Swapping Cam Shafts with the Type-R

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 10:28 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Swapping Cam Shafts with the Type-R

I know along with this I have to tweek the pulleys and other things, however would this be a smart mod? I'm thinking it'll add around 15hp to the wheels by increasing the Rev. What do you guys think?
Old 05-03-2004, 10:31 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
What are you basing that 15hp off of? How will changing the cams increase revs?
Old 05-03-2004, 10:44 PM
Instructor

Well I was talking to my friend with a Type-R and he was telling me how internal modifications can increase the power of the car alot in order to make a "sleeper car" It's costly to modify the cam shafts, pulleys, bore out the piston chambers, replace springs and pistons.. etc. However I can't really explain everything since my knowledge is fairly limited however, this might help. I know for sure though that type-R cam shafts can fit in the k24 engine.

http://www.newcovenant.com/speedcraf...am/default.asp

The camshaft "controls" engine breathing. It determines when the engine breathes, and (if the rest of the engine has been prepared for it) it controls how deeply the engine breathes. The camshaft also determines how well the engine "holds its breath." It determines at what speed the engine has the best volume of air/fuel mixture in the cylinders.

Long Duration cam, with lots of overlap, either loses fresh air/fuel mixture out the exhaust ports, or pushes exhaust up into the intake ports, at low speeds. But at high speeds it works to pack more fresh air/fuel mixture into the cylinders. Thus, more high-end power, but poor low-end street manners.

Short Duration cam, with less overlap, retains mixture well at low speeds, but can't allow the engine to breathe as well at high speeds. Thus, more low-end torque, but not much on the top end.

Lift, in general, increases torque and horsepower. But there is a limit. Heads flow best at a certain lift. Refer back to the "Heads" page and look at the Flow Bench chart. You'll see that my heads flow best between 0.4" and 0.5" of lift. To get the best flow, you want to lift the valves JUST BARELY HIGHER than the point of maximum flow. This way, the valve spends the most time possible at maximum lift, and passes the most mixture or exhaust possible. Believe it or not, you can lift the valves too high and actually hurt performance.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:53 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Don't even think about buying a camshaft until you have taken care of your exhaust, heads, and induction FIRST. Otherwise, your new cam will only give you mediocre results at best.
The first line of that page. I would not consider cams as a viable upgrade yet. Although please be the first and post dynos

I know for sure though that type-R cam shafts can fit in the k24 engine
How are you sure the cams fit? I'm guessing you mean the RSX DC5 type-R cams and not your friend's ITR. If you want to read up about cams, go to clubrsx and see what RSX owners have done. Our K24 and their Type-S have the same head, so that might be similar between the 2.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:15 AM
Instructor

Well my friend has the Integra Type-R and though he said it had different engines, his cam will fit the TSX. I also remember seeing something on a TSX JDM sotre about selling type-r cams as upgrades.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:26 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

link this is the site listing the parts, but just b/c they're listed doesn't mean they'll work IMO. They are DC5R parts, that is the RSX Type-R (not sold in the US or CA). They are K series engines so it makes sense they *could* fit. Your friend's is a B series engine, and to me, it seems unlikely his cams would fit.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:37 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the update, but it's highly unlikely that I will do any upgrade like that for a while. I'd rather enjoy the luxury of my car. I mean if I wanted pure speed I would've just looked into an STi or some other rice rocket.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:10 AM
Stokeless

"Tried it....they don't fit. " this was posted by I-MOD i posted this thread already and i take it you havent tried it and he has so i wouldnt waste the money on it...

on top of that you keep refering to the integra type R are you talkin JDM or USDM??? if u are refering to the USDM ITR than your friend is smokin some good crack. the engines are completely different one is just vtec other is with an "I" meaning intelegent...that would not work together to well....plus the k24a2 is much wider of an engine the engineering of the 2 heads are incompatible... so i really hope u are refereing to the DC5...even though those still dont work if u can figure a way for it to mate up and work more power to u i hope u have a lot of cash flow....cuz it will cost alot to buy a DC5 head or to have yours machined to fit those cams =)
Old 05-04-2004, 06:21 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Just to get back to Dan's point, how do you know you will gain hp? I know you have to increase the revs, but with the high piston speeds the TSX already has, how do you know it will safely accept even higher piston speeds? I seriously doubt that even if it fitted, there would be a point to making this mod. Yes the head of the engine can make the engine rev higher, but I don't believe it's the case with the TSX. You'd have to de-stroke it to 2.2l first.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:02 PM
Stokeless

