single exhaust system??

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 01:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
single exhaust system??

is there any company thats makes a single cat back exhaust system? it would perform a lot better....since it is a 4 banger and doesn't require 2 mufflers. it would also be less weight...so if there is a company, let me know.

thanx
Old 11-23-2003, 02:00 PM
Racer

why would you wanna put a single exhaust on tsx?

that is one of the thing that really attracted me to the car ... single exhaust would cheapen the car.... and for the comments I hear the tsx exhaust is already tuned for max performance ... really don't think that shavin 20 pounds and changing exhaust to single pipe would do much diff if any

$0.2 cents
Old 11-23-2003, 02:02 PM
Intermediate

the exhaust attracted you? dual exhaust on a 4 banger is pointless, you lose power, juss liek the s2k, no point in a dual exhaust...
Old 11-23-2003, 02:18 PM
Burning Brakes

i think mugen has a single exhaust.
Old 11-23-2003, 02:23 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by hOndafienD
the exhaust attracted you? dual exhaust on a 4 banger is pointless, you lose power, juss liek the s2k, no point in a dual exhaust...

The TSX doies not have a "dual exhaust" in the true sense of the word. Its still a single exhaust made into a y shape. The reason a dual exhaust is pointless on teh TSX is not because it has 4 cyclinders, but because it is "inline".

But you know ther are plenty of performance i4s and even i6s that have this y shaped exhaust. A big reason for it is probably just looks, but maybe there is increased airflow with this design . (assuming the leading pipe is big enough.)
Old 11-23-2003, 02:24 PM
10th Gear

yeah true....that prob costs and arm and a leg tho lol..
Old 11-23-2003, 03:12 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Incorrect. A duel exhaust lets you have high flow with less sound. You could have a single system that flows just as much but it would be much louder. It also lets you use small mufflers which can be kept out of the air stream for less drag.
Old 11-23-2003, 06:06 PM
Intermediate

i kno it;s not a true dual exhaust..but no need for the extra weight...no need for 2 mufflers...although i do agree that it's for looks
Old 11-23-2003, 06:25 PM
Audi Driving Snob

No honda/acura has a true duel exhaust. But that doesn't mean it's losing power or not needed. So really it's a compromise on weight for less sound/ better aerodynamics as well as looks.

For straight performance you could build a single system that flowed just as much and saved weight. But saying it's pointless isn't true.
Old 11-23-2003, 07:53 PM
Intermediate

how could 2 be more aerodynamic? there is no need for 2 mufflers for it to be quiet....they are pointless...all it is is show...nothing else...
Old 11-23-2003, 09:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
how could 2 be more aerodynamic? there is no need for 2 mufflers for it to be quiet....they are pointless...all it is is show...nothing else...
If the chassis is designed to receive 2 mufflers, but doesn't get one of them, obviously there will be a hole. Not only would this hole completely cancel the diffuser's effect, it would also act literally as a parachute. The TSX has a .27cd factor, which is really excellent for this type of car. The missing muffler could increase the cd factor to well above .30.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:29 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Originally posted by sauceman
If the chassis is designed to receive 2 mufflers, but doesn't get one of them, obviously there will be a hole. Not only would this hole completely cancel the diffuser's effect, it would also act literally as a parachute. The TSX has a .27cd factor, which is really excellent for this type of car. The missing muffler could increase the cd factor to well above .30.
THe other thing to note is the size of the tsx mufflers. Small..not very tall which keeps them out of the airflow underneat the car. FOr a single muffler to keep it as quiet it would need to be substantially larger whihc would cause it to dip down into the airflow more. They make mention of this on the vtec.net undercar review.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:37 PM
Intermediate

cool...but i wouldn't want to keep it quiet...lol...i like noise....not nasty exhaust but i liek a nice deep tone...
Old 11-24-2003, 06:08 PM
Automobile Aficionado

