UPS Woes / ECU Replacement? **Long Story**

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 02:35 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down UPS Woes / ECU Replacement? **Long Story**

Hey all, Im hoping maybe someone can help me out with my major problem:

Recently I took out my ECU/Immobilzer/key for the Hondata ECU flash for my 04 5AT TSX. I purchased the service through Jeramy @ Kindle Racing and received the UPS shipping labels promptly to ship my goods from Toronto, Canada to California. I dropped off my package on Tues. April 12th at 'Mail Boxes etc." (an authorized UPS drop off place) and was told by the owner that the UPS driver would come by to pick up the UPS packages at around 5pm daily. Later on that evening, i checked online to see the status; nothing...all it said was "billing information received" which means that the service was set up, but nothing more. I decided to call UPS to see if they could track it for me, and the rep I spoke to stated that the shipping labels were set up as a USA to USA shipment, not Canada to USA shipment as it was supposed to. This is where I started to get worried. Next morning, I went back to 'Mail Boxes etc.' to ask the owner there if my package was picked up yesterday by the UPS driver; he remembered me and said that the UPS driver did in fact pick it up. I called UPS again and explained the situation, and asked if there were any updates, but the rep stated that there were no scans on the package nor did it indicate which driver picked up the package. Since this package was set up as a USA-USA shipment and not Canada-USA shipment, the rep stated that would be a big problem, but she couldn't tell me where to locate my package!! I've called UPS back several times this past week and spoke to at least 8 reps that were all pretty much no help. The last rep I spoke to stated that he would issue a trace for this package and it could take up to a week or so. I am extremely disappointed and angry at UPS as my package was never scanned into the system, nor could anyone tell me where to go if the package wasn't in good order, or even which driver picked up the package...right now, I have a giant paper weight sitting in my driveway with no ECU/immobilzer/key, and I dont even know if UPS can find it at all! Should I escalate this issue further?? So far i've been very very polite to all the UPS reps, but my patience is wearing extremely thin...
Can anyone tell me what to do??? If worst comes to worst, I'm going to need to purchase a new ECU/Immobilzer for my TSX; how much would this cost?? I've talked to Jeramy at Kindle Racing and he stated that he was sure that he setup the shipping labels as Canada to USA shipments...If anyone can shed some light, that would be really appreciated. I cannot believe a multi-million dollar corporation like UPS can't even provide me with any information about my package; even if its not in good order, maybe a note should be left under that tracking# so that I know where to pick up the package if there were any problems. My return address is on the top left corner of the shipping label, so they could have shipped it back to me if something is wrong..somebody please help!!!

Sorry for the long story/vent, :rippedoff

Austin
Old 04-17-2005, 03:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I feel sorry for you and hope the package is fully insured. One advice which probably won't help you now but hope it will help others in the future is to ship packages in such value and importance directly at the UPS counter and ask them to scan it on the spot. At least it's recorded in the system. Good luck locating your package.
Old 04-17-2005, 03:50 PM
Instructor

I hate places like "Mailboxes" etc. No guarantee that when you give them your package, it's immediately in the system. Maybe your problem is with them and not UPS?
Old 04-17-2005, 04:03 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by pcaulfie
I hate places like "Mailboxes" etc. No guarantee that when you give them your package, it's immediately in the system. Maybe your problem is with them and not UPS?

Nope, that's the thing..."mailboxes etc" just holds the UPS packages...until the UPS driver comes at 5pm and scans/picks up the packages. The onus is on UPS, as someone isn't doing their job properly. The owner at 'Mailboxes etc' recorded that he recieved the package from the customer (me) and gave it to the UPS driver...I'm just mad a UPS as their is no structure in their process...its poorly designed...as right now no one is taking the accountability or followup. I'm going to wait a few more days, and if this trace i requested leads nowhere, I'm going to escalate the issue severely. How can they just 'lose' a package?? If the package is sitting in the depot, at least there should be some sort of communication with the customer or at least a note placed within that tracking# so there is information...and not just leave it alone...the contents in the package are extremely important to me
Old 04-17-2005, 04:17 PM
Instructor

I hear you. Good luck, I can imagine how frustrating it must be. Let us know if you track it down.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:54 PM
Banned

I never like UPS. I never get any thing shipped from them or want to get anything from them. I like Fedex better. I dont trust no one with my stuff anyways.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:58 AM
Advanced

When Hondata sent my ECU/key/immobilizer back to me, it was insured for $2,000. You need to call Kindle and have him go to bat for you. Since he is the "shipper" of the package you need to work through him.

