What are JTso's oilcatchcan/TBbypass ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 01:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are JTso's oilcatchcan/TBbypass ?

Hey,
i remember reading the posts when everyone started doing the 2 mods but then, and now, i didnt understand the purpose.
does anyone feel like giving me the rundown in simple term?
starting wtih oil catch can. why is it catching oil?? is it used in engine preservation or performance

and the TB bybass im far from even grasping.

thanks in advance
Cman
Old 04-23-2005, 02:20 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Here is the TB mod

TB Mod
Old 04-23-2005, 03:40 PM
04 remembrance

Do a search, you'll find it.

I remember a thread with a very thorough explanation, pictures included.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Here is the catch can version 1

Here is version 2

My Prelude has the v1 and it collects a lot of oil after a few hunderd miles.

Old 04-23-2005, 06:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
JTso, I was wondering about the TB bypass: Would it be possible to put a valve that would direct the coolant either away from the TB during summer, but could divert it back into it during winter?

Kind of like on/off...
Old 04-23-2005, 08:18 PM
Senior Moderator

sauceman, I think it can be done. It would require two T-fittings with a build-in valve and some hoses. Let me search around to see if such fitting is available.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:42 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by sauceman
JTso, I was wondering about the TB bypass: Would it be possible to put a valve that would direct the coolant either away from the TB during summer, but could divert it back into it during winter?

Kind of like on/off...
I thought about it but decided not to in the end and had no problems in winter here, but our coldest is only 0F. You would just have to slap a T before the TB, and a T after the TB and then connect both T's with a hose and route either through TB or bypass it.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Yeah. That would be a viable solution for me, a lot easier than doing and un-doing the mod each spring and fall.

I'll look into it.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:15 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Yeah. That would be a viable solution for me, a lot easier than doing and un-doing the mod each spring and fall.

I'll look into it.
I'd say so, you better be dang fast to keep the radiator fluid from spraying everywhere when you swap it. its best done in conjunction w/ the hondata gasket IMO since the fluid is already drained.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:18 PM
My Garage

I'll look into it.
I would be interested in this as well, so friggen cold these last couple winters in NY and i'm too lasy to undo this every winter
Old 04-23-2005, 10:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Okay, I think there is a easier way to switch between bypass and normal mode with simpler components.

Parts needed:
2 - straigth fitting with build-in valve
2 - normal T fittings and some hoses

Before TB bypass
This is how the hot coolant flows through the TB heating the TB in the process.

TB bypassed with valves and T fittings
When both the valves are closed. Coolant flows through the T fittings.

Valves opened
When both valves are opened, coolant flows through the TB as well as the T fittings. This is similar to how the thermostat and coolant bypass works.

Old 04-23-2005, 11:13 PM
My Garage

Awesome idea. You are the man jtso

Doesn't seem too hard to do either. I haven't looked around the TB, is there enough room around for all these extra parts? Can you give some detail on the parts needed or is this still in idea form? I'll take a trip to tomorrow and try this as long as i know exactly what valves and hose to get.

I'm assuming enough coolant would pass through the TB even though it is going through the t-fitting as well
Old 04-24-2005, 05:45 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Excellent, JTso.

That shoud do it I'm sure.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Hey sauce, I was going through my pile of fittings and look what I found? It's a valve fitting that I used long time ago for a fuel pressure bypass project. I got it from a local hardware store in the plumbing dept. I think this should work for your purpose.

Old 04-24-2005, 08:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Exactly the right part.

I'll check out for this tomorrow. Hardware stores are my customers.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:28 PM
Instructor

Catch can on TSX. It's left of the windsheild washer bottle tie wrapped
to the A/C line.

I did something different and have 4 drill holes through the top
of the filter.

About 1 week of oil accumulation
Old 04-25-2005, 10:36 PM
Senior Moderator

What are the holes for? Did you also remove the black gear inside? Btw, nice mounting.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JTso
What are the holes for? Did you also remove the black gear inside? Btw, nice mounting.
This is the part from Home Depot, I left everything inside it came with.

I'm concerned an oil impregnated filter will not breath well so I put
4 small holes almost all the
way at the top of the filter. To be sure it doesn't restrict when the filter is saturated. I'm thinking of taking the filter all the way out.

