Who's using Rotora combo rotors on the front?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 05:00 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who's using Rotora combo rotors on the front?

If you got a set of Rotora combo (slotted/drilled) on the front, just wanted to see if you guys feel that it feels rough when braking moderately?

I just got these on today. They respond way better than the stock blank disc of course but I noticed for moderate to heavy braking, there is a slight judder feedback from the brake pedal. I think this is where the slots are actually probably cutting the brake pad =] I'm using Duralast Gold (ceramic) brake pads.

I don't get this feedback during light to moderate braking. But moderate to heavy, I do.

Or perhaps I need to break in the brake pad and rotor more.

Don't get me wrong, I've had cross-drilled/slotted brembo's before on my old honda Civic. I did not have this problem, in fact they were just as smooth as the stockies. Perhaps the rotoras are really "performance" oriented. =]

but then again, I can't be sure. It could be the worn-out tires. I also got the tires rotated with it and it could be that the tires are wearing out. I've got 44,500 miles on the stock factory tires and they're probably down to about 15% tread life.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:58 AM
Eat my shorts!!

are you sure its not the ABS kicking in?
Old 12-09-2007, 01:54 PM
Racer

thats what it might feel like too... but its very subtle.

i've felt what ABS feels like and its pretty intense pulsation on the brakes. what i'm feeling is more minor.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Make sure you bed in the pads properly.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...contents.shtml
Old 12-10-2007, 01:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
^^exactly. Bed them in, again. I thought I had bedded my brakes in correctly when I first got them, but apparently I didn't. I had to re-bed some pads and rotors using the Stoptech method. I did it 3 times to make sure. You really have to heat those brakes up to make anything pad material transfer.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:44 PM
Racer

okay after 3 days now, I can safely say that the vibration has turned into somewhat of a steering wheel vibration like warped rotors. But it is not too severe.

But the vibration only occurs under moderate braking between 45mph and 65mph. When I brake from 80 to 60, it is smooth. When I brake from 70 to 60 it is smooth. Or when i brake from 40 to 20 it is smooth. Or when I go to a complete stop, it is perfectly smooth.

But when I brake anytime from 60 to 45 or 55 to 40, there is some steering wheel vibration at these speeds.

This sorta doesn't make any sense cuz if the rotors or pads were misaligned, it should be vibrating at all speeds, but in fact it is only doing so at the middle speeds. Perhaps the tires are really out of balance, but they don't vibrate when I'm not braking. Also, I got no squeeking noises.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by greendestiny
okay after 3 days now, I can safely say that the vibration has turned into somewhat of a steering wheel vibration like warped rotors. But it is not too severe.

But the vibration only occurs under moderate braking between 45mph and 65mph. When I brake from 80 to 60, it is smooth. When I brake from 70 to 60 it is smooth. Or when i brake from 40 to 20 it is smooth. Or when I go to a complete stop, it is perfectly smooth.

But when I brake anytime from 60 to 45 or 55 to 40, there is some steering wheel vibration at these speeds.

This sorta doesn't make any sense cuz if the rotors or pads were misaligned, it should be vibrating at all speeds, but in fact it is only doing so at the middle speeds. Perhaps the tires are really out of balance, but they don't vibrate when I'm not braking. Also, I got no squeeking noises.
It sounds like you have a tire or suspension issue. I would check to see if the tires are out of balance.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:16 PM
10th Gear

Thumbs down

From my experience with Rotora they are warped from the start. I never posted about this before, but after reading your story I thought I would share mine.

I ordered a complete set of Rotora slotted rotors and ceramic pads for my 06 TSX. They were delivered to me via UPS on 10/10/2007 and installed on the 11th. I followed the proper breaking procedure to a T. I still noticed a very slight vibration when slowing on the highway from 60 > 40 ish.

I was pretty busy with work and didnt have time to take it back to the independent shop that installed them. I also took a trip from Pittsburgh to Michigan that had been planned for a while.

I took it back to the shop on 11/5/2007 but at this point I had approx 1500 miles on the rotors. I never even thought that there would be such a short warranty on the rotors.

I called Josh at Excelerate who was nice, returned my called promptly, but was only able to refer me to Rotora. I emailed and called Loren @ Rotora who informed me that basically there was nothing I can do at this point becides buy another set of rotors. He said that the shop probably tightened the lugs down too tight!

I then called Josh back alitte upset, he told me that he would be happy to offer me a discount on another set. He also told me he would try to take it to another level with Rotora but of course I never heard back from him.

In the end I just was fed up, I had spent $480 with Excelerate, another $160 to have them installed, and then another $180 for new generic rotors and installation. (the new rotors fixed the vibration immediatly)

So at this point I have learned a good lesson, while I'm sure there are performance advantages to these (and other rotors), it just makes life easier to go to a dealer or independent and have them sell and install the brakes. That way no one can play the blame game.