Secondly, do NOT let some call-center chump at UPS tell you how things are going to be. You call them back and politely explain to them that you are NOT hanging up the phone until you find out whats up with your package.

You don't have to be rude, but you do need to be firm. I am sure your package will turn up, but you most definitely have to make long-term arrangements for your vehicle.

It can take a week or two for an insurance claim to be processed, and even longer for an actual check to be cut and delivered to you to replace your hardware. Best of luck.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:33 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by tekn0mage
When Hondata sent my ECU/key/immobilizer back to me, it was insured for $2,000. You need to call Kindle and have him go to bat for you. Since he is the "shipper" of the package you need to work through him.

Secondly, do NOT let some call-center chump at UPS tell you how things are going to be. You call them back and politely explain to them that you are NOT hanging up the phone until you find out whats up with your package.

You don't have to be rude, but you do need to be firm. I am sure your package will turn up, but you most definitely have to make long-term arrangements for your vehicle.

It can take a week or two for an insurance claim to be processed, and even longer for an actual check to be cut and delivered to you to replace your hardware. Best of luck.
Thanks for the advice tek0mage; yea i'll work with Kindle to try to get everything resolved...this is been such a huge headache, and it pains me everytime i just see my TSX sitting outside. My patience is on its last thread with UPS; I just called again and they said they can't provide me any information on the package and where it is currently...but they do see a trace was issued and it can take up to 8 business days to find anything out...I just emailed Kindle to find out the insurance value he put on my package...Does anyone know how much a ECU/Key/Immobilizer replace would cost from Acura???
Old 04-18-2005, 11:53 AM
Senior Moderator

It would be around $1000 on parts and coding the key plus towing to the dealer. However, that's online prices so the local dealer might charge more...
Old 04-18-2005, 11:57 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Sorry to hear it. Let us know how this turns out.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:59 AM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about this man. I'm about to send my ECU in this week. I hope I don't run into the same thing.

I wish you the best of luck in recovering it. Please keep us updated.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:13 PM
Top notch 6MT

Angry

Man, so sorry to hear what's happened to you!! I hope it gets resolved soon and that you don't lose any $ over it, you are totally the victim here.

What I can't believe about UPS' claim is not being able to identify which driver was supposed to have picked up the package. There is no way UPS doesn't know which driver it was. They have route assignment and shift schedule information for sure, so at least that part is to me.

Also the Mailbox Etc owner should be able to id the UPS driver as well. Don't the UPS drivers usually have pretty much the same routes regularly?! I wouldn't necessarily trust the log book (electronic or otherwise) of the Mailbox Etc...

My gut feeling is that someone involved in this Mailbox Etc and/or this UPS driver know what the contents are and decided to snap it up. Maybe the shipping labels were indeed US-US, so they figure the incorrect labels would get in the way (like it appears now) of finding out who stole the package. Anyone frequents Ebay please report any suspicious set of TSX ECU/Immobilzer/key up for sale!!!
Old 04-18-2005, 12:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Not trying to scare you but just a precaution. If anyone has that package, it means the return shipping label inside will indicate your address. The key inside the package can be used to disarm your car even without the keyfob and gain entry to your car. Just be more careful until the package is located.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:01 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 05_TSX_GP
Man, so sorry to hear what's happened to you!! I hope it gets resolved soon and that you don't lose any $ over it, you are totally the victim here.

What I can't believe about UPS' claim is not being able to identify which driver was supposed to have picked up the package. There is no way UPS doesn't know which driver it was. They have route assignment and shift schedule information for sure, so at least that part is to me.

Also the Mailbox Etc owner should be able to id the UPS driver as well. Don't the UPS drivers usually have pretty much the same routes regularly?! I wouldn't necessarily trust the log book (electronic or otherwise) of the Mailbox Etc...

My gut feeling is that someone involved in this Mailbox Etc and/or this UPS driver know what the contents are and decided to snap it up. Maybe the shipping labels were indeed US-US, so they figure the incorrect labels would get in the way (like it appears now) of finding out who stole the package. Anyone frequents Ebay please report any suspicious set of TSX ECU/Immobilzer/key up for sale!!!
Yea, I find it pretty hard to believe that noone can tell me any details of my package whatsoever. Either tomorrow or Wednesday, i'm going to escalate this situation further up. I too think its absolute BS that UPS can't give me any information. I've emailed Jeramy Kindle @ Kindle racing to see the value he declared on my package; still no reply yet...

