Springs affecting the ride

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 10:08 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Springs affecting the ride

First Post

Im looking into getting either the Comptech or the Eiback Pro Kit lowering springs. Can anyone who has this done to their car let me know how it affected the ride of the TSX? Is it a bumpy ride now, uncomfortable at all? Thanks Peace!

Carbon Grey 5sp with Navi
Old 12-12-2003, 07:39 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
i have the pro kit installed in my car and am very pleased with it. i live in massachusetts where the roads vary from smooth to bumpy as hell. you will feel the bumps in the road substantially more with the pro kit installed. that is the only downside. other than that it makes the car dive much less when you are braking, squat much less when you are accelerating and doesn't roll as much when you are cornering. plus it looks a hundred times better (in my opinion) once the gap in the wheel well is made smaller by the drop. it doesn't look slammed but more the way i think it should have looked in the first place.

from what i have heard, the comptech springs are the way to go if you want to try and retain the stock ride as much as possible. and the eibach sportline springs are probably too much of a drop for the stock struts to handle well.

hope that helps.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have the neuspeed springs installed and my impressions are pretty much inline with jiggaman. after settling for a few weeks it seems like the ride just got smoother, reminds me of the stock ride except the bumps are a tad sharper and firmer
Old 12-13-2003, 12:52 PM
10th Gear

That helps tons, thanks so much. The wife is hooking me up for Christmas. She understands these are things I want for my TSX. I use to drive a 96 GTI completely euro'ed out. Im in real estate now so I had to get something I can haul clients around in and still looks good and feels sporty.
Old 12-13-2003, 10:01 PM
Instructor

thanks a lot guys. i'm looking at getting some springs as well. anybody use the H&R springs. i imagine they're similar to the eibach and neuspeed springs. as far as the comptech springs, i know they lower the car a bit. do they improve dive/squat/ and roll as much as the eibach, neuspeed?
Old 12-15-2003, 10:51 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

i have the eibach pro kit for about three months now. to me it was a drastic change from the smooth comfortable stock ride. the drop is cleam, not too low, not too high, and i'm rolling on 18" volk racing wheels...

to be honest, the tsx doesn't look that bad dropped on stocks...

handling is improved, i noticed a LOT less roll, even in subtle cornering...

i was considering getting tein coilover, but despite what anyone says, i think the ride is horrible compared to lowering springs..my friend has a civic with the tein flex and it still rides like crap. but whatever, some people think that 1100 suspension is worth it, i don't...pro kits are fine, but just don't expect to get that slammed look, you won't get that unless you get coilovers....
Old 12-16-2003, 08:47 AM
Kickstand

You dont want coilovers for everyday driving...too much noise. And if you do want to keep the noise down you have to clean and lube them all the time. I have the eibach pro kit and it was a good investment. The ride is firm but not ruff. The drop is for the people who want the look of a lowered car without the fear of scraping over speed bumps. The car looks more like a bmw instead of a 4x4.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:19 AM
Instructor

thanks a lot for the info guys. i am definitely looking for a set-up that will improve handling but not seriously adversely affect ride quality. i'm thinking of putting the comptech sway bar on 1st, then take it from there. in all likelihood, i'll probably drop it on either the eibach or neuspeed springs. the car has too much dive and squat for my taste. i bet braking will improve also, cause you're not dumping all that weight to the front brakes when the car dives on the stock springs.

you guys know of anyone else whos coming out with sway bar?
Old 12-16-2003, 11:35 AM
Burning Brakes

im thinking about getting the mugen shock and springs? anyone have comments on these? its just a 1 inch drop w/ no coilovers i think. any suggestions?
Old 12-16-2003, 03:30 PM
Registered AssHat

Originally posted by dzuy
i have the eibach pro kit for about three months now. to me it was a drastic change from the smooth comfortable stock ride.
Could you explain what you mean? Do you mean the ride is signifcantly harsher, or that it feels more "controlled", etc.?
Old 12-16-2003, 06:37 PM
10th Gear

Jiggaman whose BUTT is that on your icon NIIICE hahaha!

Well now everyone has me wondering whether or not I should go in the direction of the Pro Kit now. With the pro kit do you need a camber kit, cause I know with the Comptech you dont?
Old 12-16-2003, 07:57 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally posted by vince pennington
Jiggaman whose BUTT is that on your icon NIIICE hahaha!

