Upgrade Brake Rotor Performance?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 10:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrade Brake Rotor Performance?

Hey I am considering to buy upgrade brake rotor performance for my TSX because I cant stand the rusty of OEM brake rotor, it looked terrible. I know that aftermarket for brake rotor offer Powerslot, Rotora, Racing Brake, Brembo, and Stoptech. I like Racing Brake but front and rear are different design. I also like Powerslot and Rotora, but not sure about Stoptech. I also looked at Ebay that they offer different upgrade brake rotor for TSX but not sure if they are good quality or not. I like some of them on Ebay and good deal for all 4 brake rotors. My 94 accord has Powerstop drilled and love it. It looked much better than OEM. I wonder if anyone who own TSX with upgrade brake, please send a pic. I can take look at it. Any suggestions? Thanks, George
Old 06-05-2006, 11:48 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What no "Hey guy"?

ALL cast iron rotors will rust, including the above mentioned. So unless you plan on shelling out big bucks for ceramic or magnesium, your going to have to live with those few seconds of rust that gets brushed away anyway the very first time you brake after a wash.

I have crossdrilled Stoptechs in front and Rotoras in the rear...And guess what...They rust after a wash!! DAMN YOU OXYIDATION!!!!
Old 06-05-2006, 11:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

I forgot to type "guy" there on my comment, haha. Well I know that all brake rotor will get rust but I want to get better brake performance for my TSX. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:56 PM
The Village Idiot

Originally Posted by joerockt
What no "Hey guy"?
Old 06-06-2006, 12:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Hey guy, I was looking at google and looked for upgrade brake rotor. I found that Powerstop offer new brake rotor for TSX, they came with Slotted, Drilled with Slotted brake rotor. Check website: http://www.racepages.com/performance...ped_brand=true
I am thinking about Powerslot or Powerstop or Rotora. I kind of like Powerslot and Powerstop. Because I have Powerstop on my 94 accord for 3 years and love it.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:20 AM
Yohan

how come the rotors on the mazda 3 or rx8, generally all mazdas never rust? I've seen every mazda 3 (old and new) have no brown rusts around the periphery, . All honda rotors rust!
Old 06-06-2006, 07:57 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rotors do not improve stopping performance.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:34 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

My racing brake fronts look much nicer than the Powerslot rears, I'd highly suggest them. MrHeelToe says racing brake is coming out w/ a matching slotted rear, so you could get a whole set of RB if you wait
Old 06-06-2006, 08:34 AM
JBW

I went with Rotora drilled rotors - they were e-coated from Rotora but they did not e-coat all the areas that did not make contact with the pads. I hate the rust as well, so I marked the area which made contact with the pads then took them to a friend of mine and had them powder coated. Basically need to tape of braking area with a special hi-temp tape and then he powder coated the rotors. Still get rust on braking surface after washes if you don't drive(and brake) right away, but no more rust from the hub and vented areas.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:31 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by aaronng
Rotors do not improve stopping performance.
If you get the new rotors, make sure you get some better pads...
Old 06-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I just got my Powerslot rotors but haven't put them on yet because I'm still waiting for my Hawk pads, which have been backordered .
Old 06-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by xizor
My racing brake fronts look much nicer than the Powerslot rears, I'd highly suggest them. MrHeelToe says racing brake is coming out w/ a matching slotted rear, so you could get a whole set of RB if you wait

This is the way to go....all the other rotors are simply inferior to the Racingbrake UP rotors. There are no two ways about it.

Performance alloy, curved vanes, and heat treating. None can match any of these advantages.

Marcus
Old 06-06-2006, 11:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by joerockt
If you get the new rotors, make sure you get some better pads...

That is not necessarily true though.....

If we consider longevity a performance aspect, improved rotors will increase performance because, at least in the case of Racingbrakes, they last longer.

If the rotors have curved vanes, again ***inster-MrHeeltoe-brand_RB-propoganda-here*** they will cool considerably faster than stock and will allow more deeper braking, longer braking, and more repeatedly without overheating. Performance+

I think the reason a lot of people don't see an increase in performance with aftermarket rotors is because most of them suck...even compared to stock.

Marcus
Old 06-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe

I think the reason a lot of people don't see an increase in performance with aftermarket rotors is because most of them suck...even compared to stock.

Marcus
But hey, they look good
Old 06-06-2006, 11:27 AM
no0bIe

That is not necessarily true though.....

If we consider longevity a performance aspect, improved rotors will increase performance because, at least in the case of Racingbrakes, they last longer.