Keep in mind I do know I was outside the "official" warranty, but I also know that when someone like excelerate buy alot from one company, there is a certain degree of leway with suppliers to get things done to keep happy customers.

I even offered to pay return shipping to get the old rotors back to Excelerate or Rotora - but I never heard back from either.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:09 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brivalen
From my experience with Rotora they are warped from the start. I never posted about this before, but after reading your story I thought I would share mine.

I ordered a complete set of Rotora slotted rotors and ceramic pads for my 06 TSX. They were delivered to me via UPS on 10/10/2007 and installed on the 11th. I followed the proper breaking procedure to a T. I still noticed a very slight vibration when slowing on the highway from 60 > 40 ish.

I was pretty busy with work and didnt have time to take it back to the independent shop that installed them. I also took a trip from Pittsburgh to Michigan that had been planned for a while.

I took it back to the shop on 11/5/2007 but at this point I had approx 1500 miles on the rotors. I never even thought that there would be such a short warranty on the rotors.

I called Josh at Excelerate who was nice, returned my called promptly, but was only able to refer me to Rotora. I emailed and called Loren @ Rotora who informed me that basically there was nothing I can do at this point becides buy another set of rotors. He said that the shop probably tightened the lugs down too tight!

I then called Josh back alitte upset, he told me that he would be happy to offer me a discount on another set. He also told me he would try to take it to another level with Rotora but of course I never heard back from him.

In the end I just was fed up, I had spent $480 with Excelerate, another $160 to have them installed, and then another $180 for new generic rotors and installation. (the new rotors fixed the vibration immediatly)

So at this point I have learned a good lesson, while I'm sure there are performance advantages to these (and other rotors), it just makes life easier to go to a dealer or independent and have them sell and install the brakes. That way no one can play the blame game.

Keep in mind I do know I was outside the "official" warranty, but I also know that when someone like excelerate buy alot from one company, there is a certain degree of leway with suppliers to get things done to keep happy customers.

I even offered to pay return shipping to get the old rotors back to Excelerate or Rotora - but I never heard back from either.
You should post this up alot earlier and warn people about the vendor. Basically (not directly to Excelerate), but I found alot of forum vendors are nice/helpful when you purchase items, and poor service afterwards. They did listen to your concern, and give you some advices. However, if the problem is cause of the products, they will never admit it, or said sth like it's not a big deal. (E.g. Ingalls ETD)
Old 12-15-2007, 09:56 PM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
my setup works flawlessly
Old 12-18-2007, 01:11 AM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I installed a set of Rotora slotted rotors in the front last month. My set has been working fine. My guess (in your case) would be the bed-in procedures. The most important thing about bed-in procedures is the cooling after the 5-6 braking events. During the cooling process, try not to come to a complete stop, but if you have to (i.e. in the city), make sure you don't stand on the brake pedal as this will cause the pad material to be deposited onto the rotor surface in that one area. This will be the cause of vibrations under braking.

Why didn't you try to resurface the rotors before buying a set of generic rotors?
Old 12-18-2007, 01:28 AM
Racer

yea i did followed the bed-in properly. The vibration occured from day 1 and it is as "brivalen" described. Vibration occurs between 60 to 40 mph. In that time of braking, the steering wheel shakes.

But anything between 100 and 60 (haha) and 40 and 0, there is no vibration at all... this didn't happen with the stockie rotors.

I just wish more ppl should have spoken up here so ppl will consider more choices. From my research, I didn't find much issues with Rotora which was why i jumped in. I did find some issues with some owners of RacingBrake and so on so forth.

so yea, i'm currently using brand new autozone ceramic brake pads with the Rotoras. Previously it was the stockie rotors + Hawk HPS. I"m not using HPS since they squeeled alot but seeing how they got a crapload of life on them, I"m gonna slap them on in the coming weeks to see if that fixes it the problem. If the HPS does not fix the problem, then it's safe to say the rotor was defective from the start.

But that is ok, i probably won't pursue the matter further. I think I'll stick with "proven" brands now (Brembo) like I had before. It's just brembo didn't make a cross-drill/slotted combo. But I guess I can live with their $40 blanks.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Please keep in mind that I am not the manufacturer of the rotors. ROTORA is and therefore the warranty lies with the manufacturer. However, I did pursue the issue with ROTORA. However, you were past the warranty period, which is 500 miles. Brakes, like clutches, tires, etc have a short warranty period because ppl can abuse them and cause them to warp or install them improperly (over torqueing of the lug nuts or not in the proper sequence or improper bed in). There are rare occasions though when the surface of the disc isn't entirely true. ROTORA will warranty those times b/c that happens right out of the box. It happens maybe 1% of the time. I have had maybe 5-6 cases in the past 3 years and I have sold a good amount of rotors. So I offered you what I could offer you, which was a serious discount on another set to resolve the issue if you chose to go that route. Also, just because one rotor may have been off doesn't mean all 4 were, nor the pads. My offer still stands to help you out.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by greendestiny
I just wish more ppl should have spoken up here so ppl will consider more choices. From my research, I didn't find much issues with Rotora which was why i jumped in. I did find some issues with some owners of RacingBrake and so on so forth.

so yea, i'm currently using brand new autozone ceramic brake pads with the Rotoras. Previously it was the stockie rotors + Hawk HPS. I"m not using HPS since they squeeled alot but seeing how they got a crapload of life on them, I"m gonna slap them on in the coming weeks to see if that fixes it the problem. If the HPS does not fix the problem, then it's safe to say the rotor was defective from the start.

