TSX DRLs - need your help

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 12:00 PM
The Power of a Grill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question TSX DRLs - need your help

I wrote hamsar and asked them about applications for DRLs on the acura TSX (high beams @60% reduction), and here is the response:

[I]Unfortunately we do not have any information on this application. In
order to advise you the compatible DRL for the Acura TSX 04-06, we will
require a wiring diagram showing the head lamps back to the dashboard.
I can then forward this to one of our engineers for review.

Please send the diagram to my email address or fax to my attention at
905 332-9020.

Marcela Uribe
Bilingual Customer Service
Hamsar Diversco
Tel 1800-567-5483
Fax 905-332-9020[/I

can someone with the diagram help me out? I do a lot of highway driving and would like to have DRLs on my car without having to turn on full HIDs.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:23 PM
iVTEC no koe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the CDN model uses a DRL module, you might be able to buy one from Honda/Acura dealer. I remember the one for the Accord is about $150CDN.

Edit:

Found this thread, full DIY:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136827
Old 07-05-2006, 12:06 AM
The Power of a Grill

too much rewiring for CDN drl - it uses a light sensor and stuff. the one im looking at reduces light by 60% and is for high beams only. it shuts off @ lights on or with parking break, turns on and off with ignition. there is also one for HID and fogs, or just fogs, but i want the high beam lights @ 40%.

anyone have the wiring diagrams for high beams?
Old 07-05-2006, 07:36 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I didn't think the CDN TSX has light sensors for the DRL's. I was alway sunder the impression that when I turn the car on, the DRL's are not on, until I put the parking brake down (then the DRL's go on -- 40-50% of high-beam power).

They only go off when low-beams are turned on, or car is turned off.

I don't see a need for a light sensor -- where did you hear/read that?
Old 07-05-2006, 07:42 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
There isn't any light sensor involved.

San-Ant, I think the DRLs can be turned on by any honda/acura dealer with a Honda Diagnostics System computer (HDS). As far as I know, there isn't any special hardware needed, it's just an option that needs to be enabled in the car's software.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Martin
There isn't any light sensor involved.

San-Ant, I think the DRLs can be turned on by any honda/acura dealer with a Honda Diagnostics System computer (HDS). As far as I know, there isn't any special hardware needed, it's just an option that needs to be enabled in the car's software.
There is a relay, fuse and a few other things that would need to be done to the best of my knowledge.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:25 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by moda_way
There is a relay, fuse and a few other things that would need to be done to the best of my knowledge.
I understand most others cars, like my Impala need the relay module. However, I do know that my Impala has sensors in the rearview mirror, front-facing and rear-facing, to adjust the dimming on the mirror, and possibly even for the DRLs.

The back-facing sensor looks for light coming into the cabin from cars behind you, and dims the rearview mirror accordingly. The TSX already has this sensor, because we have auto-dimming mirrors.

However, I know there also is a forward facing sensor in the Impala's mirror. I cant remember if this is used by the DRLs, but I can't think of any other reason to put one in that location.

But I think it is cheaper for Acura simply to not install the relay for U.S. cars. After you drive a car with DRLs, it's kind of like a passive safety feature that you miss having. I wish the Acura had it too.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:32 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Zoopa
I understand most others cars, like my Impala need the relay module. However, I do know that my Impala has sensors in the rearview mirror, front-facing and rear-facing, to adjust the dimming on the mirror, and possibly even for the DRLs.

The back-facing sensor looks for light coming into the cabin from cars behind you, and dims the rearview mirror accordingly. The TSX already has this sensor, because we have auto-dimming mirrors.

However, I know there also is a forward facing sensor in the Impala's mirror. I cant remember if this is used by the DRLs, but I can't think of any other reason to put one in that location.

But I think it is cheaper for Acura simply to not install the relay for U.S. cars. After you drive a car with DRLs, it's kind of like a passive safety feature that you miss having. I wish the Acura had it too.
Those sensors are solely for dimming the mirrors. The front facing sensor provides one reading and the rear sensor provides a separate reading. The front facing sensor is the baseine reading to establish the current level of ambient light. The rear sensor detects the appearance of light coming from the rear (such as headlights of a car behind you). The two readings are compared and if the rear sensor detects substantially more light than the front one, if knows to dim the mirrors.

