Slotted vs blank rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007 | 08:58 PM
Instructor

Slotted vs blank rotors

Just wondering how much faster it would be to wear out brake pads if using slotted rotors as opposed to blank rotors.
Old 06-21-2007 | 09:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Toms TeeSX
Just wondering how much faster it would be to wear out brake pads if using slotted rotors as opposed to blank rotors.
I would think that the pads would last longer on the slotted rotors because of the improved heat dissipation.
Old 06-22-2007 | 07:59 AM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Slots will shave the pads and are only really worth going for if you plan on tracking the car, since that's when the pads will develop glazing.
Otherwise, stick with drilled only or drilled with a couple of slots.
Old 06-22-2007 | 09:20 AM
East Coast Crew

Originally Posted by PJS
Slots will shave the pads and are only really worth going for if you plan on tracking the car, since that's when the pads will develop glazing.
Otherwise, stick with drilled only or drilled with a couple of slots.
I heard drilled was bad and that it's not worth it if you were driving on the streets? So what's going on.
Old 06-22-2007 | 11:39 AM
Instructor

just get blanks.
Old 06-22-2007 | 12:15 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by visuelz
I heard drilled was bad and that it's not worth it if you were driving on the streets? So what's going on.
Drilled cool much quicker due to the extra holes air can flow through, as well as the vanes.
Slots are primarily designed to deglaze the pads which happens when they are at higher heat levels for longer - as would be the case on track.
Slots are aggresive due to their action and design, so you'd be changing pads more often, and the additional braking power wouldn't really translate onto the road.
You'll get more squeal from slots as well.
So, all things considered, the cons of running slots on street outweigh the pros, which the drilled will provide 70-85% of anyway.
Old 06-22-2007 | 12:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by PJS
Drilled cool much quicker due to the extra holes air can flow through, as well as the vanes.
Slots are primarily designed to deglaze the pads which happens when they are at higher heat levels for longer - as would be the case on track.
Slots are aggresive due to their action and design, so you'd be changing pads more often, and the additional braking power wouldn't really translate onto the road.
You'll get more squeal from slots as well.
So, all things considered, the cons of running slots on street outweigh the pros, which the drilled will provide 70-85% of anyway.

Don't forget, given the same diameter rotor and pad friction surface, drilled rotors have less surface area to brake with and for general daily use, that can mean longer stopping distances. Cooling is plenty sufficient in blank, ventilated rotors.
Old 06-22-2007 | 01:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by moda_way
Don't forget, given the same diameter rotor and pad friction surface, drilled rotors have less surface area to brake with and for general daily use, that can mean longer stopping distances. Cooling is plenty sufficient in blank, ventilated rotors.

exactly, most people tend to overlook the fact that you get less surface with drilled and slotted.

drilled and slotted really only should be considered when some hard track use is planned.
Old 06-22-2007 | 02:03 PM
I Quit

IMO just get a set of brembo blanks and some hawk pads
Old 06-22-2007 | 02:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by h1coupe
exactly, most people tend to overlook the fact that you get less surface with drilled and slotted.

drilled and slotted really only should be considered when some hard track use is planned.
Those that just like the looks or are using on the track... the following doesn't apply...

When you see drilled and slotted on high performance cars, remember, the ratio of braking force (disc size, clamping force and disc surface area) to weight of the car is larger than what you're going to see on any other passenger car. So you really are just minimizing braking ability when you install cross-drilleds on our car. If you want to decrease braking distance, look at pad material, tires (the little realized factor in braking) and then decreasing the amount of weight you have in the car. That alone will make a bigger difference than any slotting or crossed drilled rotor of the same dimensions as our OEM ones.
Old 06-22-2007 | 03:16 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by h1coupe
I think the surface area lost to drilling is minimal in most cases, and if you're upgrading from stock, going to a slightly larger disk and pad will more than offset any loss in surface area from the holes compared to the stock setup.

Braking ability is a function both of the surface area, rotor mass, and the ability of the rotor to dissipate heat, and a drilled rotor is better at heat dissipation.

I put drilled rotors on the front brakes on my Jetta when I replaced them and loved them.
Old 06-22-2007 | 07:18 PM
Racer

I know you can get bigger disc and therefor gain back the lost braking surface. but going from stock to same size aftermarket slotted or drilled will in most cases loose you braking distance in regular driving, but you´ll gain it back in repeated hard braking situations.

for day to day use you don´t need it, but it looks good.