I have the info.
Noise, yes. My reply was strictly from a performance aspect. I believe most companies have their lines made by Goodridge anyways.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:22 AM
iVTEC no koe

Originally Posted by Benz_05_TSX
Most of the BBK comes with the goodridge brakelines. Well, maybe not the main brands, but all the other brands does. I heard they are the best bang for the bucks. But of course, they are so many other brake lines out there, its ENDLESS!!
Bleh at Endless brake lines, if you're paying that much, might as well get Project Mu's, they are stainless steel with pvc tubing to protect the braids from the elements.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:26 AM
iVTEC no koe

Speaking of SS Brake Lines, I remember one member recently broke the goodridge bolt. I forgot if it's broke by itself, or the guy who installed broke it?
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35757

Summary:
I received an email from Goodridge tech support, the torque spec for the Goodridge banjo bolts is 14-18 lbs. That's lower than the o.e. spec (I don't remember what that is exactly, I think 28 lbs or something like that). I don't remember the lower torque spec being in the Goodridge instructions, but it may well be there and I missed it.

Either way, wanted to let everyone know it's lower than o.e. (which would be listed in the Helm's manual).
Old 02-27-2007, 01:46 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Originally Posted by TSX420J
Hawk hps

I noticed that if they are cold they tend to make more noise. When they are warm they do make a little noise but only if you start to brake 100 feet from stopping rather than braking harder like 30 feet from stopping (just an example not real measurments). They cool off quick too, so it does get a little annoying because you will hear them pretty frequently. Especially if you glaze the rotors. So do shorter harder stops rather than longer softer stops. Just remeber to ease off the brakes as you almost come to a complete stop to avoid that jerk. I dunno but it works for me.
But we are talking about Hawk HP Plus that make noises when brake. My Hawk HPS never make any noise, even if it's -30C outside.

So in summary, all SS Brake Line are the same..... except EndLess & Project Mu.... lol... I guess I will get the Goodridge Brake Line and use the OEM bolt for safety.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:46 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

BTW: any more input on JUST Caliper install???

Both Wilwood & StopTech has not replied to my e-mail yet.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:33 AM
Mugen freak

Any info on the wilwood kit? Im really interested in purchasing the 11.8 4 pot kit, as well as the rear upgrade located here. TSX 12.3 inch Rear Upgrade

Also, will having larger diameter rear rotors mess up the braking feel with my car? On the information for the rear upgrade, it says to go at least with 11.8 inch rotors so as not to screw up the balance of the braking, but im not quite sure what this means. Can anyone shed some light on this please?