To everyone doing the Hondata mod and shipping their ECU combo out, please be careful and make sure UPS does their job correctly if using them. I personally will NEVER EVER use them again. In fact, I would've preferred Fedex as the shipping method, but I didn't have much choice as the labels were issued by Kindle...*sigh*
Old 04-18-2005, 06:29 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Aust1n
Nope, that's the thing..."mailboxes etc" just holds the UPS packages...until the UPS driver comes at 5pm and scans/picks up the packages. The onus is on UPS, as someone isn't doing their job properly. The owner at 'Mailboxes etc' recorded that he recieved the package from the customer (me) and gave it to the UPS driver...I'm just mad a UPS as their is no structure in their process...its poorly designed...as right now no one is taking the accountability or followup. I'm going to wait a few more days, and if this trace i requested leads nowhere, I'm going to escalate the issue severely. How can they just 'lose' a package?? If the package is sitting in the depot, at least there should be some sort of communication with the customer or at least a note placed within that tracking# so there is information...and not just leave it alone...the contents in the package are extremely important to me
So who made the label?? You or MBE? You said the label was screwed up...

I've had it happen before where something was shipped to me, but for whatever reason, they never scanned it into the system, so it never got its tracking status updated. But it still showed up on my doorstep several days later via ground.

You sent overnight right?
Old 04-18-2005, 06:43 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by joerockt
So who made the label?? You or MBE? You said the label was screwed up...

I've had it happen before where something was shipped to me, but for whatever reason, they never scanned it into the system, so it never got its tracking status updated. But it still showed up on my doorstep several days later via ground.

You sent overnight right?
The label was created by Kindle Racing and emailed to me. It was for overnight shipping, so even if it wasn't scanned into the system, i should have received my package back from Hondata within about 48 hrs. I just called UPS again and the guy basically stated that the mistake would have been when the label was created; in the system it shows as Kindle's address for the shipper (and not mine), but on the label my return address was put on. This was were the confusion probably began with UPS as they saw a Canadian return address for the 'shipper' on the package, but in the system it shows as Kindle's USA address...my gut feeling tells me that my poor package is just sitting in the Canadian UPS depot, along with the thousands of other packages
Old 04-18-2005, 07:07 PM
Just dial 1911

The label was created by Kindle Racing and emailed to me. It was for overnight shipping, so even if it wasn't scanned into the system, i should have received my package back from Hondata within about 48 hrs. I just called UPS again and the guy basically stated that the mistake would have been when the label was created; in the system it shows as Kindle's address for the shipper (and not mine), but on the label my return address was put on. This was were the confusion probably began with UPS as they saw a Canadian return address for the 'shipper' on the package, but in the system it shows as Kindle's USA address...my gut feeling tells me that my poor package is just sitting in the Canadian UPS depot, along with the thousands of other packages
Well, it sounds like UPS isnt the one to blame. I would hope that Kindle Racing is doing everything they can to help you get your ECU back.

Its pretty jacked though that UPS can track a number that was scanned in (as far as you know according to what MBE said).
Old 04-18-2005, 07:15 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Yeah, how has your customer service been with Kindle?

I just sent them payment for my ECU today, but I haven't heard back yet.
I'm in the US though, so I'm hoping that I won't run into the same type of problems.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:17 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Tsx536
Yeah, how has your customer service been with Kindle?

I just sent them payment for my ECU today, but I haven't heard back yet.
I'm in the US though, so I'm hoping that I won't run into the same type of problems.
Jeramy Kindle's been great so far; he's been pretty good helping me out, and even called me last week to try to reassure me. I sent him an email today but he didn't reply back yet...so I'm just awaiting his response...
Old 04-19-2005, 10:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Isn't Canada part of the US? If not when did this happen?
Old 04-19-2005, 11:01 AM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by DEVO
Isn't Canada part of the US? If not when did this happen?
:shakehead
Old 04-19-2005, 12:22 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Jeramy Kindle's been great so far; he's been pretty good helping me out, and even called me last week to try to reassure me. I sent him an email today but he didn't reply back yet...so I'm just awaiting his response...
I still haven't heard back from him. I've been trying to email him since last Friday. I heard he was at a race all weekend. I hope he comes through today. I was hoping to ship my package out today, but I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:52 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Tsx536
I still haven't heard back from him. I've been trying to email him since last Friday. I heard he was at a race all weekend. I hope he comes through today. I was hoping to ship my package out today, but I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow.
Yeah, Jeramy hasn't replied back to my email yet either...he's probably at a race...
Old 04-19-2005, 08:13 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Yeah, Jeramy hasn't replied back to my email yet either...he's probably at a race...
Yeah, I still havne't heard from him either.
I'm beginning to wonder if I should just put the ECU back in my car now and cancel all of my plans.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:11 PM
Use all 3 Pedals at once