If the rotors have curved vanes, again ***inster-MrHeeltoe-brand_RB-propoganda-here*** they will cool considerably faster than stock and will allow more deeper braking, longer braking, and more repeatedly without overheating. Performance+

Marcus
I can atest to this!!! Go w/ racing brake rotors and hawk pads. Lemme tell you it's totally night and day.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:31 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by kboosman00
I can atest to this!!! Go w/ racing brake rotors and hawk pads. Lemme tell you it's totally night and day.
What did you pay for this setup? You went Racing Brake front rotors and Hawk pads all the way around?
Old 06-06-2006, 12:44 PM
Synaesthesia sounds sweet

Originally Posted by kboosman00

the only issue I have is they need to get warm b/f they really grab. But I usually get them warm enough when leaving my neighborhood.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:00 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
what does it take to warm them up?
Old 06-06-2006, 01:24 PM
Synaesthesia sounds sweet

A few California stops from 20-30 after it's been in the garage over night. That's to get them to OEM grippage. Seems the hotter they get the better they grab.

Of course if you get them smoking they don't grip as well

Also, I have noticed after cruising on the interstate for a long period w/o braking the curved vanes do their job very well. The braking won't bite as quickly as if you were in the city or just hit the brakes a few minutes prior.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:34 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
how is the breaking performance when the pads are cold compared to stock brake pads?
Old 06-06-2006, 01:58 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

^^^ I thought we should comparing when the pads are hot, not when they are cold. After couples of stop the brake will get hot (when the car is moving).
Old 06-06-2006, 04:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by xizor
I wonder if you can show us your picture of new brake rotor on your car? I would be happy to see it. If MrHeelToe offers slotted front and rear then I would be happy to check it out with him. I am considering to buy it pretty soon. Thanks zixor.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hey MrHeelToe,

I wonder if you have Racing Brake Slotted brake rotor in Front and Rear for TSX? I know that Racing Brake offers two different design of braker rotor in front and rear. I just wonder, Thanks.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:31 PM
Former Sponsor

This hot cold thing is REALLY REALLY nitpicky. The brakes are cold until you get out of the neighborhood. Figure, by the time you car is warmed up so are your brakes. And any dip in performance can in no way be considered a compromise in performance.

Hot and cold are relative terms. Of course they are cold when the car has been sitting all night long, like ambient temp. "Cold" in the performance braking world is more like 300-500 degrees. So to say they have cold performance REALLY means that the brakes will not perform at street-type operating temps, which is false.

It is just another example of how different opinions and persepective spread rumor and misinformation on the internet.

The rears, for the TSX, and I mentioned in another thread, are coming soon and I will let you all know when the come in! They currently advertise a mismatched setup, but that is only temorary.

Marcus
Old 06-07-2006, 02:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for information, MrHeelToe.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:44 AM
Instructor

The rears, for the TSX, and I mentioned in another thread, are coming soon and I will let you all know when the come in! They currently advertise a mismatched setup, but that is only temorary.

Marcus
I read from another thread that the RB rotors screw holes don't match up to the car. Is this true? Will this be corrected for both front and rear?
Old 07-11-2006, 12:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by peterjedi
I read from another thread that the RB rotors screw holes don't match up to the car. Is this true? Will this be corrected for both front and rear?

They don't line up no. But it really is consequential. These screws do nothing for saftey, performance, or anything. All they do is hold the rotor to the hub during installation as a convenience. Over my years of working on Hondas, this screw has been more of an annoyance than an aid. They always get seized and ruined.

Marcus
Old 07-11-2006, 02:13 PM
Instructor

They don't line up no. But it really is consequential. These screws do nothing for saftey, performance, or anything. All they do is hold the rotor to the hub during installation as a convenience. Over my years of working on Hondas, this screw has been more of an annoyance than an aid. They always get seized and ruined.

Marcus
Exactly.. my cousins civic.. had to drill those screws out... (2 weeks ago)
Old 07-23-2006, 01:58 AM
10th Gear

Wilwood Calipers & Alum Hats...

Joining the party a little late here, but if anyone is paying attention, check out the website below:

www.fastbrakes.com

They offer a few nice kits. Some examples are aluminum hats with 12.2 or 13 inch "floating" rotors with either 4 or 6 piston Wilwood calipers. This looks like the trick set-up. Less weight and improved stopping, what more can a guy want for a street set-up? In any case, when the Porterfield R4s pads wear down to the point requiring replacment, the 12.2 inch floating rotors pinned to the aluminum hats with the 4 pot Wilwood will grace this blogger's car. Have a great day everybody!
Old 07-23-2006, 10:37 AM
Racer

Marcus
This is 100% correct. I hate that screw, it's the only reason I have 2 sets of EZ-outs in my tool cabinet! It's one of the first things to go on every single Honda/Acura I have ever owned.