Our 4-banger with stock header will most likely perforn slightly better with a less restricitve single muffler/exhaust branching straight from the header. The "dual exhaust"(not a true dualy) kinda restricts max power from our stock header. In my opinion, to modlify the exhaust system-the best bet would be to wait untill something better is out there or do a custom job. Remove all uneccesary chambers and cats(will void warrenty, not to mention illegal) and add the comptech 4-2-1 header. Straight pipes.....oh yea. But most likey expect a whiny sound if you go the custom route(thats the 4 cylinders).
One guy i used to attend school with just bought a V6 accord and ordered flowmaster exhaust. He took the chambers off the flowmaster and introduced them into the V6 dual exhaust and ran straight pipes to the cats and then to the headers. And it sounds so bad ass. But wont pass emissions. And he is leasing!!!! LOL
I personaly love the look of our exhaust.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:54 PM
Intermediate

yeah i mean it looks good...but i rather have performance...finally sum1 agrees wit me on da restricness...lol...yeah all straight pipes will be a lot better....be emisions are mad strick...but theres always hookups..
Old 11-25-2003, 05:03 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah i mean it looks good...but i rather have performance...finally sum1 agrees wit me on da restricness...lol...yeah all straight pipes will be a lot better....be emisions are mad strick...but theres always hookups..
Yes but the differences (between aftermarket dual vs aftermarket signle) may be barely noticable. It would be pointless.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:40 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by fdl
Yes but the differences (between aftermarket dual vs aftermarket signle) may be barely noticable. It would be pointless.
And probably cancelled by the loss of aerodynamic efficiency.
Old 12-01-2003, 03:21 PM
Stokeless

i have a custom setup and it has a very deep tone...
Old 12-02-2003, 06:39 PM
Automobile Aficionado

Originally posted by Stokeless_TSX
i have a custom setup and it has a very deep tone...
Can you please further that statement
Old 12-02-2003, 06:44 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Originally posted by NJtsx
Can you please further that statement
I second that! Everyone that has aftermarket exhaust talks about how low and deep it is...but I want to hear an actual sound clip of it. HOpefully someone has one at the LA car show meet and I'll try and bring somethign to record.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:11 PM
Stokeless

back it up come see me hahah

if you wnat proof the best proof is to come see the car. but other than that i guess i can try to tape it. but tinky your in SD all you gotta do is go to engineuity in national city ask them bout the TSX they did and they will tell you bout it. or if you were at the extreme autofest on oct. 5th it was there and you would have heard it...hjad to start it and rev it a few times cuz my girl and her friend were playin the ps2 and bumpin the system so i didnt want the battery to die. but ill see if i can get it on tape. im not sure how i will get it while i am drivin but maybe sittin still i can have someone rev it for me
Old 12-03-2003, 06:50 PM
Automobile Aficionado

Re: back it up come see me hahah

Originally posted by Stokeless_TSX
if you wnat proof the best proof is to come see the car. but other than that i guess i can try to tape it. but tinky your in SD all you gotta do is go to engineuity in national city ask them bout the TSX they did and they will tell you bout it. or if you were at the extreme autofest on oct. 5th it was there and you would have heard it...hjad to start it and rev it a few times cuz my girl and her friend were playin the ps2 and bumpin the system so i didnt want the battery to die. but ill see if i can get it on tape. im not sure how i will get it while i am drivin but maybe sittin still i can have someone rev it for me
Right
Can you please describe your custom setup for those who dont live in Cali....custom tubing, cats?
Old 12-04-2003, 08:37 AM
Stokeless

ok i cut it off directly after the cat...used 2.5 inch tubing...cut and welded all the bends...so its mandrel bent. used straight through janspeed mufflers or aka TCS...they look just like my old RSR muffler from my integra. It doesnt have the rumble of the a 350z or a V8 but it has a deep tone to it....ill try to find a way to record it and put it online. dont know how i will do it but i will ask around oh yea no resonators and it still has the cat