These sensors have absolutely zero to do with DRLs. DRLs are designed to be on when the car is in motion during the day (so headlights off, parking brake off).
Old 07-05-2006, 09:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Zoopa
Acura does have it, it just isn't a law here.

I could argue the point of DRLs, but I'll leave it at saying, "Useless".

Neat feature, but useless when everyone else on the road has them too.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Those sensors are solely for dimming the mirrors. The front facing sensor provides one reading and the rear sensor provides a separate reading. The front facing sensor is the baseine reading to establish the current level of ambient light. The rear sensor detects the appearance of light coming from the rear (such as headlights of a car behind you). The two readings are compared and if the rear sensor detects substantially more light than the front one, if knows to dim the mirrors.

These sensors have absolutely zero to do with DRLs. DRLs are designed to be on when the car is in motion during the day (so headlights off, parking brake off).
EXACTLY.

And I really don't see why the US has been so slow to even think of adopting the DRL as standard equipment. It is a LOT safer having DRL's on the road (although took years for 90+% of cars to actually have them once the law was passed). Passing in low-light conditions, you know with good certainty if there are cars oncoming, whereas without DRL's, you are forced to try to look for slight color changes or whatnot, and the obviousness of a car in the oncoming lane is greatly diminished.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:03 AM

Acura does have it, it just isn't a law here.

I could argue the point of DRLs, but I'll leave it at saying, "Useless".

Neat feature, but useless when everyone else on the road has them too.
I assume you meant "Neat feature, but useless unless everyone else on the road has them too.

??

Otherwise I don't even think the safety thing can be used as an argument against them - they've been proven safety-enhancers for years now.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:12 AM

Edit to above post:

Safety studies: http://www.ibiblio.org/rdu/DRLs/studies.htm

And from http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/drl.html

4. How effective are DRLs? Nearly all published reports indicate DRLs reduce multiple-vehicle daytime crashes. Evidence about DRL effects on crashes comes from studies conducted in Scandinavia, Canada, and the United States. A study examining the effect of Norway's DRL law from 1980 to 1990 found a 10 percent decline in daytime multiple-vehicle crashes.1 A Danish study reported a 7 percent reduction in DRL-relevant crashes in the first 15 months after DRL use was required and a 37 percent decline in left-turn crashes.2 In a second study covering 2 years and 9 months of Denmark's law, there was a 6 percent reduction in daytime multiple-vehicle crashes and a 34 percent reduction in left-turn crashes.3 A 1994 Transport Canada study comparing 1990 model year vehicles with DRLs to 1989 vehicles without them found that DRLs reduced relevant daytime multiple-vehicle crashes by 11 percent.4

In the United States, a 1985 Institute study determined that commercial fleet passenger vehicles modified to operate with DRLs were involved in 7 percent fewer daytime multiple-vehicle crashes than similar vehicles without DRLs.5 A small-scale fleet study conducted in the 1960s found an 18 percent lower daytime multiple-vehicle crash rate for DRL-equipped vehicles.6 Multiple-vehicle daytime crashes account for about half of all police-reported crashes in the United States. A 2002 Institute study reported a 3 percent decline in daytime multiple-vehicle crash risk in nine US states concurrent with the introduction of DRLs.7 Federal researchers, using data collected nationwide, concluded that there was a 5 percent decline in daytime, two-vehicle, opposite-direction crashes and a 12 percent decline in fatal crashes with pedestrians and bicyclists.8
Old 07-05-2006, 11:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I have the images for both the USA and Canada models. However, they are too large to post so you will need to right-click the links below and download them.