Well now everyone has me wondering whether or not I should go in the direction of the Pro Kit now. With the pro kit do you need a camber kit, cause I know with the Comptech you dont?
its a nice girl who is on www.onionbooty.com
Old 12-18-2003, 09:13 PM
Intermediate

Comptech Springs

I've got a set of Comptech springs that are new in new the box. I haven't installed them and don't think I will. I think I'm going to just keep the stock suspension. I'd be willing to sell them to you if you're interested. Let me know.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:52 PM
Registered AssHat

Re: Comptech Springs

Originally posted by rajuncajun
I've got a set of Comptech springs that are new in new the box. I haven't installed them and don't think I will. I think I'm going to just keep the stock suspension. I'd be willing to sell them to you if you're interested. Let me know.
I'm interested. E-mail me at "a767_at_hushmail_dot_com" or PM me with what you're asking for them (aside from shipping)
Old 12-19-2003, 02:08 PM
10th Gear

Hey Rajun Cajun, why are you not installing those Comptech springs? Have you heard that they affect the ride to much? Or is this just a personal decision.

Oh and Jiggaman thanks for the website location. Peace!
Old 12-20-2003, 02:23 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by tuan209
im thinking about getting the mugen shock and springs? anyone have comments on these? its just a 1 inch drop w/ no coilovers i think. any suggestions?
let us know if you get them I'd be curious to know how it compares to stock. Theoretically, it should be the best setup since the springs and shocks have been designed to work together, the only thing that's stopping me is the price $1000
Old 12-20-2003, 02:28 PM
Burning Brakes

im leaning towards getting them also, buy my car doesnt arrive til middle to late jan. i havent decided if im going to get the mugen springs first or some better tires. how are these tires? from previous post they seem not to be very good.
Old 12-20-2003, 02:52 PM
Advanced

Rajuncajun you sound like you live in the lafayetter region of louisiana?
Old 12-20-2003, 05:54 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by tuan209
im leaning towards getting them also, buy my car doesnt arrive til middle to late jan. i havent decided if im going to get the mugen springs first or some better tires. how are these tires? from previous post they seem not to be very good.
I live in upstate NY and with all the snow we've had recently, They are marginal at best, keep in mind that they're All Season tires. I liked them for summer driving but Winter tires IMO are a neccessity for this car for areas in the Northeast. Unfortunately Winter tires are unavailable in stock sizes. But if anyone knows otherwise please correct me.
Old 12-20-2003, 07:58 PM
STi'd

Originally posted by TSX007
let us know if you get them I'd be curious to know how it compares to stock. Theoretically, it should be the best setup since the springs and shocks have been designed to work together, the only thing that's stopping me is the price $1000
I think there are Mugen coilovers for $1000, however they're non-adjustable for ride height and dampening. I'm curious to know what people's impressions of these coilovers are.
Old 12-21-2003, 12:06 AM
Intermediate

Comptech Springs

vince pennington - I've only heard good things so far about the Comptech springs, i.e., they don't create a harsh ride. It's just that I spent the last 10 years driving a Neuspeed/Boge setup on a 94 Jetta GLX and while I loved the way it drove and handled, the ride was a little too harsh at times. The TSX's chasis and suspension is far superior to that of my GLX and I've belive the Comptech springs would be just the right compromise between ride and sport handling. However, now that I found out I'll have to spend an additional $200+ for rear camber adjuster along with the cost of the springs spings, I'm not sure if it will be worth the money for me. It's all become a money priority thing because I'm really wanting to buy a flat panel TV............one toy after another........

hondaloyalist - Nope. I'm in OK. However, my family is from outside of Crowley, LA. Still own a rice farm down there.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:52 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally posted by Lung Fu Mo Shi
Could you explain what you mean? Do you mean the ride is signifcantly harsher, or that it feels more "controlled", etc.?
yea, the ride is ALOT harsher, feels like my old civic with lowering springs, cornering, even at low speeds is definetly improved, and there is a noticeable decrease in body roll as well..

i'm pretty much satisfied, but i wouldn't mind going a little lower. not sure if i want to deal with scraping my kit or rubbing if i decide to upgrade to a bigger wheel size,....

i would definetly drop a tsx though, the wheel gap is hideous and handling is sub par before lowering..
Old 12-29-2003, 03:53 PM
10th Gear

rajuncajun - thanks for the info. I use to drive a 96 GTI on Neuspeed and Bilstein setup. Looooved it! Miss my car . When I got into real estate it had to go. I love my TSX. My father in law got the new TL. He let me drive it . One word to describe it....POWERFUL! Peace.
Old 05-16-2004, 03:52 PM
cgt
Banned

Jiggaman, do u know of a good place in mass where i can get spring install?