Stoptech slotted rotors: any rusting on slots?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 12:31 PM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Stoptech slotted rotors: any rusting on slots?

I'm interesting in getting the slotted stoptech sportstop rotors.
Here's a pic:

For those of you that have them, do you note any rusting on the slots? I'm sure the edges of the rotor don't rust as they have the black e-coat on them, but I'm worried that the slots will end up rusting over time. I'm getting these for cosmetic reasons only and not for performance gains. If they rust, I might as well just try the basic centric rotors.

please post your experiences...
Old 01-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The slots will be too full of crap to rust. Don't worry about it.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:49 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
The slots will be too full of crap to rust. Don't worry about it.
Pictures?.....
Old 01-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
No pics needed on that one man. Brake dust builds up in the slots and blocks surface corrosion from forming.

It should be noted that Stoptech, since they have acquired the brand name Powerslot, no longer have the black coating on slotted-only rotors. They have a zinc coating on them now to inhibit rust.

Marcus
Old 01-21-2009, 02:36 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^
Marcus, would the same thing (dust buildup)effect the Racingbrake Rotors on your website? Basically does that happen to all slotted rotors unless they are specially treated in some way?
Old 01-21-2009, 02:39 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
No pics needed on that one man. Brake dust builds up in the slots and blocks surface corrosion from forming.

It should be noted that Stoptech, since they have acquired the brand name Powerslot, no longer have the black coating on slotted-only rotors. They have a zinc coating on them now to inhibit rust.

Marcus
Interesting. Marcus, I know you don't sell Centric's regular rotors, but do these have the black coating as well? I was under the impression from the pictures I've seen of the soptech slotted and drilled rotors, that these still have the black coating. Are you talking about the two part premium rotors that have zinc coating? Looking at centric's website, it looks like they still show regular stoptech sportstop rotors as having the black coating. Please correct me if I'm mistaken or the website is out of date.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:45 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It happens to them all no matter what. Slotted, dimpled, drilled (to a lesser extent). You've got a bunch of nooks and crannies right where all the dust comes from, it's unavoidable. The dust is piping hot when it comes off so what tends to happen is that melts into a hard glassy deposit that accumulates in the recesses. For reasons I don't understand, on my civic it built up higher than the surface of the rotor and I had to clear out the vanes with a chisel. It happened on two occasions and I never figured out why. The rest of the time it was fine.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts

Marcus
Actually Marcus, they changed this up a little. Yes Centric still does own Powerslot and STOPTECH. The Sportstop rotors are still being made like they were before with the black e-coating on the hub and vanes. The Powerslot rotor has a silver CAD plating and the slot goes to the end of the rotor.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:40 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Excelerate

Actually Marcus, they changed this up a little. Yes Centric still does own Powerslot and STOPTECH. The Sportstop rotors are still being made like they were before with the black e-coating on the hub and vanes. The Powerslot rotor has a silver CAD plating and the slot goes to the end of the rotor.
These slotted rotors and the regular centric blanks don't still have that issue where part of the surface rusts do they? Here's a link to an old thread from 2004. Just wanted to make sure this is no longer an issue with their rotors.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...light=stoptech
Old 01-22-2009, 09:55 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by CJ Majesty
Joo Wan-na je Pit-tures......... essay.

Ahh. Are did you purchase these rotors recently? It looks like the black e-coating really hasn't prevented any rusting on the edges of the rotors or the hub Too bad. I guess it was just marketing hype. I'm trying to find rotors that don't rust on the edges and hub. It's weird because centric touts that their rotors never do this due to the powder coating. Hmmmm...
Old 01-22-2009, 09:59 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Jottle
Ahh. Are did you purchase these rotors recently? It looks like the black e-coating really hasn't prevented any rusting on the edges of the rotors or the hub Too bad. I guess it was just marketing hype. I'm trying to find rotors that don't rust on the edges and hub. It's weird because centric touts that their rotors never do this due to the powder coating. Hmmmm...
I bought the fronts in 2006 and the rears in 2008.

These are the power slots not the stop techs. The outside is rust the inside is brake dust and CRUD!!!

Last edited by CJ Majesty; 01-22-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by CJ Majesty
I bouth the fronts in 2006 and the rears in 2008.

These are the power slots not the stop techs. The outside is rust the inside is brake dust and CRUD!!!
I see. So these didn't have the black coating, but the stop techs do?
Old 01-22-2009, 11:01 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Jottle
I see. So these didn't have the black coating, but the stop techs do?
No... these did not have any black coating when I got them. I dont know what the stoptechs have.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelerate

Thanks for the clarification. I know I have that info somewhere but was too lazy to look for it. Haha. It takes 2 vendors to get the whole story sometimes.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. I know I have that info somewhere but was too lazy to look for it. Haha. It takes 2 vendors to get the whole story sometimes.
You know what they say: it takes two to tango.

In fact, I learned something about the 02 sensors and the CEL eliminators on one of your previous posts and oxygen content. So thanks for clarifying that for me.