I'm going to break the line on the block side and be sure it is pulling
well under vacuum, remember vacuum is only high at closed throttle.
At open throttle when the crankcase is pressurizing from blowby
and this thing needs to be breathing is when the intake vacuum is lower.
I'm going to make sure it is sucking with throttle open at low vacuum.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Actually, the PCV system is not functional during WOT regardless how many or how big of the holes. When that happens, blowby gases is going to travel up the oil galleys, to the valve cover, through the top vent hose, to the intake pipe and through the throttle body. That's why you will notice some oil film build-up on the throttle plate and the vent hose. This is an old problem exists for a long time, even worst in a FI setup.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:09 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Actually, the PCV system is not functional during WOT regardless how many or how big of the holes. When that happens, blowby gases is going travel up the oil galleys to the valve cover, through the top vent hose, to the intake pipe and through the throttle body. That's why you will notice some oil film build-up on the throttle plate and the vent hose. This is an old problem exists for a long time, even worst in a FI setup.
I've seen some people put catch can's on the vent coming off the valve cover rather than retrouting it to the intake. What is your take on those, I don't imagine they catch much at all.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:26 AM
Senior Moderator

That sounds like an open system which is popular setup for FI applications. What it does is to route the valve cover vent tube to one side of the catch can. The PCV valve is completely removed and replaced by a tube and routed to the other other side of the catch can. The top of the catch can usually has a filter for venting out to the atmosphere. Basically, this method bypassed the PCV system and will not pass emission inspection in some states.

Also, you will see different ways of connecting the hoses and sometimes they are not connected correctly.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:57 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

That sounds like an open system which is popular setup for FI applications. What it does is to route the valve cover vent tube to one side of the catch can. The PCV valve is completely removed and replaced by a tube and routed to the other other side of the catch can. The top of the catch can usually has a filter for venting out to the atmosphere. Basically, this method bypassed the PCV system and will not pass emission inspection in some states.

Also, you will see different ways of connecting the hoses and sometimes they are not connected correctly.
there is a ton of misinformation on the rsx forums when I was looking to other catch cans like greddy and cusco. I've seen both applications and worse, but I think the way that you've explained is easily the most useful
Old 04-27-2005, 09:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Just did the TB bypass mod tonight. I didn't do the 90 degree angle but did mine straight. Works like a champ. You guys are very helpful. Thanks.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:49 PM
Burning Brakes

WOW, in the end. i still dont understand the oil catch can. i know its easy to just refer to the other posts but they have guys asking the same question and it doesnt get fully answered.
1) the TB bybass, from what i can see your just rerouting the tube to skip and area where itll heat up, which should be changed back for winter. maybei get that.

2) oil catch can, what is that tub that oil is getting into?? like i hear "oil gets in combustion" from which entrance? and whats that tube moving if its catching oil.
So what is the tube carrying, and why is there oil in it.

and the TB bybass is for performance, and the oil catch is for engine cleansliness? verify please
Old 04-28-2005, 05:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TSX Cman
WOW, in the end. i still dont understand the oil catch can. i know its easy to just refer to the other posts but they have guys asking the same question and it doesnt get fully answered.
1) the TB bybass, from what i can see your just rerouting the tube to skip and area where itll heat up, which should be changed back for winter. maybei get that.

2) oil catch can, what is that tub that oil is getting into?? like i hear "oil gets in combustion" from which entrance? and whats that tube moving if its catching oil.
So what is the tube carrying, and why is there oil in it.

and the TB bybass is for performance, and the oil catch is for engine cleansliness? verify please
Oil getting into the combustion chamber via the intake manifold is a side effect of the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system. The idea of the PCV system is to re-route the crankcase blowby gases/oil vapor to the combustion chamber to reburn instead of exposing it to the atmosphere. The PCV system is relatively simple consists of a PCV valve, fresh air entry point and a length of hose connecting the PCV valve to the intake manifold. What the catch can does is to capture some of the oil which normally gets routed to the intake manifold. The catch can is mounted between the PCV valve and the intake manifold. Blowby gases and oil vapor still pass through the catch can leaving the heavier oil collected in the bottom. The catch can doesn't produce any performance gain but merely maintaining the performance level which could otherwise affected by carbon build-up as the result of oil entering the combustion chamber.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:53 PM
Burning Brakes

excellent.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:57 PM
My Garage

Hey JTSO, I finally got the L fitting, had a bitch of a time finding one.

Anyway, my K&N also came in the mail today, so I will try to find time to install it this weekend. I'll do the TB mod while I have the stock intake off. Worked out perfectly.

My question to you is...are the plugs you put on the TB neccessary or are they just for a clean look?
Old 04-28-2005, 11:01 PM
Senior Moderator

The plugs are simply there for a more finished touch. Not really for look as you can't really see them.