changing the cams alone will not allow you to rev higher with this engine its all computer controlled its not like the older cars with a mechanical rev limiter...you need to do more research before buying the cams...and the piston speed is very high the engine might be able to take 1000 more but only if tuned correctly and possibly needing some reinforcement ie...valve springs retainers, light weight pistons and rods. and a chryo'ed crank...just my thoughts on it
Old 05-04-2004, 09:58 PM
Pro

Damn 15 hp from a Camshafts? That's a pretty bold statement if you ask me.
I know that I-MOD tried on his and didn't fit but I was wondering what does he means by "didn't fit".
Anyway if you're really going into cams then you'll have to buy yourself a flow bench machine first since you have to design your "own" cams as of right now.
It costs more to go NA that turbo that's why you see T'charged, S/C car running all over the street. Also for the same amount of money you put in NA engine you can get MORE power out of FI.
If you really ask me I'd say advance the cams on both IN and EX about 15 degrees, increse the lift duration about 10% than stock. Add some "overlapping" then kick the rev limiter to 7800, also lower your vtec point about 800 RPMs THEN you'll get that 15 hp.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:01 PM
Pro

Oh by the way when you put a very aggressive cams on your car you will eventually loose your drivablity. High lift/duration will kills your low RPMs performance.
Have you seen Spoon's Civic? Yeah that thing revs to 10k but you can't let it idle cuz it'll stall.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:21 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally posted by Stokeless_TSX
"Tried it....they don't fit. " this was posted by I-MOD i posted this thread already and i take it you havent tried it and he has so i wouldnt waste the money on it...

on top of that you keep refering to the integra type R are you talkin JDM or USDM??? if u are refering to the USDM ITR than your friend is smokin some good crack. the engines are completely different one is just vtec other is with an "I" meaning intelegent...that would not work together to well....plus the k24a2 is much wider of an engine the engineering of the 2 heads are incompatible... so i really hope u are refereing to the DC5...even though those still dont work if u can figure a way for it to mate up and work more power to u i hope u have a lot of cash flow....cuz it will cost alot to buy a DC5 head or to have yours machined to fit those cams =)
really?!? that's interesting. well, i met a mechanic who works at acura - and he said that it's possible to change our K24 head to a K20 RSX Type S one. he said that you can buy the whole head (cams, retainers, etc etc) for 1800 USD brand new from acura. he said that it is also possible to put on a K20A JDM Integra DC5 Type R head, I wonder how that would work? the new frankenstien vtec head swap. i wonder if you have to adjust the air/fuel ratio after doin this? and i wonder how much a K20A head would cost....anyone know?
Old 05-05-2004, 03:49 PM
Stokeless

sure switch the head...but then u have to rewire the entire harness. The K20 and k24 have completely different wiring..take it from some who has tried fuckin with the harness. (me) the wires for all the sensors and inputs and outputs are at completely different ecu pin locations. and the drive by wire is another factor. Also changing to an RSX head means u will have to get a standalone ECU. Because the amount of fuel needed for the k24 is more than that of the k20...so u will be running extremely lean in a 2.4 using a 2.0 computer....think it through...just do it right if u are gonna try it. i recommend waiting for hondata k pro....
Old 05-05-2004, 04:12 PM
Instructor

Thanks for all the info guys. Either way I won't be looking into any major internal mods on this car for a while.. (30k miles??) It's a luxury car, so might as well enjoy it. But I definately think internal mods are the way to go. Anyone with enough money can just buy a bolt on and blast their car up with FI. I wouldn't want to race someone with a huge @$$ intercooler in the front of their car. But imagine having your internals worked on and then burning your friends STi or Evo off the line.

Keep in mind the best internal mod you can get is to learn how to drive stick well. I still need to work on launching and double clutching... sigh.

Plus with the price of premium gas these days, who wants to burn up fuel with higher rev limits and lower V-tec kick ins.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:24 PM
Stokeless

double clutching is a waste of time....will do nothin but slow u down while racing....we had a big discussion about this a while back do a search for it im sure u will find it very interesting...hahaha