A-spec suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 02:29 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A-spec suspension questions

Hi all,
Couple questions about the a-spec suspension. I'm looking to lower my car, but not drastically. I've hear the drop from the a-spec suspension is about 1", but also heard the drop is even less.

So, does anyone know exactly how much of a drop you get with the a-spec kit.

Also, anybody know how much it would cost to have it installed, either by a local garage or the dealership. I'd love the install it myself, but to afraid to mess things up.

Thanks
Old 08-08-2006, 02:37 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
The drop is a little less than an inch. It's not really noticeable unless you're parked next to a stock TSX.

As for the install, I got quotes ranging from $350 to as much as $900 to have the pre-assembled A-Specs put in. I just ended up saving myself the money and working on it with some of the other TSXers in the area. Ask and see if anyone with some more experience can help you out and do it yourself. It's the cheapest way to go and it's fun to do.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:40 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ha I was in the same shoes as you were in, I couldnt believe how the aspec did not reduce the ride height at all.

I ended up buying TEIN Basics Coilovers as you get best of both worlds, Ride height reduction + stiffer spring rates!

Even with the stock drop from the TEINS, the drop was still very subtle and I do not scrape at all! Let me know if you want pics!
Old 08-08-2006, 02:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
As CG said, the A-spec drop is at most an inch. I found a good shop that did it for less than $200 but it took a lot of searching. If you want the slammed look the A-spec is not for you. On the other hand, the drop is noticeable. I think it gives my TSX a slightly more aggressive stance. I think it looks better without looking like its "dropped".
Old 08-08-2006, 03:09 PM
Racer

The A-Spec is a good choice if you don't want to slam your car for whatever reason (living in San Francisco is my reason) but want a good handling improvement as well as a slight aesthetic improvement. The install takes a bit of a time, but is pretty easy with a helper and the right tools. I'd advise getting a car buddy to help you out and then just going to a shop for the alignment. The alignment will cost you at most $125 (dealer rate).
Old 08-08-2006, 03:15 PM
Burning Brakes

the quotes i got here from the DC/VA/MD metro was anywhere from 370 (including alignment) to 750 (w/o alignment). I agree with everyone here... just search around. oh btw the quotes i mentioned were from two different acura dealers.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:47 PM
Have camera, will travel

I watched mine being installed. If you have a good floor jack, some jack stands, the proper torque wrenches and are at least somewhat mechanically inclined, you could easily do it yourself and save a nice chunk of change. The job is straightforward.

Some of the dealer quotes I got around here were just ridiculous. Luckily, uber-tuner JTso lives in my neck of the woods Definitely a worthwhile upgrade.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:22 PM
Advanced

Anybody in central CT interested in helping me install a new suspension.

But really, new coilover would be nice, but I'm worried about a couple of things:
1. Heavy winter snow, and crapy roads in my area
2. Durability/Reliability of aftermarket coilovers
3. Affecting the car's warrenty if something goes wrong
4. My wife bitching that the car is to low

I want a more aggressive look and better handling, but don't want to slam the car

Any other suggestions
Old 08-08-2006, 10:20 PM
TSX Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Peart2112
Anybody in central CT interested in helping me install a new suspension.

But really, new coilover would be nice, but I'm worried about a couple of things:
1. Heavy winter snow, and crapy roads in my area
2. Durability/Reliability of aftermarket coilovers
3. Affecting the car's warrenty if something goes wrong
4. My wife bitching that the car is to low

I want a more aggressive look and better handling, but don't want to slam the car

Any other suggestions
A-Spec is not low at all. So perhaps Eibach springs is your best bet.