But that is ok, i probably won't pursue the matter further. I think I'll stick with "proven" brands now (Brembo) like I had before. It's just brembo didn't make a cross-drill/slotted combo. But I guess I can live with their $40 blanks.
The fact is most ppl don't have issues with ROTORA rotors. There are hundreds if not thousands of members on this board using ROTORA rotors. If you have an issue out of the box you should immediately contact ROTORA and let them know you are under the 500 mile mark. Let me know if I can help you out.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:12 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Excelerate
Please keep in mind that I am not the manufacturer of the rotors. ROTORA is and therefore the warranty lies with the manufacturer. However, I did pursue the issue with ROTORA. However, you were past the warranty period, which is 500 miles. Brakes, like clutches, tires, etc have a short warranty period because ppl can abuse them and cause them to warp or install them improperly (over torqueing of the lug nuts or not in the proper sequence or improper bed in). There are rare occasions though when the surface of the disc isn't entirely true. ROTORA will warranty those times b/c that happens right out of the box. It happens maybe 1% of the time. I have had maybe 5-6 cases in the past 3 years and I have sold a good amount of rotors. So I offered you what I could offer you, which was a serious discount on another set to resolve the issue if you chose to go that route. Also, just because one rotor may have been off doesn't mean all 4 were, nor the pads. My offer still stands to help you out.
I understand completely that you are not the manufacturer, I just felt like you should have tried harder and tried to work with Rotora on my behalf to get this resolved in a manner that doesnt mean me spending more money.

Let me give you an example, I am an IT consultant and order alot of Dell computers. Everyone once in a blue moon the hard drive will fail in the first week or two. Even though it is not my fault whatsoever and I am only the reseller, I still have an obligation to my client to call Dell, get the HD replaced and then perform all the labor to get windows installed etc. That is money I just eat to keep a happy customer - regardless of fault.

back to the rotors - I never said I replaced all 4 rotors and pads - I am still using Rotora rear rotors and pads all the way around. Once the shop installed new front rotors the problem was immediatly solved.

Since your volume is so high with Rotora and you do admit that sometimes rotors are bad out of the box, I don't understand why it would be so hard to get some strings pulled at Rotora and get me new front rotors under warranty. I really don't think I'm asking too much here. I spent $820 on brakes recently - do you really think I want to by new rotors from you and then pay more to have them installed? I would be over $1000 at that point! Seems alittle nuts when I look at it that way.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:05 PM
Former Sponsor

I understand completely that you are not the manufacturer, I just felt like you should have tried harder and tried to work with Rotora on my behalf to get this resolved in a manner that doesnt mean me spending more money.

Let me give you an example, I am an IT consultant and order alot of Dell computers. Everyone once in a blue moon the hard drive will fail in the first week or two. Even though it is not my fault whatsoever and I am only the reseller, I still have an obligation to my client to call Dell, get the HD replaced and then perform all the labor to get windows installed etc. That is money I just eat to keep a happy customer - regardless of fault.

back to the rotors - I never said I replaced all 4 rotors and pads - I am still using Rotora rear rotors and pads all the way around. Once the shop installed new front rotors the problem was immediatly solved.

Since your volume is so high with Rotora and you do admit that sometimes rotors are bad out of the box, I don't understand why it would be so hard to get some strings pulled at Rotora and get me new front rotors under warranty. I really don't think I'm asking too much here. I spent $820 on brakes recently - do you really think I want to by new rotors from you and then pay more to have them installed? I would be over $1000 at that point! Seems alittle nuts when I look at it that way.
Brian, I understand what you're saying and I did talk to ROTORA couple times about it. They told me that they talked to you and there was no further warranty since you were past the mileage limit. This happens rarely and when it does I email or call ROTORA on every case. You were past the warranty mark. I can't change ROTORA's warranty. If the problem was reported immediately when the rotors were installed rather than 1500 miles later then I could have helped but to ROTORA it looks like the disc were fine out of the box and they warped after 1500 miles b/c of improper installation or user error. However, I understand how you feel and I have no problem helping you out. In fact if you're near me come to the shop; I'll sell you the rotors at cost and install them for free. PM me or email if you have any further questions/concerns please.