Canada

USA
Old 07-05-2006, 11:38 AM
The Power of a Grill

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004

i know that in my old car, the sensor on the dash would switch the car from DRL to full nighttime lights (full low beam, parking, etc.) depending on the light output.

but back to my original qeusiton: can somebody scan the wiring diagrams for the high beams? or does anybody know where i can get one?
Old 07-05-2006, 11:40 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by San-AnT
i know that in my old car, the sensor on the dash would switch the car from DRL to full nighttime lights (full low beam, parking, etc.) depending on the light output.
That's only if you have auto-on headlights, which the TSX does not. That sensor isn't on the rearview mirror though...
Old 07-05-2006, 02:08 PM
Photography Nerd

Originally Posted by San-AnT
but back to my original qeusiton: can somebody scan the wiring diagrams for the high beams? or does anybody know where i can get one?
See the post above you...
Old 07-05-2006, 02:19 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is DRL?
Old 07-05-2006, 02:19 PM
Photography Nerd

I can't figure out a few things from the schematic:

1) What does the Relay Control Module look like?
2) The only difference between the two shchematics is the CDN-spec cars have a DRL relay and a couple extra fuses. What tells the relay to activate? Maybe this is where the reprogramming of the computer comes in with the HDS module.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:20 PM
Photography Nerd

Originally Posted by HaPPy jU1cE
what is DRL?
Daytime Running Lights

They just run your highbeams at 35w instead of the normal 55w.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by curls

In the United States, a 1985 Institute study determined that commercial fleet passenger vehicles modified to operate with DRLs were involved in 7 percent fewer daytime multiple-vehicle crashes than similar vehicles without DRLs.5 A small-scale fleet study conducted in the 1960s found an 18 percent lower daytime multiple-vehicle crash rate for DRL-equipped vehicles.6 Multiple-vehicle daytime crashes account for about half of all police-reported crashes in the United States. A 2002 Institute study reported a 3 percent decline in daytime multiple-vehicle crash risk in nine US states concurrent with the introduction of DRLs.7 Federal researchers, using data collected nationwide, concluded that there was a 5 percent decline in daytime, two-vehicle, opposite-direction crashes and a 12 percent decline in fatal crashes with pedestrians and bicyclists.8
Concurrent introduction is not a cause and effect... it is at best, loosely related. Let's also not forget the number of drivers on the road these days that have implemented DRLs... if there was that strong of a correlation, I'd expect to see better numbers.

The story sounds good for DRLs, but statistics can be used to tell any story you want them to.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:43 PM
The Power of a Grill

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
See the post above you...

doh! thanks guys. im sending them off (both). we'll see what they say.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:52 PM
The Power of a Grill

The story sounds good for DRLs, but statistics can be used to tell any story you want them to.

99% of all statistics are wrong
Old 07-05-2006, 05:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I think you might be out of luck due to the way how MICU works... However, there might be a way to over-ride the control signal via another circuit. Perhaps KPTechnologies can come up with another control module.

Note: Large pics. Right-click and download the images.

DRL

MICU
Old 07-05-2006, 10:37 PM
The Power of a Grill

thanks again, JTso . i'll forward the info. i'll try and find the schematics for the modules they use.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:37 PM
The Power of a Grill

I ordered the hamsar 45035 module ( http://www.hamsar.com/drlkits.htm#1 ) today. According to the engineer over at hamsar, everything should wire in easily. I'll keep everyone updated when this gets installed. thanks again JTso for the scans.

BTW, i have Nokya Hyper yellow h1's on my car - part of the reason i want the drls on my high beams.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:36 PM
The Power of a Grill

kit on backorder. should be here by next week.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm bringing this out from the dead. Reason being: purchased a 2007 black / black TSX from the States and will be importing it to Canada next week. I have 45 days (from time of entry) to get DRLs to work on the car such that I comply with Canadian laws.

Anyone get this project to work? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-13-2006, 02:13 PM
Racer

Thanks for brining this back out from the dead. I would like to install DRLS too, my previous car had them and it is one less thing to turn on (after okaying the Navi), safety is not a concern.

Is there a distributor for the Canadian parts mentioned earlier in this thread?
Old 12-14-2006, 11:10 PM
The Power of a Grill

yes. P.U.M.A. is the US distributor.

see: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...001#post649001