^Come down to Irvine this Friday
Old 04-19-2005, 10:02 PM
Cruisin'

does anyone know how much an engine immobilzer and key replacement will cost? I managed to find someone on ebay selling an ECU for cheap...picked it up just in case UPS really loses my stuff once and for all. Now I need the pricing on the immobilizer, as well as the programming of a new key to work with it...any help??
Old 04-19-2005, 11:39 PM

As posted in the thread regarding the sale of Hondata, we were at the NHRA race in Las Vegas, so there should be no shock that I have not emailed any of you back. I also only received one voice mail from anyone on here, which stated that whomever it was wanted to send out their ECU on Wednesday and they had already paid; thats still going to happen.

Regarding this situation with UPS, I have done all that I can do. I have shipped with UPS since 1998 and this is the second package they have just flat out lost; while that is still 2 too many, we do have to be gratious that we can send something across the country for just a few dollars. Obviously I will try to help resolve this issue for Austin any way I can, but this has nothing to do with my business.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jdkindle
As posted in the thread regarding the sale of Hondata, we were at the NHRA race in Las Vegas, so there should be no shock that I have not emailed any of you back. I also only received one voice mail from anyone on here, which stated that whomever it was wanted to send out their ECU on Wednesday and they had already paid; thats still going to happen.

Regarding this situation with UPS, I have done all that I can do. I have shipped with UPS since 1998 and this is the second package they have just flat out lost; while that is still 2 too many, we do have to be gratious that we can send something across the country for just a few dollars. Obviously I will try to help resolve this issue for Austin any way I can, but this has nothing to do with my business.

UPS lost the package. Not Jeramy. Don't sweat him so much on this. I used UPS internationally and in the states for my previous parts distribution ventures since 2000 and only had one shipment get lost. These parts also included full suspensions for S2000s on a monthly basis. Those things are not only huge, but also $2500 a pop. I'll still use them after this matter.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:04 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by kurt_bradley

UPS lost the package. Not Jeramy. Don't sweat him so much on this. I used UPS internationally and in the states for my previous parts distribution ventures since 2000 and only had one shipment get lost. These parts also included full suspensions for S2000s on a monthly basis. Those things are not only huge, but also $2500 a pop. I'll still use them after this matter.
I agree, its not Jeramy's fault...he's been of great help and very professional; hopefully the matters get resolved quickly. This has nothing to do with Kindle racing's business, so people who wish to do the Hondata reflash, I encourage you to do so
Old 04-20-2005, 10:09 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
This has nothing to do with Kindle racing's business,

And I'm not sure anyone in this thread suggested it did
Old 04-20-2005, 10:13 AM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by domn
And I'm not sure anyone in this thread suggested it did

I still suspect the driver dude and the MBE owner...

Aust1n, the ECU for sale on eBay... are you sure it's not yours??

Any official update from UPS on this matter?
Old 04-20-2005, 11:15 AM
Senior Moderator

I hope you bought the correct ECU off ebay as it was for an AT.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:10 PM
Cruisin'

GREAT NEWS EVERYONE:

Guess who came knocking on my door today?? UPS!! They found my package and shipped it back to me ASAP!!! I'm SOOOOOOOOOO HAPPPY!!!

However, I think that now that i have the ECU back in my hands, i'm gonna ship it via FEDEX overnight to Hondata...although I'm gonna have to pay for the shipping there and back, at least I can be assured it'll be done right...

Thanks for everyone on their help!

Austin
Old 04-20-2005, 12:14 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
phew!

Old 04-20-2005, 12:17 PM
Senior Moderator

now go get the reflash done!
Old 04-20-2005, 12:25 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Definitely don't stop now because then all your pain would be for nothing.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:30 PM
Top notch 6MT

I here by retract my suspicion on that UPS driver and MBE owner

Any detail as to where/how they ended up locating it?
Old 04-20-2005, 12:49 PM

GREAT NEWS EVERYONE:

Guess who came knocking on my door today?? UPS!! They found my package and shipped it back to me ASAP!!! I'm SOOOOOOOOOO HAPPPY!!!

However, I think that now that i have the ECU back in my hands, i'm gonna ship it via FEDEX overnight to Hondata...although I'm gonna have to pay for the shipping there and back, at least I can be assured it'll be done right...

Thanks for everyone on their help!

Austin
Let me know how much it is, and I will reimburse you. Glad it is home

-J
Old 04-20-2005, 01:03 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by jdkindle
Let me know how much it is, and I will reimburse you. Glad it is home

-J
damn, that's service with a smile
Old 04-20-2005, 01:08 PM